2nd guessing myself...help me decide, please

cmaee

DIS Veteran
I just booked our 1st trip to Universal next summer. I originally thought I would book Royal Pacific, but at the last minute decided to stay at Cabana Bay. Here is my travel info...

June 2017 - 6 nights staying at Cabana Bay Tower Family Suite with a 4 day Park-Park + Unlimited Express pass

I priced out the same dates staying in a standard room at Royal Pacific with 4 day Park-Park ticket. It ends up being a $43 greater difference to stay at Cabana Bay.

Would you stay at the Cabana Bay or switch to Royal Pacific? My kids will be 14, 13, and 10 when we travel. Do you think one resort would be better than another for kids their ages? Would the extra space be worth having a longer travel time to the parks?

Thanks!

At that age, and for only $43 difference, I would go with Cabana Bay. I think the ambiance, extra room, and extra amenities (like bowling) will be a little more appropriate at that age.

Have a great trip! They are the perfect age to love everything UO has to offer!

Difficult choice, but either way, make sure you are getting the Stay More Save More discount. I don't know how far out it gets implemented so you do not have it, keep checking the rates and request an adjustment (or rebook) when it starts showing up. Hotels though: for us (2 adults and 2 older teens), we like the ease of walking to the parks as opposed to taking a bus, so we would choose RPR. I think the bus drops off at the parking garage so you have to walk through citywalk and the regular security. Walking or boat taxi from RPR has its own security so fewer people in line. Pros for Cabana Bay would be the greater variety of quick service food options and more room space. Both have great pools (though we have never used the pool since we have one at home so it is not a novelty). I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Difficult choice, but either way, make sure you are getting the Stay More Save More discount. I don't know how far out it gets implemented so you do not have it, keep checking the rates and request an adjustment (or rebook) when it starts showing up. Hotels though: for us (2 adults and 2 older teens), we like the ease of walking to the parks as opposed to taking a bus, so we would choose RPR. I think the bus drops off at the parking garage so you have to walk through citywalk and the regular security. Walking or boat taxi from RPR has its own security so fewer people in line. Pros for Cabana Bay would be the greater variety of quick service food options and more room space. Both have great pools (though we have never used the pool since we have one at home so it is not a novelty). I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Thanks for the info. I did get the stay more save more discount. I didn't realize there was separate security entrances. Hmm...I wonder how long the lines are in the morning for the early entry.

Thanks for the info. I did get the stay more save more discount. I didn't realize there was separate security entrances. Hmm...I wonder how long the lines are in the morning for the early entry.
I never had to wait more than about 5 people coming into the parks, and the busses from Cabana Bay were quite frequent & don't think we ever waited 15 minutes for a bus.

Staying at RPR is way more convenient and imo better all around.

At CB, yes you will have a little more space, but are you going to hang out in the room?

When going to the parks you will have way more walking from CW bus drop off to the parks. Just walking from the bus drop off to IOA is longer than walking from RPR to IOA. So you can go back and forth from the parks to RPR simply walking if you choose.

Then staying at RPR is way easier to pool hop to the other 3 hotels, plus poolside you are waited on vs getting it yourself.

For us, it would be no question go for RPR.

I say get one AP and get a bigger discount at RPH. Maybe get two rooms or a suite there with discount (of course, AP discount will come out later...)

Staying at RPR is way more convenient and imo better all around.

At CB, yes you will have a little more space, but are you going to hang out in the room?

When going to the parks you will have way more walking from CW bus drop off to the parks. Just walking from the bus drop off to IOA is longer than walking from RPR to IOA. So you can go back and forth from the parks to RPR simply walking if you choose.

Then staying at RPR is way easier to pool hop to the other 3 hotels, plus poolside you are waited on vs getting it yourself.

For us, it would be no question go for RPR.

I never gave a thought to how far you would have to walk from the bus drop off area versus the distance from RPR. That makes a big difference to me.

I did a whole breakdown a year or so ago and the numbers don't lie.

I would stay at RPR. There are plenty other areas around the resort to hang out for extra room. You will be papered more there too. No waiting for a bus at either CW nor CB. It's just much easier taking the boat or a quick walk to CW.

See the walking path from RPR to CW puts you right beside Margaritaville. So right there it's a shorter walk. You can walk from CB but that would be crazy.

i was thinking the same thing about the room rate.

the SMSM rate usually is out sometime in September each year.
a few times it has been released mid october.

once it has been released, the op can call and modify her room rate to the SMSM rate.

it is a general public code that anyone can use.

discounts are based on a 3 -5-7 night stay.
i always use the 7 + night stay and this year my room is at a 35% discount.

a 5 night stay could be around 25% depending on the dates you are booked.
it varies by dates on the amount of the discount.

I just booked our 1st trip to Universal next summer. I originally thought I would book Royal Pacific, but at the last minute decided to stay at Cabana Bay. Here is my travel info...

June 2017 - 6 nights staying at Cabana Bay Tower Family Suite with a 4 day Park-Park + Unlimited Express pass

I priced out the same dates staying in a standard room at Royal Pacific with 4 day Park-Park ticket. It ends up being a $43 greater difference to stay at Cabana Bay.

Would you stay at the Cabana Bay or switch to Royal Pacific? My kids will be 14, 13, and 10 when we travel. Do you think one resort would be better than another for kids their ages? Would the extra space be worth having a longer travel time to the parks?

Thanks!
I would go for RPR, for all the reasons listed as well as the included Express Passes. The crowd calendars for June are usually very high and the EPs would come in very handy.

I'd switch back to RPR. I doubt you will really be in the room that much for it to matter. In my experience my family goes off in groups and then we're all together in the room getting ready for bed. You'll have more than enough room hanging out in common areas. During shower time, getting ready, etc if we were in each other's hair too much some of us would go get a snack or drink while the others get ready and then switch out.

Keep watching the rates. I bet by the time vacation rolls around you'd be saving a great deal by staying at RPR versus CB. SMSM rate should come out before the end of the year... Or any other special they might start.

Thanks guys. I decided to switch back to RPR. You've all convinced me this is the smarter choice for my family. Now I just have to hurry up and wait for our trip to get here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter