• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

7 months pregnant at WDW...would you do it?

JodyTG

A new pair of shoes can change your life.
I'm not sure it this is the place to post this question but here goes anyway...

My DH, DD and I have had a Christmas trip to WDW planned all year (plane tickets already bought) and we just found out that we're 6 weeks pregnant. I estimate that I'll be 7 months along at that time. Has anyone else done this? Is it a good idea to travel this far along? Would you just cancel and say "oh well"?

Just as an FYI...DD has been 5 times and I've been 6, but this is DH's first ever trip to WDW.

WDW is beautiful at Christmas time. Even if you can't ride some of the rides, there are several you can still do, especially the shows. Not to mention the restaurants and snack items to satisfy and cravings you may have!

I travelled in my 27th week with twins, and my sister in her 7 month flew to attend our uncle's funeral. Obviously get your MD's oppinion/approval.

Check with the airlines. They may be able to do something that would allow you to change your tickets without a penalty if you decide not to go.

Good luck with your decision.

Check with your health insurance, as well as with your OB, of course. Some won't pay for an out-of-state delivery in the last trimester (some have a shorter amount of time closer to the due date) because they expect you to stay close to home near the end.

I'm not sure if I'd do it or not. Is the trip actually during Christmas? I'd probably do it during the first 2 weeks of December, but the crowds will be hideous closer to Christmas. I think I'd wait until the fall after the baby is born, or reschedule for a few weeks earlier if your trip is during the holiday season.

Its probably a good idea to find out if you have insurance coverage issues (I had no idea that could be a problem!)....but otherwise I'd go ahead and do it.

This October I'll be going for the second time at about 5 months pregnant....in two weeks I'll be there for the second time in the first trimester (oh, now wait...I guess I was pregnant when we were there a couple weeks ago...so make that the third time!) But I wouldn't hesitate at all to go later in my pregnancy. I know airlines have restrictions as well though....so look into that.

There really aren't a lot of things you can't do....just drink plenty of water (to avoid early labor) and don't push yourself too much!

And have fun!

IMHO - if it were me, I would not go. But that is based on my previous pregnacies and my own situation.

Disney is wonderful at anytime. This isn't a "have to" trip, its a "it would be nice" trip. Difference between wants and needs. I would postpone the trip till baby is at least 6-9 months old.
Again - that's me, and I know I am outnumbered. Don't flame me, the poster was looking for opinions.

Just please talk to your doc about it. Detail what you hope to do and see what his/her opinion is based on your own pregnacy.

Best wishes to you and family.

Pam

I went when I was 30 weeks pregnant with DS. My OBGYN approved the trip. I did walk a lot, but with frequent rests, and "plodding" along at my own pace. Follow your doctor's advice and listen to your own body. If you feel comfortable, go. If you have misgivings and are a worrier, would you be able to relax enough to enjoy the vacation?

I am currently 34 weeks, I was scheduled for a trip early June when I would have been 27/28 weeks and I chose to cancel - actually postpone, we will be going in December with our new baby.

I mainly chose to postpone because I had my dd at 34 weeks, and I just didn't feel comfortable being so far from home that late in my pregnancy. I checked and you can fly upto 28 weeks without a Drs Note (at least on BA you can).

I actually flew within the UK 2 weeks ago, with a Drs Note, and I felt so uncomfortable afterwards, with terrible swollen feet, that I wouldn't recommend flying later in pregnancy.

December won't be hot, so that's one less thing to worry about, but my personal opinion would be to either bring the trip forward to 20-24 weeks, or leave it until after the baby is born.

Bev

:earsboy:WELCOME to the DIS JodyTG!!!:earsboy:

I was 6 and 1/2 mths pregnant with Erich so yes I'd have gone at 7 too!! :teeth: I checked with my OB first and took it easy on the trip.It was mid June so it was pretty darn hot!One day we didn't even do the parks.I slept,rested my feet and in the evening went to a nice dinner and a round of mini golf.

We drove and when I got home my feet swelled HORRIBLEY!:eek: Thank goodness they weren't like that while I was AT the parks...oy! ...I'd a never made it!:rolleyes:

I'm another I would not go. My Ds was born at 24 weeks after a perfect 24 weeks of pregnacy. Had he waited two more week we would have been on vacation. Not wdw, but many miles away from home, my doctor and a top notch hospital.

My situation was very unusual but I know now it can happen. A least one insurance policy we have had did have a rule that it would not pay for out of area delivery during the latter part of a pregnacy.

Only you can decide and you will make the right decision for yourself.

Jordan's mom
(that 24 weeker is 11 and is almost 5ft and 100 lbs)

i was 32 weeks preg w/ DD (first baby) last year at our trip over memorial day weekend. We chose to take the trip (w/ dr. approval) because it would be our last chance to travel sans kids for a long while.

We walked WAY too much the first day and pretty much made ourselves horribly sore for the rest of the trip, but still had a great time.

The only thing I regret is not taking a picture of every bathroom I visited. I think it would have made a wonderful (and lengthy) photo editorial. ;)

Keep in mind that even if you fall within the "range" for the trip down to FL, you might be out of it for your return week, and the airline could deny boarding.

Frankly I wouldn't want to be so far from home that late in a pregnancy. What if something went wrong? What if you have a probalem and are hospitalized? You doctor and records are a long way away.

I'd cancel.

Anne

I would and did. I was 7 1/2 months when I went. I simply took it easier than usual. Spent more time at the pool, walked slower and enjoyed what was around me. Had a great time. And I would do it again. It has to be up to you. If you feel good, all is well, then hey why not go and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about all the "what ifs. "My doctor said go, florida has wonderful hospitals, computers can do wonders and records can be faxed and overnighted and to enjoy the peace because trips will never be the same. And he was right. We took my 11 1/2 month old for his first trip a few weeks ago. It was the greatest trip ever!

I went with a 3 year old a 10 month old AND I was 7 months pregnant! :) We all had a great time- according to my OB- his cut off and the airline's is 36 weeks- the airline may ask for a letter after that saying it's okay. I would not go if I had a LONG car ride or a flight over 2-3 hours- swelling is an issue and you need to stay hydrated. I've never heard of any insurance not paying as long as the travel was prior to 36 weeks.
Congratulations on your pregnancy- and just think- you'll unlikely take another trip as adults only until all your kiddies are grown! :) My kids will probably still be begging to go with us when they're married and with their own children- I just love that commercial- hope you've seen it!

Best wishes!!
Tara

Last year in October I was 6 months pregnant. We only went for 4 nights. I tell you what I REALLY needed that time away. I had no energy at home. I had a 2yr old to take care of also. We took this trip and we took ALOT rests through out the parks. We even were staking out parade spots 2hrs before. (which was not needed) I felt so great those 4 nights. I then came home and I was exhausted. It was an unusually hot and humid October. I made sure that I drank LOTS of water. We probaly spent $100.00 for water in those four days. :earseek: Just talk to your Doctor first. :D

My husband and I went on a last minute trip to WDW when I was 7 months pregnant with my mother and brothers. It was in September and I'm glad I went. I cleared it with my doctor and took my insurance info just in case and we had a great time. Of course I couldn't go on certain rides but there was still plenty to do and eat!

We just returned from vwl/akl/vero trip with wife @7 months and 2 1/2 year old in tow. Just dont get distracted and listen to your body. Rest, eat and play when your body says so (remember there are plenty of bathrooms there too). Unless you have a significant medical history or high risk pregnancy go and enjoy yourself . Medical centers are well prepared for unexpected arrivals. Notify your ob/gyn and check insurance

My personal opinion would be don't go but then I had my 1st born at 35 weeks after a wonderful trouble free pregnancy and then my twins at 32 weeks after nothing but trouble during the pregnancy but I appreciate I am not typical. I think I would prefer to have it to look forward to when the baby was a few months old but only you know how you feel about it.

I'm 6 and a half mos. pregnant now and just came back from spending the wknd at BCV's -- personnally, after this wknd, I'd say either postpone your trip until after the baby is born or go earlier.

Living here in FL I've taken lots of wknd trips and I took wknd trips in May,June and now this past wknd -- the further along I'm getting the much more uncomfortable it has become and we take it pretty easy considering we have AP's and have seen and done WDW lots. Granted, it is now July and hotter than Christmas time will be but I spent most of the day in the pool and most of my walking was done after the rain came and cooled everything off in the late afternoons and evenings. I just found that I tired very easily and felt like I was slowing down my dh and 3yr old ds a bit. Not to mention I spent all of yesterday recovering from the weekend and my feet and ankles were quite swollen.

If you are one of those people who has felt absolutely wonderful throughout your entire pregnancy - than maybe you would feel you can go for it but as for my personnal experience, this was defenitly the last trip until the baby comes because I was just too uncomfortable now that I'm nearing 7 mos. You say you are only 6wks along -- if you're comfortable chancing you'll feel wonderful throughout your pregnancy you may be fine, but for me, I'd be afraid to depend that far out on feeling great when you may or may not. I'd much rather change my trip for a time when I know for sure I'll be able to enjoy it and without worry.

I have never been pregnant but I was there with my pastors family and my pastors wife was about seven months pregnant with their fifth child. Her only problem was "trying to walk up hill with your legs crossed". She said if you can make it up the monarail ramps without turning around to pee you are fine when you get to the top. Just drink lots, etc....basic common sense for being outside in that climate.

I did not go to WDW, but I did go on a long weekend trip with my DH when I was 35wks along with my second child. We had a great time and I had no problems. Again, airlines were fine at less than 36wks--I checked before booking!
I second the opinion that I would not go DURING Christmas week. Christmas is VERY crowded and tough--first weeks of December would be better.
As many others have said, though. Check with your OB now. Get his or her opinion. Perhaps that will give you more insight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter