3,298 miles, 10 breweries, and 1 Mega Meet - a July '16 Trip Report *New 6/5/17 - Link to new TR!*

I'm glad you enjoyed the podcasr taping! Must've been cool to see yourself too.

Sounds like a great time at Jock's!

Wow, sorry you had to wait so long for a bus! I like the pics during your walk from the Contemp. to MK though!

Sounds like Judi and the kids had fun in your absence. Sorry you couldn't get on Splash!

Sounds like a really awesome time for the podcast thing, then grabbing some food and drinks at Jock's!! Definitely need to revisit this when I can drink again LOL. I really dislike Disney buses, so that's all i'll say on the matter, but glad you met up with the family for a short while haha. Looking forward to hearing about dinner!!

BTW random, but I loved the pic of Judi with the kids on IaSW - reminds me that in a couple years things will be SO much easier than right now ;)

HI Phil: I started reading your TR(s) a couple of weeks ago, and never commented. I'm not going to try and recap everything so far, but just wanted to say I'm really enjoying the TR. I do have to comment that I really love your family dynamics, you got a pretty good group. We will be traveling in march for the first time with our son who will be 18 months, and I just don't know what to expect. I admire how you guys can really go with the flow and I'm looking to pick up any pointers from your TR.

I have to ask, is there a beer you don't like? I've become such a snob to many beers. I'm not the type who thinks I'm too good for a beer (I enjoy Miller High Life and I'm form STL) I just know what I like and what I don't, so I won't even try any more hoppy beers. Well I'll taste them, but but then I'll just comment to who ever forced me to "just try it" Yup that's a mouthful of a pine tree! I'm uncertain about the sours, haven't tried to many. Give me a malty beer every day of the week, or a nice smooth pilsner.

Going through your older reports too and I'm enjoying those as well, once again...amazing kids.

Keep up the good work and see you on news round up.

How neat that y'all did a tribute video-- that sounds like a special day. And extra good that you'd gotten some bonus MK time in the day before--otherwise that one ride might have been dissapointing!

I was super glad that Bryan (Accident) reached out about putting something together ... we defintiely struggled with what exactly to do and it is a lot more challenging talking into a camaera like that than I thought it would be - makes me appreciate how comfortable the team is on camera, especially with like the Daily Fix

Yeah, i definitely would have been more anxious/upset if we didn't have that productive time the day before at MK! One of those "things happen for a reason" moments for me

Thanks for your photos of the Podcast! That was really cool to see it from your vantage point (as I watched it of course via youtube). I would have also been surveying the audience for "celebrities"!

I was hoping this thread would give a bit of a point of view to those that could not be at the actual tapings. Definitely hoped to see even more "celebrities" - but I guess that is the challenge with web based forums - you don't know all the faces to names!

I love the pictures from the taping - it's so cool that you decided to try to get pictures of the video we made! And I'm super jealous that you got to meet Mike and Jackie!

I didn't get a chance to stop at Jock Lindsey's last trip. It's really cool that the bartender had worked at the Adventurer's Club. I can't imagine how awkward trying to recover from that failed proposal must have been.

That crowd at MK does not look like fun. Sorry to hear that you didn't get to ride Splash Mountain, but at least you got to see your kids having fun in the play area - that counts for something, right?

It was definitely cool to run into other people that I have only chatted with online before and definitely glad I got to meet Jackie in person

I really liked Jock's - both times I was there it was pretty empty, but it was during the day - I assume it gets more crowded at night. very cool vibe to the place though

I did get on Splash later in the trip - so I wasn't too worried about it ... just felt like a lot of running around for the day without many attractions for me - but I knew the day would be a bit hectic with having to get to Disney Springs for the taping.

BTW - I do have a picture of you in the video - it is a bit dark and fuzzy so I didn't post it - but happy to send/post if you would like

That's cool that you were able to get pictures of the videos. The taping sounded like it was a lot of fun.

That proposal story was really awkward. I once worked with someone whose boyfriend planned a big public proposal at a baseball game with the cameras on them. She said "yes" at the time because she didn't want to embarrass him, but later told him no.

The Edison sounds like it's going to be awesome. Disney Springs is shaping up to be a really cool place to visit!

Yikes, those July crowds!

My grandkids love that play area near Splash Mountain. It's funny to think about how much you spend on tickets and whatnot and they have a blast in that little play area!

The taping was definitely a lot of fun - though it was also a bit weird in that the whole trip was arranged around this taping and then it ended and it was like "oh, ok - um, guess that's it!" .... not that it was a disappointment or anything - just there wasn't some big ending or anything

The Edison does sound really cool - I love that whole style. Some of Disney Springs does seem just like a high end shopping mall - but a lot of the restaurants and just the feel of the place walking around is very cool

I know! And Peter would be happy just riding the monorail the entire time as well. I actually think they could use more play areas (I wish the one they put up at EPCOT during the flower and garden festival they kept up year round)

Part 42: At Disney - Day 4: Disney Springs
More of the Podcast Taping - and DIS meets

Pete%20giving%20speech.gif

On the way out I did run into fellow DISer @MikeTaylor who also had be active on the prep thread for the show - so that was a nice bonus. I also made a point of tracking down @WebmasterJackie - and it was so nice to meet here and say hi and give her a hug - she's such a sweetheart!
08_Me%20and%20MikeTaylor.jpg
09_Me%20and%20Jackie.jpg

Coming up - I need to figure out what to do for lunch and then (slowly) make my way back to Magic Kingdom

That was a really good day, meeting folks and raising money for GKTW. My foot is still messed up, by the way. DW and I are wanting to book a trip or a cruise next year, but it's hard to stay positive and plan when the future is so uncertain.

I'm glad you enjoyed the podcasr taping! Must've been cool to see yourself too.

Sounds like a great time at Jock's!

Wow, sorry you had to wait so long for a bus! I like the pics during your walk from the Contemp. to MK though!

Sounds like Judi and the kids had fun in your absence. Sorry you couldn't get on Splash!

The taping was definitely fun - I am glad things worked out with the video!

The queue was empty when I got there so I assume I just missed a bus - but it was a long wait. made me super glad I decided against using Disney transportation to get to Disney springs for the taping!

the kids definitely had fun with the carousel and stuff - so glad they were able to enjoy their time. And I did get on Splash later so it worked out ok in the end

Sounds like a really awesome time for the podcast thing, then grabbing some food and drinks at Jock's!! Definitely need to revisit this when I can drink again LOL. I really dislike Disney buses, so that's all i'll say on the matter, but glad you met up with the family for a short while haha. Looking forward to hearing about dinner!!

BTW random, but I loved the pic of Judi with the kids on IaSW - reminds me that in a couple years things will be SO much easier than right now ;)

Jock's is definitely fun - but more fun when you can drink for sure!

I do have to say that my kids are a handful but it is getting easier and Olivia is able to help out some which helps. Will be really glad to be totally done with diapers and then eventually not needing a stroller, etc. ... but getting there!

HI Phil: I started reading your TR(s) a couple of weeks ago, and never commented. I'm not going to try and recap everything so far, but just wanted to say I'm really enjoying the TR. I do have to comment that I really love your family dynamics, you got a pretty good group. We will be traveling in march for the first time with our son who will be 18 months, and I just don't know what to expect. I admire how you guys can really go with the flow and I'm looking to pick up any pointers from your TR.

I have to ask, is there a beer you don't like? I've become such a snob to many beers. I'm not the type who thinks I'm too good for a beer (I enjoy Miller High Life and I'm form STL) I just know what I like and what I don't, so I won't even try any more hoppy beers. Well I'll taste them, but but then I'll just comment to who ever forced me to "just try it" Yup that's a mouthful of a pine tree! I'm uncertain about the sours, haven't tried to many. Give me a malty beer every day of the week, or a nice smooth pilsner.

Going through your older reports too and I'm enjoying those as well, once again...amazing kids.

Keep up the good work and see you on news round up.

:welcome: thanks so much for joining, and thank you for your kind words! If you have time - I don't think the link is still visible in my signature but I have a TR from when Peter was about 21 months (I think some of the images are having issues from where I was posting them from at the time) http://www.disboards.com/threads/oo...p-report-update-2-23-were-going-back.3182545/

So I have become a bit of a beer snob and I think Bud is just about my least favorite ... and I think just nowadays you can get much better beer just about anywhere and for not that much more so why still have that? I am like you and don't like super hoppy stuff - or at least, it needs to be balanced. I tend to like East coast IPAs better than West coast as the East coast ones are more balanced. Historically the East coast still imported their hops from Europe while the West coast grew their own (so it was cheaper so they just would overdo it with the hops)

Thanks again!

I could listen to him recite the phone book and be entertained

Agreed! I love listening to him on the podcasts!

gotta say, it was kinda neat to see myself on the screen like that.

I bet. It was fun to watch and recognize DISers!

I also ordered the calamari and it was honestly some of the best I have ever had

This is good to know. Alex isn't much of a drinker so convincing him to try it just for that would be a hard sell. However, if I tell him there's great calamari then he'll be more than willing to go.

waited, and waited ... definitely relying on Disney transportation to Disney Springs requires allotting some time

Disney Springs transportation is the worst! You can spend as much time traveling as you do in the actual area. You definitely have to pack your patience when using the buses there.

Such an adorable picture! I can't believe she was that little newborn you all had with you on that August trip. Time flies!

I got on 1 ride so far

That's a little bit of a bummer. However, kind of have to expect some days like that when you're in Disney during the summertime with young children and have non-park attraction things on your agenda. While not getting to go on many rides is hard, the silver lining is you got to see a live DIS Unplugged taping!

Agreed! I love listening to him on the podcasts!

I bet. It was fun to watch and recognize DISers!

This is good to know. Alex isn't much of a drinker so convincing him to try it just for that would be a hard sell. However, if I tell him there's great calamari then he'll be more than willing to go.

Disney Springs transportation is the worst! You can spend as much time traveling as you do in the actual area. You definitely have to pack your patience when using the buses there.

Such an adorable picture! I can't believe she was that little newborn you all had with you on that August trip. Time flies!

That's a little bit of a bummer. However, kind of have to expect some days like that when you're in Disney during the summertime with young children and have non-park attraction things on your agenda. While not getting to go on many rides is hard, the silver lining is you got to see a live DIS Unplugged taping!

Having the Connecting with Walt podcasts saved up was a big help for my long flight to Hong Kong and we also listened to some on the drive down to Florida so Judi got to hear some of them as well

Glad you enjoyed watching the show!

They do have some fun non-alcoholic drinks too and I've heard good things about some of the other food there too - and the place has a cool vibe, especially if you are into Indiana Jones or the Adventurer's Club

It really is cool and fun to watch all of our "DIS" Kids grow up in our trip reports!

I knew the day would definitely be a bit different and I really can't complain - I mean, getting to a podcast and having a great time at a bar and still getting on Big Thunder - that's kinda first world problems if I were to complain about it. Just made me appreciate even more that we got so much done the previous day!

Part 45: At Disney - Day 4: Contemporary
A meal that exceeds expectations

I last left off us having to head out of the Magic Kingdom after Judi and Olivia had ridden Splash Mountain as we had a dinner ADR to get to. It was a place that was new to us - though not for most DISers - Chef Mickey's!

01_sign.jpg

It is a long story in how we got this booked - but if you recall from earlier in the trip I mentioned that Judi's cousin was thinking of joining us for this day (one reason we picked doing the Magic Kingdom this day) - so looking for places that had openings for 9 people at dinner time this was one location that came up and it seemed like it would be fun and her cousin would get in meeting the Fab 5, etc and we hadn't been so we booked it. Well, then her cousin backed out but I had already mentally shifted to do this for dinner. Then on the DIS Unplugged podcast they mentioned hearing rumors that the cost of character meals was going to go way up soon (this was around that time there was a "bug" with the ADR system and character meals were showing up as 2 dining credits) - so I was thinking, well, now seems the time to do this if we were ever going to

We got there about 5 minutes before our 6:45 ADR and our buzer went off just a bit past our time, so not bad. Then we got the picture with the famous Mickey statue (you can see in Judi and Olivia's hair that it had been hot and they had been sweating):

02_Photo%20with%20statue.jpg

We were then led to our table which was in the back room past the buffet. It was nice to be a bit out of the main area as it was a bit less hectic - though part of me missed not being more in the atrium of the Contemporary area ... so pluses and minuses. Here was the view out from our table ... and then of Emma unrolling her napkin / silverware

03_View%20from%20table.jpg
04_Emma%20with%20silverware.jpg

I determined that I had enough to drink at Jock's so just had ice tea - Judi decided to get the Fireball Cocktail (she is a big fan of Rumchata) . She got a second so I think she liked it

06_Fireball%20cocktail%20menu.jpg
05_Fireball%20cocktail.jpg

We then went up to get some food as we had some time before characters would get to our table and we were in a good point in the path as we would see them getting to our area. First up is what the kids got (First Emma's, then Peter's, then Olivia's plates) which is all pretty similar - mac n cheese, garlic bread, the girls got pasta and corn, and Peter got broccoli (guess Emma got some broccoli too). They all ate pretty well - they were fans of the mac n cheese

09_Emmas%20plate.jpg
08_Peters%20Plate.jpg
07_Olivias%20plate.jpg

Then Judi got her plate with some chicken, the lobster mac n cheese (at the top) some mozzarella and tomato, a pirogi, and some sushi. I got the short ribs over pollenta (the bottom), some butter chicken over rice, some carved beef in the middle and some hot dog nuggets and mac n cheese. I got another plate where I tried the ribs (that were habanero mango flavored), some salad and the sushi (but I guess didn't get a picture)

10_Judis%20Plate.jpg
11_Phils%20plate.jpg

So the verdict? We thought it was all rather good! I had heard such bad things about the food so it is possible I had just set the bar low in my mind but I really enjoyed it (ok, the sushi wasn't so great). But the ribs were great (I liked them better than the ones at Hoop Dee Doo) and the short rib was good and I agree with the kids about the mac n cheese. Judi really liked her chicken. I also had heard the food was often cold and had been out for a while but we didn't experience that at all. Maybe we just got lucky but everything we tried was warm and seemed pretty fresh. Is it Victoria and Albert's? No, of course not - but for a hectic character buffet I thought it was more than acceptable

They then did the napkin twirling - Olivia was definitely the most into it!

12_Olivia%20twirling%20napkin.jpg

Then the characters started coming around - first up was Mickey! Emma wasn't quite so sure but the other two were very excited. Olivia was very into getting the signatures this trip and made sure she had our signing board at the ready. (You can see another family posing almost back to back with us as Donald came to their table at the same time Mickey was at ours)

Mickey%20at%20CM.gif
13_Family%20with%20Mickey.jpg

Then we got Donald - who was lots of fun and played around with the kids a bit (observing other tables as well he definitely seemed to be the one most playful that night). Then Goofy came by who was also fun

14_Donald%20with%20Emma.jpg
15_Goofy%20with%20family.jpg

Then Minnie came and the girls were very excited - while Judi still had to hold Emma she was in a much better mood. Mickey tried to come back again but Emma still wasn't into it

16_Minnie%20with%20Family.jpg
17_Mickey%20with%20Emma.jpg

Then it was dessert time! Definitely a lot of variety and bewteen Judi and I we tried a lot of them. The kids mostly had ice cream and Emma had a cupcake brought to her for her birthday - she may have made a little mes :rolleyes:
18_Desserts.jpg
20_Judis%20desserts.jpg
19_My%20desserts.jpg
21_Messy%20Emma.jpg

At this point we were ready to go (I mean, we did clean Emma up first) - but we still hadn't seen Pluto. We mentioned this to our server who chatted with her manager and then had us come down towards the exit and they brought Pluto over to us. The kids were super excited!

Pluto%20at%20CM.gif
22_Pluto%20with%20family.jpg

and with that our first visit to Chef Mickey's was complete. Overall we really enjoyed it. Not sure if it is a "must do" as it isn't cheap and I think there are some others we like better (looking at you Tusker House breakfast). But I think it is a great option and I can see us returning in a few trips (assuming that major price hike doesn't go into effect first)

Coming up - back to Magic Kingdom!

Last edited:
Part 46: At Disney - Day 4: Magic Kingdom
Into the mines!

After our dinner that exceeded expectations we were on the monorail to head back to the Magic Kingdom - Olivia was in a good mood

01_Olivia%20on%20Monorail.jpg

Once back in we went right up to catch a train to head back towards Fantasy Land to ensure we moved aroudn the crowds that had assembled for the night parade and fireworks on Main St. Even at nightt he kids love them some train

Traing%20at%20night.gif

02_Olivia%20on%20Train.jpg
03_Emma%20on%20train.jpg

We got at the Fantasy Land Station (guess, technically it is called the Storybook Circus Station) an noticed a minimal wait for the tea cups so we decided to give them a spin (and I am sure that is the first time that pun has been used on the DISboards ;) ). Judi rode with Peter and Olivia as they wanted to spin it and I rode with Emma who did not - but she still had a lot of fun!

04_Teacups.jpg
05_Family%20on%20teacups.jpg
06_Emma%20in%20teacup.jpg

Then we went to where we had our final Fast passes for the day (I had been able to move them to later earlier) - as we would go into the mines!

07_Mine%20Train%20sign.jpg

Bit of a story here as heading into this trip we were so excited for Peter to ride this as he loves trains and it is so smooth and just thought he would love it. Well, he was having none of it and I was stressing a bit as I I didn't want to push him into something he didn't want to do - but at the same time didn't want him to regret not doing it and then be upset later. Eventually we got it out of him that he was scarred/worried to ride it at night and he was willing to try it during the day. So we got rider swaps for him to be able to ride it the next time we were in MK.

So I then went with Olivia - and she was chosen! ... and then very excited to ride!

08_Olivia%20was%20chosen.jpg
09_Olivia%20about%20to%20ride.jpg

Unfortunately we missed scanning our magic bands at the right time before our image went away - or apparently we did, I thought I might have grabbed it but no luck - so no ride photo of us

But then Judi went with Olivia (who used Peter's Magic Band) and they got some great ride photos. I love how happy Judi looks in the first one and then love how Olivia has her tongue out in the second

10_Judi%20and%20Olivia%20on%20ride.jpg
11_Judi%20and%20Olivia%20on%20ride%202.jpg

and after that we headed out - the kids were tired and it was just a long day. A really good day full of the podcast taping for me, a first ride on Big Thunder for Pete, and our first trip to Chef Mickeys. But we had lots of fun to come!

TTFN

Great update! The kids are so cute in the "excited to meet Pluto" video. I love your gifs - that's unique to me on the boards. I also love that your kids are so into the train (even at night) - that means they are children of refined taste :laughing:. Good idea on the rider swap - never would have thought of the dark/night element adding to the trepidation but that totally makes sense. Glad Olivia got to double dip though! What a fun night and great memories for all of you.

The last time I was at Chef Mickey's I was 6 years old. It sounds like not much has changed! Glad you enjoyed it. I would agree I prefer Tusker House breakfast.

I am 18 and I love the train. I was really into trains when I was little though.

Glad you got the rider swap. I guess riding at night does make it a bit more "scary". I prefer it at night. I'd love to ride it during the fireworks to see what that is like.

In 2011 and 2012, I had no luck getting a Chef Mickey's adr. I was so excited to finally get one in 2013 and I think my expectations were too high. We have one for next month for one of my granddaughter's first visit, but also have another for Akershus at a similar time. She's getting more into the princesses, so Chef Mickey will probably be cancelled. The only way we do character meals is on the dining plan. Two credits for those will be a bit much.

I love ride photos! Glad you had a good day!

I'm so glad you had a great Chef Mickey's experience! Your welcome picture came out so nice and I love all the character pictures!

Nice being able to squeeze in some more MK fun before calling it a day!

Glad you enjoyed Chef Mickey's and it's nice to see a positive review. We've eaten there twice, although it's been quite a few years. Neither time was bad and the kids were young so enjoyed the characters; we just quickly found other character meals we preferred. Now they aren't really into the characters and if anyone asks me for a character meal suggestion I do usually say Tusker over CM, but we have friends who do CM every summer and love it. I guess the important thing, especially when it's your first time there, is that the kids enjoy it and the character experience is good, since that's what you're really paying for!

I feel like people either love or hate Chef Mickeys. While it's not my cup of tea (just too expensive for the quality served) I'm glad to see you enjoyed your meal. That drink Judi got looked tasty, and all the pictures of the kids were great. Even Emma not wanting to get too close. Her happiness over the cupcake was great.

Hey, a ride on 7Dwarves to end the evening. And the teacups. See, you ended up on more than just Thunder. (My first trip with a baby, I only rode 3 attractions a day, so I started judging a parenting trip to Disney as a success if 3 rides were accomplished.)
Olivia's reaction on 7DMT is awesome. She seemed to be having a blast.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed Chef Mickey's! I've definitely read mixed reviews, but the food looks decent, and I'm guessing that the characters are what make the meal truly special.

Looks like you guys had a fun night at MK. Olivia certainly looks like she was having fun on Mine Train. I'm glad you were able to get rider swaps so that Peter would get a chance to ride during the day!

I'm so excited to try Chef Mickey's for dinner! We did breakfast, but this is the 2nd report I've read tonight with dinner, and it looks great!

What a fun ending to your day! I love how thrilled the kids are to meet Pluto in that video-mine are now entering a "no character" phase and I miss that excitement. We also like to take the train as a way to avoid crowds-- fun AND efficient! Your evening on Mine Train looks like so much fun-- hope Peter gets to enjoy a ride in the daylight!

Great update! The kids are so cute in the "excited to meet Pluto" video. I love your gifs - that's unique to me on the boards. I also love that your kids are so into the train (even at night) - that means they are children of refined taste :laughing:. Good idea on the rider swap - never would have thought of the dark/night element adding to the trepidation but that totally makes sense. Glad Olivia got to double dip though! What a fun night and great memories for all of you.

Thank you - yeah, I love how excited they were. One thing I like about doing these trip reports is pulling up the video and pictures and being happily surprised/reminded of moments like that

Glad you enjoy the gifs - I think they can be fun and some moments they add a bit to I think over just a still photo

We are definite fans on the trains. Peter loves trains and my dad did as well, so I feel there is that connection there - and then to Walt as well given his love of trains.

The frustrating thing was Peter was having trouble verbalizing why he didn't want to ride. Once we got it out of him that it was the dark/night element he was nervous about it made sense and was understandable. Olivia definitely had a good time!

The last time I was at Chef Mickey's I was 6 years old. It sounds like not much has changed! Glad you enjoyed it. I would agree I prefer Tusker House breakfast.

I am 18 and I love the train. I was really into trains when I was little though.

Glad you got the rider swap. I guess riding at night does make it a bit more "scary". I prefer it at night. I'd love to ride it during the fireworks to see what that is like.

I keep coming back to thinking about Chef Mickeys and our opinion on it and I think it comes down to that there are other character meals we liked better and CM is just so pricey. But it definitely was enjoyable and and I do not regret going there at all

My dad was big into trains - we still have probably about 75+ Lionel trains in the basement of my moms house of his (I am keeping some of them - one set of pre-World War 2 and then all the Disney cars he had) so having that connection and just thinking about how much he would have enjoyed riding the train with Peter (my Dad passed away before any of my kids were born) always brings the feels for me

Once we understood why Peter was nervous about it, it made sense - he just had trouble verbalizing that fact. I like it at night as well - I think Big Thunder it makes an even bigger difference at night but I do really like it at night. Coming up we got to ride Everest at night which is amazing!

In 2011 and 2012, I had no luck getting a Chef Mickey's adr. I was so excited to finally get one in 2013 and I think my expectations were too high. We have one for next month for one of my granddaughter's first visit, but also have another for Akershus at a similar time. She's getting more into the princesses, so Chef Mickey will probably be cancelled. The only way we do character meals is on the dining plan. Two credits for those will be a bit much.

I love ride photos! Glad you had a good day!

Sometimes I think your expectations going into something at Disney really impacts your opinion of it. As my expectations (especially for the food) for CM were fairly low so the fact that we actually thought it was pretty good and everything was warm and fresh really left a positive impact on us

We really like Akershus (did it this trip too - coming up in a few updates) and definitely a great option for meeting princesses.

Overall it was a bit of a different Disney day for us - but definitely a good one

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter