• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. - Corey Click Here

A Bit of Advice for Families @ Disney for UDA Nationals...

kimberwee

DIS Veteran
I thought this would be the best spot to place a thread regarding any tips and tricks for families visiting Disney for UDA Nationals.

When I was doing my usual pre-Disney research, I found that there wasn't much out there regarding the "ins and outs" of making the most of a UDA Nationals Weekend.

What I learned from our 2022 trip...

1. Try and get your room reservation number linked to your MDE app as soon as you check in. This will allow for easier Disney Genie iLL booking access throughout the trip. Don't forget to link your child/dancer/competitor's reservation if you can.

2. Make time to eat! The food trucks @ ESPN are pretty great and save you from 3 days of pretzels/popcorn. Also, if your team has a scheduled dinner at Disney Springs and the seating doesn't include parents, its ok to go somewhere else at DS to eat. Just go at about the same time as the team, so that if your child is released to you for shopping, you are free to do so.

3. Use FuelRods that you and your dancer/competitor can easily exchange in the parks, when phone batteries run low. DH and I shared one...DD had her own.

4. If Masks are still enforced, bring extra. I can't tell you how many masks were laying on the ground.

5. Take a break at your resort when possible. This is especially true before the Friday night and Sunday night parties. DH, DD and I took a nap before Sunday's Celebration and are so glad we did. The Friday party at Hollywood Studios was perfection for us, even though DD didn't get to attend.

6. Comfortable shoes are a must and pay close attention to the forecast...pack accordingly. February in FL can be all over the place.

7. Deep Breaths and GO WITH THE FLOW...unless you are the one competing, this trip isn't about you. Listen to what your team coaches and dancer/competitor want/need to happen. It may be that the waiting and schedule adjustments as different rounds are announced, stresses you out...that's ok...just take deep breaths and stay positive. Staying at ESPN for hours on end may be rough for families with young ones, so bring or get a small ball to play with on the fields...games on phones...books or shows/movies loaded on ipads and ready to go.

8. Go into the weekend knowing that this isn't a Disney Vacation. If this is your first experience with Disney, I hope you go back some other time to enjoy it as a family. There were definitely things that DD missed out on doing at the parks, that she would have considered "must do's" on previous trips.

9. Remember that other families have their own priorities during their downtime...if you meet up to do things together, great. If not, its ok.

10. Soak it all in and get lots of pictures! ..the weekend goes so quickly.

Last edited:
Thankyou for this.
We are preparing for School Band Trip to WDWin March… so much info needed . Seems scary almost. And we know Disney… can’t imagine first time not “ knowing “ Disney…
Big surprise to have some parents warn us that the bands will perform backstage and we probably won’t even see them perform . ? .
Does anybody have more info ? I guess we will live & learn and survive the first year with belief it gets better .
I appreciate your advice and love your daughters beautiful smile.

Thankyou for this.
We are preparing for School Band Trip to WDWin March… so much info needed . Seems scary almost. And we know Disney… can’t imagine first time not “ knowing “ Disney…
Big surprise to have some parents warn us that the bands will perform backstage and we probably won’t even see them perform . ? .
Does anybody have more info ? I guess we will live & learn and survive the first year with belief it gets better .
I appreciate your advice and love your daughters beautiful smile.

It is intimidating, for sure! It was a great experience, but I will definitely be changing some things for next year. Mostly, it will be focusing more on downtime between performances that will be exhausting on their own, without cramming miles of walking between rides during our free time. I felt pretty terrible by Saturday, because I was eating and drinking so much junk food. Scheduling good meals will be important as well.
Good luck 😁 I am sure that everything will be great. Be sure to check back in and let us know

We are going next year with my daughters studio. I’m so thankful for this. I was told it’s so busy that you don’t really get to enjoy the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter