8 year old on dining plan

twokids0204

DIS Dad #561
I know if I am paying for the DDP I can choose to pay for the full DDP for my 8 year old, instead of the kids.

Can I upgrade my kid (buy an adult park ticket) and have him use the Adult (full menu) DDP - on FREE DINING?

The kids choice are very limited, and he is not a big fan of burgers and nuggets every day.

Our daughter is 9. We took advantage of the free dining for our upcoming trip, and put her down as 10, just so she would get the adult meal plan. We paid a little extra for the park tickets, well under $100 if memory serves me, so for us, it was worth it. She can't stand the kids meal offerings, and really eats more like an adult.

So, while I don't know about upgrading per say, the age change over is 10.

We did this for our son when we went during free dining. He was 9 and would've been miserable all week eating the limited kids options while we were enjoying adult meals. It was no problem to upgrade him to an adult ticket/DDP and it was well worth the cost difference so that he could be happy with his meals.

Only because someone will come by and say it's immoral, lying, etc. to give Disney more money so your kid can get an adult meal... ;)

I agree with this. I upgraded my dd for our trip in three weeks with no problem. I think she would have been tired of the kids menus, plus the wee might of a child eats like a horse ( or at least like her teenage brother! :lmao: )

Our trip is in 47 days and I'm thinking about doing this. Do you think they will give me a hard time since I already booked them as 6 and 7 way back last November?
They have become quite the steak eaters and steak is usually not on a kids menu!

As PP's said, you absolutely can. Before you do, however, I would take a look at where you plan on eating. My kids don't eat Disney nuggets and the like and we've never had a problem. If you are eating at a lot of buffets or all you can eat type places, such as 'Ohana, the kids will have the same menu. Also, some TS places have decent options, such as Mahi Mahi at Coral Reef. At CS, we usually shared adult meals and then used extra credits for breakfast. I've never upgraded my kids and we've never had a problem finding them something good to eat. Of course, this may not be the case based on where you are eating. Just a thought....

Just did it for my upcoming trip with my DD9. CM said it wasn't an uncommon request, and had no problem upping her age to 10. I paid the difference in the ticket price (~$25), but she'll be able to eat on the adult menu the whole time.

I am thinking of doing this for my son also. My question is do I just call and ask to switch his age??? I won't need to redo my whole reservation will I??? Thanks so much!! This is why I love the Dis.....I have been wondering baout this and come on here and find my info in a second :thumbsup2

(copied from another forum)

1. You can cut up all the meal entrees (including the nuggets) into pieces and share back and forth.

2. You can hold aside for the future the adult ticket for your child when you put him down as an adult, and buy a child ticket separately for him to use now.

I am thinking of doing this for my son also. My question is do I just call and ask to switch his age??? I won't need to redo my whole reservation will I??? Thanks so much!! This is why I love the Dis.....I have been wondering baout this and come on here and find my info in a second :thumbsup2

Just call and tell them the truth. That your son won't be happy with the kids meals so you would like to switch his age to 10 and pay for him to be upgraded to an adult. If your going during free dining it will only cost you the difference between an adult and child park ticket. I did this for my son after looking at the menus and the CM was more then happy to do it.

When we went this June, I didn't realize that this was an option and my son (9) made the best of it, but had I known it was possible I would have done it. The kids menu at the CS restaurants is extremely limited.

Just call and tell them the truth. That your son won't be happy with the kids meals so you would like to switch his age to 10 and pay for him to be upgraded to an adult. If your going during free dining it will only cost you the difference between an adult and child park ticket. I did this for my son after looking at the menus and the CM was more then happy to do it.

I may do this also.. my dd will be 8 when we go and she definitely loves the grown up meals. We are also going for free dining so paying extra for the park ticket won't cost that much. Is it easy to change the reservation from child to adult??

UPDATE

Thanks folks...

I did call up, and I told them the truth.

And she changed the reservation without any questions.

Only cost me $20 more.

This is good to know. The kids choices are so mediocre. We booked our trip under the "kids stay and play free" code and I added the dining plan so I wont mess with it. If they insist on trying something different, I'll get for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter