A little worried about solo- expenses, dining and rides

Jerusalem Gal

DIS Veteran
Hi guys,

I posted here while considering a solo trip a few months ago but ended up getting cold feet and taking my teenage sister with me, paying for both of us. (!!!)
(It was a split stay- Pop and Contemporary- and I splurged on a theme park view at CR.)

I was planning a trip for this October but my friend ended up bailing on me and here I am again, back to square one. No one to go with, no one to split the expenses with (we're talking international flights, about $1000 just to get there), no one to get excited with or meet characters with or get on rides with.

I'm not good at being alone (even though I live alone) and doing stuff on my own. :(
I've read all the threads about soloists on rides, character meets etc. but I'm still worried I'd chicken out and not want to do anything (except eat which I don't mind so much by myself..)

There are a few scenarios I can imagine:

Either I get there, not do anything except watch shows/parades and eat for a few days and then finally come to the realization that no one gives a %&@* what I'm doing so I might as well try to have fun and enjoy what's left of my trip.

Or I get there and cannot bring myself to get on any rides or meet any characters for my entire trip (which could definitely happen).

Or, maybe I'll surprise myself and have a really great time and do every single thing I want to. Maybe.

Bottom line is I'm feeling it's a risk and I'm wondering if I should take it.

I know I'll have to decide for myself but if you guys have any insights or suggestions, I would LOVE to hear them!

Thank you so much! :)

Going alone is fun! I did it all the time heifer I moved here, and still do actually!

You choose what you want, where you want to eat, what to ride. It's sooooo great.

I can assure you, us CMs don't think it's weird if it's just you. Heck, most of us will try and engage you in talking and chatting. Especially if you're from overseas, it will be so cool to hear stories!

Depending on when you go, there will be other people from, this board to meet up with, or meetup.com might have a few things planned when you are around here. I'm always down for meeting new people as well

So in short. DO IT!

Going alone is fun! I did it all the time heifer I moved here, and still do actually!

You choose what you want, where you want to eat, what to ride. It's sooooo great.

I can assure you, us CMs don't think it's weird if it's just you. Heck, most of us will try and engage you in talking and chatting. Especially if you're from overseas, it will be so cool to hear stories!

Depending on when you go, there will be other people from, this board to meet up with, or meetup.com might have a few things planned when you are around here. I'm always down for meeting new people as well

So in short. DO IT!
Thanks for this!
I really really really hope I can bring myself to do this! I mean, worst case, I wasted some money (but at least I like the food) and learned my lesson. How bad could it be??
:rolleyes:

I've been on 3 solo trips and am planning my 4th this Sept. I was a little hesitant the first time, even though I travel solo all the time to different places. No need to be though, I had a ball and now might actually enjoy it more than when my son travels with me. The CMs don't blink an eye when you get on a ride solo, they have no idea if you are by yourself all day or just by yourself for that ride because someone you are with doesn't want to ride it. I can't tell you how many times I've struck up a conversation with another solo person in a line and ended up riding the ride with them then going our separate ways after. I would suggest if you aren't used to eating alone you start going out by yourself a few times at home just to get the feel of it. I have my kindle downloaded on my phone and after the CM takes my order I read while I eat but there have been many times I've just enjoyed my meal and watching people. I tend to go slower when I'm solo. I don't normally have a lot of plans so if I want to ride a ride and there is a line, no big deal, I stand in line. The reverse is true as well, if there is a long line and I don't really want to ride a ride my son would have wanted to ride, I just pass it by. I find myself paying more attention to just the details of the place, again I've found myself just standing and looking up in the countries in WS and loving the detail I never noticed before. It is what you make of it and if you go knowing you are going to have a good time and you are going to just enjoy the moment, chances are you will.

You should totally do it! I just went by myself this past May and had a blast! Going again for a week in December! Didn't have to worry about what anyone else wanted to do, eat, ride, etc. It was very relaxing actually. Just went at my own pace. And like others have said, you almost always can chat it up with someone in line; it's fun meeting people from all over the world and talking to them. Try it once--if you don't have a good time, don't do it again. But I bet you will!! ::MickeyMo

Not having someone to split the hotel room with is the worst! It definitely doesn't help the budget, that's for sure.

I have gone solo on a few short trips. For me, the worst part was eating alone - but that's just my issue. I selected a lot of my dining based on seating - which sounds weird I know, but I hated trying to find a place to sit in a super crowded place by myself. God forbid you forget a fork, because then you have to do the whole thing over again.

I sought out places that were a little quieter (think- upstairs at CHH) or where i had a great view and could people watch. I also had my e-reader to pull out if I felt like I wanted a book distraction (or phone). I also ate at some TS places I otherwise wouldn't have either because my DH doesn't like it or because my budget doesn't cover full meals for three of us there.

The best part is really getting to do things at your pace. I love looking in shops around the WS - my family DOES NOT. They will give me a few but they get antsy, especially because I don't buy anything!!

I read your TR from your trip with your sister, so I know you have a great personality and will have no problem striking up conversations with strangers.

Jerusalem Gal, I loved your dining reviews! Going solo for the first time can be scary. I'm a very shy, introvert person and the past couple of years I did a week at WDW, a week at USR and some days at DLR, all solo. I'm also visually impaired which really limits my park touring to just days (no night touring) and dealing with crowds with limited vision. For queues that were very dark I had to ask a CM for help and they were wonderful! The first time I rode Mine Train the CM helped me along through the line and then got on board with me and pointed out all the special touches of the ride.
I guess my point is this...if the shyest most self-conscious, half-blind person can handle WDW solo then I believe anyone can. Sure, I missed my family sometimes and some situations were a bit awkward but overall I had a great time and I plan on doing it again this November.
I rarely felt alone anyway as talking to people in line or waiting for a show or parade is just so easy.
And the freedom to do whatever you want, WHEN you want is priceless. I spent 2 hours in that store in Japan. No way would I have been able to do that if I was with someone else!
All I can say is give it a try. It's the only way to know if solo traveling is for you. :)

Keep in mind that no one knows you are alone, especially when you are waiting in lines for a ride. People are very self-centered and really won't give you a second thought.

When DD brings a friend, I give them some time on their own. I enjoy being able to go at my own pace for a while. You can use all the single rider lines, eat exactly what you want, and squeeze yourself into a small space at the last minute for parades or fireworks. You really can have a great time alone!

Let's say you don't do it. Are you out that flight money? $1000 would be enough to convince me to go!

My very first solo trip was much like yours, i had a friend going but ended up cancelling last minute.

I had considered cancelling myself, but took a chance on it. I am so so so so so so so so so glad that i did.

I went in with absolutely no expectations on what would happen and the outcome was wonderful.

If you cannot afford to travel on your own, obviously you should consider cancelling. But if it won't break the bank, i really suggest giving it a try.

As i am sure you have already read, the positives of solo Disney travel are numerous. The detractors few.

The biggest hurdle to get over is the worry that you might not enjoy it on your own, as you won't have someone with you to bounce the joy off of.

Go with an open mind. You will find that it is refreshing to go where you want, when you want to. You can eat what you want, sleep in or stay up late if you want, ride what you want, do as little or as much as you are content to.

Depending on your personality, you will have a lot of opportunity to strike up conversations with random people in queues and around the grounds.

If there was any place on Earth that you could travel to alone and feel welcome, safe and engaged, it would be Disney.

I highly recommend giving it a try!

Thank you SO MUCH to all of you!!!
I'd like to answer each one of you individually but it's after midnight here so I promise to do so tomorrow ::yes::
I'm writing just to let you all know- I booked a trip!!!!!!!!!!! My first solo trip!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:jumping1: party: :disrocks:

I love you guys!!!!

Woo Hoo!!!!

I already booked my Nov 29th-Dec 6th trip, but seeing this makes me want to book another :P

My checking account just glared at me!!

You said the trip is in October, so hop to Epcot most days and browse the Food & Wine booths rather than eat at a restaurant. Most people are more than willing to share the walk-up tables and start conversations over the food tastings. I have met people from all over the world doing this.

I think the rides and shopping would be the best part of going solo. Several of my trips have been with people who don't do big rides so I either get the single rider queue or I start writing hotel reviews etc while I wait.
Good luck!
I'm thinking of going solo next year :earsgirl:

The CMs don't blink an eye when you get on a ride solo, they have no idea if you are by yourself all day or just by yourself for that ride because someone you are with doesn't want to ride it.
Yes, I'll keep reminding myself that!

I don't normally have a lot of plans so if I want to ride a ride and there is a line, no big deal, I stand in line.
Right! Like Peter Pan! :D
Thanks for your input!

Try it once--if you don't have a good time, don't do it again. But I bet you will!!
I'm betting on it and hope I bet right :-) That's really what made me decide to do it. You live and learn. Disney will always be fun, even if I never get on a single ride. And I'll know for next time. Thank you!

Not having someone to split the hotel room with is the worst!
It is! So instead of booking a mod + deluxe I just booked Pop for the whole trip. I'm not gonna spend much time in my room anyway :D

I read your TR from your trip with your sister, so I know you have a great personality and will have no problem striking up conversations with strangers.
That's so nice of you!!! :cloud9: I hope so!

Jerusalem Gal, I loved your dining reviews!
Thank you!!! I'll have a new one to write before too long!

The first time I rode Mine Train the CM helped me along through the line and then got on board with me and pointed out all the special touches of the ride.
That's heartwarming! I love Disney cast members! And I find it fairly easy to ask for help because they're usually so friendly! :love:

And the freedom to do whatever you want, WHEN you want is priceless. I spent 2 hours in that store in Japan. No way would I have been able to do that if I was with someone else!
All I can say is give it a try. It's the only way to know if solo traveling is for you. :)
2 hours in Japan!!!! WOW!
I will definitely give it a try! Thank you so much!

Keep in mind that no one knows you are alone, especially when you are waiting in lines for a ride. People are very self-centered and really won't give you a second thought.
Yep! I gotta try and remember that :-) Thank you!

The biggest hurdle to get over is the worry that you might not enjoy it on your own, as you won't have someone with you to bounce the joy off of.
Exactly! Who will I yell at when the parade starts??? :sad2:

You said the trip is in October, so hop to Epcot most days and browse the Food & Wine booths rather than eat at a restaurant. Most people are more than willing to share the walk-up tables and start conversations over the food tastings. I have met people from all over the world doing this.
Oh, F&W is the main reason for my choosing these dates! :D And y'know, I actually don't mind eating alone so much. Hope it'll all go smoothly :)
Thank you for writing!

Congrats on booking your trip!im also doing my first solo (as of right now) trip in October and it cannot get here fast enough!
YAY!!!!!!!!!! It's just around the corner!!!!

I'm local and go solo all the time - it can be a lot of fun! I love the freedom that comes from being able to change my schedule on a whim if I want, to choose what I want to eat, etc, without having to discuss it with anyone else. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Everyone else has covered all the other points pretty well, but I want to add a bit about the characters. Character meets are one of my favorite parts of visiting WDW! One thing I always recommend is collecting autographs. Having something for the character to sign, even just an autograph book, is a great ice breaker. They'll sign first before posing for photos, so it gives both you and the character a chance to figure out something to say (or mime, for the non-face-characters).

For even more fun, you can pick something more interesting to collect signatures on - a pillow case or picture frame or hat or those special stuffed animals they sell for collecting autographs at graduations and such. Whatever you choose, it gives you the motivation to hunt down and meet characters, something to talk about with them, and a great souvenir to take home with you at the end of the trip.

I hope you have a great trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter