2nd day at Animal Kingdom or day at Hollywood Studios

Paul Payne

Earning My Ears
i am traveling to Disney for 7 days at the end of February. Will be traveling with wife and 6 year old neice. Have 2 days planned at MK and EP but was wondering with the amount of construction should I do 2 days at AK and skip HS. Wife and neice don't like trill rides so wouldn't be doing rockin roller coaster or TOT if we went. Any advice.

Have they ever done Toy Story Mania? Do they like shows? The Great Movie Ride and Muppet Vision 3D are also fun options that aren't thrill rides at all. We usually spend two mornings at AK (to ride Dinosaur, Kali, and Kilimanjaro Safaris, and my brother rides Everest) before the crowds, and that's pretty much it. We don't spend a full day in AK, let alone 2 full days. But, we usually only spend a morning or two in HS also. I think if they've never been to HS, it's worth going rather than going to AK again.

If you're able to be flexible, go to AK once and then decide all together if you'd rather go again or try something new.

ETA: We haven't been to Disney since the new nighttime entertainment options have been introduced at both parks, so I can't speak to how that would change our plans.

I would still plan for a day at HS. I love AK but I'm not sure I could fill two entire days there. Toy Story Mania and the Great Movie Ride are still fun. The Beauty and the Beast live show is one of my favorites and Fantasmic is my absolute favorite of the closing/firework shows. There are a lot of little meet and greet options and shows that kids and adults would enjoy. The Little Mermaid, Muppets, Disney Junior, Indiana Jones, etc. It's the only place kids can meet Moana. We just did HS in December and spent the entire day there and definitely could have done more. If it's her first time I'd definitely check it out.

I can easily spend two days at AK enjoying both attractions and animals. The two animal trails are world class..and many have never bothered to check them out. The gorillas and meerkats and tigers..oh my!!! I could spend hours here just sitting watching these!!!..then there is the nee nightime things..2 days here easy for me. ..And now the tree of life trails are all open with more to see!. If you can hop plan 1/2 day at the studio, take a break then head to Ak For evening. If no hop, for me Id skip the studio. Depends what the kiddo will like more..I cannot imagine spending a whole day on a short trip at HS right now.

I would do both Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.
If you don't think you'll spend a long day at Hollywood Studio then you can plan some extra activities like miniature gold, Hoop de do, time at the swimming pool or go to Disney Springs.

The shows and trails at Animal Kingdom are great and you should be able to fit it all in one day. Kali River Rapids, Expedition Everest and Dinosaur are probably off of your list if you aren't doing thrill rides. Hollywood Studios has shows and attractions (mentioned by earlier poster) that your niece will likely enjoy and would probably be better time spent than a 2nd day at Animal Kingdom.

same day fastpasses aren't horrible lately and getting a good ADR the night before (near midnight) is pretty easy too. Decide when you are done with your first day of AK and preplan whatever fastpasses you think is the most likely park you'll do.

I would do 1 day at AK and 1 day at DHS. We are not huge thrill ride people although we love Star Tours and are there a full day. We like The Great Movie Ride and the Muppets and the shows such as Indiana Jones and Frozen. Last trip in Dec we saw the March of the First Order plus the Star Wars show whatever it was called where some of the characters come out and there are scenes shown on screens and The Launch Bay. We also went to One Man's Dream. Fantasmic is wonderful. At AK we like the safari and walking the different trails plus the Flights of Wonder show.

I would not skip DHS> there are shows, characters, attractions. Yes, there is construction, but there is still a lot to enjoy.

I did skip DHS this past summer, BUT . . . since you have your niece with you, and she has never been before, DHS does have Toy Story, and Muppet Vision 3D, and Fantasmic . .. I would say plan a DHS day, and if it gets boring, you can always leave early to do something else, OR . .. . you could plan on doing DHS in the afternoon / evening, get your FP+ for that time frame, then just do something else in the morning, like Mini Golf, or Disney Springs, or maybe sleep in a little, then go for a swim before heading to DHS for the evening.

I would absolutely do DHS. The Disney Jr. characters are there, Toy Story Mania is worth the trip itself, and the shows are awesome. The Star Wars stuff is pretty great to. Even if she's not a fan she will love seeing the storm troopers patrolling the park and marching in formation through the crowds (assuming they still do that). We had three kids 6 and under there last year and found there was as much for them to do and see at DHS than just about anywhere except Magic Kingdom.

My DDs are 7 and 5. I would do DHS, especially if they are not interested in thrill rides. My kids are usually done with AK in one day, and they enjoy the following attractions at DHS: Toy Story Mania, Disney Jr show, Little Mermaid show, Frozen sing along show, Muppet vision, Hollywood and Vine Disney Jr lunch, and Fantasmic at night. Have fun!

DHS is worth it if only for the Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular. My mother who has never seen a Star Wars movie in her life loved the show. It will always be a must do for me. As will the Frozen sing along. That was a great show with laughs and songs alike. B+TB live is a good show also. Fantasmic is a favorite of a lot of people...personally I have never seen it. Star Tours is a fun non thrill ride. Toy Story Midway Mania is a fun and competitive ride/game. My youngest loves the muppet show. There are plenty of reasons to spend a day at both DHS and AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter