2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry everyone I sooooo need to learn to multi quote lol I need to go to dis board 101 and learn how to do it : )
It took me a long time to learn :rolleyes:

YES! I posted a bit on the YC/BC board. She was cleared today by the vet. We are very excited!
That's good news Scott!

RPC & SL if RPC can access SL, is the reverse true? I'm booked in SL, so can we have RPC access? First time staying CL at GF.

Ohh... I can't eat coldcuts because of preservatives.. Was hoping they were fresh!

The margherita flat bread pizza is very light and tasty..and so is the veggie flat bread pizza..it also has a whole grain crust...

If its a sandwich that you really want maybe the GF Cafe would be a better choice than Gasparillas..since many items are cooked to order...Nice atmosphere...and good food...although thinking on that their sandwiches are made with the same cold cuts I believe....:confused3

Clarification needed :confused3 In the main bldg, std club rooms on the 5th floor are all dormer rooms? :confused:

Thanks much :hug:

Hi jrj...Not k&a&c'smom ..but maybe I can help with your question....I bet she has a picture though...lol..Standard rooms in RPC are generally in the 3rd and 4th floors...the suites on the 5th floor do have bedrooms that can be closed off into a standard room ..not sure how often they are assigned that way though..and those are dormer..with the vaulted ceilings..and the enclosed balcony... HTH...:)

The margherita flat bread pizza is very light and tasty..and so is the veggie flat bread pizza..it also has a whole grain crust...

If its a sandwich that you really want maybe the GF Cafe would be a better choice than Gasparillas..since many items are cooked to order...Nice atmosphere...and good food...although thinking on that their sandwiches are made with the same cold cuts I believe....:confused3

Hi jrj...Not k&a&c'smom ..but maybe I can help with your question....I bet she has a picture though...lol..Standard rooms in RPC are generally in the 3rd and 4th floors...the suites on the 5th floor do have bedrooms that can be closed off into a standard room ..not sure how often they are assigned that way though..and those are dormer..with the vaulted ceilings..and the enclosed balcony... HTH...:)

Yes the flat bread looks good..my hubby had it at WL and I took a bite but didn't order my own.

Hi BlueSkies :wave2:

How are you?

LOL, you know k&a&c'smom has a picture and I'll be waiting to see it :rotfl:

Thanks much for responding... yes indeed...helps tremendously :thumbsup2

Have a GRAND evening :flower3:

Sadly we have had constant thunderstorms this past week. I did manage to grab last month's Super Moon before it clouded over though! Forgive the quality, I'm still mastering night time photography!

Liz

Thanks for posting! Love the pictures of the moon!!!

Lulu'sMom - thanks for the info, good to know!:) Enjoy your trip, sounds fabulous!

Thanks! I was just curious, I cant seem to view the photos in the link.

Another question.....I would not mind a lagoon view however I dont wan t to stare at the Poly or have to turn sideways to see the water. Should I just book TPV to avoid these issues?

You are all so very helpful!:goodvibes

Perhaps your browser is thwarting your attempts to see the photos - when I click on it, I can see them. Did you try the link at the top of the first post, first page? It is the same photos, maybe that link will work better for you.

**Has anyone else tried the link above? Just wondering if everybody is having trouble seeing the photos but me.:)

There are still lagoon view rooms in Boca Chica, for sure, so you could put that in your requests if you would like a lagoon view. For us, the garden views are so pretty, I never pay the upgrade.;)

PS. - the allears menu is what I was looking at...there is much more on there than on the website for WDW...anyone know which is correct?

Have you tried the menu right here on the DIS? I'll see if I can find the link. ETA: the menu here on wdwinfo!

Isn't it crazy to start your day in a warm/hot location and fly home to snow/freezing weather lol especially at the airport where peeps are looking at you like .... are you crazy it's 15 degrees outside ....
We sold our house in California a year ago so we at officially cold weather residents now kinda of, but were pretty used to the winter now and if dressed warm it's actually so fun : )

Here in Missouri, we have awful humidity even in the winter months, so the cold really gets into your bones. Yes, I do hate when we land from a warm vacation and have to bundle up - the time mentioned, when we were in shorts in March, there was quite a bit of snow on our car and I slipped and fell in it twice while cleaning it off!:rotfl:

Sorry everyone I sooooo need to learn to multi quote lol I need to go to dis board 101 and learn how to do it : )

Just click on the icon with the quotation marks on it for each post you want to multi quote (it is located right next to the icon which says Quote).:flower3:

k&a&c'smom Are we going to be back to posting at the same time?? :goodvibes

thanks for the chocolate covered pineapple info...MK first stop..Confectionary!!! lol....Its always about the food....

We too stay in suites from time to time..and on a more recent stay did not have SL access ...:confused3 but did not request it either...??? Totally confusing ....lol.... :eek:

I don't know, we might be posting together right now!;) Yes, I can't wait to try those pineapple spears.:teeth:

Thanks for the info on the RPC/SL access. As I said earlier, we've never tried so I have no personal experience to draw from.

YES! I posted a bit on the YC/BC board. She was cleared today by the vet. We are very excited!

Oh, so happy for you guys, and Grace.:grouphug: Now, on with the show!pixiedust:

:wave:

Hi k&a&c'smom :wave2:

How are you?

Clarification needed :confused3 In the main bldg, std club rooms on the 5th floor are all dormer rooms? :confused:

Thanks much :hug:

:wave: BlueSkies answered your question, but I do have photos!;)

Looking at the Main Building from the courtyard area, you can see the dormer balconies on the top floor
IMG_0267_zpsa9492b4c.jpg

Looking from the beach, the dormers wrap around the building at the top...
IMG_0350_zps7db103cd.jpg

RPC & SL if RPC can access SL, is the reverse true? I'm booked in SL, so can we have RPC access? First time staying CL at GF.

Sorry, no - SL guests cannot access RPC. It would be great if you could, but then, who would pay that crazy high rate?!:laughing:

I haven't been back to GFC in a little over a year, so it may have changed, but I've never felt the sandwiches were deli-type meat. We used to get the Grand sandwich quite regularly and it was nice roasted turkey, yum! (I just checked the menu, and it still says "fresh roasted turkey"):thumbsup2

Those flatbreads sound great!

k&a&c'smom :wave2:

:worship: You never disappoint :worship:

Thanks much for the pictures :hug:

:wave: BlueSkies answered your question, but I do have photos!;)

Looking at the Main Building from the courtyard area, you can see the dormer balconies on the top floor
IMG_0267_zpsa9492b4c.jpg

Looking from the beach, the dormers wrap around the building at the top...
IMG_0350_zps7db103cd.jpg

Just drove from St louis to tulsa and finally got to catch up on 10 pages while the kiddos were sleeping. Our middle child turns 3 this weekend so we will be telling the kids about their upcoming Disney trip so they will have a 30 day countdown!

I have found the tervis like wine tumblers from bed bath and beyond to be great for traveling (someone posted about packing wine glasses a few pages back).

LOL...we do have some multi-quoting queens on here! :thumbsup2 :) Good instructions have been given, but to master it is another thing. :surfweb:

Liz, what beautiful pictures of the supermoon! They look absolutely spooky, as in Halloween spooky!

Happy travels to those of you leaving soon! :car:

Hi, Blue...I've had less time to hang around here because I have had more company! :crazy2: All good fun tho, except for the extra kitchen time...

Hello to all my Grand friends!!!

Wow! I was surprised to see so many pages to read.
Nice to read about all the Grand vacations.

Candy

LOL...we do have some multi-quoting queens on here! :thumbsup2 :) Good instructions have been given, but to master it is another thing. :surfweb:

Liz, what beautiful pictures of the supermoon! They look absolutely spooky, as in Halloween spooky!

Happy travels to those of you leaving soon! :car:

Hi, Blue...I've had less time to hang around here because I have had more company! :crazy2: All good fun tho, except for the extra kitchen time...

I tried to do a multi quote the other day and when looked at it I decided...hmm NOT! So if I don't quote you, it doesn't mean I don't love you! I'm just multi quote challenged :upsidedow

I agree that July moon looks more like a Harvest Moon. We've had such wonky weather here this year (Epic floods in April and this morning it was 67 degrees...67!!! Normal low is upper 70s or lower 80s!) I'm just going with it :goodvibes I'm hoping to get some lovely moon pictures with our beloved GF in the background in October!

Scott MC I'm right there with you eating at all GF restaurants! We are even having another Afternoon Tea as well! Enjoy your trip and check back in with us soon!

Liz

Can anyone who has stayed at the Grand post-room refurb say whether the televisions have HDMI ports that can be accessed by guests? Wondering whether we can bring a cable and watch movies from our iPad/iPhone.

I know you used to be able to hook-up composite cables, but the current generation iPad no longer supports analog-out video.

k&a&c'smom :wave2:

Thanks much for the pictures :hug:

Aww, thanks!:hug: Glad to help!

Just drove from St louis to tulsa and finally got to catch up on 10 pages while the kiddos were sleeping. Our middle child turns 3 this weekend so we will be telling the kids about their upcoming Disney trip so they will have a 30 day countdown!

I have found the tervis like wine tumblers from bed bath and beyond to be great for traveling (someone posted about packing wine glasses a few pages back).

Thanks for that info, I'm going to go check those out as soon as I get finished here.:goodvibes

Hey, what part of STL, if you don't mind posting it? DS is in Kirkwood, sis is in Wentzville but lived for many years in St. Charles. I was just in STL a couple weeks ago, enjoyed a nice visit. We'll be having a wedding out there next year.:goodvibes

Enjoy your announcement to the kids.party: Oh, and Happy Birthday to the little one.:cutie:

More company, sounds fun!:crowded: Enjoy!

Candy

:wave: It has been very busy around here this summer!

I tried to do a multi quote the other day and when looked at it I decided...hmm NOT! So if I don't quote you, it doesn't mean I don't love you! I'm just multi quote challenged :upsidedow

I agree that July moon looks more like a Harvest Moon. We've had such wonky weather here this year (Epic floods in April and this morning it was 67 degrees...67!!! Normal low is upper 70s or lower 80s!) I'm just going with it :goodvibes I'm hoping to get some lovely moon pictures with our beloved GF in the background in October!

Scott MC I'm right there with you eating at all GF restaurants! We are even having another Afternoon Tea as well! Enjoy your trip and check back in with us soon!

Liz

We have had crazy weather this summer - I woke up to 58 degrees yesterday? One day this week, anyway. In August.:crazy:

Enjoy the afternoon tea, we love it - although they have changed the menu in the last year or two. Mostly set teas now, with fewer a la carte options, unless they changed it back since our last visit.

Can anyone who has stayed at the Grand post-room refurb say whether the televisions have HDMI ports that can be accessed by guests? Wondering whether we can bring a cable and watch movies from our iPad/iPhone.

I know you used to be able to hook-up composite cables, but the current generation iPad no longer supports analog-out video.

Good question, someone else asked about this and I don't know if we ever got it answered. Hope someone can post about it.:idea:

Enjoy the afternoon tea, we love it - although they have changed the menu in the last year or two. Mostly set teas now, with fewer a la carte options, unless they changed it back since our last visit.

I may be the reason they changed it! I ordered one of everything once so I could try it all. :rotfl:

We were there the end of July. Al la Carte seems to have been completely removed. You can have your choice of the premade selection "packages" which seem to cover most things. One of our most favorites is the scone with Devonshire Cream and Lemon Curd!

Oddly enough while I was posting, DH came in and sat down. He insists the tea reservations are for me but now he's wondering if we should make another or 3! Soo...

I'm hoping someone who has been there recently can confirm Afternoon Tea is still a club offering with scones in particular. If they are I'll keep this one and not make any more. Now I've made myself hungry and scones are still 2 months away :sad:

Thanks for any help from recent GF visitors!

Hope everyone has a GRAND Friday with pixiedust:

Liz

K&a&c's mom...it's a small world! I lived in st charles for 2 years then moved to wentzville when I got married. Lived there for 7 years and then moved to Wright city about a year ago. DH needed more space away from neighbors. Ha!

Where will the wedding be? So many nice places in stl for one!

So who has experience with the week after Thanksgiving? I am starting to worry about the crowd level because I saw on easywdw that the park hours have been extended and 2nd MSEP as well as Fantasmics added. They must be expecting crowds. We don't do crowds. I would switch to the last full week before Thanksgiving, but I would have to switch resorts.

We've never been during that time, but I have always read reports that crowds start to diminish the Sunday/Monday after Thanksgiving. However, with that said, I think what used to be "slow" times of year are not so slow anymore as all times of the year are getting busy :sad2:.

Just wanted to say Bon Voyage to y'all!
We leave tomorrow!

We will be at BC from 8/15-8/17, YC from 8/17-8/23 and will finish off at GF from 8/23-8/25. We're also eating at every restaurant at GF except V&A's on this trip. Can't wait!

Here's wishing all upcoming travelers a GRAND stay, magic abounding, good weather, low crowds, and loveliness as far as the eye can see!

You are probably already there, just wanted to say have a great trip and enjoy your 3 way split vacation :wizard:.

The citrus swirl is good, but we mourn the loss of the strawberry swirl - same thing, but with frozen strawberry puree. It was our favorite treat.

I don't think there is music, except for when the activities are going on. We don't spend nearly as much time at the Beach Pool as the Courtyard, busier and the water seems colder, but maybe someone who does can answer for sure.

The strawberry swirl sounds good, too!!! I wonder why Disney keeps getting rid of so many great things :confused:.

I agree about the music at the beach pool. On our last trip, we spent more time at the courtyard pool than the beach pool, but the few times we were at the beach pool, I don't remember music other than for the activities :confused3.

Sadly we have had constant thunderstorms this past week. I did manage to grab last month's Super Moon before it clouded over though! Forgive the quality, I'm still mastering night time photography!

Beautiful pic of the Supermoon, thanks for sharing :).

Thanks for the pic. It's making me want to be back at the Grand.

To everyone who is going to the World soon have a fantastic time! I'm still having Disney Depression since we got back and I'm sooo jealous of all of you!!!;)

It's always sad to be back from a trip, but the best thing to cure those Disney blues is to start planning your next trip ::yes::.

MickeyNut and grannieminnie Hey..and all the rest of my fellow GF fans...

Hi there Blue....hope things are going well :flower3:.

We love the Poly but just cant deal with the threat of construction, DH was the biggest poly fan and he is the one who is saying GF! I think that my kids will love the splash area and I am kinda excited to try something new, for the most part I hate change lol.I will wait to see whats what when the Poly is done but for now so much change over there will make us sad so why not just go somewhere else?

I think you will love the GF. The Poly is our favorite resort, but the GF runs a very close second :thumbsup2. It is a beautiful resort with a lot to offer and is a great alternative, IMO, to the Poly.

:wave:

Hi k&a&c'smom

How are you?

Clarification needed :confused3 In the main bldg, std club rooms on the 5th floor are all dormer rooms?

Thanks much

Just wanted to say that your trip is getting sooo close :cool1:. Can't wait to hear all about your fabulous GF stay :wizard:.

As k&a&c'smom posted, SL guests do not have access to RPC. RPC is quite a bit more expensive, so if SL guests did have access to RPC, everyone would pay the cheaper SL rate and stay in SL but use RPC.

k&a&c'smom

I agree, she always comes through :goodvibes.

How exciting to tell the kiddos so they can countdown :cheer2:. Happy Birthday to your little one :cake:.

I've had less time to hang around here because I have had more company! All good fun tho, except for the extra kitchen time...

Hope you had a nice time with your company :flower3:. I hear ya about the extra kitchen time......I do love to cook, but sometimes it seems never ending :laughing:.

Candy

Me too.....I didn't have a chance to read/post yesterday and came back this morning behind 4 pages :faint:.

I tried to do a multi quote the other day and when looked at it I decided...hmm NOT! So if I don't quote you, it doesn't mean I don't love you! I'm just multi quote challenged

I agree that July moon looks more like a Harvest Moon. We've had such wonky weather here this year (Epic floods in April and this morning it was 67 degrees...67!!! Normal low is upper 70s or lower 80s!) I'm just going with it. I'm hoping to get some lovely moon pictures with our beloved GF in the background in October!

Liz

LOL on the multi-quote, but it really is easy once you get the hang of it ;). I had to practice A LOT before I got it right :rotfl2:.

We've had crazy weather here, too. The high today is only supposed to be low 70s.....that's more September/October weather than August :rolleyes2. Those pics sound amazing, I hope you are able to get them when you go in October.

We've had crazy weather here, too. The high today is only supposed to be low 70s.....that's more September/October weather than August :rolleyes2. Those pics sound amazing, I hope you are able to get them when you go in October.

I'm not going to complain about the cooler temps! Last week it was so humid and hot you could barely breathe when you walked outside!

I'm super excited about photos at the GF in October. I ended up with 4 I'm having enlarged and framed from our stay at WL last month. I have been trying to take a really nice Sunrise/Set picture all year. Who knew I needed to go to WDW to get one! I was pleased with several lodge pictures I took too. Crossing my fingers October and GF will turn out as well. I love decorating with pictures I've taken. I might start a WDW wall somewhere!

A few pages back someone asked about the weather in November and what to pack. Last year we went the beginning of October and again the middle of November. Looking back at pictures, October I was in shorts and tank tops and melting! November I was in an overcoat buttoned and zipped one day and shorts and a tee the next day! I usually just pack everything! :thumbsup2

Liz

I'm not going to complain about the cooler temps! Last week it was so humid and hot you could barely breathe when you walked outside!

I'm super excited about photos at the GF in October. I ended up with 4 I'm having enlarged and framed from our stay at WL last month. I have been trying to take a really nice Sunrise/Set picture all year. Who knew I needed to go to WDW to get one! I was pleased with several lodge pictures I took too. Crossing my fingers October and GF will turn out as well. I love decorating with pictures I've taken. I might start a WDW wall somewhere!

A few pages back someone asked about the weather in November and what to pack. Last year we went the beginning of October and again the middle of November. Looking back at pictures, October I was in shorts and tank tops and melting! November I was in an overcoat buttoned and zipped one day and shorts and a tee the next day! I usually just pack everything! :thumbsup2

Liz

SO HOPING for mild weather beginning of Dec!:cheer2: Never know with the weather, though...could get a "cold snap"...:sad:Oh well, like you said, being prepared is KEY for variable weather! So ENJOY milder weather at WDW! Here's to hoping!pixiedust:pixiedust:

Hello! I'm new to these boards but I'm a huge GF fan! We have stayed multiple times over the last 5 years and love it so much haven't been willing to go anywhere else on property yet :) With 2 girls 3 and 6 and 2 twin boys 8 months you can't beat the monorail convenience! We are going back in November and staying in the Villas! I can't wait!!!

I resisted the siren song of the Grand to keep my reservation at BC CL. Not an easy decision, but with 8 days in December at VGF I thought it was piggy. And since our plans for the weekend are centered around the special Frozen stuff at DHS and Epcot has EMH one night, I just could'n't justify it. We will visit, however...perhaps a monorail tour of the lounges on night one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter