8am Surprise Opening Spoil your 8am ADR??

We had an 8:30 a.m. breakfast at CP on my birthday -- a last minute reservation grab but it was on an early opening day. I was happy to get the reservation, but disappointed it was going to be with the crowd. However, we arrived early and told them we had reservations and they let us in before 8 a.m. -- and we were not only able to get amazing pictures, but were able to ride two rides before our reservation. That may have been a fluke -- or just a great birthday present -- but it was a real treat.
So the park opened at 8:00, you had an ADR at 8:30, you got in at 8:00 with all the others? Then got to ride a couple of rides before your ADR? Smart use of a schedule change, that's for sure

There is zero reason for a "pre park opening" ADR other than to be there "pre park opening". Who would want to get up even earlier than needed if it's only for the food? The point is to get there earlier than opening. No matter what you want to do with that time...ride Mine, take pictures, meditate, whatever...the point is to be in there BEFORE the park opens.

Maybe not everyone has your same sleep schedule? :confused3 I get up at 4am on a daily basis, so when I'm on vacation my body still wakes up early. I'm purposely searching for early breakfast times that have nothing to do beating the crowds.

So the park opened at 8:00, you had an ADR at 8:30, you got in at 8:00 with all the others? Then got to ride a couple of rides before your ADR? Smart use of a schedule change, that's for sure

Actually no, they let us in at the gate at 7:45 -- so we got 15 minutes of picture taking, and then were already in Fantasyland when the rides opened at 8.

Actually no, they let us in at the gate at 7:45 -- so we got 15 minutes of picture taking, and then were already in Fantasyland when the rides opened at 8.
Also pretty common when it's park opening. Worth noting since it hadn't come up in this thread, most parks open about 15 min before official posting opening time.
So an 8:00 AM opening day would let folks in about 7:45 most days,
An 9:00 AM opening day would let folks in about 8:45 most days
Give or take 5 min.

Also pretty common when it's park opening. Worth noting since it hadn't come up in this thread, most parks open about 15 min before official posting opening time.
So an 8:00 AM opening day would let folks in about 7:45 most days,
An 9:00 AM opening day would let folks in about 8:45 most days
Give or take 5 min.

They weren't letting the crowds in at 7:45 -- only those with early morning ADRs. The gates weren't opened that early that day. That's why we had the park to ourselves except for a handful who had dining reservations at CP or Cinderella's Castle. Even after we rode the rides and got back to CP at 8:15, we only saw a handful of people on Main Street. We just lucked out I guess.

They weren't letting the crowds in at 7:45 -- only those with early morning ADRs. The gates weren't opened that early that day. That's why we had the park to ourselves except for a handful who had dining reservations at CP or Cinderella's Castle. Even after we rode the rides and got back to CP at 8:15, we only saw a handful of people on Main Street. We just lucked out I guess.
Oh, ok. Got it now. They always let the folks with a pre open ADR in at the same time, no matter what time their ADR is. I wonder though, do they include those with an ADR within 30 min of open in too.
Because the same thing that happened to us at Epcot when we had a tour scheduled.
Epcot opened at 9:00, our tour started at 9:30, so after park opened (much like your ADR was)
We got to Epcot early, to give ourselves time to walk to the check in spot and DH noticed the sign was showing check in for Dining and Tours so we went up and scanned our bands and sure enough, we got in at 8:30, even though there was no reason for our tour to allow that since it didn't start before the park opened. I thinking maybe they code the reservation to allow it early entry since they stress to be there before it starts to give yourself time to walk in. And to help the tour guests (an ADR guests) to get in and not get caught up in the actual opening crowds.
So we got in Epcot with practically no one there and went to wait by Starbucks for it to open so we could have a bite to eat before our tour check in time. We were first in to Starbucks, ate and watched the Fountain Dance Welcome Show while we ate. We could have easily gotten in position to head to a ride and gotten it done before our tour check in. We didn't but we had time for it.

They wouldn't let you in until that after your ADR time? Was it a problem that you were late?

(curious for my own future ADRs)

We weren't late, we were very early. Our ADR was for 8:30 am but I was worried about the buses so we left early. The bus came right away and I thought we would be among the first people in line for ADRs at the park entrance, but there was a very long line already (it was approx 7:30am). They didn't ask anybody their time, you just got in line and waited.

Once through the gate, we checked in at CP early and were given a pager. They called us in about 5 minutes.

My Disney crazed son was a little disappointed that the park was not 'empty', since so many people got in before us.

ps we really liked breakfast. I highly recommend going to CP when it opens. By the time we left, it was full and a little more chaotic.

Last edited:
We weren't late, we were very early. Our ADR was for 8:30 am but I was worried about the buses so we left early. The bus came right away and I thought we would be among the first people in line for ADRs at the park entrance, but there was a very long line already (it was approx 7:30am). They didn't ask anybody their time, you just got in line and waited.

Once through the gate, we checked in at CP early and were given a pager. They called us in about 5 minutes.

My Disney crazed son was a little disappointed that the park was not 'empty', since so many people got in before us.

ps we really liked breakfast. I highly recommend going to CP when it opens. By the time we left, it was full and a little more chaotic.

Oh, I get it. Thanks. I got all confused and thought you somehow had a 7:30 ADR that you were then late for.

We loved Crystal Palace -- that was the first place we had an ADR and it was so beautiful looking out the windows at the morning sun and lack of crowds.

Oh, I get it. Thanks. I got all confused and thought you somehow had a 7:30 ADR that you were then late for.

We loved Crystal Palace -- that was the first place we had an ADR and it was so beautiful looking out the windows at the morning sun and lack of crowds.

I remember when CP -- which was the first place we ever ate at in WDW -- was a cafeteria type setting with no characters. All the doors were always left open (there used to be doors all around) and birds would come in begging. It's always been such a beautiful place and setting.

This is the way I think about this issue:

If the scheduled park opening is for 9 am, there's always the possiblity they'll open at 8 am (especially if during a popular season). So, the way I look at it, I basically have the choice of making the ADR for 8 am or 10 am.

Advantages of making the ADR for 8 am:

- Assuming the opening time stays at 9 am, we get the perks of a pre-park opening ADR (e.g., fewer crowds at the turn styles, fewer people on Main St., etc.)

- We're less likely to have to wait past our ADR time at 8 am (when the restaurant opens) than at 10 am

- Our kids are used to eating breakfast around 8 am, so if we make it for 10 am, they'll likely eat snacks at 8 am (or complain the whole time that they're "starving") then not be very hungry at 10 am

- We get out of the park earlier, before it gets too crowded (we like to go to our resort for the afternoon)

- If they do change park opening from 9 am to 8 am, it's easier to change a pre-park ADR to a later time than vice versa

Advantages of making the ADR for 10 am:

- Regardless of whether they change the opening time or not, you're covered either way (and don't have to change your existing ADR)

- Have more time to sleep

- Can be more relaxed during the meal because you're not hurrying to make rope drop afterwards

So there's pros and cons for each. For us, what tips the scales to the side of making the ADR for 8 am is the fact that our kids just won't wait to eat until 10 am (just too painful for me to spend the $$$ on an expensive character breakfast that they end up hardly touching). Obviously, YMMV.

We are doing a unique one this trip.

I have an 8am BOG and I took it specifically to try and ride 7DMT and maybe a good empty street photos (secondary). i'm not gonna lie, thats why i booked it. Because after breakfast, we are not even staying in the park.

We are staying at BLT and planing a pool day that day. But since we were going to eat breakfast somewhere, might as well make it at MK which is just a short walk away from the resort.

So if that day turns out to be an early open, then yea, I'd say my plans were ruined. Am I upset about it it...no. But I'd prob cancel it b/c I can get just as good a breakfast at Contempo Cafe or just sleep in. But right now, i'm holding an ADR I made a few moths ago that i'm sure someone else would love to have, but I have to hold it until WDW makes up their mind on what they are doing. So sorry to anyone who may want it.

Note on tone: I'm not actually trying to sound like a ####, just pointing out that I can sympathize with people who make these types of ADRs with hopes of some of the ancillary benefits—quicker access to a ride, empty street photo, etc. But WDW never seems to operate on the same schedule they make their paying guests do—As it is right now, I'm 3 weeks out and still waiting on them to open booking on the SW Dessert party @ Studios. Yet my FP's and ADRs have been set for months and I have zero wiggle room for this if I can't get it. They tell me to be up early on my computer at some times back when, but now has me refreshing every few hours waiting on the opening. So I get it...and I get that in many cases Disney is in a no win situation. Its frustrating all around.

We are doing a , too. unique one this trip.
I have to point out that you're basically admitting your goal is out of the ordinary. But you're frustrated because Disney hasn't designed their operations to meet your unique needs. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

I'll admit that I'm holding onto a couple of ADRs that I'll release if things change. So what? That's not unique to Dianey. And I'd like to get the SW dessert party, too. But not everyone can, and if I can't, so what? It's not like i planned the entire trip around that. If I can't get dessert there, I'll get it elsewhere, and watch the fireworks from elsewhere, or do some other fun activity. It's all good.

I have to point out that you're basically admitting your goal is out of the ordinary. But you're frustrated because Disney hasn't designed their operations to meet your unique needs. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

I'll admit that I'm holding onto a couple of ADRs that I'll release if things change. So what? That's not unique to Dianey. And I'd like to get the SW dessert party, too. But not everyone can, and if I can't, so what? It's not like i planned the entire trip around that. If I can't get dessert there, I'll get it elsewhere, and watch the fireworks from elsewhere, or do some other fun activity. It's all good.

No...I dont have any frustrations about it, But I was saying how I could understand the OP's frustrations. Its a throw away ADR for me, if we do it or not makes no matter. But b/c of the way disney runs the system, its also an ADR I'm holding and 'may' ditch that someone else can't otherwise claim.

What i'm saying is that (and b/c you are holding ADRs too) is that WDW does not operate anywhere near the same schedule they expect their guests to do. That's all.

As for the dessert party, for me, they are important b/c they allow me to do those other fun things and still watch the show from a premium location with out spending an hour+ of doing nothing. So while I didn't plan a 'whole trip around it (lets not be so dramatic)' but it is indeed part of my plans and something that WDW is simply dragging its feet over. And thats not a 'unique' situation, its a pretty common event that they are now holding across mosrt of their theme parks and i'm sure generates a ton of revenue for them. So once again, as the guest I/we are jumping through more hoops then ever and Disney doesn't seem to be reciprocating.

Last edited:
ok so I have a silly question... if the have EMM and folks have paid to get in early, and other folks have early ADR's in hopes of getting on rides, does Disney have a way of knowing who is who? seems kinda unfair if people pay for the privilege to ride early and others get to ride also just because they had an early ADR?

pssst @GaryDis ...if you want the SW dessert party for August, its now open to book.

ok so I have a silly question... if the have EMM and folks have paid to get in early, and other folks have early ADR's in hopes of getting on rides, does Disney have a way of knowing who is who? seems kinda unfair if people pay for the privilege to ride early and others get to ride also just because they had an early ADR?
EMM people get a wrist band that shows they are part of the event. Guests with meals at Crystal Palace or BOG are held outside the restaurant until the usual rope drop time of about 15 minutes prior to posted (i.e. 8:45 on a day that the park opens to regular guests at 9) before they can go to Fantasyland (or any other area) and join the folks who have already been there participating in EMM. Some reports have said that the wrist band allows them into the FP line of the 3 included rides for the remainder of the event time (event lasts until 10am even though the park is open to all from 9:00 on) but I think some other people have reported that the wrist band did not work this way for them and they just used regular standby like everyone else unless they had a FP.

So, I'm planning for my trip for next June (2017).....and I've been dreaming of securing an 8am ADR for BOG, strolling in early to take pics in front of castle, and then leisurely walking over to SDMT to ride it first before the crowds.

However, I feel like my hopes have been crushed when my brother just got back from his trip in early June, and told me that MK unexpectedly opened at 8am several days in June (on Non-EMH days)..so I looked it up, and it seems like this happened on most days!???? Talk about spoiling it for the 8am breakfast people! Now I don't know what to do! I don't want an 8am ADR if the park will be opening at 8! I'm not going until June 2017....but, I always look at my month of travel in the year prior for help with planning!

Anyone have the inside scoop on this?

I'd have a hard time imagining something this minute could "spoil" being at MK or on vacation in general. But that's just me. I wouldn't let a hurricane "spoil" my vacation. Time to think more positive and leave "spoil" and "crushed" at home. :beach:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter