A Bridge Too Far? CFW

Given the suppositions in post 1, would you purchase CFWL as one of your home resorts?

• Yes

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 166 92.2%

• Total voters
We stayed at FW once in 1985 (when the cabins were trailers) for three nights at the tail end of a 10-day trip which began at the CR. There were 6 of us and it was fun, but I was a lot younger then! ;) Only one bathroom, which I remember being a pain. And I remember walking back to the trailer at night at the end of a long day at the parks and it was so dark we could barely read the room numbers on the trailers (I even remember purchasing a small flashlight the next day for just that reason). We have done HDDR several times over the years and enjoyed Trail’s End very much. And we visited River Country a few times too.

I am partly retired and DH will be retiring within the next year. I don’t see any DVC purchases in our future. As for staying at the cabins, I won’t rule it out, but the design doesn’t appear to work for us. Time will tell.

I voted "no" but not for any reasons related to the Cabins. It's primarily because we're not at the age where we want to buy any more points. We've been owners for 22 years, our grandchildren are teenagers, and we just don't travel as much any more. But we have fond memories of staying in the cabins for our first 3 stays in the 80s (until the brand-new Wilderness Lodge lured us away in 1994-I remember making our reservations there even before it opened!). Now as bird-watchers, as well as nature lovers, DH and I would love to stay there if they're available at 7 months.

We stayed in the cabins in the 1980’s and ‘90’s, and I really liked staying there. I am interested but we would be selling some to buy, and this would be primarily if our sons were interested.

We stayed at FW once in 1985 (when the cabins were trailers)
They still are! I think they always have been trailers (manufactured homes).

And I think they may be attractive to families consisting of a couple with four kids, instead of having to buy 2BR points. (We’d put the kids in the bedroom and sleep in the living room.)

The sleeping arrangements would have been great for my family 15-20 years ago. My 2 kids are a boy and a girl 7 years apart. There were many years where one of them would have much rather shared a room with mom and dad than with sibling. We almost always stayed in a 2-bedroom with them, and the treehouses were perfect for us with three different bedrooms.
We would not take a family trip now and stay at the cabins, but I think I would enjoy a stay at the cabins. We have done lots of trailer and tent camping over the years.

I vote “no” since we are not planning on buying anymore points at any location, but had they been an option when we first bought points we might have done things differently.

They still are! I think they always have been trailers (manufactured homes).

And I think they may be attractive to families consisting of a couple with four kids, instead of having to buy 2BR points. (We’d put the kids in the bedroom and sleep in the living room.)
Yes I know, but probably did not realize it at the time! ;)

The cabins don't work for us as a purchase. Having to stay that far away from the park, small room, 3 beds in one room, having to ride the buses, etc. doesn't really work for us.

We buy the monorail and enjoy staying in the Boardwalk/Epcot area as well. Would consider buying an AKV contract as well to round out close access to all the parks, but not cabins.

We would get two cabins for our family if we stayed there. Won’t be purchasing. Our kids are older though.

We like the idea of FW. But the layout is awful. Why have the bathroom as far as possible from the bedroom?
I think removing the hallway gave them more space in the living area. Disney could have probably rearranged it slightly better.

I am confused by the extra sink outside of the bathroom. Why not put a 2 in 1 or stacked washer/dryer there?

I am not a camper, I don't like woods or bugs or snakes or nature. So no, I would never buy there. However, the thought of being able to bring our little 14 pound dog is somewhat appealing so maybe we'd consider a very short stay if we were able to book there using our existing points. But it would really be part of a different kind of trip exploring FL and having our own car.

I'm not at all interested in buying there. I've been holding out for Poly2 as long as it ended up being in the same association. Now we find out it will be (yay) but there is the complication of this trust (boo?) So I don't know what to think about any future purchases until all the facts are known.

I really hate the resale restrictions, and if the trust turns out to be a way to sneak resale restrictions into the new Poly tower, we might be done with DVC. The long term value proposition has been significantly undermined by the resale restrictions, and this is something that matters to me.

I voted "No", but mostly because FW is too similar to our "real life". We live in the Inland Pacific Northwest, and Western and hunting lodge-type decor is ubiquitous. And we live in forested agricultural area with about 1/4 mile between houses. We want vacation to be something unique and luxurious compared to normal life.

That, and we can't afford any more dues than we currently pay.

The cabins are prefabricated housing. Potential buyers should inquire about the construction of the cabins and, specifically, if they are park models or mobile homes. Park models follow the ANSI A119.5 regulations created for recreational use, while mobile homes comply with HUD standards for manufactured housing. If the cabins are park models, then their lifespan will be shorter. If the cabins need to be replaced in 30 years, then it would be imperative to know who is financially responsible for their replacement.

Nah, not interested. Might have been when our doggo (who turned 17 this year) was alive (passed away in Aug). But, alas, no more dogs for us so...meh.

We'd like part of Grand Destino to go DVC.

We'd like part of Grand Destino to go DVC.

In other forums, there is a rumor circulating that resort studios will be created and offered at the moderate resorts to quickly build the trust and add lower nightly point offerings.

I voted “no” even knowing it’s part of the trust, because I was assuming that no other resorts would be in writing as part of its use plan. So I answered as if it were for CFW home resort priority only. We really like having an in unit washer dryer, and variety of dining options when we travel, so CFW doesn’t fit those preferences for us as a home resort. But if it was sold as trust with contracted ability to book at PVB, RIV, or even AUL then we would consider it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter