• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017ers?

So we have went from 1 week at POP to 1 week at POR (both with deluxe dining) back to POP for 2 weeks with the regular dining plan

Good evening DISers,

Any of y'all planning a 2017 trip? If so, when are you going? Are you staying on-site? Is this your first trip or 10th? or 20th? We are planning for May of 2017 and this will be our 2nd trip. The first time in July of 2011 we stayed off site, but this time want to be in the middle of it all. Any suggestions? Thanks to all of you!

Hello :teeth:!

After watching the Free Dining madness yesterday and not being part of it for the first time since 2012 I am starting to tentatively plan a trip for March 2017! My sons birthday is St. Paddy's day :shamrock: and he has always wanted to go for his b-day! My projected dates are Mar 15-Mar 22. Mind you we are Canadian and the dollar, along with being used to low crowd times, and my sons fish :fish:like tendencies the current plan is to rent a condo and do a water park only trip. Unlike you this would be our first time not staying on property. We have stayed at Pop 3 times and All Star Sports once. I always lean towards a longer trip at a cheaper property, hence our value loving ways. WE have been on property each trip due to free dining! With free dining at a value we always found it better to be on property.

Has anyone else done a trip without going in the main parks?

May 20 - 27. POR (2 rooms). This will be my daughter (8 @ time of trip) and my 3rd Disneyworld vacation! All 3 onsite. Accompanying us for their first Disneyworld vacation is my best friend of 35 years, her daughter, son in law, and grandson (4 or 5 @ time of trip). Since i'm the only one in the group with experience planning a DW vacation i'll be doing the planning for our group!

My older son's HS band is traveling to WDW January 13-18. DH, YDS and I will be meeting them down there and see them play as part of our family vacation. It will be our first trip to WDW. We plan to stay on property and may stay in town a day or two longer than the band. They'll be taking a bus back. We can fly and still beat him home.

We've been shooting for a 2017 trip since last year but it's still pretty vague. It will likely be either May or August. I'd love to stay at YC/BC, but POR is more realistic. If POR is unavailable we'd love to stay at CBR again. The kids are grown and ideally they'll have their own room, but I don't know what the budget will be yet. Heck, I don't know much of anything except that 2017 is the goal. For the whole family it will be our third trip staying onsite and fourth overall. DH and I each went to MK once as kids, so for us it's #5. Which is not nearly enough. :earboy2:

Supposed to be leaving for Disney World on May 6, but I will be 34 weeks pregnant then :)
We are pusing our trip back to May 6-16, 2017 when new baby should be about 10 months old. We've taken our first child to Disney World 3 other times (May 2014-All Star Sports, May 2015-Beach Club/AKL Jambo split, November 2015-Saratoga Springs). We love the beginning of May. It is a wonderful time of year to visit! For our next trip we want to do all 10 nights at AKL or do a split with AKL and maybe Boardwalk or Beachclub. My husband LOVES AKL!

Hiya Super-planners! :)

We are planning a trip for just-after-school-lets-out summer 2017. Looking at 24 June-8 July ish. Hot! Ugg! But the school calendar simply doesn't allow for other times. :(

This will be our first trip in 5 years, and probably our last for a long time :( We went 4 years ago for my youngest daughter's 5th birthday. I planned it like crazy, saved like mad, and it was AWESOME. She will be 10 this time and said she wants the exact same trip over again... but what she really means is the exact same *FEELING* over again, with several of the same experiences... so I have my work cut out for me!

#1- it's not her first trip any more, so the "wow" factor may not be the same
#2- I am a SAHM these days AND we are going for 2 weeks instead of 1, so a dramatically different budget to work with.
#3- My other daughter will be 13.5, so we have to balance between their needs/wants.

I won't lie, I'm gonna *MISS* having the double stroller this time!!! (Even though she was 8.5, my oldest daughter has always been slender, so we duct-taped (not kidding) the old double umbrella stroller together for one last hurrah and it was GREAT having a place to hang the bags, a place for kids to sit, etc. One of the kids is special-needs, too, and we were able to get the stroller-as-wheelchair accommodation and she could sit down and chill out through some of the long lines (I'm looking at YOU, Harry Potter!!!) We threw it away at the end of the trip, and I'm not gonna lie... it broke my heart... but if you have to leave a piece of childhood behind, Disney is a great place to leave it. You always know where to come back and find it again.

So from a quick (three-day) scan of the boards, I see there is a new Seven Dwarves Mine Train Ride... and there's an Avatar land about to open? What else is new in the past few years? (I read all about trading with the Jawas at HS... *SO* geeked about that!!!)

Hiya Super-planners! :)

We are planning a trip for just-after-school-lets-out summer 2017. Looking at 24 June-8 July ish. Hot! Ugg! But the school calendar simply doesn't allow for other times. :(

This will be our first trip in 5 years, and probably our last for a long time :( We went 4 years ago for my youngest daughter's 5th birthday. I planned it like crazy, saved like mad, and it was AWESOME. She will be 10 this time and said she wants the exact same trip over again... but what she really means is the exact same *FEELING* over again, with several of the same experiences... so I have my work cut out for me!

#1- it's not her first trip any more, so the "wow" factor may not be the same
#2- I am a SAHM these days AND we are going for 2 weeks instead of 1, so a dramatically different budget to work with.
#3- My other daughter will be 13.5, so we have to balance between their needs/wants.

I won't lie, I'm gonna *MISS* having the double stroller this time!!! (Even though she was 8.5, my oldest daughter has always been slender, so we duct-taped (not kidding) the old double umbrella stroller together for one last hurrah and it was GREAT having a place to hang the bags, a place for kids to sit, etc. One of the kids is special-needs, too, and we were able to get the stroller-as-wheelchair accommodation and she could sit down and chill out through some of the long lines (I'm looking at YOU, Harry Potter!!!) We threw it away at the end of the trip, and I'm not gonna lie... it broke my heart... but if you have to leave a piece of childhood behind, Disney is a great place to leave it. You always know where to come back and find it again.

So from a quick (three-day) scan of the boards, I see there is a new Seven Dwarves Mine Train Ride... and there's an Avatar land about to open? What else is new in the past few years? (I read all about trading with the Jawas at HS... *SO* geeked about that!!!)

I will try to be a little bit of help...I have only been once (2015), but I can tell you about what I have read about on here. Avatar is rumored to open in Spring of 2017...but who knows if it will...could be closer to summer. Rivers of Light is the new night-time entertainment show for AK that was supposed to open in April of this year, but has been pushed back to summer (July, maybe?). A Jungle Book night-time show is going to be running in the meantime, starting Memorial Day weekend (I think) until Rivers of Light opens. This means that AK will be open at night-time and everyone is pretty excited about that. I know I am, I can't wait to be there next year (early April) at night! There is also a new restaurant opening up in AK - Tiffin's. There is a new Frozen ride opening in Epcot this summer. Soarin' has been closed for a bit because it is getting a face-lift and is re-opening sometime this summer. There is a new Star Wars fireworks show at Hollywood Studios for this summer...I'm not sure if it will continue after this summer, but my husband is crossing his fingers! Disney Springs has been under construction for a while. Lots of new stores and restaurants have opened/are opening. Hmmm...what else....was FastPass via magic band in effect when you were there? Was Be Our Guest restaurant open?

Are you going to Universal again, also? They have a new ride opening this summer - Reign of Kong. Also, they just tore down and re-built The Hulk coaster, so it is new, but it's not, lol, and is re-opening this summer. They also have 2 attractions - Jimmy Fallon's Race through New York (or something like that) and a Fast & Furious attraction - that are set to open sometime in 2017.

I'm sure I have forgotten a few things and hopefully others can share some input (and correct me if I have gotten anything wrong). I hope this helped a bit!

Feb. 20-25 @ All-Star Movies. Anxiously awaiting somebody far more responsible and dedicated than I to start the official February 2017 thread here! :cutie:

I will try to be a little bit of help...I have only been once (2015), but I can tell you about what I have read about on here. Avatar is rumored to open in Spring of 2017...but who knows if it will...could be closer to summer. Rivers of Light is the new night-time entertainment show for AK that was supposed to open in April of this year, but has been pushed back to summer (July, maybe?). A Jungle Book night-time show is going to be running in the meantime, starting Memorial Day weekend (I think) until Rivers of Light opens. This means that AK will be open at night-time and everyone is pretty excited about that. I know I am, I can't wait to be there next year (early April) at night! There is also a new restaurant opening up in AK - Tiffin's. There is a new Frozen ride opening in Epcot this summer. Soarin' has been closed for a bit because it is getting a face-lift and is re-opening sometime this summer. There is a new Star Wars fireworks show at Hollywood Studios for this summer...I'm not sure if it will continue after this summer, but my husband is crossing his fingers! Disney Springs has been under construction for a while. Lots of new stores and restaurants have opened/are opening. Hmmm...what else....was FastPass via magic band in effect when you were there? Was Be Our Guest restaurant open?

Are you going to Universal again, also? They have a new ride opening this summer - Reign of Kong. Also, they just tore down and re-built The Hulk coaster, so it is new, but it's not, lol, and is re-opening this summer. They also have 2 attractions - Jimmy Fallon's Race through New York (or something like that) and a Fast & Furious attraction - that are set to open sometime in 2017.

I'm sure I have forgotten a few things and hopefully others can share some input (and correct me if I have gotten anything wrong). I hope this helped a bit!

Hiya Catfan!

Yep, very helpful, thanks! Heck, last time we were there "Disney Springs" was still "Downtown Disney." I don't think "Be Our Guest" was open yet, but we did meet Remy at Chefs de France.

Nope, neither fastpass+ nor magicbands were a "thing" when we were last there. I *LOVED* the old fastpass system (especially how they didn't enforce the window, and you could come back "late" or give your fastpasses away for a pixiedust moment), not loving the sound of the new one, but we'll make it work. We have family that will be staying at Ft Wilderness who we will link our tickets through for fastpasses and reservations, so we should be able to book 60 days out like the fancy onsite people even though we're offsite peons... ;D

I'm blessed-beyond-words that my girls have never been particularly obsessed with Anna and Elsa, but I am curious to see how they make over Maelstrom... most importantly, are they nixing the boring educational film part they forced you to endure to go on the ride in the past?

We are planning to go to both Universal parks over the course of 2 or 3 days, and H is super-excited to see the new part of Harry Potter. I hadn't heard about the other changes, but then, DIS is all about the Disney, not so much chatter on the other parks.

One thing we are doing that is new-and-different (for us, anyway) this time is that we are having non-park days. Without the stroller-as-wheelchair, we are going to need to slow WAYyyyy down so that our "special" girl doesn't get exhausted and melt down. That's why we're getting the condo for 2 weeks instead of one. So I'm looking at what we can do OUTSIDE the parks so that non-park days are not totally lame doing laundry and watching cable, but also not overly stimulating... So we'll do Downtown Disney--I mean "Disney Springs" one day... poke around Fort Wilderness and do the campfire sing along... watch the fireworks from Poly one night... and since the oldest will be 13, we are going to do the spa together one day, instead of BBB, which the 10 year old still wants to do. We'll have the option of taking a FW break during Disney Park days and hanging at the family's RV, but I hate to "waste" park time if we don't have to.

I'm hoping to learn a lot from the June 2016 trip reports in the next month or so. I know it's going to be hot and miserable and rain every afternoon, but heck, that's how it was last time, too...

Feb. 20-25 @ All-Star Movies. Anxiously awaiting somebody far more responsible and dedicated than I to start the official February 2017 thread here! :cutie:

Hehe... I'm waiting on the same thing for June! There's a May and an August, but no June yet. :)

Thank you all for your replies. It's good to have a great forum like DIS Boards for us all to come together and share our stories, memories, and travel tips. Keep it coming!

David

I started a February 2017 thread awhile ago.... No idea how to link it. But come join :)

I've been looking for a Feb 2017 thread, too. I found the one you started over in the Resorts>Countdowns & Live Reports board. Would you be game to (re)start an "Official February 2017" thread on this board ("Doing the Happy Dance")? This page seems to be where the most active "month/year" countdown threads are.party:

I'm not booked yet, but since Easter is ruling out April for me, I'm pretty well convinced I'm going back to February next year.

I am planning our 3rd family trip (I went a few times as a child) for early June 2017. We are a family of 5 so I'm thinking either CBR or All Star Music family suite. My kids ask me almost daily "When are we going back to Disney!?". We can't wait!

Count us in for 2017! We finally have our dates set, so May 28-June 5, 2017, we are headed to the World! We are excited but pacing ourselves. This trip is 2 years in the planning and budgeting and things are still a little fluid. What we know:

--Top 3 resort choices are the Poly, Wilderness Lodge, and Beach Club. The Contemporary is also in play. DD wants to stay deluxe, and we are interested in being in the most convenient transportation situation we can. I don't think we can go wrong with any of the choices!
--We don't have any ambition to be park commandos on this trip. In fact, quite the opposite. We definitely want to include the new offerings at HS and AK. I'm sure we'll explore the new Frozen features as well. But ADRs and the basic touring plans will be in DD's court. It's her trip, and DH & I will just be along for the fun. As of now, she lists the new nighttime shows, dinner at Ohana, and Fantasmic as must dos.
--This will be my and DD's 4th trip and DH's 7th.
--This will be our first time flying to WDW

She'll graduate on 5/26 and be wearing her mortar board Mickey ears 2 days later!!

I've been looking for a Feb 2017 thread, too. I found the one you started over in the Resorts>Countdowns & Live Reports board. Would you be game to (re)start an "Official February 2017" thread on this board ("Doing the Happy Dance")? This page seems to be where the most active "month/year" countdown threads are.party:

I'm not booked yet, but since Easter is ruling out April for me, I'm pretty well convinced I'm going back to February next year.
Sure! I am on it.

We are in for early March 2017! Our family of 4 has been to WDW 6 times. Next year we are traveling with my in-laws, brother in law, his wife, and their 23 yr old daughter. We are sharing an off site villa so this trip will be VERY different. But hey, it's Disney World!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter