9 Days at Disney and We Want More! 1/20-1/29 stay **updated 2/16**

Hi, enjoying your trip report. I love Animal Kingdom. I took my four year old there in December and she was much more interested in WE too. She actually completed the book. She was so proud of herself. We took the book back to the front and she got to sign her name in this book. They also do a little ceremony for them and announce the kids as senior wilderness explorers. If your family goes back I recommend taking your books back so the kids can complete it. Looks like you picked a great day for Animal Kingdom with very low crowds.

You got some really great photos in Animal Kingdom. That's one of my favorite parks!
Thanks. The photo of the tree at dusk was one of my favorite photos. I really with I would have thought to pull out my big camera for the pictures with DeVine. She was soo beautiful!

I love the description of your day at AK. So many people knock this park but we love it. We decided it's become a park to visit twice during our trip. What a great day you had!! Love the pics.
Thanks. We really enjoyed it! I can understand people saying it is a 1/2 park if they are just there to ride the rides, but we have always done extra educational things with our kids and they love to learn, especially when it comes to different cultures or nature. I'm looking forward to going there again.

We always spend a full day at AK too. The WE activity looks fun.
The WE program is really great. They do alot of talking about conservation and recycling, but the kids learned alot about other things also. There are 31 badges to collect in all.

Hi, enjoying your trip report. I love Animal Kingdom. I took my four year old there in December and she was much more interested in WE too. She actually completed the book. She was so proud of herself. We took the book back to the front and she got to sign her name in this book. They also do a little ceremony for them and announce the kids as senior wilderness explorers. If your family goes back I recommend taking your books back so the kids can complete it. Looks like you picked a great day for Animal Kingdom with very low crowds.
That's awesome that your daughter was able to get all of the badges! I have our WE booklets in a safe place for next time, but they are pretty beat up. We did have quite a bit of rain for our Animal Kingdom day and while it didn't slow us down enough to make the day yucky, the booklets really did take a hit. You can definitely tell they got pretty wet while we were there. The rain helped keep the crowds down and we never had to wait in a line for anything the entire day. We left tired and happy and that is really what made the day soo awesome for me.

After a nice, 'early' bed time and a really great night of sleep, we got up and went to Epcot for our 4th day in Disney.

We really didn't know what to expect with Epcot. I had heard there was alot of educational stuff there and I knew the kids would be learning alot. I also knew it was a pretty big place, so because of that, I planned 2 days there. Some people had told me that the kids would get bored there and that just 1 day would be plenty, but I really love doing extra educational things with our kids and they really like that stuff as well, so I thought we'd be just fine with 2 days there.

We got to Epcot just after they opened up the tapstiles. We had a 9:15 fastpass for Test Track, so I really didn't feel the need to get there any earlier than 9. To be honest, that was kind of how our entire time at Disney was! I had been able to get our first fast passes no later than 9:30, so there really was no need for us to arrive at the parks any earlier than 9. Anyways, they had allowed people to enter Epcot about 8:50, but none of the rides were running yet. I was fine with that. It allowed us to kind of stroll in and get the 'lay of the land'. They had CM's all over the place with bubbles and we had alot of fun with those. The kids gave lots of "high 4s" to CMs and just skipped and hopped their way through the entrance area. We stood and watched the fountain for a really long time as well. I don't know what it was about that thing, but the kids were absolutely mesmerized by it!! This is a picture I took of the kids while we were waiting for everything to open up. It was a pretty chilly day.

We got to Test Track at 9:30 and the wait was already 40 minutes. I wasn't surprised by this at all because I had been watching the wait times in the Disney app every morning for a week, but Hubby was pretty surprised by the wait time soo early in the day. We used the fast pass lane and I'll be honest, I felt kind of badly for the people who were in the standby line. It kind of felt like we were cheating.....but it was SOO nice to not have to stand and wait. Let me just say, we LOVED Test Track!!! The kids really loved designing their cars. Those touch screens are pretty awesome...and I'm not going to lie, I did look around and think "I don't even want to think about how much all these screens cost!". The ride itself was great! I've decided it's one of my favorite rides in Disney. I just love the last part when you are zipping around on the track at the high speed. I just loved it!

We had 10:30 fast passes at the character spot and it wasn't quite time for those yet, so we decided to see what Living With the Land was all about. We REALLY enjoyed that ride! We only had to wait about 10 minutes to get on it and we all really liked looking at everything in the greenhouses. The kids thought it was all really neat and after we got off the ride, I told them that we'd be doing the Behind the Seeds tour on the next day we'd be in Epcot. They were thrilled to hear that.

Next stop, the character spot. To be honest, I really wasn't impressed with the fast pass selections at Epcot. I knew we'd want Test Track, but other than that, nothing was really screaming "pick me!". So, I decided to pick the character spot so that the kids could get up close and personal with some characters. I didn't know if they'd have a chance to really meet characters without the fast passes, so since nothing else seemed worthy of a fast pass, that's what I chose. The kids had already met Mickey and Goofy, by Minnie was new to them. Maddie was especially excited to meet her and after we got our pictures with her, she said the funniest thing ever...."Mom, Minnie was wearing blue eye shadow!!". Really, kid? LOL!!! You just met Minnie Mouse and your first comment was about the color of her eye shadow???

The kids REALLY wanted to see Baymax who was in an area across from the character spot. We went inside, looked at the line, and promptly decided we'd come back to see him later. The line was just too long. By that time, the World Showcase had opened and we decided it was time for some lunch before taking Maddie for her special surprise. We got to the UK and got some awesome fish and chips from Yorkshire County Fish Shop. My goodness those were good! We sat and ate and watched the birds stalk the humans. I will say that I was pretty surprised at how bold the birds were there. I realize they were used to getting food from people....whether being fed or stealing it...but I was still surprised Disney hadn't figured out a way to keep the birds away. They were a nuisance in terms of staring at your while we ate. We also saw one steal a fry off of a guy's plate!

After filling up on the fish and chips, we were off to Japan. I had seen Japan had a Pick a Pearl and I thought Maddie would really enjoy that. Maddie really loves pearls. We told Maddie she could pick 2 oysters...one for a pearl for herself and one for a pearl for her best friend. Luke also said he wanted to pick one, and since Maddie got to make a light saber during Luke's special thing, I decided he could pick a pearl during Maddie's special thing. So, the kids picked their pearls, listened to the instructions from the girl, "SAN-NEE-ECHEE!!!!!"......and there were their pearls.

I had gotten a nice pearl cage necklace for Maddie's pearl and had gotten a matching one for her friend's pearl. In the past, her friend had gotten a set of "best friends" necklaces, but they were the cheapy kind that you get from places like 5 Below and they fell apart. I thought having matching pearl necklaces would be a nicer way to do best friends necklaces and then when they get older, maybe they could do something different and more grown up with the pearls. Tho, I will say I was REALLY tempted to get one for myself!!! I think they are really pretty!!

We left the Japan pavilion and heard the drummers doing their thing at the pagoda, so we went over to watch the show. Luke loves all things drums, so he was really into it. Maddie thought it was really interesting that the drummers were all women. After the show was over, the kids asked if we could go see if the line for Baymax was any shorter, so we walked back to check it out. The line was about half as long as it had been and I estimated it was going to take about 15 or 20 minutes to get through hit. The kids decided they were ok with waiting that long, so we got into line. It was totally worth it. The kids walked up to Baymax and Luke gave him a fist bump. He knew that Baymax wouldn't make any noises for him in real life, but Luke decided to make the noise that Baymax does with fist bumps anyways. Well, Baymax really loved that! He jumped up and down and got excited. For being a person trapped in a balloon, Baymax was pretty interactive!! He gave the kids hugs, posed for the photos, and then waved goodbye to the kids as they left. He was definitely one of our favorite characters.

The kids decided they were ready for a snack and we were ready to sit down for a little rest, so we decided to give Sunshine Seasons a try. We liked it there alot and decided that the next time we were in Epcot, we'd eat there for lunch. We saw and ate our snacks, chatted with the lady who was at the next table struggling with her young daughter. She had looked over at us and mentioned how having older kids looked alot easier than having a younger one in a place like Disney. I told her I didn't think it was easier....just different. While it's often easier to communicate with the older kids, they wants seem to be alot more complex than that of a 3 year old.

We rode Living with the Land again and then decided to find The Sum of all Thrills. The wait was only 15 minutes, so I got in line with the kids. Hubby had decided he didn't think he'd be able to handle that ride, so once we got to the CM at the front of the line, I asked if there was any way that both kids could make their own ride and then have me ride with each of them. Luke and Maddie were too young to ride by themselves, so they had to have an adult with them. He said that was something they really didn't do, but since the line wasn't too long, he thought they could manage it. Honestly, I don't think it would have taken any extra time to do it that way anyways since they'd have to ride separately if my husband had gone with them. So, in we went and they each made their rides. I helped Maddie do most of her ride and a CM who was overseeing that part of the ride realized that I was trying to help both kids and came over to help Luke with his. I really appreciated that! Then we went to the simulators and I explained to the CMs at the top of the stairs that I needed to ride with both of the kids. The one who was controlling the simulators looked a little confused, but did understand what I was asking of them. The fact that he was just a little confused about the whole thing told me that I was asking them to do something they really didn't normally do. First I rode with Maddie...she had made a fun roller coaster, then I rode with Luke who made a path for a jet plane. Both were alot of fun.

It was time to start making our way to Germany for our reservation at Biergarten. On our way, we stopped to get a picture with Spaceship Earth in the background and then another picture with Daisy.

Then we were off to enjoy some really great German food, some beer (this was Hubby's area...I don't like beer), and some good German music. We decided to take the boat across the lake to Germany. While we were waiting for the boat, I decided to take some pictures. The sunset was just sooooo pretty that night and I really liked the lights reflecting off the water. This picture is a little out of focus, but it shows just how pretty the water was.

The Eiffel Tower with the sunset behind it. I just loved the silhouette.

We ended up sitting with a neat family who, ironically, had lived in PA for a while. I was really amazed at how many people from Pennsylvania we ran into during our trip. We all commented on how happy we were to be in Florida during the crazy snow storm that was hitting the east coast.

After dinner, we used our last fast pass of the day to watch Illuminations. It-Was-AWESOME!!!!! It really wasn't a crowded day in Epcot, but the fast pass viewing area was really great. We were right in the front of the viewing area. One thing that amazed us was how we found feel the heat from the fire explosions!!! I've seen other things like that and every time I'm amazed by the amount of heat those things put out. I don't know if that will ever not amaze me.

After Illuminations, we hung out for a little bit and chatted with the CM who had been monitoring the area we were in. She sounded like she was from somewhere in Africa and she was asking the kids about where we were from and what it was like. After about 15 minutes, we decided to start to head to the main gates. The crowd was still a little too much for me, so we decided to duck into one of the shops to look at souvenirs until the crowds thinned out. We hung out and looked at everything there was to see for about 20 minutes and then decided to try leaving again. MUCH BETTER!! The kids found the pavers with pixie dust in them and stopped to look at them. I was funny to watch them bend over and touch the lights that were in the cement.

Off to the bus stop we went, only waiting about 10 minutes for our bus to come and take us back to Coronado Springs. Hubby expressed his approval on me requesting building #4 with our reservation. It was right next to the first bus stop that in picked and dropped off for park buses. We got into the room, cleaned up a bit, and promptly passed out. I think we were ALL very glad that the next day was a "rest" day. We only had to be up and moving around for a 9:40am breakfast reservation. :)

My GF is from NEPA, and we love reading your family's updates. I think it's awesome that your kids are so interested in learning. Also love the fact that you guys are taking them to WDW for them, literally. From rides to characters and exhibits.

Baymax is also one of our favorite character and we are so glad he's back in WDW. Hoping to visit in January 2017 and definitely on our Epcot to do list. Also all the food!

Last edited:

My GF is from NEPA, and we love reading your family's updates. I think it's awesome that you're kids are so interested in learning. Also love the fact that you guys are taking them to WDW for them, literally. From rides to characters and exhibits.

Baymax is also one of our favorite character and we are so glad he's back in WDW. Hoping to visit in January 2017 and definitely on our Epcot to do list. Also all the food!

Where in NEPA is she from? I grew up in Berks County and we currently live in Lycoming County, not far from Williamsport.

I think we are also hoping to visit again in January 2017. ...we also love the food! LOL!! I've been looking at all the different restaurants lately because I'd like to try all new places the next time we go, but we LOVED going to Ohana, so we may have to repeat our experience there. :)

Backing up to your AK day: in all our trips we've never managed to find Divine! I know my kids would enjoy seeing her so I'm going to have to :magnify: next time we go.
What did you think of the food at Flame Tree? We ate there last Nov. for the first time based on all the great reviews. I LOVED the cornbread, but sadly that was it and nobody else really liked their meal.

Some people had told me that the kids would get bored there and that just 1 day would be plenty,
Epcot has been my boys' favorite park since older DS was 4! Whenever someone on here asks, "What's there for kids to do in Epcot?" or something about Epcot not being for kids, I reply with a huge list of why Epcot IS for kids ::yes::

I will say that I was pretty surprised at how bold the birds were there
Yeah. Speaking of birds and Flame Tree, when we ate there in Nov. there was a bird - crane? - about 3.5' tall almost in DS's lap lol. Then when we were almost done eating a bird flew really low over our heads and.....relieved itself on our table about 1 cm. from some of our food :crazy2: We were done!

So glad you enjoyed your first day at Epcot!

Backing up to your AK day: in all our trips we've never managed to find Divine! I know my kids would enjoy seeing her so I'm going to have to :magnify: next time we go.
What did you think of the food at Flame Tree? We ate there last Nov. for the first time based on all the great reviews. I LOVED the cornbread, but sadly that was it and nobody else really liked their meal.

Epcot has been my boys' favorite park since older DS was 4! Whenever someone on here asks, "What's there for kids to do in Epcot?" or something about Epcot not being for kids, I reply with a huge list of why Epcot IS for kids ::yes::

Yeah. Speaking of birds and Flame Tree, when we ate there in Nov. there was a bird - crane? - about 3.5' tall almost in DS's lap lol. Then when we were almost done eating a bird flew really low over our heads and.....relieved itself on our table about 1 cm. from some of our food :crazy2: We were done!

So glad you enjoyed your first day at Epcot!

My daughter's teacher was really excited when he saw that we had found DiVine. He said his mom LOVES her and whenever they go down to AK, she calls ahead and gets her schedule. From what I've read, she's usually found between Asia and Africa, but that was not where we found her. We found her just past the entrance just after the tapstiles opened.

We all liked the food from Flame Tree. We make alot of BBQ here at home and don't mind a bit of spice. Ironically, my family didn't care for the cornbread. It's never been something they liked.

Hubby and I agreed that we could have easily done another 2 days at Epcot. We did more on our 2nd day at Epcot, which we did 2 days after our first day. There was definitely alot for the kids to do there. I'm glad we decided to do 2 days at Epcot.

I bet that bird was an Ibis. They were everywhere at Flame Tree as well as Yorkshire County Fish Shop. At Flame Tree, they were on the tables and railings and alot of people were trying to shoo them away, but they were really persistent. I realize there isn't much that could be done to keep them away, but they were kind of annoying.

We love Animal Kingdom too. We always feel like we don't have enough time there. This next trip we want to go twice. :D

And we have also spent a lot of time with our kids doing learning activities so they really enjoy Epcot. We can spend a long time at that park. On our last trip we seemed to end up in Epcot each day.

Where in NEPA is she from? I grew up in Berks County and we currently live in Lycoming County, not far from Williamsport.

I think we are also hoping to visit again in January 2017. ...we also love the food! LOL!! I've been looking at all the different restaurants lately because I'd like to try all new places the next time we go, but we LOVED going to Ohana, so we may have to repeat our experience there. :)

She was from Luzerne County. Roughly 20 mins drive to Scranton. She goes to school out here in San Francisco Bay Area. Last year she actually moved in with me. She always gets excited when she hears about PA when we're not in PA!

She loved Epcot the most when she first went as a teen. I have never been to FL so it's pretty exciting to read how well planned out your trips are. We can't wait to read about your second Epcot day!

Day 5--Rest Day

We had a reservation for 9:40am for the Best Friends Breakfast at Ohana, so we slept in until 8:00 and were out the door at 8:30 (this is pretty typical for us...even on a school day my kids are up and out the door in 30 minutes or less). We took the bus to Epcot and then got onto the monorail to the TTC and then transferred to the monorail that went to the Polynesian. According to a couple of places I looked, that was only 5 minutes faster than taking the bus to MK and then getting the monorail to Ohana. Since it was our first time trying to figure out how to get to another resort, I decided to stick to going to a park that we had already been so since I knew exactly how to get to the monorail there. The only thing I really didn't care for was that I had to go through the bag check for Epcot to get to the monorail. ....and of course, after going through the bag check, I was chosen to go through the metal detector. Again, it was a fast process...I just didn't feel like doing it that day. I really need to learn to look less happy and approachable.

We got to Ohana and were told they were running a bit behind, were given a pager, and had a seat in one of the chairs. The pager went off about 10 minutes later. We got the stink eye from no less than 3 families who were already waiting when we sat down. My only guess is that they did not have reservations and had gone to the check in desk looking for a table. We were given a table for 5 (I love tables larger than what we need) next to a window. It was a really great place for such a beautiful morning.

The breakfast food was wonderful! We loved that it was family style. They served Mickey and Stitch waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and potatoes in a large bowl that was placed in the middle of the table. As soon as the server saw something in the bowl was getting low, she came and refilled it. She did a really great job. Hubby drank coffee, I had milk, and the kids drank the fruit juice. The kids really enjoyed getting their picture taken with Stitch.

Lilo also stopped by for a visit.

After breakfast we walked around the Polynesian. It is a really beautiful place! I'd really love to stay in one of these rooms one day...

After walking around the Polynesian, we decided to hop over to the Grand Floridian. Holy Smokes is that place gorgeous!!!

The Disney characters inlayed in the marble floor was my favorite part of the entire place...

We hopped on the monorail and went to the Magic Kingdom, got off and made our way to the bus stop where we only waited 5 minutes for a bus back to Coronado Springs. We decided to get off at stop #1, which is actually the last bus stop at Coronado Springs. We went to Panchitos to see what items they had in the store. We didn't spend too long in the store before one of the kids needed a rest room, so we decided to walk back to our room to get ready for the surprise that I had planned for the kids and Hubby.

About an hour later, we headed back to El Centro and "ordered" our first Uber to get to Universal Studios CityWalk. The Uber arrived in less than 5 minutes, confirmed that I was the person who requested him, and off we went. I had used a promo code for $15 off our fare and ended up paying nothing more than the tip that I gave the driver. My husband....who is the most bland person on the face of the earth....has a major love for Jimmy Buffet, so my plan was to take him to Margaritaville for an early dinner. We found our way to the restaurant only to discover that a corporation had rented out the entire place for an event. I was SOOOOOO disappointed. :( Hubby handled it very well and appreciated the thought, but I was just sooo, sooooooo disappointed that I didn't get to take him there for dinner. :(

We strolled around looking for a different place for dinner, but because it was a Sunday and there was a playoff game, most places were packed. We ended up eating at the Hard Rock Cafe which isn't really something special for us. We've never really been impressed with that place and this one was no different.

After we ate, we made our way over to the theater that the Blue Man Group plays at. Hubby had seen the signage for it earlier and just knew that was the surprise for the kids (I had not told him about me getting tickets to the show). We had seen the Blue Man Group about 13 years ago in Las Vegas and we really enjoyed them. Luke is really into drums and Maddie loves music, so I thought the kids would enjoy the show. We walked up to the box office, picked up the tickets I had waiting for us there, and made our way to the doors which had just opened. An usher named Olivio showed us to our seats and we sat down. We were in the front row of the very back section. I just could not justify paying the next higher ticket prices for seats that were only 20 feet in front of those seats. Nobody complained about the seats, so I was feeling OK about them.

Every time Olivio took someone to their seats, he walked right past us and put his hand out for the kids to give him a high five. It wasn't long before the kids were both looking for him and putting their hands up in anticipation for the high fives. A couple times, Olivio stopped and chatted with us. We told him where we were from and the kids told him how old they were and what grades they were in. About 5 minutes before the show started, Olivio came over to us and said,"So, I want to tell you this. The kids were soo great at giving me high fives while I was doing my job, that I want to give you seats that are closer to the stage. Do you want to sit closer to the stage?". HECK YES!!!! ...and that is how our family got to sit in the 4th row from the stage when we went to see the Blue Man Group.

After the show, we did our typical "let's avoid the mad rush to leave" thing. While we were waiting for the crowd to thin out, the kids talked about their favorite parts of the show. It only took about 15 minutes for most people to leave the theater, so we decided to make our way out. We found Olivio and thanked him for giving us the wonderful seats. We REALLY appreciated him doing that. He asked if we had a couple minutes before we had to leave and we said yes. Then he took us out to the foyer and took us right to one of the Blue Men to get our picture taken with him. He gave him a special nod when he took us to him and the Blue Man shook our hands and asked the kids if they liked the show (without words, of course). Then he had another staff person take our picture. We had the most wonderful night there.

We made our way out to where the taxis were and requested another Uber for the ride back to our resort. Because there were soo many people standing around and it was kind of dark, we had a slightly hard time finding the Uber when it pulled up. Finally, the driver called my phone and flashed his lights and we found him. He got us to our resort quickly and I never felt like my life was endangered.

The kids talked about the show during the entire drive and the walk back to our room. The STILL talk about that night. I'm soo glad I took them to that show and soo thankful that Olivio decided to give us better seats.

Up next, our 2nd day at Epcot

Your pictures are great and make me miss Disney World so bad!!!! We were there for our first visit January 3rd-9th, just a couple of weeks before you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter