• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

$350 for AKL in Sept? Whaaat?

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
I've never seen rates so high! I want to take a gal friend down for four nights sometime in Sept, late Aug, early october. Flexible as I can be.

But I can't seem to find a decent price on AKL. Using ebates and orbitz coupons, using Annual pass discounts, anything...can't seem to find a room cheaper than 350 with a savannah view. I've seriously never seen the prices this high this time of year.

What's going on?

I have used pin codes, free dining offers....etc...through the years. I have, with few exceptions, always traveled in September mostly because those deals were to hard to pass up. But since our last trip in September 2015, I have come to the realization that I think I am done with Disney. I just recently received my 2nd 30% off pin code for Deluxe resorts and the availability and pricing is not even remotely enticing. I have always loved Disney, but their pricing is ridiculously expensive. And gone are the days of a low crowds visit. I found it quite crowded last year! While I have been excited and blessed to travel to Disney through the years with and without children, I find it sad and a little disgusting that some families can't even dream about a vacation there with the prices continuing to climb. In 2016, I will not be returning with or without pin codes.

My guess is this year is an experiment to see how high they can keep the prices and yet, not see the crowds diminish.

I mean, why lower the prices if they. just. keep. coming.

We have gone many times during 'low crowd' times and always gotten a sweet deal. But...Disney is a public company working for the stock holders, not the customers. It will be especially interesting to see how fast folks will be snapping their 'purses' shut when the new health insurance premiums are released.

How much is it usually? Maybe I've been brainwashed, but that doesn't seem like it's an insane price to me.

What happened was a few weeks back, CheapTickets/Orbitz etc. made an adjustment to their Disney hotels pricing. You couldn't book a Disney hotel for a few days. When they came back online, their pricing in September no longer included the current Disney promotion in the Fall. As a result, we're not getting the Cheaptickets Rate minus the Disney Promotion minus the Cheaptickets Promo Discount....just rack rate (or close to it) minus the Cheaptickets/Orbitz promo. Strangely, there were a few dates that still had the previous pricing (which I grabbed) but I haven't seen them since. Also, on June 1, 2016, Universal Hotels were completely removed from eligibility for the Cheaptickets/Orbitz promotion codes. This may be an outcome of Expedia buying Cheaptickets/Orbitz?

Did you try DVCrequest.com? Occasionally they have short-stay availability on short-notice for much cheaper than rack rates. I confess it has been two years since I used them, and don't know current prices, but they were great.

What happened was a few weeks back, CheapTickets/Orbitz etc. made an adjustment to their Disney hotels pricing. You couldn't book a Disney hotel for a few days. When they came back online, their pricing in September no longer included the current Disney promotion in the Fall. As a result, we're not getting the Cheaptickets Rate minus the Disney Promotion minus the Cheaptickets Promo Discount....just rack rate (or close to it) minus the Cheaptickets/Orbitz promo. Strangely, there were a few dates that still had the previous pricing (which I grabbed) but I haven't seen them since. Also, on June 1, 2016, Universal Hotels were completely removed from eligibility for the Cheaptickets/Orbitz promotion codes. This may be an outcome of Expedia buying Cheaptickets/Orbitz?
Ok, I am confused. Will Orbitz, Cheap Tickets no longer offer the same discounts that Disney does when they release a promo?

If this is the case, I think they will see a drastic drop in bookings for Disney resorts through their sites.

My guess is this year is an experiment to see how high they can keep the prices and yet, not see the crowds diminish.

I mean, why lower the prices if they. just. keep. coming.

We have gone many times during 'low crowd' times and always gotten a sweet deal. But...Disney is a public company working for the stock holders, not the customers. It will be especially interesting to see how fast folks will be snapping their 'purses' shut when the new health insurance premiums are released.
Health insurance premiums being released??????

Yes, unfortunately word is, they are increasing tremendously. The speculations was " with the culmination of market shifts and rising health care costs will force stark increases in health insurance rates in the coming year." They are talking 2017. Prepare now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter