3 Families, 2 Grandparents, and a Niece: A Disney World Christmas Vacation 2010

Quackers4Disney

Earning My Ears
3 Families, 2 Grandparents, and a Niece: A Disney World Christmas Vacation 2010

So how many are going on our little vacation? I knew you would ask...17 people total. Yep, I know what you are thinking...group discount, but in all honesty it is a large family that has a great time traveling together.

To summarize our vacation in numbers: 10 days of vacation, 2 grandparents, 6 parents, 9 Children ages 21-9, 17 airline tickets on 2 different flights, 17 6-day park tickets, a 15 passenger van, 3 condos, and 4 hotel rooms on Disney property. I know I’m leaving something out...oh yeah...5 dining reservations.

Welcome to our Pre-trip report. I hope this post might help those with a large family that may want to travel to Disney World during the holiday. I will highlight little tricks we have learned along the way and the funny things that have happened, as well.

Trip planning began in the summer 2009 after our first Disney trip. After arriving home the first emails and Facebook discussions were, “Can we do this for Christmas?” and “We want to fly next time!”. The summer trip was amazing, 15 people in 3 vans from Oklahoma to Florida. We stopped for pictures in every state, hundreds of potty breaks and dipped our toes in the Gulf and the Atlantic. Four children lost at Magic Kingdom and many new family stories, like celebrating my brother-in-love’s birthday with Cinderella, Belle, Snow White, Mary Poppins and Aurora (Sleeping Beauty). :rolleyes1

For most of our family this was our first trip to Disney. We read the books, pre-planned, but there was still a large learning curve. So sit back and enjoy our funny adventures and advice.

Pre-Planning

When can you go?.... When will you go! Where will we stay?

With a large amount of people traveling together, “When” is the most important step. This determines plane ticket fare, how many days of park tickets, etc. Try to begin this step at least 12 months in advance. If you wait, expect to increase your pre-planning effort 10% per month. Also, it is the hardest thing to nail down. We had several family conference calls, emails and meetings, just to narrow things down. I’ve tried to capture the best of our family negotiations and waffling, accented by my mother-in-love’s requests.

Plan 1: Condo space = Vacation dates

We planned on finding condo space with my mother-in-love’s timeshare and base the vacation around that. Bonnet Creek had 3 2-bedroom condos available from the 17th of December thru the 23rd. The points fit our budget available through Wyndham and the resort is practically on Disney Property. We booked them and then planned for everyone to arrive by December 18th and have one day for each park. Wow this step was so easy. Everyone agreed. Everyone checked with work schedules. This trip was going to be a breeze, I’m so glad we started early. Then the email came, “Does anyone need to be anywhere for Christmas? Since we are all together anyway, why don’t we stay?”

Plan 2: Staying for Christmas

Wow, staying for Christmas. As a collective group we mulled it over agreed that mother-in-love knows best and started looking for a place to stay. Were the condos available to extend the trip and was it in our points budget? Nope. Should we try to stay at a hotel and how many rooms would we need? Then the email came, “Why don’t we stay on Disney property?”

Plan 2.1: Staying for Christmas on Disney Property

My sister-in-in love “Di” made a wonderful spreadsheet (and gets an MVP award) showing room rates around the resorts and we discussed what level of parks we could afford. A few questions you may need to investigate with a large group are:

How many people per room? What are the sizes of the beds? What extras would you like to have on the property? Does the property have events that can accommodate a large party? Does anyone in your party have special needs such as quick access to buses and elevators if they cannot walk for long periods of time? Counter service available for quick meals? Explore all of your needs first. It will help you narrow down your resorts to a handful quickly.

In the end we based our decision on the Value of the resort and not the type. The Port Orleans is listed as a moderate resort, but had a lot of extras going for it. It had boat access to Downtown Disney. It had shorter bus lines. The Riverside rooms allowed for 5 people per room. The resort has inexpensive things for kids of all ages like cane pole fishing and s’mores sing-along campfire. So we booked 4 nights and prayed for discount codes. We will get to discount codes, website discount rumors and watching your mail in a future post...

Time off requests =Vacation Dates

Now that the vacation dates are semi-solid December 17th thru the 27th (Not checking your email too closely for a few weeks helps.). We can start to formally ask for time off. 2 members of the family had issues. One is a teacher and cannot leave on the morning of the 17th due to school and one member has no replacement.

NOTE: The majority always rules. Be prepared, as in our case, to collectively bully bosses or schedules to conform.

In the end, the teacher and her family will be flying at night and the other family member is still unreplaceable, but was able to get the time off. We were all looking forward to sending emails and confronting employers, but I guess we can do that pre-planning the next vacation. ;)

Next we will cover Airlines, Discounts and Disney park tickets...

Until next post...
Pamela

Here is Part Two: Airlines, WDW Discounts and Disney park tickets..Oh My!!

Enjoy!!!
Welcome again to our little saga...also known as:

Part 1: 3 Families, 2 Grandparents, and a Niece: A Disney World Christmas Vacation 2010

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2573968

These posts help address planning for a large family vacation to Walt Disney World Resort ~ Florida. Enjoy!

Background of the story: So here is a little insight into my world outside of Disney. (Be careful you could get lost in there!) I am a LOVING wife and mother to 3 children (Boy, Girl, Boy). I work for a University in our state and get paid to be a creative geek. Yep, I’m rocking the geek glasses and my husband loves them. My husband has an amazing mother (referred to as Mother-in-Love) that is just about game for anything. My mother-in-love comes up the ideas and we all work to achieve them. Along with the mother-in-love, my husband has 2 wonderful sisters and their assorted brood. In 2008, we suffered the loss of 2 family members that are dearly missed. It reminded us that family is very important and the time you have with them should never be wasted. This is how the first trip started! For the 2009 trip, we were 15 strong! We thought we had studied enough...were excited enough...and planned enough to take on Disney.

Here we are at our first park....First Picture:
Image012.jpg

Last Park....last picture:
Picture828.jpg

Yes, this can happen to you! I have compiled some planning tricks that may not prevent this outcome, but you will sure enjoy the ride!

This year we are adding my father and my niece into the mix. My father has not been to Disney since before I was hatched. Literally! My mother was in her last trimester and Dad took my older brother on a boy weekend. Can you believe that! P.S. I would give away the year, but since I am younger than most of the adults on the trip, I’ll keep that one to myself ;) According to my brother, it was my father dragging him around the park and not the other way around. I am so ready to show my Dad everything we loved on the first trip and for him to tell me everything that has changed. My niece has been to WDW, but only Magic Kingdom and Disney Studios. We are ready to show her what she was missing.

Now on with Part Two: Airlines, WDW Discounts and Disney park tickets..Oh My!!

Airlines are a tricky thing. You may know a friend who is a travel agent, but that may or may not give you the best deal. Expedia and Cheap Tickets never helped us either. The only thing that saved us loads on flights were the nimble fingers and blurry eyeballs willing to crawl around every airline’s website looking for the deals. Look for smaller airlines that may fly from cities that are in a 4 hour driving distance from your home. If it is a direct flight, you are basically driving your layover and saving money in the end. We found (Thanks to my sister-in-love “Di” and my MVP) that Allegiant Air flies directly from Springfield, MO to Orlando (MCO). Average ticket was $89 each way and if you have a last minute addition and the flight is not full they sometimes have tickets as cheap as $20. It pays to take the time to look directly at the airline websites and all airports within your driving area. In flights alone, we saved $1700.

WDW Discounts. From the previous post you know that our mother-in-love chose to stay on park property after our condo space was up. We decided to stay at the Port Orleans ~ Riverside because of the wonderful reviews and feedback provided by the folks on the DisBoards. (Thank you!)
After we booked the rooms, we started looking for discounts. Discounts can come to you in many ways.
• If you apply for a Disney Credit card or change to a Chase checking account with a Disney Debit you can begin receiving offers immediately.
• If you have signed up for the Disney.com website and ordered park maps they send you offers through the mail. Postcards arrive with offer codes. These codes are alphanumeric and are sometimes are on the address label.
• You can even call the Disney reservation line and they can look under your name and address to see if an offer is waiting for you.
In our case, Disney offered 25%-40% off the room rate from 12/21-12/24. By making a phone call we saved a $1000! So be persistent. Keep calling and checking your mailbox for post cards.

Also get a Grand gathering # (available for groups larger than 8). It does not cost a thing, but will allow you to link all of the rooms. So when your discount comes through only one family member can call and secure the savings for all.

Another WDW Discount you might consider is the Disney Photopass. With a large family it is really hard to take pictures because the one holding the camera is always missing. Even if you ask someone to take your picture, it is really hard to find a place in the crowd that everyone isn’t cutting through. The Photopass photographers were amazing. And the magic shots make it worth it:
Image267.jpg

We pre-ordered the photopass again. Normally the photopass DVD is $149.95 after the parks. If you order ahead of time it is $99.95. With a large family you can split the cost and the digital pictures once they arrive. Another fun thing is the digital editing you can do to the photos before ordering the CD’s. We added borders, cropped, stamped and had a great time. When you and the fam are done maligning each other, you use the pre-paid code and they send you the CD(s). In our case it was 3 CDs filled with pictures. No additional charges or fees. We could then post the pics, or print them at CVS.

Disney Tickets. Wow, who knew that little pieces of paper cause so many decisions? How many days for each park? Do we need to lock in a ticket price before they are raised in August? Do we want to park hop? Ask these questions to family members and your decision should be easy.

One piece of advice you need to know, if you are visiting parks with a group larger than 8..do not park hop. It is a waste of money. We purchased park hopper passes and used them once and ran to ride one ride before the park closed for the night.

Did this help you? I would love to hear your thoughts. We still need to cover my favorite planning sites and touring plans....ok and some other stuff too.

This is going to a big undertaking with that many going. Love the pictures especially the before and after at Disney. Can't wait for the next planing adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter