• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

4th of July

mousestruck

DIS Veteran
So what happens when you try to save money by getting annual passes for two trips in 12 months? You wind up booking a third trip!

Just decided to slip in a mother-daughter weekend over the 4th of July. We have visited that time of year twice, but for longer trips that allowed us to avoid the parks on the holiday. This trip is short so we’re braving the crowds! We’re thinking about going to DHS and/or AK, figuring most people will be at MK and Epcot. I know we’ll miss spectacular fireworks, but I think we’ll enjoy lighter crowds more. Anyone visit those parks on July 4th? If so, please share your experience!

Never again, sorry prob not what you wanted to hear. But honestly, not worth it for a repeat performance.
Pixie dust ur way!

So what happens when you try to save money by getting annual passes for two trips in 12 months? You wind up booking a third trip!

Just decided to slip in a mother-daughter weekend over the 4th of July. We have visited that time of year twice, but for longer trips that allowed us to avoid the parks on the holiday. This trip is short so we’re braving the crowds! We’re thinking about going to DHS and/or AK, figuring most people will be at MK and Epcot. I know we’ll miss spectacular fireworks, but I think we’ll enjoy lighter crowds more. Anyone visit those parks on July 4th? If so, please share your experience!
We are AP holders and decided to book a trip to WDW for the 4th when airfare dropped for that weekend a couple of years ago. We went to AK on July 3rd, then watched the fireworks from the Grand Floridian that evening. It was a great show and easy to avoid the crowds on the 3rd of July. Then we went to DHS on July 4th and went to Epcot for the fireworks that evening. Epcot was crowded but since we only slipped in the back entrance for the fireworks, it wasn't too bad. We stayed at the BC, which made it easy. While AK and DHS weren't empty, they weren't too bad. Avoiding MK and Epcot during the day worked well for us. :)

We are AP holders and decided to book a trip to WDW for the 4th when airfare dropped for that weekend a couple of years ago. We went to AK on July 3rd, then watched the fireworks from the Grand Floridian that evening. It was a great show and easy to avoid the crowds on the 3rd of July. Then we went to DHS on July 4th and went to Epcot for the fireworks that evening. Epcot was crowded but since we only slipped in the back entrance for the fireworks, it wasn't too bad. We stayed at the BC, which made it easy. While AK and DHS weren't empty, they weren't too bad. Avoiding MK and Epcot during the day worked well for us. :)
Thank you! I’m expecting crowded — just seeking a little less crowded by avoiding the parks with best fireworks. My original plan was exactly what you describe - spending morning at DHS and sneaking in through International Gateway for Epcot FW. But we’ll be at POP on the 4th, so the bus back from Epcot is a little terrifying! We could walk to an Epcot area resort and Uber back - or just see fireworks at DHS. The display won’t be as special as MK or Epcot - but still much better than the ones we’d see at home!

Never again, sorry prob not what you wanted to hear. But honestly, not worth it for a repeat performance.
Pixie dust ur way!
Thanks! I know what we’re getting into. But we are DVC and AP owners, so not a big deal if we skip the popular attractions or abandon plans and go back to resort. And my daughter is 18 - so no tears if we do that! Do you mind sharing which resort you were at on the 4th? I know MK will be insane, but wondering if others are equally so.

I think all resorts are busy. My one stay over the 4th was at POFQ. It was crowded, but the buses seemed to come very often.

We are doing a July 2-10 trip this year. July 2-5 at the Dolphin, the rest at CSR. Epcot is a good choice for the 4th, it is so large that it can handle a massive number of guests without you ending up feeling like a sardine.

Epcot is the best park for an actual holiday, in my opinion. Even on Thanksgiving Day we had plenty of walking space and lines weren't terrible.

We will be at MK on the 4th. Yep we are crazy and we can't wait! Bucket list!

We love going over the 4th! We always go to HS. Rope drop and then back to the resort for activities during the afternoon. Dinner at Epcot and then Illuminations. We’ve always stayed at BC (this year we’ll be at BWV) so we just walk out the back to our resort afterwards. We go to MK on the 3rd to see the 4th of July show.

Even if we weren’t at an Epcot resort I would still brave the crowds for that fireworks show, it is spectacular!

We could walk to an Epcot area resort and Uber back - or just see fireworks at DHS. The display won’t be as special as MK or Epcot - but still much better than the ones we’d see at home!

Hollywood does not have a fireworks show. Fantasmic has a tiny bit of pyro, as does the SW projection show on the Chinese Theater. MK does a completely different fireworks show on July 3 and 4, with lots of perimeter fireworks. Epcot has a special fireworks tag after reflections for July 4 (and used to for Christmas- who knows what they’ll do this year with a new show). However, you could probably see most of Epcots fireworks from the HS parking lot or even somewhere between the two parks on the hotel paths with a clear view of Epcot.

Hollywood does not have a fireworks show. Fantasmic has a tiny bit of pyro, as does the SW projection show on the Chinese Theater. MK does a completely different fireworks show on July 3 and 4, with lots of perimeter fireworks. Epcot has a special fireworks tag after reflections for July 4 (and used to for Christmas- who knows what they’ll do this year with a new show). However, you could probably see most of Epcots fireworks from the HS parking lot or even somewhere between the two parks on the hotel paths with a clear view of Epcot.
Hmm... doesn’t DHS have the Star Wars fireworks now?

Hmm... doesn’t DHS have the Star Wars fireworks now?
They do have the SWaGS show and even though Disney refers to it as a fireworks extravaganza, it's really not. It's a good show, some say that it's a great show, but it comes up short on being a conventional fireworks show.

They do have the SWaGS show and even though Disney refers to it as a fireworks extravaganza, it's really not. It's a good show, some say that it's a great show, but it comes up short on being a conventional fireworks show.

Going by that standard, the Magic Kingdom doesn't have a fireworks show.

The SWAGS doesn’t have much more pyro than Fantasmic does. It is a projection show with lasers and a few tiny fireworks. It used to have a little bit more pyro than it does now, but construction elminated some of it. It was never a fireworks show though; the fireworks in SWAGS have always served to accent something being projected at that moment. I miss the SW fireworks show they did before SWAGS came along...best display I’ve ever seen.

Fantasy in the Sky is primarily a fireworks show that also has projections. Fireworks go off nearly the whole length of the show.

Same! We have 7 trips booked. :crazy:

Just decided to slip in a mother-daughter weekend over the 4th of July. We have visited that time of year twice, but for longer trips that allowed us to avoid the parks on the holiday. This trip is short so we’re braving the crowds! We’re thinking about going to DHS and/or AK, figuring most people will be at MK and Epcot. I know we’ll miss spectacular fireworks, but I think we’ll enjoy lighter crowds more. Anyone visit those parks on July 4th? If so, please share your experience![/QUOTE]
We haven't been before on the 4th but I have heard it is not nearly as busy as it used to be. Summer, in general, is on the downtrend, so I'm not really worried. We are doing the 4th - 7th. We are absolutely doing MK on the 4th as that's really the reason for the trip. We watched the fireworks live streamed last year and since we knew we would have APs, we said we are watching them live in person in 2019. We don't expect to get much done other than our 3 FPs and the dessert party but we are hoping for the best. We are doing AK/Epcot on Friday and HS/MK on Saturday, then MK on Sun morning before leaving if we feel like it.

I'm really glad I have the dessert party booked!
Me too! When I first looked to book, it was sold out but then spots opened!

Going by that standard, the Magic Kingdom doesn't have a fireworks show.
What standard? The amount of high fireworks in both shows is not comparable. It's nonexistent in the SWaGS show.
I miss the SW fireworks show they did before SWAGS came along...best display I’ve ever seen.
Agreed, I was there two or three nights a week during it's entire run and was always blown away. Normally I'd be facing in the opposite direction and I'd make a point of turning around just to watch the expressions on Guests faces during the finale, especially the kids.

Same! We have 7 trips booked. :crazy:

We haven't been before on the 4th but I have heard it is not nearly as busy as it used to be. Summer, in general, is on the downtrend, so I'm not really worried. We are doing the 4th - 7th. We are absolutely doing MK on the 4th as that's really the reason for the trip. We watched the fireworks live streamed last year and since we knew we would have APs, we said we are watching them live in person in 2019. We don't expect to get much done other than our 3 FPs and the dessert party but we are hoping for the best. We are doing AK/Epcot on Friday and HS/MK on Saturday, then MK on Sun morning before leaving if we feel like it.

Awesome! We are there the exact same dates. I just booked, so too late for us to do a dessert party. We have seen the MK 4th of July fireworks from Poly and they are truly amazing. They'll be even more spectacular in the park. You will be blown away!!! I am second-guessing our decision to skip both MK and Epcot on the 4th, so I may change my mind! Disney is such a wonderful place to celebrate America!

Awesome! We are there the exact same dates. I just booked, so too late for us to do a dessert party. We have seen the MK 4th of July fireworks from Poly and they are truly amazing. They'll be even more spectacular in the park. You will be blown away!!! I am second-guessing our decision to skip both MK and Epcot on the 4th, so I may change my mind! Disney is such a wonderful place to celebrate America!
I'm sure you will have fun regardless! As far as the dessert party, it was booked up when I first started looking but then I got lucky and found availability so just keep watching for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter