• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

60 Candles, 30 Million Lights, Best Friends&Family at Disney--Priceless (New 5/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatMark

DIS Veteran
I know I still have lots of responses to do on my last TR and my PTR, and I will get to them. But I wanted to at least get this TR started.

For those who might be new to a KatMark trip report, here is how this trip came about.

I was supposed to do a girls' trip with MaryAZ and her daughters in January. Mary informed me that they were going on a cruise and we wouldn't be able to do the girls' trip. Seeing that our oldest son, Andy, was buying us Annual Passes for our September trip, I really wanted to get more use out of them. So a plan was born in my head: why not take my wonderful husband to Disney for his 60th birthday to see the Osborne Lights and Christmas decorations...something we've talked about for years doing, but never could with the kids sports schedule when they were younger.

I then called Nicki, my best friend who I met here on the DIS (MickeyNicki) and asked her what her dates were and whether or not we could coordinate. Then I ran it by Andy and said, "what if I take your dad to Disney as a surprise for his 60th birthday?" Andy replied, "what about me?" I said "we won't actually be gone on Christmas, but early in December before the crowds." Again he said, "what about me?" I told him he was welcome to join us if he didn't have a full-time teaching job by then and he should invite his girlfriend, Des, to join us too. A trip was born and the planning and secrecy began.

Let me introduce you to the cast of characters:

First, there is my wonderful husband, Mark, and me (Kathy). Mark and I have been married for 29-1/2 years and have two wonderful sons, Andy (age 26) and Mark (age 24). Andy has been dating Des for 1-1/2 years and Mark proposed to Alisha in March of this year and will be married in June of next year

Day5September202012170.jpg

Then we have Andy and Des. Andy is an English teacher without a job. He does substitute quite frequently until that full-time job comes around. He also is the varsity baseball assistant coach at one of the schools in our conference and also coaches a summer and fall ball baseball team. His other job is working at a baseball academy and he gives private hitting and catching lessons. Des is currently working as a bartender at a restaurant about 30 minutes from her house

AndyandDes.jpg

Last, but certainly not least, are Nicki and Todd. As I mentioned above, I met Nicki here on the DIS. I think it was 2008 when we first started talking regularly. We then met her in 2009 for a quick cup of coffee on Marco Island. Mark then saw her and Todd for dinner in the spring of 2010 and we have spent a week on Marco Island every year since then and spend our time with them (we've also gone the last two Aprils on Mark's business trips). Nicki is truly my long lost sister since I never had one. And I could not ask for a better little sister. She is my best friend and sister rolled into one and I love her. We talk my text, email, Facebook or on the phone every single day. Todd is a doll, although a little quiet. He is getting better at talking...well at least when Nicki and I let him get in a word. Mark and Todd get along great and often just ignore us and talk amongst themselves. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Day13September282012078.jpg

And all six of us:

firstdinner.jpg

(Nicki, I borrowed yours because for some reason, mine is NOT on my pictures)

Our youngest son, Mark, and his fiance, Alisha, could not join us. Mark coaches wrestling in high school and wrestling season started a month ago and he just couldn't take the time off (he also runs the youth wrestling club).

So, there you have it...6 great friends/family going to Disney World.

Up next, the BIG reveal.

Night of Reveal and Beginning of First Day
First Day, Part 2
First Day, Part 3
First Day, Part 4
First Day, Part 4 (Cont)
First Day, Part 4 (Cont)
Christmas pictures
Day 2, Part 1
Day 2, Part 1 (Continued)
Day 2, Part 2
Day 2, Part 2 (Continued)
Day 2, Part 3
Day 2, Part 3 (Continued)
Day 2, Part 4
Day 2, Part 4 (Continued)
Day 3, Part 1
Day 3, Part 1 (Continued)
Day 3, Part 2
Day 3, Part 2 (Continued)
Day 3, Part 3
Day 3, Part 3 (Continued)
Day 3, Part 4
Day 3, Part 4 (Continued)
Day 3, Part 5
Day 3, Part 5 (Continued)
Day 3, Part 6
Day 3, Part 6 (Continued))

Day 3, Part 6 (Continued)
Day 3, Part 6 (Continued)

Day 4, Part 1
Day 4, Part 1 (Continued)
Day 4, Part 2
Day 4, Part 2 (Continued)
Day 4, Part 3
Day 4, Part 3 (Continued)
Day 4, Part 4

Day 4, Part 5

Day 4, Part 6
Day 4, Part 6 (Continued)

Day 4, Part 7

Day 4, Part 8
Day 4, Part 8 (Continued)
Day 4, Part 8 (Continued)

Day 5, Part 1
Day 5, Part 2

Update on April trip (bottom of post)

Day 5, Part 3
Day 5, Part 3 (Continued)

Day 5, Part 4
Day 5, Part 4 (Continued)

Day 5, Part 5
Day 5, Part 5 (Continued)

Day 5, Part 6

Weekend

All Good Things Must Come to an End
All Good Things Must Come to an End (Continued)

Change in April Plans

Wrap Up

Business Trip to Florida with Disney thrown in

Arrival Day

Take me to the Zoo

Take Me to the Zoo, Part 2

Can we please keep business short?

We've Arrived

Will we love Yachtsman again?

Boardwalk stroll

A favorite breakfast

Flower & Garden here we come

Flower & Garden here we come (continued)

Look at the Topiaries

Let's go...there's so much more to see

I'm hungry...let's go to Norway

The Lady is a Tramp?

While in France...

Hey, it's Mike Wazowski

Hey, its' Mike Wazowski (Continued)

On to Daytona

Daytona is a Bust

Marathon anyone?

I'm here!!!

So excited to read all about this trip, since your posts on FB certainly made it sound magical :goodvibes

:woohoo: Thanks for starting this at a time when I am still up! :rotfl2:

It looks like I even made page 1! Now going back to read. :goodvibes

I'm here Ms. Kat. :goodvibes And on the first page no less!! :cool1:

Thank you for starting this today, Ms. Kat. I think a lot of people could use something magical to think about, something to bring a little joy into our day today.

Hi Kathy! :wave2:

I'm in! Thanks for the heads-up. Someday I want to surprise my wife and get down to see Disney at Christmas-time too.

I'm here! And oh, I had to laugh at the reveal video. A few of Mark's words really reminding of my Chi-town days. :lmao:

I am here! Can't wait to hear all about the reveal... Loved the video!

D~

Subbing now, reading next Kathy!! Looking forward to the whole story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter