8/15/09-Eastern-Tortola Treasure Seekers #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gina,
I checked with Kevin. I have to drag him away from graphic novels like The Watchman to read what I call "real" books. LOL. He really liked "Holes", the Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings series, Fahrenheit 451 and the Eragon series.
I read somewhere that there is a book series that is set in WDW - with kids solving a mystery in the different parks. I think I have the titles written down somewhere. I'll see if I can find it...

The mystery book is: Mystery at Walt Disney World by Carol Marsh...I thought it would be great and not one person I gave it to liked it (neither did I and all I read is kids books). :confused3

A lot of the boys LOVE graphic novels! I do encourage them with my students but also require "real books" to be read as well! ;)

Holes - by Louis Sachar is another great book! It is realistic fiction and entertaining.

Harry Potter - LOVE the books. The only hard part is that boys who do not like to read will sometimes not want to pick up those huge books. If they do pick it up and like it...they will be hooked! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the reading suggestions. I know what books you are referring to in the Magic Kingdom mystery series. I think we have one here too. Neither of my kids will pick up the Harry Potter books because of their size. DH has read them all and we've seen the movies but no interest in reading them. I have to admit that I tried to read one when they first came out and the names alone slowed down my reading so I understand. DH said I should at least read book 6 since we just saw the movie and a lot was omitted.

I'm going completely off topic now. Anyone with boys in the 9-11 age group that can recommend a few good books to read. My DS10 is not a pleasure reader, only reads when forced to. The only book I've seen him sit down with enjoyment is the Diary of a Wimpy kid series. He needs to read 2 books this summer. Any suggestions? I know there are a bunch of teachers on this thread so I'm hoping you can help.

Thanks.

How about the Dragon Slayer's Academy series? I read them to my DS(8)and even DH enjoyed hearing the stories.

Also my DS is currently into The Warriors series by Erin Hunter (about clans of wild cats) which is a little bit beyond his reading level but he really enjoys the books. They are really popular and we always need to reserve them at the library.

Thanks for the reading suggestions. I know what books you are referring to in the Magic Kingdom mystery series. I think we have one here too. Neither of my kids will pick up the Harry Potter books because of their size. DH has read them all and we've seen the movies but no interest in reading them. I have to admit that I tried to read one when they first came out and the names alone slowed down my reading so I understand. DH said I should at least read book 6 since we just saw the movie and a lot was omitted.

One last thing...if your DS does not like reading a whole lot, I really recommend books that are part of a series if at all possible. That way if they like the book, there is immediately another book you can put in their hands.

One last thing...if your DS does not like reading a whole lot, I really recommend books that are part of a series if at all possible. That way if they like the book, there is immediately another book you can put in their hands.

Agree. He did read (with his class) City of Ember and then read the remaining ones on his own. Every time I picked up the book it put me to sleep :rotfl2:

Tortola Treasure Seekers Web Site -

Just wanted to let everyone know that I added the FE files to the site (they are uploading as I type).

Also updated the blog - all my fun Disney planning is typed out!

That is all for tonight! It is really getting fun at this point and I can't wait to actually get on that ship and meet everyone!!!!

Chat tomorrow!
Jen

Hi. Okay, maybe I am cheap but I was shocked at how expensive magnetic paper is!! Then I found two internet sites that sell them a little bit cheaper than Staples (even with shipping). In case anyone still has magnets to make, here are the sites:
decalpaper.com or dharmatrading.com

Question for the ladies - is there anyone else "not' planning on getting super dressed up for formal night? My DH desperately wants to "just relax" on the cruise and that means he'll be a little more casual than the rest of the guys in the room. Which is fine with me - but I don't want to be in a gown when he is in a simple shirt and tie. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance that I won't stick out like a sore thumb in a "little black dress"...:confused3 (well, maybe not so "little"! LOL...)

I am not the fancy gown dress up type. I too am wearing just a little black dress for formal night and probably something even less fancy for semiformal night. Hope that makes you feel better.

I am not the fancy gown dress up type. I too am wearing just a little black dress for formal night and probably something even less fancy for semiformal night. Hope that makes you feel better.

Little black dress here too for formal night and Palo.

"If you can't be chic, be odd." - The Grass is Greener :goodvibes

I'm going completely off topic now. Anyone with boys in the 9-11 age group that can recommend a few good books to read. My DS10 is not a pleasure reader, only reads when forced to. The only book I've seen him sit down with enjoyment is the Diary of a Wimpy kid series. He needs to read 2 books this summer. Any suggestions? I know there are a bunch of teachers on this thread so I'm hoping you can help.

Thanks.

DH has always suggests Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

I'm wearing a long black skirt - NOT very dressy . :goodvibes

My point is that :thumbsup2 everyone should dress as he/she likes better !!
It's a vacation after all !!!

Don't be "worried" Jude and anyone with a little black dress : YOU WILL BE SO HAPPY that your "clothing" will seem "sparkling" !!!! :goodvibes:thumbsup2:)

Laura ( :rotfl2: ITALIAN High couture ;) Stylist :lmao: !!!!!!! )

THANK YOU Jen for all of your hard "work" on the web site and especially for FEs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll check it out asap ( sort of rough day here again ...)

:wave: laura

Thanks.

The 39 Clues series is pretty good. There are currently four books out:
Book 1: The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan
Book 2: One False Note by Book by Gordon Korman
Book 3: The Sword Thief by Peter Lerangis
Book 4: Beyond the Grave by Jude Watson

THERE IS A MISTAKE!!!!

If you have downloaded the document with the list of rooms off of our website for the FE, please note...I made a mistake!

Even though I try to be careful...I often do the website stuff late at night and do make a few mistakes. I feel horrible because I left someone off (so very sorry Elena)!!!!!

I have fixed it now and the "list of rooms (by room #)" should now have everyone.

Everyone else might want to check that I have everything correct. I would hate to miss something.

Thanks everyone!!!
Jen

Thank you again for all of your very hard work...:thumbsup2

Thanks Jen

You have done wonders with our site.

THANK YOU Jen for all of your hard "work" on the web site and especially for FEs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave: laura

Thanks everyone! I have loved doing it all - it has really helped me stay excited about our trip!!!

As I just posted...I have made mistakes but overall, I hope it has been helpful for everyone! :goodvibes

Jen

Jen, thanks for all your hard work on the site and with the FE's! :)

Your welcome! Although...as I said...I feel terrible that I missed you on the original list! I tried to be so careful but I was just anxious to get it done last night.

I feel much better that it is now corrected! :thumbsup2

Jen, Not a problem it happens in the real world IT department all the time, As one IT person I know first hand:rotfl2:

One more item off the list, most of the problems on Beth laptop are now resolved, So I can go back to vacation planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter