7 days too long for a 5 year old

I'd go as long as you can!

Our first time taking both kids, they were almost 5 and 2 1/2, and we drove (12 hour drive). Stayed first night (got in at 1:30am) at the Doubletree in Downtown Disney, then 10 nights at the BWV. Then one night visiting family in Naples, two days drive home. It wasn't too long at all.

We took my son when he was 5 years old for a week. He didn't want to leave. He says he wants to do 2 weeks next time! hahaha I don't think a week is too long. Kids have a lot of energy and can do it!! But it might be too long for grandparents! (and he might miss his parents). My parents get worn out from my son after a week (we stay for a couple weeks with them over the summer at the beach) - kids are tiring and my parents aren't that old (70 and 73) but they do get tired after a full day of constant play!! I don't want to ask your age maybe you are a younger grandparent and won't tire out as easily! But yes - the stroller will definitely help - we used one at 5 years old.

We have gone to Disney annually with our grandchildren since they were less than a year. They are now 20 and 17.
We always went for 7 or 8 days. We left the parks a little after noon and spent the afternoons swimming or resting, then returned to the parks in the evenings. The stroller is a great idea.

A few years back we went for a quick 4 day trip......never again. It was so hectic running around trying to get in all the "must do" rides and shows. The longer trips are so much more relaxing.

Well thank you all for your input. I am a 52 year young nana & I go to Disney every year & can handle it. Pretty confident now that my grandson can handle a 7 day trip as well. We are very close and this nana has gotten him hooked on Disney characters since birth So will be so exciting to share this special trip with him. He doesn't know yet so now I have to think about how to tell/surprise him in a special way. Can't wait!!!!! So excited!!

You all have been so helpful I have one more question. Was going to rent stroller from kingdom strollers but have to fold & carry on bus along with my grandson does not sound like fun. Is 5 yrs old too big for an umbrella stroller? Want him to be comfy when he is in there , especially if he falls asleep. So thinking something more lightweight for me to handle on bus would be better for me

You all have been so helpful I have one more question. Was going to rent stroller from kingdom strollers but have to fold & carry on bus along with my grandson does not sound like fun. Is 5 yrs old too big for an umbrella stroller? Want him to be comfy when he is in there , especially if he falls asleep. So thinking something more lightweight for me to handle on bus would be better for me

You'll get opinions on both sides on this, but for me it wasn't TOO bad to fold up the stroller for a bus ride. I would also want it to be comfortable for a nap!

You will need to find out his weight and check it against any strollers you might use. McClaren XLR folds up easy like an umbrella stollen and holds bigger weights. It's expensive though so I got one off Craig's list. I'm sure you guys wil have a great trip!

I see you want to rent. Our airline/airport didn't charge for strollers so it made sense to us to bring it because lax is huge and we always have a lot to carry, overpackers.

I am looking for a stroller to be delivered & picked up at the resort. Are all the rental companies allowed to do that at Disney & if not , which ones?

Honestly, I'd skip the stroller. You've got 7 days and its just the two of you - no older kids to also make happy. You do not need to go commando. Just don't plan too long of days. Purposefully build into the day enough breaks. Make sure he gets enough sleep. Don't make every day TOO long. If you have really long day - make the next one shorter with time to catch up on sleep. Make sure he gets enough healthy food to offset the junk food.

Did a trip with my niece at that age (she was tall, too) - we had a great time - no stroller. It's about your approach to the trip - with a healthy, active 5 yo without special needs - a non-stroller trip is totally possible. It will save you a ton of hassle/work to be stroller free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter