• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

8AM Magic Kingdom openings are magical

OhhBother

DIS Veteran
Magic Kingdom opened at 8 today (regular opening, not EMH). We were there for the welcome show and were riding Big Thunder Mountain before 8.

The park was so empty those first two hours. We rode Big Thunder twice -- just because they asked us when we finished if we wanted to stay on the train and go again. We also hit Splash, Jungle Cruise and Pirates -- all before 9.

We then made our way over to Tomorrowland and still encountered very short to no waits. By the time we headed to Crystal Palace around 10:15 for a 10:35 brunch ressie, crowds were getting thick. Brunch was great -- Rabbit was there instead of Piglet! First time I've seen that in multiple visits.

We then used our FPs after brunch to take in SDMT and a couple other rides before heading to the room around 12:30 for a much-needed nap.

My DH and I usually avoid summer trips, but we wanted to come with our extended family so we're working around school schedules. Taking advantage of the 8AM opening was amazing and well worth getting up early for. This trip has taught me you can avoid the crowds even in summer -- if you're willing to get up early.

How early should we be at the bus stop to head to MK for rope drop???? Been to Disney 7 times but never did rope drop....

Secrets out! I will be there at 8am this year! :-)

After 14 trips, my family and I have never been to MK at rope drop. We've only done AK because of the safari....and that park was empty at that time so we rode the safari....oh wait, if I tell you, then that secrets out. [Clear my throat].....we did the safari one time because of the massive crowds and the animals were all hiding because of the intense heat at that early hour in the morning...wink, wink.

Thanks for the info.

How early should we be at the bus stop to head to MK for rope drop???? Been to Disney 7 times but never did rope drop....

For an 8:00 opening, I'd say no later than 7. If you want to be closer to the front, back that up half an hour.

I think our earliest was being at the bus stop at about 5:45 in the morning for a winter EMH 7:00 A.M. time. We were one of the first busses to arrive and got to watch the CM come out and choose the First Family of the day that morning, which was pretty cool.

IMG_5287.JPG

Photo above from that very humid morning in the dark! But it reminded me of another tip for you rope drop novices -- don't line up on ONE side of the turnstiles because there are others there. They open ALL the turnstiles at the same time. Start a new queue at an open turnstile. That's my crew to the left. Every other person on the first 3 busses bulked up on the right!

I'm not too worried about "word getting out" for Rope Drop. There are way too many visitors absolutely horrified about getting up that early!

But there's nothing like a nearly empty Main Street when the sun is coming up!

gYjiB5pbwzib04_9PudMw3LdO-6QJn1jRljfFbZMAsMXjVNPP7wMny0N3zeIOmB6kTqxIefXmmqaOUTMRrlXrLG7GSrPnhA9w2B8gXJuFU4d7M8pSrfbHVxOIOA0fCffszmpirFfKONIZtM9mPbd9G-F2a3VTxQNhmNXfwQ0jJZ8cMghmzPzMuiPGuiIzc_rK40hJ6PSxVldVVFa2ioJjJQG_F3kJfPkNnaZ43x42JTz9pyMgYsGQkHvsGiSw9t73dE-gQNLpRvQSW0HhCCFuCKnV4Z5G0nv4GBnY-GZsRsZdWsGkAc1Y8bsMKdZ-Z4Dd45e1MRTBuvk6WF7s1UE7kthIvZgikh87y8AoUQPPIrXqN7o2pJGD-gMufja9X5y4xeWostu8f-BWzVd6SFS9HDcOYaTbYf_BY9mLrWLWmxpJFvIGe9FyYAahxO0M572ZBrkPRMfjNoj7TQl3SH5n-wDiWKRvZgw3NmcnMTOwn93FV1VZhgjkwe0TCtISp7stRny9ICqudH_2YiuXxeheBEC9633BRcaG9ch0YSulPZGD8wNUnOmyPmjXZtG6rRolN0Y0m6gVUqwvq5zBep4h6zwNWSmQi6k=w1344-h896-no

(from Dec. 2015)

Last edited:

We were at the bus stop at 7 this morning and happened to catch a bus immediately. We were at the park and waiting for the welcome show at 7:30. We're staying at OKW.

I'm more shocked that Rabbit was at CP. That in itself was an awesome luck of the draw and I'm pretty jealous.

I know! My DH and I got a photo with just the two of us. We let the kids in our party monopolize time with the other three characters, but I wanted a Rabbit photo!

For an 8:00 opening, I'd say no later than 7. If you want to be closer to the front, back that up half an hour.

I think our earliest was being at the bus stop at about 5:45 in the morning for a winter EMH 7:00 A.M. time. We were one of the first busses to arrive and got to watch the CM come out and choose the First Family of the day that morning, which was pretty cool.

IMG_5287.JPG

Photo above from that very humid morning in the dark! But it reminded me of another tip for you rope drop novices -- don't line up on ONE side of the turnstiles because there are others there. They open ALL the turnstiles at the same time. Start a new queue at an open turnstile. That's my crew to the left. Every other person on the first 3 busses bulked up on the right!

I'm not too worried about "word getting out" for Rope Drop. There are way too many visitors absolutely horrified that getting up that early!

Yea that is early for me while on vacation.... Even tho I will most likely be awake cause I don't sleep much I would just probably not wanna get out of bed....

IMG_5287.JPG

I'm not too worried about "word getting out" for Rope Drop. There are way too many visitors absolutely horrified that getting up that early!

gYjiB5pbwzib04_9PudMw3LdO-6QJn1jRljfFbZMAsMXjVNPP7wMny0N3zeIOmB6kTqxIefXmmqaOUTMRrlXrLG7GSrPnhA9w2B8gXJuFU4d7M8pSrfbHVxOIOA0fCffszmpirFfKONIZtM9mPbd9G-F2a3VTxQNhmNXfwQ0jJZ8cMghmzPzMuiPGuiIzc_rK40hJ6PSxVldVVFa2ioJjJQG_F3kJfPkNnaZ43x42JTz9pyMgYsGQkHvsGiSw9t73dE-gQNLpRvQSW0HhCCFuCKnV4Z5G0nv4GBnY-GZsRsZdWsGkAc1Y8bsMKdZ-Z4Dd45e1MRTBuvk6WF7s1UE7kthIvZgikh87y8AoUQPPIrXqN7o2pJGD-gMufja9X5y4xeWostu8f-BWzVd6SFS9HDcOYaTbYf_BY9mLrWLWmxpJFvIGe9FyYAahxO0M572ZBrkPRMfjNoj7TQl3SH5n-wDiWKRvZgw3NmcnMTOwn93FV1VZhgjkwe0TCtISp7stRny9ICqudH_2YiuXxeheBEC9633BRcaG9ch0YSulPZGD8wNUnOmyPmjXZtG6rRolN0Y0m6gVUqwvq5zBep4h6zwNWSmQi6k=w1344-h896-no

(from Dec. 2015)
this is simply gorgeous~

We were there today. We were at our stop at 6:30, on a bus by 6:40. We arrived right around 7 and were the first in our line for the tapstiles. We were able to get a great spot up front in the middle for the show (8:15 BBB appointment, so no rushing for a ride)

Today's made me weepy because it started raining before it was over. ;) But I would agree, it was a magical 8am opening at the MK and the short shower helped to keep it cool for a bit IMO.

We'll be there for 8:00 am on Monday June 20th...shhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone!!!! ;-)

We were there at 8AM RD on Monday this week. Before 9:45, we had done: Peter Pan, Splash Mountain twice, Big Thunder twice, Aladdin's carpets, Jungle Cruise, and met Jasmine. Plus we had a pineapple spear snack. It was a great morning.

Went with my sister's family many years ago during spring break. I made everyone get up early for every rope drop, but MK was the earliest and we were definitely at the bus stop by 6:30 one or 2 mornings. My BIL was not happy with me on those mornings but, by 11 a.m., when he saw the crowds pouring in he thanked me :thumbsup2 ...however, on the 4th day of the trip, I sent them to rope drop at EPCOT and slept in :) I could NOT get myself out of bed.

IMG_5287.JPG

I'm not too worried about "word getting out" for Rope Drop. There are way too many visitors absolutely horrified about getting up that early!

(from Dec. 2015)
Beautiful pics!

This is good to hear! We are limited by DH's school schedule (teacher) so we are planning on driving down the June after next. A lot of guidebooks and web sites say summer is the worst time to go, but I'm glad to know with a good plan and early wake-up call you can see a lot and beat some of the crowds/heat from later in the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter