• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~ A PTR for a CAMPING Trip That Might Never Be ~ *TR Started (link inside)*

carissanboys

DIS Veteran
I tried.

Really. I did.

But, I can resist the urge no longer.

Ever since I was bitten by the PTR bug last fall, I've been addicted. Yesterday, I posted the final installment in my first PTR/TR and therefore today I MUST start a new one. :sad2:

Does it matter that our next trip is pretty much only a glimmer of a possibility?

Does it matter that we could possibly be moving overseas next year and not even be on the same continent as Disney World?

Does it matter that IF we can even take another trip it won't be until November 2009?

Does it matter that I'm planning on tent camping at Fort Wilderness and we have yet to manage more than one night of camping as a family?

According to those I polled on the Dis, nope. Doesn't matter. :cool1:

So, go pop some corn, find a comfy seat and get ready for a LONG ride. It WILL get bumpy - that I can promise. :thumbsup2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheat Links

1) Meet My Crazy Crew
2) The Roadblocks Are Revealed
3) Question
4) Me Love Books
5) The Plan (that we all know will change a billion times over the next 20 months)
6) Sad News
7) Camping Gear
8) Picture of Me
9) Turkey Dinner
10) I Booked My Trip
11) Brief Hiatus
12) First Camping Trip - Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3
13) Update
14) My Birthday Weekend - Mini TR
15) Take A Seat
16) Our Itinerary 19 Months Out
17) Can It Be???
18) So, What the Heck Have You Been Up To??
19) We're Booked!
20) Epcot Stuff/Henna Tattoo
21) Oops
22) ADRs Are Made
23) Alaska
24) Must Dos
25) Pin Trading
26) Disney Dining Plan
27) Park Plans and Restaurant Choices
28) Got 'Em!
29) Camping - A Mini TR
30) Run To Target!
31) Sea World
32) Aerophile
33) A Personalized Design
34) Happy Disney Anniversary
35) CHECK!
36) Mail Time
37) Amish Friendship Bread Experiment
38) Raglan Road Online
39) I Am Smitten
40) Just Call Me a HIP Mama
41) Goodies and an Offer
42) Countdowns and Valentines
43) A Productive Weekend
44) A Smile On My Face
45) Driving Revisited
46) Mysterious Visitor Revealed
47) We're Moving To...
48) A Present, a Party, and Stitch Mischief
49) Mousekeeping Envelopes
50) Stitch's Great Escape
51) Trivia Question and Poll
52) Sportin' Mickey Toes
53) Final Countdown Video
54) Hi - ho, Hi - ho, It's Off to Disney We Go

And the link to the trip report - "What's the Big Deal With Staying On Property Anyway? My 35th Birthday TR!"

Up Next...Meet My Crazy Crew

Carissa this PTR should be lots of fun and we don't have to worry about it ending any time soon:rotfl:
You're very brave to even consider camping for a week with three kids, but I guess we do what we can to get back to the World. We're currently thinking of heading back in August 2009, but I'm afraid it will be super hot. It's going to be fun to follow your adventures!

Jenny

Carissa this PTR should be lots of fun and we don't have to worry about it ending any time soon:rotfl:
You're very brave to even consider camping for a week with three kids, but I guess we do what we can to get back to the World. We're currently thinking of heading back in August 2009, but I'm afraid it will be super hot. It's going to be fun to follow your adventures!

Jenny

Yeehaw! Let the par-tay begin party: The nice thing about starting a second PTR is at least I don't have to worry that NO ONE will read it (at least, I hope I don't have to worry about that - hmmmm - maybe I do now that everyone knows what to expect from me :confused3 ).

I don't think I could do Florida in August. Chuck and I were talking about possible duty stations for his next (and FINAL) tour and we were talking about him being stationed on a ship. He mentioned being based out of Jacksonville, Florida and I was like, NO WAY. I could not handle the heat and humidity that IS Florida summers. However, Liz said it wasn't bad when they went this past August. But, I think she's more of a hot weather person than I am.

I'm glad to have you along for this ride, too :) I think it'll be a very interesting PTR to say the least. And you'll have to keep me posted on your possible trip next August.

Oh, no - you guys beat me to it! :lmao:

A week of camping - hm, not sure I'm that brave, even for Disney. A long weekend is the longest I've managed, tent camping. Well, I did do a month of travelling one summer in grad school where I sort of rotated tent camping, cheap motels/hostels, and staying with friends and relatives. Not sure the longest tent stint on that trip. But, I don't do well tent camping in heat and humidity. And you definitely won't find me anywhere in Florida during the summer of my own free will!

(Re-reading - you are planning November camping, not August. Phew!)

Oh, and we've done long weekends as a family, camping. Last summer, we couldn't find our old tent, so splurged on a huge one with a screened-in porch thingy. That was really cool. And my sister gave me another air mattress for my birthday, so we don't have to be all squished.

But, hey, we've got a new PTR hangout! :banana:

Oh, no - you guys beat me to it! :lmao:

A week of camping - hm, not sure I'm that brave, even for Disney. A long weekend is the longest I've managed, tent camping. Well, I did do a month of travelling one summer in grad school where I sort of rotated tent camping, cheap motels/hostels, and staying with friends and relatives. Not sure the longest tent stint on that trip. But, I don't do well tent camping in heat and humidity. And you definitely won't find me anywhere in Florida during the summer of my own free will!

(Re-reading - you are planning November camping, not August. Phew!)

Oh, and we've done long weekends as a family, camping. Last summer, we couldn't find our old tent, so splurged on a huge one with a screened-in porch thingy. That was really cool. And my sister gave me another air mattress for my birthday, so we don't have to be all squished.

But, hey, we've got a new PTR hangout! :banana:

Irene is here! :cheer2:

Yeah, there's NO WAY I'd go camping in Florida in August. But, there are people that do it and use air conditioners in their tent windows (I'm completely serious, BTW). I figure end of November should be good. Warm during the days, cooler at night, but not too cool. I don't like sleeping when it's warm anyway.

There will be lots of camp talk to come.

Before I go any further and give you all of the crazy details of this VERY much "Up In The Air Trip", let's introduce the cast. Most of you will already be familiar with my family, but for those that might be newbies, here's my crazy crew:

Me :goodvibes (33) - I'm Carissa and I'm the pilot of this ship. I'm kinda controlling (as my lovely husband has recently told me) so trip planning is right up my alley. :thumbsup2 I'm a mom by trade and also taking classes online as I work towards my Bachelors Degree. I am obsessed with everything travel related. I love to read travelogues, plan trips and basically transport myself elsewhere. When I'm not planning a trip or reading about far away places, I like to loom knit. It's a new hobby of mine and some of my creations may find their way into this PTR. Yes, you will be obliged to "oooohhhhhh" and "aaaaahhhhhh" over my crafts. My favorite things are Guinness, the Red Sox and Patriots, Australia, the ocean and music.

recentcarissa.jpg
with glasses
carissaavatar-1.jpg
and without ;)

Chuck - DH (34) - My husband of almost 9 years is active duty Navy, currently stationed in the Washington D.C. area. He's basically a computer geek, but does quite a bit of traveling with his job. He has grown to love Disney and even though he laughs at my planning craziness, he greatly appreciates my "controlling" behavior once we arrive at Disney World and our trips go smashingly. His main hobby is playing World of Warcraft, but he also takes classes online. His favorite things are lasagna, computers, good beer and O.A.R. (a Maryland band).

058.jpg

Sullivan - DS (7.5) - Our oldest son may only be 7, but most days I think he's already hit puberty. He has the attitude thing down pat. He's a good kid and very socialable. His favorite things are seafood, History, playing outside with friends, Pokemon and his Gameboy. He will be making a trip to Alaska with me this summer (more on that later). He's also quite the ladies man and has a girlfriend in his 2nd grade class.

IMG_3535.jpg

Owen - DS (5.5) - Owen is the middle child (just like I am ;)) and he's sandwiched between two trying brothers. He's extremely affectionate and loving and thankfully, very easygoing. Owen is pretty much the only one of my three that will pose with the characters at Disney World. His favorite things are apples, learning, soccer, Pokemon and playing his Gameboy. He loves school and is in the first grade.

IMG_3536.jpg

Connor - DS (3.5) - Our youngest has the distinction of being born Down Under. He was born in Alice Springs, Australia where we lived for three years (Chuck was stationed there). Maybe it was being born in the Outback, but that boy has been a handful since he was born. He has a Jeckyl and Hyde personality - sometimes he's the cutest thing since baby monkies and other times his tantrums are enough to have me committed. He has bowel issues, which will definitely come up in this PTR (you haven't read TMI until you've read MY PTR's - consider yourself warned). His favorite things are strawberries, hotwheels and Mickey Mouse.

IMG_3537.jpg

Josie the Kitten (soon to be Cat) - (10 months) Josie comes to play in my PTR because she's a member of the family and one that we must make arrangements for when we're going to be away. She's a good cat and she loves her boys.

IMG_3545.jpg

Pepere - (59) - My dad and stepmother have joined us on our previous two trips and I'm sure they'll be joining us on this one as well. Pepere (French Canadian for grandfather) was quite the star in my last TR. ;) He's a workaholic who has been selling flooring for as long as I can remember. His favorite things are the Boston Red Sox, the New England Patriots, golf and watching TV.

IMG_3376.jpg

Memere - (50) - Carol has been my stepmother for 28 years and we're very close. My boys adore her and the feeling is very mutual. She and Sully have a very special relationship. We've loved having them along with us on our other trips and look forward to a third vacation together. Memere works for a chemical company in Maine (my parents live in Maine, which is where I grew up and lived until I was 19). She recently lost her father, at the age of 85, and her mother still needs a lot of care. Her favorite things are her grandchildren, reading, the Red Sox and Patriots and their dog Pooky.

IMG_3330.jpg

There you have the gang. Here are a few group shots to share with you from our last trip:

hoopdeedoo.jpg

chefmickeysfamilypic.jpg

And that concludes your ride along with my crazy crew. I'm sure you will become VERY acquainted with them over the next 20 months. :rotfl:

Up Next...The Roadblocks Are Revealed

I'm here!!:yay: So glad you started a new one and that I get to be a part of a new journey. :thumbsup2

Yay! Cherie is here! :cool1: Now we need to get the other Cherie to come over ;)

If you don't do a PTR for your next trip are you going to at least do a TR? I NEED to hear all about it! :)

Well a PTR that has Red Sox and Patriots lovers and a Memere is PTR I want to be a part of!!! I love that you had to explain the French Canadian grandparent names. I guess it's a New England thing.

I predict that you will be in a cabin not a tent by the time we get to the actual trip.

Well a PTR that has Red Sox and Patriots lovers and a Memere is PTR I want to be a part of!!! I love that you had to explain the French Canadian grandparent names. I guess it's a New England thing.

I predict that you will be in a cabin not a tent by the time we get to the actual trip.

And I'm always happy to have other New England fans join in!! :cheer2: Since baseball season will be starting soon, you can bet there will be Sox talk here :thumbsup2

Your prediction is understandable, however, if we don't do the tent camping, it's not going to be cabins (can't afford those babies!).

Before I get to the roadblocks, I should mention our Disney World experience. Every last one of our crazy crew members went to the Happiest Place On Earth for the VERY 1st time in March 2007. We stayed at Shades of Green and had a great, albeit exhausting, time.

We recently returned to Disney World at the end of January of this year. We stayed off property in a wonderful townhouse at Windsor Hills. There's a PTR/TR of that trip if you're interested (link is in my signature). I am both happy and sad to say that it is complete. You might get more of the "inside jokes" if you read it - just sayin'. ;)

Now, let's get to those roadblocks!

Roadblock # 1

Before we even left to go on our trip in January, we had decided that it would be the last trip for a while. We have some credit card debt to pay off and with dh retiring from the Navy in 5 years, we really need to get our finances in a better place - and save money so that we can buy a house when he gets out.

But, you all know how it is. You're at Disney World, having a blast, immersed in the magic and you start thinking and planning your next trip. "Oh! Next time I really want to do that." "Next time I want to stay here!" "It's not a big deal if we don't get to try that this time, because we can try it NEXT time!" You with me?

The problem was, I knew there might not be a NEXT time anytime soon. :( And this made me so very sad.

I knew we had to wait at least two years to return in order to give us some time to get in a good place with our budget. So, I figured the end of 2009 was close enough, right? I've really wanted to see Disney World all decorated for the holidays and that time of year should be nice weather-wise. We originally thought the week after Christmas would be good since the boys wouldn't miss any school. But, then I realized that was THE busiest week at Disney. I really don't think we'd enjoy ourselves with such crazy crowds.

So, Thanksgiving week became my next choice. The boys will already have a couple of days off that week so they won't miss too much. The weather will be good. The decorations should be up. Win-win all around :banana:

Roadblock # 2

I mentioned that Chuck is in the Navy. The Navy keeps me happy by moving us every three years. Ideally, I'd be happy moving every two, especially if I'm living somewhere I'm not too thrilled with (such as now). I love change and seeing new places. Remember, one of my passions is travel. :love: I guess you could say I get bored easily. Anyway, we're due to PCS next June.

At this moment, we have no idea where we'll be going. We could remain in the states, although this is only likely if Chuck gets stationed on a ship, which he's never done. It's also the only way that I see us actually being able to go to Disney World at the time we're planning. We could be moving overseas, which I would love to do again, although that means the trip would most likely be off. However, if that does happen, I could see myself scrambling to try and plan a trip before we leave. :thumbsup2

We can start looking at possible duty stations about 9-12 months out of our rotation date, which means sometime between June and September we should have a better idea of what's going on. It'll be a nail biter until then!

Roadblock # 3

We've never stayed on property, unless you count Shades of Green, which technically IS on property, but technically not a Disney resort. Part of me would really like to experience a Disney resort, but the only way I can see us affording it in the near future is if we stay at Fort Wildnerness. And I'm not talkin' about the cabins. Those cabins are pricey! Since they only hold 6 people, we couldn't even share one with my parents. Tent camping is our only option.

I love the idea of tent camping. While we were living in Australia, we bought all sorts of camping gear and attempted to camp twice. But, we were in the Outback. The combination of heat (even though we camped during cool-ish months), super pesky flies and a harsh environment that consisted of dirt, pricklys and no shade or grass made it very difficult to enjoy with three very young children. Both times we went out, we spent hours setting up (mainly Chuck set up while I kept the kids out of trouble) and then immediately tore everything down the next morning and went home. :sad2:

Now that we are back in the states, we plan on attempting to camp again. We're hopeful that we'll have a very different experience this time around. This PTR will surely be full of mini-trip reports of our practice attempts.

I've been in love with Fort Wilderness since I first heard about it and that love grew during our last trip when we actually got to visit during our dinner at Hoop Dee Doo. If you've never been over there, I highly recommend a visit. It is such a relaxing atmosphere. As scared as I am about tent camping for a week with young children while park hopping during the day (meaning tired at the end), part of me really thinks we'd have a blast. There's so much to do at the Fort and I think the payoff would be worth whatever hassles might arise.

Here's some pictures from our time at the Fort in January. Notice how happy everyone is. :goodvibes

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

I mentioned my plan to tent camp to my parents. They loved Windsor Hills and I knew my dad especially would be a bit bummed about not going back. If they didn't want to join us for camping, we'd have to figure something else out for them, such as staying at a value resort. My stepmother brought up the idea of renting a camper down there for them to stay in and that way we'd also have somewhere dry if it rained. We'll have to see where this path leads.

And there you have the majority of our plans so far. We're at the bare-bones-basic-plans stage right now. :rotfl:

As always, suggestions and comments are most welcome. :flower3:

Up Next...Question

Hi,
I saw your link and came on over. I hope you get to go. We are actually looking at places in Florida to buy. I am thinking Celebration but Biff wants to be by the beach. We shall see.

Looking forward to more.

Pimp yourself on my threads. Go do it, you know you want to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter