• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3 trips in 40 days: LET'S EAT! (tandem reviews): FLYING FISH CAFE! [updated 7/3/13]

Really, there are some "fake" things on the safari? ;) Do tell!

I was excited to read your Sanaa review as DD and I will be there in August for the first time. I still don't know what to order. :)

The ostrich eggs, the huge boba tree, and the termite mounds aren't real. That is all I know of though!

Love the pics of the parade, Emme is just too cute!!! I have always wanted to try Sanaa but I don't think DH would enjoy it. I might have to go by myself one day LOL.

Hi guys! I've been loving your food reviews and just had to comment on the latest ones at Sanaa since that's actually my favorite restaurant.

Rachel, when I saw the picture of your shrimp in green curry sauce, I immediately showed it to my husband and said, "We never got it when it looked like that." That was before I read what you said about it, and I completely understand why you think it was too custardy! It looked super thick. It isn't spicy at all though since I can eat it without issues when I'm supposed to stay away from extreme spices due to acid reflex and such. Wish you had a better entree! It has always been our favorite and now we're sad that it's off the menu.

Patty, your spicy peas, chickpeas and potatoes entree looks delicious! I wonder if there's a way to mix something from the slow cooked menu with the vegetarian menu because I would love to try that!

Hi guys! I've been loving your food reviews and just had to comment on the latest ones at Sanaa since that's actually my favorite restaurant.

Rachel, when I saw the picture of your shrimp in green curry sauce, I immediately showed it to my husband and said, "We never got it when it looked like that." That was before I read what you said about it, and I completely understand why you think it was too custardy! It looked super thick. It isn't spicy at all though since I can eat it without issues when I'm supposed to stay away from extreme spices due to acid reflex and such. Wish you had a better entree! It has always been our favorite and now we're sad that it's off the menu.

Patty, your spicy peas, chickpeas and potatoes entree looks delicious! I wonder if there's a way to mix something from the slow cooked menu with the vegetarian menu because I would love to try that!

Hey!! :) The green curry sauce was very thick! I didn't care for it all but loved the spicy durban chicken! YUM! I crave that! I would like to go back again sometime.

After the pool we got ready for dinner because we were eating at Flying Fish!

I didn't really want to deal with disney transportation so I decided we were going to cab it!

I had to call about 20 minutes before and I asked for a cab with a carseat in it.

After we got ready we made our way to the front. We let POR know we were waiting for a cab with a carseat and then they called this van over that was waiting for us.

The original carseat that was in there didn't work so luckily he had just a seat in the back.

He took us to the Boardwalk; it was about 15 dollars. It is so nice not to rely on disney transportation when you are going resort to resort. I still will put up with it in order to not have to rent a car.

It was kind of confusing to get to the ground level of the boardwalk but we made it. Such a pretty hotel!

We finally found it!

I checked in and the check in person was really nice. I think he was nice as in flirting with us though. LOL. He asked us how long Patty and I have known each other and we were like 4 months! Haha, that was funny. He thought we knew each other for a long time.

The boardwalk area is gorgeous too with the reflections off the water.

First thoughts of the restaurant was that it was GORGEOUS!!! Easily the prettiest restaurant on property.

Our server was awesome!! She was soo enthusiastic and nice. I can't remember her name though.

There is two areas of a bar where you can sit and have dinner/drinks too.

The bread and butter wasn't anything special. I think it had olives in it, which I wasn't a fan of (patty do you remember what was in it??)

I ordered the pinot grigio wine flight.

I know that I liked the one on the right the best. It was very light and good. The one on the middle was so bitter and dry!

For my appetizer I ordered the tomato/mozz salad.

Fresh Mozzarella di Bufala - Florida Yellow Beefsteak, Ugli-ripe and tiny grape Tomatoes, aged Balsamico, Exotic Peppercorns, Petite Basil, and Sicilian Olio Verde $15.00

OMG WOW! This is one of the best things I have ever had in my life!!! The tomatoes were incredible, especially the red beefsteak tomatoes. They were like melt in your mouth delicious and so buttery,especially paired with the olive oil. The fresh mozzarella was heavenly as well paired with the balsamic. It was heavenly! I dream about this salad. It is ridiculous to spend $15 on an appetizer but it was worth it.

I ordered the pairing with the char grilled steak and the potato wrapped snapper.

Signature Flying Fish Cafe Entree Duo:
Char-crusted Angus NY Strip Steak and Potato-wrapped Red Snapper $47.00

Individual descriptions:

Idaho Potato-wrapped Red Snapper- over a rich Leek Fondue with a Veal Glace de Viande, Red Wine-Cassis Butter reduction

"Char-crusted Angus New York Strip Steak" - Fingerling Potatoes, Hericot Vert, young carrots, and bermuda onions with Classic Sauce Foyot

The steak was cooked perfectly but I am not a fan of char grill I have come to realize, and this was heavily charred. The potato wrapped snapper was very good but I wasn't a fan of those leeks. Tasted good but I didn't like the texture. The snapper was so juicy and that potato added a really nice crisp. The sauce was called foyot which is a bernaise. It went well with the steak. The green beans were excellent and so crispy but not too crispy.

We passed on dessert even though I really wanted the PB&J Creme Brulee. I figured I could get something at MK. Our bill was still ridiculous even with TIW. The most I have ever spent on dinner.

All in all we had a great meal here!! The ambiance, service, and appetizer was all amazing. My entree was very good but not amazing and didn't match my feelings for the appetizer.

I can't wait to go back to Flying Fish!!

I love your shots of FF's exteior and interior - the whole restaurant has such a whimsical design. :) As for the food, Flying Fish isn't one of my favorite signatures (even though I love seafood), but I agree that the tomato and mozzarella appetizer is a great dish! Caprese salads are wonderful, especially with fresh ingredients like FF uses. :goodvibes

Your FF photos have helped me reaffirm FF as one of our choices for September...the food looks amazing as does the atmosphere!!

updated 7/3/13

FLYING FISH part 1

IMG_3127-3_zpsef0496e2.jpg

we finally made our way to flying fish. i've never been to the boardwalk before & it was a really gorgeous area. the weather was really nice & the atmosphere was so relaxing.

IMG_3128-3_zps3ed832c7.jpg

IMG_3139-3_zps066b7c4d.jpg

after checking in, we waited about 10 minutes (i think) before we were seated. we parked the stroller & took a peek around the boardwalk. finally, it was time to eat!

IMG_4219-3_zpsc70e245b.jpg

the inside of flying fish was absolutely beautiful. despite being so beautiful, i was so surprised as to how casual everyone was. it was a laid back atmosphere which i really really liked. i always get worried whenever i take emme to a "fancy" place but she did really well. this is her third signature place!

IMG_3143-3_zps8b0a0422.jpg

IMG_3144-3_zpsca3329dc.jpg

i loved these little guys.

IMG_4254-3_zps0756a34c.jpg

and here is some flying fish knowledge:

IMG_4242-3_zps10585d28.jpg

we were seated in the main area. and true to disney style, there was so much STUFF on our tables. the three of us also had a lot of stuff so it was a wee bit cramped at our table.

our CM was one of the nicest i ever had at disney. she genuinely loved her job & was so warm & friendly. her attitude did not seem forced or fake. she was amazing!

here are some menu pictures:

IMG_4215-3_zps2bf08729.jpg

IMG_4216-3_zps8494b022.jpg

IMG_4218-3_zps4ea764d9.jpg

IMG_3145-3_zps2ebae75d.jpg

IMG_4225-3_zps1f62072a.jpg

our CM went over all the specials and made some suggestions as well.

i ordered my wine flight:

IMG_4279-3_zps6a3e6234.jpg

IMG_4231-3_zpse5973e93.jpg

IMG_3154-3_zps1eb6ec1d.jpg

i loooooved my flight. it had a little of everything as i had no idea what i wanted to drink. it was the perfect flight for me.

emme was in her own little world, enjoying her kindle fire hd.

IMG_3148-3_zpsad228904.jpg

and rachel was enjoying her wine:

IMG_4283-3_zpsdd715774.jpg

here is the picture of the bread. i called the bread filler. i had a bite but wanted to make room for the real food.

IMG_4280-3_zps22c9bf94.jpg

i finally decided on my appetizer and our CM brought appropriate eating utensils.

IMG_3153-3_zps0392b4ba.jpg

Flying Fish part 2

i was really hell bent on getting the cheese platter but as the CM was describing some dishes, i decided on this bad boy.

IMG_3161-3_zpscfd38a47.jpg

Yellowfin Tuna Tartare and Crispy Tempura Tuna-Vegetable Sushi Roll - Hijiki and Wakame Seaweed, Yuzu Tobiko, Wasabi Foam, with Sweet-and-Spicy Sauce $18.00

IMG_4239-3_zps33f72983.jpg

IMG_4277-3_zps6841084b.jpg

IMG_3165-3_zps42f57622.jpg

this appetizer was absolutely MASSIVE. it could have easily been an entree. the tuna was soooooo fresh. the roll itself was so pretty to look at it. i almost didn't want to eat it....almost.

it was only 3 pieces but the roll was massive. there was a lot of ingredients on the roll. very interesting texture & no bite was the same. i absolutely loved it. i had no regrets.

for dinner, emme chose:

IMG_4245-3_zps949280de.jpg

to which she also used these:

IMG_4244-3_zps0cddfbed.jpg

i am a sucker for scallops. i love me some scallops. nothing beats a perfectly seared scallop. i still dream of the scallops at california grill so i was really excited to try the scallops at flying fish.

IMG_3170-3_zps03d5e379.jpg

Oak-grilled Maine Diver Scallops - Mediterranean vegetable, basil, pecorino romano and mascarpone-laced risotto di carnarolli $35.00

IMG_3176-3_zps4d125bb6.jpg

IMG_3179-3_zps3b82cf08.jpg

IMG_4275-3_zpsa89b63e2.jpg

IMG_4248-3_zps20804829.jpg

the scallops were buttery and moist. they were perfectly cooked. however, i think because it was oak grilled, the sear wasn't as crispy as i would like but nonetheless, they were scrumptious.

the pea risotto was also epic. i liked it better than the risotto that was paired with the scallops at california grill. the risotto was also beautiful to look at.

sprinkled on top was bacon. yes, bacon (or whatever fancy term they want to call it). but it was totally bacon.

the ingredients were definitely fresh and the entree itself was skillfully cooked and put together. it was worth the $35.00 price tag.

i was in absolute heaven with my dinner. i ate everything despite being so full.

IMG_4229-3_zpse110805c.jpg

our CM took this picture of us. check out our clutter!!

here is the receipt. the TIW totally came in handy.

IMG_4255-3_zps0244df80.jpg

overall, it was an expensive meal but the food was high quality and worth every penny. there was mounds of yellowfin tuna on top of my roll! there was nothing puny or skimpy with the portions of my appetizer and entree. i think two people could have happily shared my meal & then had room for dessert. me, being the total piggy that i am, finished my appetizer & entree but had no room for dessert. i left flying fish waddling.....completely satisfied but i was waddling.

side note: if you are looking for a quiet place to eat, then flying fish is not for you. it was loud in that place. but i think it was part of the charming atmosphere. it's a family friendly place but with really delicious food. i would love to go back there soon but i just won't have enough time with my next two trips.

Flying Fish is not a place I've ever been very interested in trying, but it looks beautiful from the photos! I think it might be on my radar now.

Hi ladies

Just caught up with your Sanaa and Flying Fish reviews

Everything looks delicious - especially the veggie dishes at Sanaa :)

Great photos as always!

Glad to read that y'all enjoyed FF! It has become our arrival night, traditional first meal.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter