• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Grand Tour of The Entire Midwest, But Mostly Wisconsin (UPDATE 11/12--BONUS Texas TR NOW COMPLETE)

Neat afternoon & evening visiting Mt. Rushmore! We took the Presidential Trail and enjoyed it ... it was nicely maintained, gave a neat perspective of the four presidents and got us away from the crowds a bit, but it was definitely not stroller friendly.

Your steak looks good, bummer it was so tough.

I hope you had a good time at Hilton Head! I'm jealous, but I hope we get a few pictures of that grand villa. :)

I'm back!

Sorry I've been slow to get to replies. With the holidays and then returning to work to dig through emails, it's been hard to find time to do responses. I think I finally can start doing that now, although I have a few TR's to catch up with around here as well.

We really loved Disney's Hilton Head Resort. It was a nice little taste of Disney, and it's a great little retreat with the same Disney touches you know and love. However, now everyone got a taste of Disney and is begging to go back to WDW. But you knew that would happen.

Hey! I see you're on....

I haven't forgotten to comment here, Mark. Same reasons you have- holidays, family, the formidable aftermath.

I have Friday off, so hopefully some good DISTime then. Meantime, great to see you had a really wonderful time at HH!

Thanks for a pre-Thanksgiving update. You two have a fabulous time at Hilton Head! Enjoy every minute! comments later this weekend.

Thanks, Liesa! We did indeed have a really nice time. It's a neat resort. And for once on our trips, we spent a lot of time doing absolutely nothing!

Oh really? Where was that joke? I must have missed that update. :rotfl2:

Laugh it up, fuzzball.

So, a cheap day for a hitchhiker or vagabond. For anyone else, not so much.

That about sums it up. And good luck riding your bike or hiking up the mountain to get there.

Oh good, I thought it was just my family who were goofballs.

Perish the thought!

Yep, I can see that. Definitely looks impressive, I'm sure even more so in person. I'm not sure I'll ever get there since it's really not something to plan a trip around. It's more of a "let's stop by on our way to something" place.

Yes, definitely a "see it on the way" place more than a destination. But there is enough in the Black Hills to make spending a couple of days there worthwhile.

Obviously not. It clearly resembles a cheap non-Eastern themed tourist trap.

Clearly. I'm glad we all agree on that.

Well, things keep getting better. Imagine what you might be doing by your 25th!

Taco Bell, here we come!:woohoo:

Well, in the end, that's what really matters. At least Julie enjoyed it.

Yeah, I'm sure the evening would have been much worse if Julie had a bad experience.

OK, I'm in! Maybe I will plan that trip to Mt. Rushmore after all!

Like cheese and bacon, pyrotechnics make everything better.

Thanks for the belated wishes. Enjoy your trip and happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Thanks!:goodvibes

Hey! I see you're on....

I haven't forgotten to comment here, Mark. Same reasons you have- holidays, family, the formidable aftermath.

I have Friday off, so hopefully some good DISTime then. Meantime, great to see you had a really wonderful time at HH!

I hear ya! Your TR is one of the ones I have fallen behind on! I will get over there soon.

Talk about misdirection... I never would have guessed.

Heh. I'm tricky like that!

Well, at least every anniversary seems to be an adventure!

I think it's fun to celebrate in different places. Thankfully, Julie likes it too. Except for that food court.

Look, if you'd have just waited until he had French fries, cookies and ketchup, then you might have had a good 12 seconds or so to actually get a couples photo sans kids.

I can't believe we made such a rookie parent mistake.

That sucks.

Yes. Yes, it does.

Didn't even notice the coffee... All I see is a cinnamon roll.

I can't blame you there. Those things are breakfast crack.

::yes:: Great picture. The shark coming out of Scotty's chest is the icing on the cake.

He's gonna need a bigger boat. We always like to class up the family photo like that.

Nope. They're never too obvious. I'm disappointed. I want a refund!

Fine. Check's in the mail.

Have a BLAST!!!!!

There it is. I can always count on fellow DIS Dads to pick me up.

Hi Mark! I'm a little late to the party but am here and really enjoying your TR so far!

:welcome: Alison!

Great picture of your kids in front of Mt. Rushmore. That seems like a really cool attraction to visit one day!

Thanks! I think we'd all say we're glad we got to see it.

Enjoy your stay at The Hilton Head! I'm looking forward to hearing your review on it. It looks like a fun place.

I will try and get some photos uploaded for a mini-TR. It was a great place to hang out!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Same to you! (belated)

You didn't see him? About 3 weeks ago? Dude, you need to time your bathroom breaks better.

Dagnabbit. I should probably stop drinking these 44-oz. sodas, too.

I'm sure you're right. That's the nice thing about a civilized society. No rioting or anything. Like your elections!

:sad2:

Do you by any chance have some French blood in you?

That joke never gets old!:rotfl:

It's legit! I got a similar email! And the cheque's already on its way!

Dang! You beat me to it! Remember me when you have your untold wealth.

Those aren't blurry... their.... artistic.

Ah...my mistake.

Well, you could've given us a little hint.
In my contest, I asked which park I was going to next and I hinted that it was Magic Kingdom.

Sorry. I'll try and dumb it down next time. That's not easy in my TR's.

Oh! And all these years I thought it was Borglum's idea. Sort of like "I have an idea and I can build it."

I think Borglum basically took over somewhere along the way. Robinson had the original idea, and then as it morphed over time, more people took ownership of it and he kind of faded to the background.

Well, it certainly did that.

Worked like a charm!

I'm almost positive this couldn't be done today.
"Hi. I'd like to blow up half a mountain to shove some faces on it, okay?"

Can you imagine all of the environmental groups you'd have to face?

Was fuzzy on the dates, but I did know that. Always wondered if he'd have finished it (as the original model depicted, I mean.)

original-rushmore.jpg

I don't think so. They had originally planned to put Jefferson to Washington's right, but the rock was too unstable. I don't think they had enough material to do the whole thing.

That's actually quite remarkable, given the times.

Yes! Pretty amazing.

Oh! Okay!! :lmao: :rotfl: Good one!

:woohoo:

Oh. Then I'm changing my answer to: :sad2:

Son of a...

Whoa! Now it's been way too many years, but I'm pretty sure none of that was there when I visited. I think it was just a lot with nothing else there.

I was there as a kid, and it was completely different from what I remembered as well.

And is there anywhere even remotely close where you could leave a vehicle and hike up?

Not really. Keystone is a couple of miles away, but it was a fairly steep climb from there.

I gotta know. Did you deliberately pose in a similar way to the monument behind you? Or just a lucky coincidence?

I wish I could claim that we were that good. I can barely get everyone facing towards the camera in a photo.

:laughing: Okay, that's more like it.

See?

Then why aren't you on the first pillar?

They did it alphabetically.:sad2:

::yes:: I remember that. Even from back then.

:thumbsup2

And.... I remember that too. "Wow! Cool!..... Now what?"

Sort of like Clark Griswold at the Grand Canyon.

Yeah, there's really not much point in making the long trek just to see this:

mt-rushmore1.jpg

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I was waiting for somebody to post that one.

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw years ago. It was just one picture. But it showed a man sitting on a plank suspended by ropes, snipping a tree branch out of Washington's nostril.

Nice! I figured all of those rocks piled down below the sculpture were evidence of past nasal cleansing.

Agreed. To all that.

:thumbsup2

No! Happy belated anniversary!

Hey, thanks!:goodvibes

If you won't tell mine, I won't tell yours.

It's a deal. I don't want to screw this up.

I like it. Classy.

Just like every other place we go!

She shot you down, huh?

Story of my love life.

Looks and sounds good....

.... Dang.

Yeah...the picture was better.

Woot! That's a win!

Any day I don't get kicked out is a win!

I think so. You could do a lot worse.
We usually can't decide and end up with a collage for the card.

Holy crap! I need to see this place. Not 'want'... need.

Pyrotechnics! You set them off! Is there anything better than that?

Can't say as I blame you. "Outta the way kid. You don't have any real stress in your life yet."

Darn right. They don't know how good they have it.

And yet... I'm vaguely dissatisfied.

Sorry. Andy picked up my slack, though.

That's a really nice touch. Fitting, given the locale.

Agreed. It was pretty cool.

So that was, what. Around 9pm or so when it started? How long til it ended? Or til you got back to the hotel?

Yeah, I think it was around 9:00 p.m. or so. They were waiting till it got dark. The film was about 20 minutes, and then the ceremony about 20-30. It was a little slow because there were a lot of vets, and they let everyone introduce themselves once they were up on stage. I'd say we finished around 9:45-ish.

All right! You rock, dude!

You're not scared to use the Dad jokes!

Well, it's about time. sheesh.

Fine. Be that way.

Dang! I should've caught that one!

My hints were probably too obscure.

Because really is there any other reason to visit?

Sure! Jewel Cave, Wind Cave, Badlands, the missile site...

That's pretty good considering Hoover Dam, The Golden Gate and Brooklyn Bridges.

Exactly. Not exactly a good track record on these projects.

That's HUGE! That entire area is massive. I would love to take a helicopter tour there!

It really has grown so much since the last time I was there! (25 years ago)

I like the second one better.

It's more fun.

I don't know if I'll ever get there, but it looks massive. Very impressive.

It was neat to see it in person.

I can see that.

Yeah...not an all-day activity.

Lemme guess, you led that campaign and all the boys jumped on board.

:rolleyes1

I like it!

A little Frontierland, maybe?

With drool dripping off his chin....and if you feed him cookies and french fries all the time on vacation no wonder he won't eat meatloaf at home!

We try and give him other foods. Short of forcing it down his throat, I don't know how we make him eat them. We figure kids won't voluntarily starve themselves, so he'll come around eventually.

Julie wins dinner! ding! ding! ding! You could probably wrap a shoe in Indian Fry Bread and it would taste good, although I like powdered sugar and honey.

Really, who doesn't like powdered sugar and honey on fried dough?

Yeah, but from what I know the one in Hawaii takes the cake, romantic after dinner pictures to boot!

Yeah, I figure there's no way I'm topping that one. So we might as well make it look even better in retrospect.:rotfl2:

If you photoshop out all the other folks in the background, and perhaps that shark jumping out of Scotty's belly. :rotfl2:

I'm too lazy. And the shark is awesome! Or jawsome, as it were.

I really need to stop reading people's TRs from my phone. I didn't understand what you were saying when I read this at first. And I was even more confused when you repeated in all caps. Now I get it! Sounds like fun!

So much fun! And so satisfying!

A nice fitting end to the day.

It was a nice ceremony.

And tomorrow you're on your way home.....time flies!

:faint: It always goes by way too fast.

First off: Happy Birthday.

Now then…

Thank you, sir!

Do’h!...
You got me on that one.
If I’ve heard it, I can’t for the life of me remember where.

These words were uttered in the immortal Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Well, you could…
Just keep posting unrelated updates about things that no one cares about abd have no relation to the actual trip and you could drag this out for eons.

I know of what I speak, here.

Oh, come on. Nobody would ever try that in a TR. We always stick strictly on topic.:rolleyes1

We’re reading your TR…
I do believe that pretty much sums up the extent of our intellectual abilities.

I'm truly sorry.

Didn’t we just go over the glaring lack of cognitive abilities possessed by your readers?
I’m pretty sure we don’t have the capacity to imagine that one thing is similar to another proven nonexistent thing.

In that case, pull my finger!

Being located so close to so many major population centers as it is must put a bit of a drag on that revenue source.

They're just plain printing money.

Actually, this looks more like the “perfect” family portrait.

It certainly is more true-to-life.

Wait, the gift shop is before the ride?
They’ve Out-Disneyed Disney!

You have to pass the gift shop on the way in to see the memorial, then pass it again on the way out. They've got you coming and going! Brilliant!

So, basically you undermined Julie’s good work be getting in the way of the process.
That exemplifies the spirit and the definitions of both husband and father.
Good Work!

It's what we do.

Plagued by encounters of an alien nature?

I still feel ripped off from our Devils Tower visit.

Clark Griswold and the Grand Canyon springs to mind here…
(you didn’t just steal a hand full of cash from the gift shop a moment ago, did you?)

It came to my mind, too. As far as stealing from the gift shop goes, I'd never do that....again.

And now I’ve got a scene from Space Balls stuck in my head.
(could be worse)

You're welcome.

Dynamite: a force for civic beautification.

::yes::

Boogers not included.

Those'll cost ya extra.

Some capitalist you are…

In that case, I'll have to start charging a fee to read this TR.

The Disney Springs of the Badlands.

I like it!

It’s no Country Bear Jamboree, that’s for certain.

I wouldn't know.:rolleyes1

Oooo… a chance for redemption.

Oh, sure, like that'll ever happen.

And redemption just flew right out the castle window and plummeted into the swamp below.

See? I can't leave well enough alone.

Preaching to the choir.
(of course my blessing goes by a different name, but still…)

I hear ya.

Also, just because you used that word that has been ruined for me forever and I can only hear it in one voice: "The BLESS-ING! They want you to say THE BLESSING!"

Oh, come off it mate!
You live for kitsch, and you know it.

Crap. They're onto me.

An Oblivious Last Stand…

With the same result.

Well I applaud the direction

I tried. Bourbon-marinated steak has never failed me before.

The execution, however, was beyond your control.
But, Hay… you just saw Mt Rushmore…

It’s not like stopping at McDonalds right after experiencing “South of the Boarder”

We tried. They can't all be home runs.

I read you last TR…
This was a bit of an improvement.

True.

So, what you’re saying here is that I should have read this line before I comment on the last one, right?

Nah, no sense in planning ahead on TR comments. Just let 'em fly.

When paired with some Atrocity Brand Doughnuts, it makes for quite the pick-me-up.

Mmmm...Atrocity Donuts...

N0JeBkhJId-ihO-yUQWnHKplYy4826O1D_-RTuofluvF9-6YbRMPT0B_L9L6xK8IcCi5X9BqKULj-rFg2LXkNFl0vOKWt__aUodMglNaEAtqXOcPMXhiEYStDTIjhemIn_DSfKS8Iyzxi4aSN0itqMbDSJq6NmbjhjNUCXS634sdckcNB-zV-dFMa5fOcjxDR7lR2KytOTbLsXCn8WDD3FGCzO_CCigE82zzW61gtLJnWd7h4F3kry54eBSJzz7lQJcwyBe1CfCPBKg7rT3pbFU7JIOkhtXub8PML3aksQfNyFs9dVBS0TigfIRjyeAzyjDvn9fWxtwWBefdgOwhGa35OzHwpcehzLAeJg5z4H83mLkt-zNrLSCVlNARlVJ-0y6HnoM83WLFf7HYuRb3QhkZFNVuIyezxFOmImMYrgXCxi49YWDdiu_zmJx3-zzsECyPwah1trus7Jg_JJdLBFuKjq38s0HpG-YqB9PqxtF6-_ezp3iyFIWb4-iLAVZ23YvW5_p8XGihgGt5QYLu4dahZv6woGTEb-kHopQL48VN3dcFy4s6fZCNoE8xzHpI_9Ats1WLZdJajv-_Dhpvw2UxSJqnHVps2Qz-k0CIgbA5peuk=w279-h320-no

Pbbbffft…
We all do it with Disney stuff.
At least you’re showing us something most of us haven’t already seen umpteen times.

I hate it when it feels like all the photos look the same. I like variety.

Not bad but I’ll need to see the rest first.

(I suspect you’ve already had to pick one this close to the season But I’ll toss out a vote for the picture that I know y’all took at Car-henge for the Christmas card. Nothing says holidays and solemn observance quite as well as the implied backdrop of a collect of obsolete Detroit Iron in allegorical homage to an ancient cultural construct.)

We always end up with a collage, because we're horrible at making decisions.

I’m sorry, I had my Crusty the Clown voice filter going just then…
Hang on while I go back and read that again.

OK, that’s a bit more impressive.

Do continue.

James Earl Jones rules the voiceover department. Although I could see Krusty working here. "Hey, hey, kids! Wanna blow something up? (giggle)"

Well that settles it…
This must have something to do with explosives, right?

What else could it be?

I knew it!!!!!

<<heavens open>>
<<bright light illuminates the setting>>
<<disembodied angelic voices sing: “Aaaaaaahhhhhhh…”>>

That's literally how it happened.

The only improvement to the thing I can imagine would be if you could change the image that was being detonated to suit your mood.

Oh man, I'd never leave!

Every person for themselves!!
(It’s the ‘Merican Way)

Yeah, but we all said it in our own heads anyway…

And all the wives and mothers rolled their eyes as well.
So mission accomplished. :thumbsup2:

I figured I'd led you far enough down the road for you to be able to finish it off.

And rolls?

Sadly, no. No Holiday Inn Express.

And to you and yours.

You’ll have to share your views on Hilton.

Will do.

Eventually.

Spoiler alert: we loved it!

Neat afternoon & evening visiting Mt. Rushmore! We took the Presidential Trail and enjoyed it ... it was nicely maintained, gave a neat perspective of the four presidents and got us away from the crowds a bit, but it was definitely not stroller friendly.

We could get down to the mountain, but the return trip on the other side was a no-go. So we didn't get to see everything.

Your steak looks good, bummer it was so tough.

Win some, lose some.

I hope you had a good time at Hilton Head! I'm jealous, but I hope we get a few pictures of that grand villa. :)

I think that can be arranged!

I'm back!

You were gone? Huh.

Sorry I've been slow

We know that about you already. Don't belabour the obvious.

Oh..... never mind. I guess it's not obvious to you.

With the holidays and then returning to work to dig through emails, it's been hard to find time to do responses. I think I finally can start doing that now, although I have a few TR's to catch up with around here as well.

I hear that. I'm behind on my own TR too.

We really loved Disney's Hilton Head Resort. It was a nice little taste of Disney, and it's a great little retreat with the same Disney touches you know and love. However, now everyone got a taste of Disney and is begging to go back to WDW. But you knew that would happen.

Sounds like you guys had a nice time!

Dagnabbit. I should probably stop drinking these 44-oz. sodas, too.

Cut down to 42 oz. That should do it.

Dang! You beat me to it! Remember me when you have your untold wealth.

I will! I'll remember to steer well clear... uh, I mean! Sure! I'll share!

Sorry. I'll try and dumb it down next time. That's not easy in my TR's.

Is making it dumber even physically possible????

Can you imagine all of the environmental groups you'd have to face?

I really don't think it could happen.

I don't think so. They had originally planned to put Jefferson to Washington's right, but the rock was too unstable. I don't think they had enough material to do the whole thing.

Really! I wasn't aware of that. None of it.

I was there as a kid, and it was completely different from what I remembered as well.

Good! So that proves it!

We're both senile!

I wish I could claim that we were that good. I can barely get everyone facing towards the camera in a photo.

:laughing:

They did it alphabetically.:sad2:

Well... I guess that does make it easy for us foreigners.... (except we don't care... :rolleyes1)

Sort of like Clark Griswold at the Grand Canyon.

I swear. I think that's my favourite scene of the whole movie.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I was waiting for somebody to post that one.

Any day I don't get kicked out is a win!

Have you managed to string two days together yet?

Pyrotechnics! You set them off! Is there anything better than that?

I can think of a few.... but it's a family board.

You're not scared to use the Dad jokes!

Nope. Too old to care.... or know better... or know better ones.

You were gone? Huh.

Didn't you notice the level of conversations around here suddenly rose in intelligence?

We know that about you already. Don't belabour the obvious.

Oh..... never mind. I guess it's not obvious to you.

What's not obvious?

Wait a minute...

I hear that. I'm behind on my own TR too.

Well, spending all day in the hospital with your daughter doesn't help! Hope she's ok.

Sounds like you guys had a nice time!

We did! Way too short, as all vacations are.

Cut down to 42 oz. That should do it.

Done! Hang on a sec, I need to pee.

I will! I'll remember to steer well clear... uh, I mean! Sure! I'll share!

You're the best, man.

Is making it dumber even physically possible????

Only one way to find out!

I really don't think it could happen.

Yeah, me neither. I think there would be too much outcry/red tape to ever let it move forward. Then again, they are still (allegedly) working on the Crazy Horse carving. I think that one is held up due to money issues.

Really! I wasn't aware of that. None of it.

It's true! Just like any other large project, there's always something you didn't expect that makes you need to improvise.

Good! So that proves it!

We're both senile!

Yes! What do I win?

Well... I guess that does make it easy for us foreigners.... (except we don't care... :rolleyes1)

It's ok. Nobody else cares about Delaware, either.

I swear. I think that's my favourite scene of the whole movie.

It's a great one. But there are so many. I'd have a hard time choosing.

Have you managed to string two days together yet?

Well, the couch is still in the house. So does that count?

I can think of a few.... but it's a family board.

Good point.

Nope. Too old to care.... or know better... or know better ones.

I'm too lazy to try and think of any.

Didn't you notice the level of conversations around here suddenly rose in intelligence?

Actually, now that you mention it.... no.

Well, spending all day in the hospital with your daughter doesn't help! Hope she's ok.

All better. Thanks!

We did! Way too short, as all vacations are.

Tell me about it.

Done! Hang on a sec, I need to pee.

:lmao:

You're the best, man.

I am? I didn't even know you were getting married!

Yeah, me neither. I think there would be too much outcry/red tape to ever let it move forward. Then again, they are still (allegedly) working on the Crazy Horse carving. I think that one is held up due to money issues.

That thing has hardly changed from the first time I saw it.... 40 years ago.

Yes! What do I win?

image-4948953-1-product.jpg

It's a great one. But there are so many. I'd have a hard time choosing.

That's one scene that I mention a lot.

Well, the couch is still in the house. So does that count?

I'm too lazy to try and think of any.

Good point.

Oh, come on. Nobody would ever try that in a TR. We always stick strictly on topic.:rolleyes1
Of course, what was I thinking?

In that case, pull my finger!
Certainly...
That should greatly enhance the reading experience 'round here.

I'd never do that....again.
And just how many times have you said that in your life.
(and did you ever actually mean it?)

In that case, I'll have to start charging a fee to read this TR.
I wonder what value the market will be placing on this.

I wouldn't know.:rolleyes1
Last saw that one in 1974.
In no hurry to go back.

See? I can't leave well enough alone.
It's a common flaw.
Or would that be considered a feature?

We always end up with a collage, because we're horrible at making decisions.
You collages are better than most everyone elses professionally manicured portraits.

Oh man, I'd never leave!
Well, we've determined the optimum business model.
Now to figure out how to implement it.

Spoiler alert: we loved it!
I'm not surprised in the least.
I need to go down that way one of these first days.

And then you reach the wide plaza with the big panoramic view of Mount Rushmore. Up close, it’s quite an imposing, impressive sculpture.

Bjdc2o2uJv7dP10PaQG04a1_1A2x0I3ElLJmN5MhaSFP1WM-hwpNZFAuPlx-MBblPNmVoVjC-8KBddDZ1GLxrLDH83xRx-CVURignZ243g-PBGEwDzt6Oq658zSw62zfClXxNXdsWqQYp-gXlc9FUjJVfc3Y_AeDtg9rhQgDzcOaBFxynREMx9npYcci7axoqmctNIKglL747oR22a0u8ZnhCgmSw0tiNt-BqYRl0lf03ohwkdl1p5Ed4odKe_i_F_g2LjBMASPbUmO9Pf7FDQXFgdvJ0Rm6_9Fbeu7tZX7lYQqHLh0DYRdUq9_b7JYznGKzm3mZTWXpjOYdE1C6f4xEDmoYqvEI8k0rHROhxe_JDGvLI5xLgwwENmQuJeIxtVlLauGPsJIXy6sYz4_TQDkSrfC7T2ze862daN4UScN62OzbuJrFhdYH6JObcP1G0La91eIbIYFjqfkj52ELqqO1YSTY4iB9CWAETgjMBN4ViElVqXVwHoVSsBzlp0pHjrRIcVuzpp32GDBUtMGeTbbdpPzeNdmg8gTDUnJFAMnANvB--RgcD-0ATbPu5iJxh0nwBYpFR_nAjl-d0H2plBQP8xSD3QlKcU4RZGQ-Cn_2p4pf=w1212-h808-no

Have not had a chance to see it. On the extended bucket list but not sure I am going to get there anytime soon. It is impressive.

Oh, did I mention that Julie and I were celebrating our 18th anniversary this particular evening?

dcXv9Edc5aheySe7g6JOKrwolABrWaxLJANzQNLxrhkr_P1IIWfrlLtoNiw7GUEiubMaHA716QZRZhBIavhWIz0_cYi--eDIdpLe6iDIXZ0bllABGbI08PVZv3GMsnhM4gX6TgR4xhS_LuzNu53l4odORAk1gtyR7NauT9wZPnf2EZe0yS1xHJcVhH3J9kw8wWwuJs3f8JmO4p6m6WR-RBs8j-3IL9kYneyndwQlUqXwg053BkFgCgtSzxpfiawr8AAAAURVRlsAqRA7HM36tpuRa8yIryJacEGqzftODEK3oGwElnxNgosq9Lm5BsYAm-kljDmWSIxjoFd-KJt7m87Lm0R1LQ5gX3YPIBJ4c0ScCEaNhDwZ4lAZWk6IUqE_DtmVumPKhRTxuh7vGspgHPb6xPCYYWrOnAZohj1LLYDizv8P50mlnaqMoVY7GroFEtYsKdR0oi5_9aB2vNNkWm72fbfFI0cKTm6YQDMlzJ0XKTAeW6t4A5KbIs0nueqA71Iv1OmfBbjNSdDmsoWbfGdERbPmfUds_iuci90l9InvEnhA8mw7h2tsVVW1mSWaIsRiQK4OfV-xOopQRpx1K_YQdVU-9kscJbAx1Mj54DBhX3Yf=w1212-h808-no

As always, I know how to treat a woman right. Also, I’m blessed beyond measure that I was able to marry out of my league and that Julie hasn’t come to her senses yet. As with most of the places we visit, you do just fine if you have a sense of humor. We took the kitschy décor in stride.

Nothing but the best for the mother of your children. At least it wasn't a milestone anniversary.

Actually, I am sure she would rather be there than anywhere else. And yes, you married out of your league.

It's a good thing you're not a fast updater. Cuz this week, I've been not a very fast replyer. I will get here, Mark. Cross my heart.

Chapter 9: A Mighty Wind

We have worked hard to train our children right. It’s the built-in dream of every parent to have your children grow up to be both more successful and become better people than yourself. In my case, that’s a low bar, but in general, it’s a great goal. If you can produce a child who ends up having a wonderful, high-paying job that he/she is good at, a beautiful family of his/her own, a well-adjusted, selfless attitude and an ability to rebound from failure and be humble in success, you will have won the parenting game and will thus be required to write books and give TED talks on just how in the heck you managed to do that.

However, I would like to report a bit of success. On this morning, June 28, our youngest son took it upon himself to serve everyone breakfast in bed. He tends to wake up early, like most toddlers, and I don’t know if we were slow getting ready that morning or what. But that’s where top-notch parental training comes into play. Little Drew selflessly took it upon himself to make sure every one of us had a delicious Oreo cookie as a nice pre-breakfast appetizer.

6yN1CPnyDFdtLr1M848LTyda_MmWASltMLM0tRj9Oqf5N-UamtaOTmpV77NKNAjz9Gp_m5SGFknDu4AB6GIQ-DHthlxb4vkQK-PVdYC7la8_q-FH7GtkzCdL2JBQZqyMPeR30bhcwAgcBb-mFoQQ5vu1k5QivYWqU8LPKLaxqEkcMy9Oq_fKI64XNxeg0L5Jaa7p4PQT7OFU2Fm3DAUZ4QDS-bAfS9BItYV0PMU0WeMdR1v4XxGbzix7fHAZi--2thzd7XRd3x6ZHaaMt-sDB1pR_Judq_fSpQZ81YmBT9z_BbtEfn_mRIYBLIiUwdIyzP-TkDbLOUpLdcTK_A4qV_IosVsXy-eFwsLVrNnI3lacerWmA6k3W04XvZSWEjMeu13_fNHh5rtjvkpPwxkcFJlH_lixPBNtMlr0J8vCnLbGDzmN3SqOdm01txcvOOZBQahCJrV4eYNvRBCX3Ds4nGewD7Qn39kL9nvAtM3LLTFSbzDJ6T_EAOv82ro1p38bmpJaCcZi3BWy6Yr9PdqlxOdRVnYaI5ms6cp3MRgrs7APMAKPOh4DqYt-0gR5BZqgLX05yTD4b6rCagcc6eXvTThjTeEczyTEgD_3DfO1VMAzkqZ7i44x=w627-h835-no

We checked out of the Custer Comfort Inn and took the scenic route to the east and then south, through Custer State Park. There was a quicker way to go, but Custer State Park is a much more beautiful drive through the rolling Black Hills. It also is home to one of the largest bison populations in the country, and we encountered some of their number as we reached the border of Wind Cave National Park.

OWmdgPXn_wE4I08FbZUQZ1utwLbokN44_qq9eOYtVnzFkNmZJm6J8Hov1sB3EbIAXJlNVTS-FeZlrF6-C7xbkU0lo4delr9FFEtjDfbH5yrvydFWr5m-a6Acz9YaAmd-_JekZ8CkRqvFqLvBf3xoRgng95Jw7mkpmUeu9lg9St0M1yGagtwLIvcgF5PRxw7acjPMuSBRhFATgtN_fViMpaaXVgeyjp_jnpgMnRoMKBIOzNH_BaZj270YZH5VYFN23_NX1Z4r6tATAom7XD6aivCJAxPVRCzHjUB1WN3CToutTx6cAJdfkUXSsFwe4xHCv4s4qeIiwZwQgeibavuA8HNP2Xmnxfv8VHPN_tXIP_Ciet2CqJGv8bf1pePFQvgL8s43VL1WL6W7vsVcsj_cIS2CLVkWw-JGNQb0BqDZu6vnPnvLRnv2kyrKImvk-QW9BgtIg0GFZZA9MhLah55gmu5qhQiwcLHttbXfDR_ZNerC8axRG9eCcq2-mamwdgsaAy9pRXm4Yoftb2uU1k1NLn0gtWBU1tGbbLfPJKRLqFCWb6_oFE4yvRJS7ig6cSuXwuDqHYkbiv_uji0hViZx6pyruJSU0gEH9MDI9Z41SG0vKlNzoMlF=w1205-h804-no

uKc_7sSti3wq21aiyUjo2-wNTuneP5MM7RTbJX_fN_zgkqr_exWes2kds4nRAT8Oc6XzYLK4PZO_RfBUDDw7mjuYtLkWHEQaPkeNqnF13QmY3fUwOqY9vsN3mgLDbhA8-hYz1oKhRPjjPQe_pvZqaJZ41UsK3qifKyjs4n_PdQdWcliSoYKPt0tevMjnaKnd7eHqTRMKOeeRy40Wswb3s65EUho10N9ZIImXH-El7DOXz0RCcH0PlA862Stvr2aDM_6YZ_Y1R8dLBGozR4w798XbiWH-vtXtIuWKrFehZZcRLOUU-MPF_AfLSL_WgLBEUnJDhVBNRFzNRObXJ7_B_OuEvRPLV1IhCB0D9_8xnzPMJXpqkbzsqk1F0engP9oLK-Z85YrOT0xn1r9uRgbHnHz5ddH1abiVkUi9SUtOu_yo9Ty5NYx6pVIhhMTQyRRYF-3JccgZnpKlQqJ9x6nuANyUa0GgynvE7g9ZfQAW9Fzbdy5dFdZxavECpPdzL_lMQeq65pPjqnpmqTuz798TFNmLUF84yRr0BiP2inGeHfxQVwg0qJM8VN445lFTImgfQUoccf6PX6xoLhoJ1ryFyOopANya4uks9en0Pz1AjtJJ--WUPPVz=w1205-h804-no

Along the road, we saw two separate herds of bison including several calves.

DD4dBnhsYquyY_c5nJd12Z6lhB2UdpHWb6l8-vChXkMQkVjEdjClEU0R4WEF_LWFUPYgvz-TiYbfNwqrqGM8x0EkGcvXW2TC7wOCny0cYw4zVCMU6G7ENf0Z4EKQAHTsYdjvxvg_IhOY_IVwcLxyQ9A8SScXEpzLA_2d5TUj6IhKA81U-6DOMRrXMYM39Apd3OuGo1mJuRGVNuzoFI9RL4EiFrVG9aynjMoNuijMuCsh6NzNWDE3CTtnrPhBUfeNRLbNrEhO7fzw8c-P1aeH7EwZL_3ES44WgtNOYlwLP7IqzdCCXzHxm_ZrmLCdQBCV7uszVifeqHFlgoPCSckTom2-NiE_tAueyHkB2xahMIR_Nx8PkKPSNo2ByRaPDMX9Cl-HxBx0a9yOhALHi5cfC6arQAH3bFMs3f8caeUdQ9v4pjDqaAH_-uTm8Qf13tLTbDK4RYMIK7_AGD8bowOZTW3dG4Yf1wzo2_lOWiOWerxeb6imgNIKFDEtlR1YXM1aKSvs1TuGMurCqHs52_NFh6B6Mss8ST6xfkADS4lWz8DgjLb7Hf8zE2uZZv1jHRGRCKv-9ATe6Na0L9Fhr0PlehQXIPJP1msniqTXkO73wSHJzhwOeCkC=w1205-h804-no

lq-KnNOoHhC-08nJUFyK9gxeh35G-dM2pHrIx8mOnRpfJSzKcK1hbwxhHuF6flxJ8fUhmJ7lil1HYG0vOPXZ5pMSN87JZ5TEqwhIgsfpYB8Jmta6cRZoVaVrDhrVz2h7hVkwEoIioxZgNswo6hcSlmnUshvZ-O_fTdJJUHyhtOpJi3vvgnMGsV2IoiIBTfwC_jTn3q-Mz_585DU5zbeYJTuvAsOIV7Lkfb24B2-SjCrCY0picFzWivbTaEW5IZ0LYrkPo_Vn-BqlBtRd7weZWlfWTdImhT_aUXyZKu7xqGKymQcGGhEu7yNWsL2qGY9ULd6YLN-deSbMbORhhIhm8j_BE-ql-F2LtsMCtp8iFgjA60IzZP-1ahCBtzjG3dkSzaIOtcRpGKET8Q58HRqqU1U8LTCyVTIZKx4tO3cGnLMrzpf89YwGVJkb2DWLfXdYpjBtlaYod_pl51scFeeNNyEEkvC9uOj87YxBmppJTN2I_84eu7UMY5riwMsNikcpgQ1hHAd1Z-Ss6ChDgvWy8yx6lYS7UYMlJnGUnh8fOQ3QHKyidtkNLMG1UQJxmgOLZbhLXOMggnuxw-Owb03p8maNiS8RV78uE14SsiJgJ5R0RLNYCvMZ=w1205-h804-no

We found one guy standing off by himself very close to the road. I pulled over because Julie wanted to get a classic “side profile of American bison with the vast prairie as a backdrop”-type photo. She rolled down her window and carefully composed her image. Then the bison started making a loud growling noise, stamping his feet and rolling his head in the dirt. So Julie snapped a quick shot, and we made like a tree and got out of there.

Y525e8nrsE_y8XIWX6zSlCO7dxR6i7d24-4I3b96o0X1qbQFBjUimtOFOxu4rmcZoUaPbtmVR9Y1Sr3ZzOEnvJkNDtRMTd89qh0k-aCb4acqTnANPLh_kayLPrEXwyn1-870NGNwaxSJMjuXyC5oZC0D9RgwA-zhBFtTbTz6AhtTA8Dan6Yq8gud1iVcDi9EbC1DlLg_J4J-l49bheZpG_s3RLtLHHSA0t5pvT1hugHlaJwTdrnqS-4wtqZAu1oP9R3yim_e2rcoDkN0-IMxNzJRqr7cN9DBup9aTQ08RD9YzGoJxkh_cXsYUAGiyBO5eX9xmlfZ2UYrbjpasZ2aEYgh_pbflVxnC4ImlT0ISfDGGdP_9k8nrHtTLJcHOFGm8dKB2can_KxecO0q8DkW_xOguhBnkTDBDdhv-u0__BuoRlv8KwbvpIv3gUfr8QHu4FrdzPXPhFudyzic1wpUEAvgg18HFLRyAX2aNCRRt6cVuKi4uSp6MCAJdi2m9tsbQJuukm0e5x5bhBwWSjIx8JctIr7ozki8-RCH1H_9rCRyaBSiNj73kz5CeJuehQDB8ucREmSwDctQ0HZPqijzII5SPzb0tN6moKNuzgT2qWiKHISsdML7=w1205-h804-no

Wind Cave was most likely first discovered by Native Americans living in the Black Hills, but the first recorded discovery was in 1881 by Tom and Jesse Bingham. On a calm day, they heard the sound of rushing wind and followed it to its source, a small hole in the ground. The force of the gust blew the hat right off Jesse’s head. Eventually, they widened an opening and found their way into the cave. A mining family, the McDonalds, were hired to manage a claim on the cave and couldn’t find anything worth mining. However, they realized its value as a tourist attraction and began extensive efforts to explore, map, and give tours of the cave. A few years later, there was a dispute over the mining claim. In 1899, the Department of the Interior ruled that no party had any legal claim to the land since no suitable mining or homesteading had taken place there. The National Park was formed in 1903. To date, over 123 miles of cave have been mapped…and they’re still going.

We met up once again with our friends along the way and arrived around 9:00 that morning at the visitor center. Like most of the other area attractions, guided tours are first-come, first-served, so you’re better served if you get there early. Thankfully, our National Park pass was accepted here in lieu of the fee for the tour. We took the Natural Entrance Tour, which is the most popular.

We used the same arrangement as at Jewel Cave, where my friend’s wife stayed back with the little ones while the rest of us explored the cave. We killed time in the visitor center by working on Junior Ranger books and checking out a special quilt exhibit they were displaying as part of the 2016 National Park Centennial.

SXWAF-x_OjE3A-kVAQPZLWA_WrsNWUbNG0Wuru1IRelmE2Kc7ykIqIucTq_1wVwF11mOBJDMerIc90QbLM-PXzDnc5O1Yb04JGzKY-ooHFQbyECpZNVQKFE0_JS-8_vukn_Gd-4NM7Mn0MVKtSuz_S1i4nZpcr8HdWTlEnij1kZFH_9bwC2ZvFwPP5ZLlT64EJroxh_0Zy3pbRgapmp2YK14UHEe7erGz7CiLTYYDAei-qecs0cpPhjjol0xKtlIYMnabJJblomZTME6ZrMt8YOW4PNvsTiV_ZN--JW0LCG-MvlggBE2icjy_rNw1u_wX6nh6GsDgl4WgEEUew7gErnDBlhLbU9eMsjfX4xDJRjq6vF5_HrvIL5Ri0lrCulyz9rusSFxuzUtUqC0D2iUKDEBsJToK_jiIjkG4vYGYXPzzAZ4sEG60Qy8-pvhaRz5MDmewMcwzZpcQe48-ICspT4dE61iim67tEG1QI3UD3gHWSxuK9CuSYj1Hzmwebgb9SL2JJUSM4ZR3VflXoj-kWc7_52QgPeKteeCc0iFhos8uWUCcmniIQ30HUAe1bSV1sV5C2IEPh_0orwYDTa6rbJsmtOvMsJM4GfhQJo09cO_og4Yg4XY=s835-no

And when I say “we” explored the quilts, I mean Julie and Sarah did. I think I was farting around in the gift shop.

Eventually, our tour time rolled around and we met the park ranger, who led us to the hole in the ground where the cave was first discovered. We got the chance to experience the air rushing out of the cave just as the Binghams did way back when.

hngC82ARZyZItrJ0nOHHFYwdULgc1nU3btU_3Vl6IcmU1tZJWw2OPiR4dM7Lj62oICKXPL2iJQWXw1nNueEdwAMk1KfH57kKmUzGNWxOPrfmAhsipU_yQw-zJ3vT23Zfo9Z28rR77xf0zKwHatQWk53pSgwnCdoXjiPKYMpHQEzTFAz0y0CsNb-MNsF_eHL1Picjw495pliiGn4XoKLZefCHecWns4CIJwJ4x18l-HaZcTmfgPrLph79dl8y7XKacWcZNkOn51JG5ZaniTUBKnF3Dg4-_ymFNuqepaRdVvaQqqoY8NnfMVN7qJk8a0sIhlXcGBPibpm_TchU6xJLQRbajB2ugMVSy1ZwiYRn4w2Bzu-Ky2FVycpuqFY2da_ZPjSmx3qN4uK6sAal-pGajoLHODTnDoY067p--pJxmCJ4aAwUFt_zswsv0wekNPqrerQ37sjyrTA7e7sCuLPkb6ZaygGcQG-BH1c7vx4KCkvpKvSax6X9HbyJeMdJaG8mptNSUxgkNWf96anyh61pHYWZ1bAieXNBEgX79UyScNrcEyIXlJ1t4-QYOG3-TBWsWQH5zHa2mdfU-TSxwVoS6vYaj442qGajYdq7t99gfhNWC6QmF6gZ=w1205-h804-no

This cave had a much different feel than Jewel Cave. Where Jewel Cave consisted mostly of wide cavernous spaces encrusted with calcite crystals, Wind Cave was mostly a cramped, narrow, winding path that we had to navigate single-file. I can’t speak for all of us, but I know for sure that Sarah and I had a lot more fun with this one. We constantly had to lean around corners and duck our heads to make our way through the cave. It felt much more like being in an Indiana Jones movie, minus the tarantulas, bottomless pits and poison darts shooting out of the walls.

Wind Cave is famous for a formation known as boxwork. This is a rare formation in limestone where water filled with minerals seeps down into a lattice-like network of cracks in the rock. It hardens over time. When the rock crumbles away, all that is left is that box-like structure. According to the ranger, this is one of the few caves in the world that features this particular formation.

6wlOIhQ01sHb8uuTVyvIiMS1BfZLjozWZKTTS3XOG4fGBo4bm2dRmKZdroVErH5NvvzaZ84ALhtJLfho_B7-cvLVKu8Gv16h-SFYPQ-wEUpPLz2kD7okn1VM_WCqDBmNReb7X-uG9veEU_jN8-qRWmn3nBiUcAg-P0PieDLJSe4n45wupc9GNSccpjCy-fro9FI9PeKmfUExMgaKjsR642vYjvWY1IcN8oijiTAlvW_9w5qIgMBnVDkzFAwXhsacQanzYvNmaVL7cSVcPCbevgWNsRXim2t6H3JNcQAvYHUQ692OG9wBqXXIIUAvSCiln4mFhyqLkcQ-ztk460mY2truuHlwIiAesl6GHvl-tHLj0XI_U_f5DRvE8B9RBn63gJWkKisaCexooClwazemg6XNsrsJma1_egxz2-4oInZVVUu5oaecuXcWb9D1nk5RR-hg804CGIcq3Q-H4g_jXvBqYH-nATwTuV6vPmj9zx-h-xqoR32jKCom7gbPsU7bcaLjv9K87fykcesFW_1m0SXXl61H0JIb4BcyQRkpN5Juq3SXrggz7qAUIk9vgr4worI2_XVVpx4LKbk5v8irSAAIAbnNJ0WTEiCe73NBYB-ALIu56iIa=w1205-h804-no

DHcysY4P3_ip1bGlE6g1iFX6T0oZd8qmjUouJtGAN_ySWvt91ND_rWRkarbKqHaEDgTj3e_qeLlNYbNmkxcA-xO7pqv6QjYe1kYp1uwJfPBh9rTWTDFFGVvyiZhJtgGTzVUoxLkQllCq2Ty_0lZvztUtfSnIA1j-YVGVubt6E6W4W8pQK43yzrqonvuX3P4xHX6EEsc2G2YXrmP2Zh7BcwKEJHiIupu1ZaMrcMDem2ExrGcn3gXlOjhaadXxaE1plI1HOcMRMHzwZXqIEOz90UxxWK-kJT_BVf_0344lwfg7cjGk6Xzh9sv2-tKn1RJw730PHJEQkwuDZ14yZpPJ_Y1aFS88sNWQIFeJ2VrYNJuxAZ-UEn55lY9_5dkErE5YySdPTc1JkYbLuIUruXmYsJLBXVPjziRp33pdUkNA3pOnDptL8JfdGraC6_364AFtO-jBXqJYHA_S7Iz5gVQrzPSU5kTum3q6xOpIMJvg-O-12TvuXvMkkkm6YkhclzHwT65zijSCYGn-SJiR2lEM5INJKNgrpxKeo_9cr3aNfYqzPYDdc-Ec3RhRpERSeVBPurEmyr7xGNQYyUPiqVQcv6QTU7qA9dahCRg5UTHY6zZqBnRXNH2Z=w1205-h804-no

We tried to grab a photo in one of the few areas on the tour where we could all stand in the same place. I was glad no one had opted for re-fried beans at breakfast.

qkPtzTqOnXZGLWc_FjngRDlp4Z7dbcM7qmJgP21s-sRwhNGcUeyh1lGbIYn_LmM23AZYAS9qZK1jLZce8QZmwg_pd8IqvcQRGhYYrLAcTZgZAjOl4JL6tZ1gqjqm0fruJuAzzBBePS4H7zVxibVikbU8WFkhp16RkX7WApL1d61ZeFqD4qzppHtGabIINJN5UPzeYryVKVpbP24bgPPivdQodCinLPXVxZ5-5yPbkMto9YtIO8xtUjyuqJBsxqpn6MHTYl63Qy0xVCZmqsylqDEskpOoZAsFzHNklwC3uOr55YZRiLTuaSGBo9idz_Tdz8oDwfp1YTgdKX9ceZOmxw1SHOEHPAXzoo2aLCdS-TAh9A-npWQA2WzxMewllceib9-jZsPZM3x7feuxKxmjhfnRqX2wKDKcF9BEc9Jx86t6OtSGACz6HX7i5YM0pd_o0d-o4ZollypljHyKITNXeji_MmjH8k1FN9X8he7Nx4tKwy5EnbF7W79frW1bo3jXH8V7XLVNOH6sRGL_GcdI6ujf2l5NehUgJzxVysmCZDrBSsD-NwGo5I-8n28bmYYSbKZxtmkHA7PaFnNwXmMf8407uWnI5PNGzKbgSiTBJmkvgKYJoynn=w1205-h804-no

This room was at the end of the tour. Again, it was one of the very few places where the group could stop and listen to the ranger speak.

q8sLk2xZAKZAk3BxHcmJ5XKZLh4RQ18lSf_rSBffx5Ztouwx00q8r8qHjWNxhfihYaPg7FLxviVyytyuuSiAMTInosKAfcyKczLilRiRMHQ4I324EL2j8pj0McZtzq6E1tB-pSWnx0jRU4G2p-9zbjFmM05EssD2N4cYnCjuiNLqtQkQ6cl8eOPZ-dR1duvyGOZ6LKE49jFFwCLYSZAtEiKBe1sudUK8sizCfqpmH3R9PIBqK6zaH9FAcbBcYHGlwGUZMPmizMtNbMl4wzxZkqy8-otfFO7xnrurQdMQ-v0T2b_9E-7uYzQEzR92wJiQRZ4fxR1Hhtrf0nmz_-XpqUKRmlI59Hwz9agnVLM8b9vc9xxKoelSHuoYld-dezvY4mcRyhHz9MTiDktcyy7lKgGZLdU3DV1Kg2Q-Ot0JEhnPdePO7XQFcBpiDM_eTNJD9_cT5LzZL4q2mY67mHcVg1Llu6L1qe6GNuodSYp70ZNwwZ2li-l45WQYiUYMsxh5LshMOQ-HLvg09mE_aIBBfr_jLxBskOY9Gnix4BWXdcjsEBTCz0FQnc_xhKWXBMXtGkip09F3GBq81mQMq0zU9s9mMzd04hDOa4oyfFQqjndJ3VnNtbXD=w1205-h804-no

Once the tour was over, we went back to the visitor center to collect the kids’ Junior Ranger badges. By the time they’d finished the books, it was lunch time, so we had our gourmet PB&J sandwiches in the visitor center parking lot.

With that, we said goodbye to our friends. They were heading back east, while we were turning to the south. We had more states to explore. More ground to cover. More driving to do. More of the Midwest to discover! WHO’S WITH ME????

-1oXBfpG6IETxQ8l9E2Y1-cZHSXNX1S5zKaC0OOFIblESDwuWkAENx36X33s1u-oivb8d4-ACF3f_uGHzkbtlqndi4TX7AAJow5plpcBfaHVr-7uKSuvfxwzlMv_KHqUmsbgL0_6AKSAfEWejWPZKGQGdfO47pOzkQZaXhEtLSpsJX3PsFJOkQ0RsmR6cixXreVgVqe3al0FGFXhaJ89yaqgW32SDU_BlyOvLbw49vvUkDUj7sVI8NwTTDcoMSbhdqgfjo3AkpgL8j2gYCNgHj0gk7lx2dxmlcqDY2iizjMgoH2FuXFRo0onO0rQ3aNa0LMdWDiZfhA_KggkKwwP5wJUB_eRPgFu_MzFvGWil-gHk1RR7AC1j1bEWB7OTkIx8AJ_DA5Rs9Obf36YP__C2cCufO8BYzPJLeVJ-mW6PeKXlj5t1Y0bVJ3n3eySrQ6luFwFuxDrn67ELMRqOQ9TOa_kYhY1Y_4Uugy_MFprJbb8SX3YyWGrLwR9NDPFFnshCQ57S3ZS8HVPNP4BlpdYI0T4k8tdQmDAkJ7xIDnbfuzNBRyJLu9T7nJ76zUdYqVNJBrl3uZCLgkH-eZ6dKPWU2ZGU3TutBUCH-plVOpfwmPa3EmugKvN=w624-h835-no

Coming Up Next: Pure Distilled American Excellence.

Great update! I loved the pictures of the bison - so cool! The pictures from inside the caves were great as well:thumbsup2

It’s the built-in dream of every parent to have your children grow up to be both more successful and become better people than yourself.

Nah. I want to be more successful so they can grovel at my feet while I look down upon them.

In my case, that’s a low bar,

It's nice when you know your place.

If you can produce a child who ends up having a wonderful, high-paying job that he/she is good at, a beautiful family of his/her own, a well-adjusted, selfless attitude and an ability to rebound from failure and be humble in success, you will have won the parenting game and will thus be required to write books and give TED talks on just how in the heck you managed to do that.

I just want them to move out so I can have some peace and quiet.

Little Drew selflessly took it upon himself to make sure every one of us had a delicious Oreo cookie as a nice pre-breakfast appetizer.

:laughing: I wonder.... "I want cookies. If I give everyone cookies, I can have cookies."

It also is home to one of the largest bison populations in the country

I am so happy you wrote 'bison' and not 'buffalo'. Pet peeve of mine. We're not in Africa. Or at a zoo.

Oh, for.... Who took that picture?!?!?

Along the road, we saw two separate herds of bison including several calves.

I hope so. That's where the adult bison come from.

Then the bison started making a loud growling noise, stamping his feet and rolling his head in the dirt. So Julie snapped a quick shot, and we made like a tree and got out of there.

You don't want to tick off a bison. There's a video that I saw yesterday of a few bison trotting down a highway.... until the lead eventually gets to the car from where they're being filmed.... and rams it.

To date, over 123 miles of cave have been mapped…and they’re still going.

Whoa. Not just a hole in the ground.

We met up once again with our friends along the way and arrived around 9:00 that morning at the visitor center.

Ah! "along the way". So... perhaps, before you got to a certain sign where you posed for a family photo.

And when I say “we” explored the quilts, I mean Julie and Sarah did. I think I was farting around in the gift shop.

Thank goodness. Had me worried there for a bit.

We got the chance to experience the air rushing out of the cave just as the Binghams did way back when.

Much less forceful with the bigger entrance I presume. Or was there a door or something with a small open window or something like that?

It felt much more like being in an Indiana Jones movie, minus the tarantulas, bottomless pits and poison darts shooting out of the walls.

:laughing: Sounds like fun.

Wind Cave is famous for a formation known as boxwork. This is a rare formation in limestone where water filled with minerals seeps down into a lattice-like network of cracks in the rock. It hardens over time. When the rock crumbles away, all that is left is that box-like structure. According to the ranger, this is one of the few caves in the world that features this particular formation.

Huh! Cool. Never seen anything like that before.
Question. Lighting. Overhead string of incandescent (maybe CFL now) or something else?

I was glad no one had opted for re-fried beans at breakfast.

Why? Please explain. Hadn't you already solve this problem at the gift shop?

it was lunch time, so we had our gourmet PB&J sandwiches in the visitor center parking lot.

There it is.

With that, we said goodbye to our friends. They were heading back east, while we were turning to the south. We had more states to explore. More ground to cover. More driving to do. More of the Midwest to discover! WHO’S WITH ME????

-1oXBfpG6IETxQ8l9E2Y1-cZHSXNX1S5zKaC0OOFIblESDwuWkAENx36X33s1u-oivb8d4-ACF3f_uGHzkbtlqndi4TX7AAJow5plpcBfaHVr-7uKSuvfxwzlMv_KHqUmsbgL0_6AKSAfEWejWPZKGQGdfO47pOzkQZaXhEtLSpsJX3PsFJOkQ0RsmR6cixXreVgVqe3al0FGFXhaJ89yaqgW32SDU_BlyOvLbw49vvUkDUj7sVI8NwTTDcoMSbhdqgfjo3AkpgL8j2gYCNgHj0gk7lx2dxmlcqDY2iizjMgoH2FuXFRo0onO0rQ3aNa0LMdWDiZfhA_KggkKwwP5wJUB_eRPgFu_MzFvGWil-gHk1RR7AC1j1bEWB7OTkIx8AJ_DA5Rs9Obf36YP__C2cCufO8BYzPJLeVJ-mW6PeKXlj5t1Y0bVJ3n3eySrQ6luFwFuxDrn67ELMRqOQ9TOa_kYhY1Y_4Uugy_MFprJbb8SX3YyWGrLwR9NDPFFnshCQ57S3ZS8HVPNP4BlpdYI0T4k8tdQmDAkJ7xIDnbfuzNBRyJLu9T7nJ76zUdYqVNJBrl3uZCLgkH-eZ6dKPWU2ZGU3TutBUCH-plVOpfwmPa3EmugKvN=w624-h835-no

:lmao: Okay... be honest. Someone put that there after he was out, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter