3 "Off Day" Experiences that are a must do

Mike23802

Earning My Ears
Disney is a magical place inside the parks. But there is so much to do outside around the resorts that every trip, I always pick one "off-day" to enjoy all of Disney World outside the parks. Here are some of my favorites.

1. Renting a boat on the Seven Seas Lagoon/ Bay Lake. There are a few options for all groups and ages. You can rent a Sea Racer; small 2 person boat about the size of a jet ski. I describe it as what a go kart is to a car, this is to a regular boat. Easy to maneuver. It is best for one adult and one kid. 2 adults can fit but you'll be squeezed. The other options are a 20 foot or so Boston whaler or pontoon boat. These are for around 3-6 people and 5-8 people respectively. You might be able to fit more but it could be crowded. Perfect for a family of 4 to cruise the lagoon at their leisure. It gives amazing views of the Polynesian, Grand Floridan, Contemporary and MK. Cruise through the water way over to Bay Lake and see Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness and Discovery Island. Rented at half our increments, they are surprisingly inexpensive (around $40 for the whaler for half hour) Boats are available at all the resorts listed above at their marinas, close to their transportation boat docks.

2. Enjoy the sights from above for FREE. Go to the top of Bay Lake Tower observation deck to see all of WDW from above. You can see down into MK and its resorts, Spaceship Earth, Swan/Dolphin, Tower or Terror, and Everest off in the distance. Looking across Bay Lake you'll even see the Orlando Eye (ferris wheel) and various tall Orlando/Universal area hotels. Day or night it is an amazing view. But the best is at night for Wishes. In my opinion, Wishes is the best nighttime spectacular of all the Disney parks. But you don't have to be in MK to experience it. At the top of Bay Lake Tower, you'll see the castle, fireworks and the music is piped in to the speakers up there. You'll feel like you're right on main street but without the crowds. Very few people know about this so you might be the only ones up there! Perfect for an off day or a day spent at a park that closed earlier. Just zip right over and enjoy the fireworks crowd free.

3. Resort hopping. What makes every WDW resort unique is theming, and their attention to detail in that theming is top notch, especially at the deluxe resorts. Hop on the monorail and you can quickly bounce from Polynesian to Grand Floridian to the Contemporary to stroll around their amazing lobbies and beautifully landscaped grounds. Even just riding the monorail around is fun. Take the Epcot monorail and a short bus ride to the Boardwalk and walk to the Yacht and Beach Club and Swan/Dolphin resorts. Resort hopping also gives the option to eat lunch or dinner at any of the resorts elegant restaurants. During Christmas time, some of the deluxe hotels have beautiful Christmas displays that are a must-see.

What is your favorite off day thing to do?

Surrey bike ride around the Board Walk area, pool time, Raglan Road for dinner.

Bill From PA

Horse back riding or the winter sleigh ride at ft wilderness is great (POR/POFQ being a great second option for a similar but different view horse carriage ride).

Helicopter tours, very close by, can be as low cost as $30 a person depending on how long and what you want to fly over. While most of disney property is a no fly zone, it's not all a no fly zone and the other theme parks and central florida are not no fly zones. You can even see illuminations from one. (ever notice those helicopters slightly in the distance when at AK, epcot or HS?) For those wondering about no fly zones, you know that scene in the new soarin at the end? the camera goes right to the edge of the no fly zone.

checking out what is going on at swan and dolphin, they do a lot of their own events and many of them are magnitudes better than something disney does right next door. some of the best if not the best food which is a great change for longer trips as it's not under the disney food umbrella.

going to the theme park. (I know your thinking, this is the what to do on down day). Have you ever just gone into one of the parks just to be there? sit around doing nothing? maybe get coffee and watch everyone else running by.. eat at the couple table services for lunch and dinner.. just stroll around checking out the place, stay and watch the street performers you just casually stop by normally if you even have stopped before. when you already 5+ days of tickets, it's just $12+tax each to go in another day). Did you even know there is a marching band that performs in teh afternoons?

Check out the neighborhood. lots of great little gems surrounding property. Same as resort hopping, stop into bonnet creek and take a look at what you get for a fraction of the cost, try out their places to eat. those hotels are closer than many disney hotels to many of the parks..

catch a show at dr phillips performing arts center. Only a few miles when leaving property near ft wilderness and some amazing shows put on there. Even if your not a show person, maybe your a nerdy show person (tested which is the post mythbuster adam savage online mythbusterish network is on tour there in march). actually broadway shows in nyc come down about every 4-5 weeks for 1 week of performanaces. and that's just scratching the amazing list of acts that perform there. (and one of the theaters was recently built by disney and there is about to be another one opening).. just a great night out.

Get some golf lessons, not only the ones at disney property but there is ones nearby as well...

zip lining, air boat rides, zoos, the beach, aquariums, night life, amazing food, swimming with manatees, seeing a manatee in the wild.... so much to do just a short 20-30 minute trip away (closer than universal and about 10-15 uber/lyft each way for a couple to get there, slightly more for a larger car)

(yes I've been getting the most of moving here this year).. central florida is great if you just take a fraction of the time looking up what's there as you do for your disney trip.

Last edited:
We have a few "off" days planned and lots of pool time for my crazy kids.
Arrival day will be exploring the new stuff at DS, swimming at the resort, and a leisurely dinner and early bedtime before a couple of park days.
Another pool day and DS for food, if we want to, and then YeeHa Bob's show that evening.
Resort hopping and snacking at CR, Poly, GF, WL, then finishing up at FW for dinner, a wagon ride, and maybe Chip & Dale's campfire sing-a-long.
Our last full day will be swimming at SAB and checking out the other Epcot resorts with a nice dinner at The Blue Zoo to finish. We'll have a big, relaxing breakfast somewhere on departure day. We're looking forward to it!

Pool day.
Spa day...mani/pedi/ facial
Mini golf and lunch at a fun restaurant
Drinks and appetizer crawl...visiting all the resorts and trying a new cocktail and appetizer at one of the lounges.
Outlet shopping

On my list is high tea at the Grand Floridian

On our off day, we went to Disney Springs for an afternoon movie at the big AMC movie theatre, then strolled around Disney Spring and just ate, basically! Lots of fun new shops there. They also have a hot air balloon that you can go up in - it stays right there but I would imagine it is quite the view.

We visited the spa at Grand Floridian on our leaving day - it was a nice way to end the trip! We also enjoy catching a movie at Disney Springs when we have time, as well as pools at the resort. I hope to try a few of the suggestions here for our next trip - maybe parasailing or a helicopter tour?!

Last edited:

We went parasailing over bay lake from the contemporary. It was extraordinary. Views were amazing..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter