2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wrong, I did save the photo of the refurbed outer lobby - it was linked at the very top of the first post, first page!:rotfl2:

Here is the link, the lobby and hallway photos are near the end of the post. Thanks, Tink rules, for posting these.

BTW - there is a beautiful shot of the Beach Pool, looking out toward the lagoon and VGF, in the DVC section, bottom of first page. Posted by BCV23!

Aww, mickeynut, thanks.:hug: Missed your post last night, don't know how!:confused:

Did anyone get to see the Perseids this morning? I completely forgot, and I was even up before dawn.:upsidedow

Sadly we have had constant thunderstorms this past week. I did manage to grab last month's Super Moon before it clouded over though! Forgive the quality, I'm still mastering night time photography!

Wishing all safe travels and Grand vacations to all who are traveling now or soon. :wave2: I'm looking forward to reports and pictures! ;)

Liz

What beautiful photos, Liz!! Can't wait to show my DH, he loves anything astronomical ;), and photos of said even better.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about RPC using the SL since the magic bands and I really want to address this.
The magic band thing is such a lame excuse as those staying in suites have access to BOTH CLs. Yes, I repeat, both the RPC and the SL concierges.

So, you CAN get your MB programmed for both concierges. We will be staying TPV and then in a suite this November and know this first hand from the RPC staff. (of course, I am me and they have known me for quite a long time, but I doubt they would make something like this up).

Worse case scenario, if your MB doesn't work at the SL, they will let you in and you CAN enjoy that lounge. :goodvibes

I do hope this helps clear things up. :beach:

Oops, sorry, we were posting at the same time last night!:teeth: WDWKOOK said they have the choc pineapple spears at Main St. Confectionery.:goodvibes

Thought I'd mention, for anyone that needs it, I have a new pair of Sperry Topsiders, and there is very little arch support. I can wear them for going to restaurants, etc., but not for walking any distance.

The citrus swirl is good, but we mourn the loss of the strawberry swirl - same thing, but with frozen strawberry puree. It was our favorite treat.:sad2:

I don't think there is music, except for when the activities are going on. We don't spend nearly as much time at the Beach Pool as the Courtyard, busier and the water seems colder, but maybe someone who does can answer for sure.:goodvibes

There should be some photos linked in one of the first page posts, but of course, they are prior to the refurb. The decor is different now - apparently, they have powder blue walls and black tables, etc.:scared:

I'll try to post the link of the old photos, not sure if I'll find those refurb photos - there was only one, and it was mid-renovation, so I didn't save it.

For the bolded part - many of the rooms on floors 4 and all of those on 5 are dormers (except suites). If your requests have "upper floor" listed first, they may not have any non-dormers available, and so they give priority to the part of your request that says you want an upper floor, rather than the part that says non-dormer. If non-dormer is your highest priority, list it first.:flower3:

:hourglass Enjoy your last few days at the beach!

:wave: Safe travels, have a magical vacation.pixiedust: Loved your sweet travel wishes for your fellow DISers, right back atcha!

How is Grace, btw? Much better, I hope.:hug:

Chocolate Pineapple Spears at Main Steet Confectionary sound AWESOME!
Thanks for the tip!:thumbsup2:goodvibes

Mommyrosa2...I'm happy to hear your requests were met after a little inquiring. Thanks for the pic. It's making me want to be back at the Grand.:)
Have a great trip!!:goodvibes

Scott MC...Have a terrific time!pixiedust: Can't wait to hear all about it!

To everyone who is going to the World soon have a fantastic time! I'm still having Disney Depression since we got back and I'm sooo jealous of all of you!!!;):goodvibes

I was wrong, I did save the photo of the refurbed outer lobby - it was linked at the very top of the first post, first page!:rotfl2:

Here is the link, the lobby and hallway photos are near the end of the post. Thanks, Tink rules, for posting these.

BTW - there is a beautiful shot of the Beach Pool, looking out toward the lagoon and VGF, in the DVC section, bottom of first page. Posted by BCV23!

Thanks! I was just curious, I cant seem to view the photos in the link.

Another question.....I would not mind a lagoon view however I dont wan t to stare at the Poly :-)sad1:) or have to turn sideways to see the water. Should I just book TPV to avoid these issues?

You are all so very helpful!:goodvibes

Question about Gaspies -

Are the turkey sandwiches and roast beef sandwiches fresh carved off the bone or coldcuts? Also, I thought they had make your own pasta in addition to the salad...anyone know?

Thanks.

PS. - the allears menu is what I was looking at...there is much more on there than on the website for WDW...anyone know which is correct?

:teeth: Thanks! There is always a possibility of a freak weather pattern, but I would say, no - boots and leggings not required. Good plan regarding the coat. We live in a cold winter area, and if we travel for, say, Spring Break, we have to make sure to bring a coat with us as we leave our car in long term parking. We have gotten off the plane in shorts to be greeted by snow and wind chills!:scared:

Isn't it crazy to start your day in a warm/hot location and fly home to snow/freezing weather lol especially at the airport where peeps are looking at you like .... are you crazy it's 15 degrees outside and you have a sleeveless bright colored dress on with flip flops! Yes burrrrr we also have long termed parked as well and it's one miserable freezing time waiting for the bus to the parking area and then running with suitcases to our freezing iced over car yikes! We lived in Southern California for 48 years and the past 8 yrs. in Utah. We sold our house in California a year ago so we at officially cold weather residents now kinda of, but were pretty used to the winter now and if dressed warm it's actually so fun : )

Just wanted to say Bon Voyage to y'all! We leave tomorrow! We will be at BC from 8/15-8/17, YC from 8/17-8/23 and will finish off at GF from 8/23-8/25. We're also eating at every restaurant at GF except V&A's on this trip. Can't wait! Here's wishing all upcoming travelers a GRAND stay, magic abounding, good weather, low crowds, and loveliness as far as the eye can see! :flower3:

Have a wonderful vacation ... Amazing resorts for sure!!! Love all the GF restaurants you have planned. Have safe travels : )

Wow our time is flying by :eek: why do Holidays go by too fast?? We've been in Ft Lauderdale area since aug 7. Saturday we leave for Universal. Can time slow down now please?

Fun trip !!!! I'm so with you this has to be the quickest summer ever ...

Thanks for the pics of the cabanna. I was also looking for some shots of the view towards the lagoon from the beach and I got that in those pictures as well! We are poly transplants, we spend alot of time at the pool over there and I love the view of the lagoon from the pool, I was curious to see what the view was like from the GF pool. Is there music at the pool area, besides the kids activity music? Thanks for all the advice!!:thumbsup2

I think there is music by the pool for sure ... unless it was music in my head from being so happy I was at GF : ) The pool area and grounds are gorgeous and your going to have a memorable fun vacation! I'm kind of in her reverse situation as you resort wise. My twin granddaughters want to stay at poly next summer so I'm planning a trip with them right now, I haven't stayed at the poly in 20 plus years so it will be different for us and really I'm looking forward to staying again especially since it will be all refurbished and fabulous. So change is a good thing once in awhile : ) Enjoy!!!

Sadly we have had constant thunderstorms this past week. I did manage to grab last month's Super Moon before it clouded over though! Forgive the quality, I'm still mastering night time photography! http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/TinkerbellLiz/media/JulySupermoon_zps342a5ed6.jpg.html http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/TinkerbellLiz/media/Moon2_zpsea847acf.jpg.html Wishing all safe travels and Grand vacations to all who are traveling now or soon. :wave2: I'm looking forward to reports and pictures! ;) Liz

Beautiful pictures Liz : ) I love those super moons and it's such a golden one which makes it extra super!

Sorry everyone I sooooo need to learn to multi quote lol I need to go to dis board 101 and learn how to do it : )

k&a&c'smom Are we going to be back to posting at the same time?? :goodvibes

thanks for the chocolate covered pineapple info...MK first stop..Confectionary!!! lol....Its always about the food....

Liz Beautiful pics...thanks for posting them...:thumbsup2

I know there has been a lot of discussion about RPC using the SL since the magic bands and I really want to address this.
The magic band thing is such a lame excuse as those staying in suites have access to BOTH CLs. Yes, I repeat, both the RPC and the SL concierges.

So, you CAN get your MB programmed for both concierges. We will be staying TPV and then in a suite this November and know this first hand from the RPC staff. (of course, I am me and they have known me for quite a long time, but I doubt they would make something like this up).

Worse case scenario, if your MB doesn't work at the SL, they will let you in and you CAN enjoy that lounge. :goodvibes

I do hope this helps clear things up. :beach:

Thanks for sharing that info! :goodvibes And although it seems you can have your MB specifically programmed to have access to both CL lounges...which is such a nice perk if you are staying in RPC and would like easy access to snack and beverages in SL during a pool day...I think that what the poster wanted to know was ... if you are staying in a standard RPC room do you still have access to SL.... and it seems that access does vary...not my experience but as BC posted has been their experience... where prior to the swipe card and MBs there was consistant access...I think..lol...

We too stay in suites from time to time..and on a more recent stay did not have SL access ...:confused3 but did not request it either...??? Totally confusing ....lol.... :eek:

maggiesmom I think that the meats on those Gaspies sandwiches are of the cold cut varienty..but I am not really sure ..they look like it...but taste pretty good! lol...Never had the make your own pasta..hopefully some one who has will come along and have an answer for you...

MickeyNut and grannieminnie Hey..and all the rest of my fellow GF fans...:wave2:

MommyGina I know you are counting down the days to your DS's Thanksgiving break...and you haven't even dropped him off yet....the time will fly..hang in there my friend....:hug:

Hope that everyone is having a terrific Thursday! :flower3: preppy GF gal who might be moving her trip to December....:eek: lol....

I think there is music by the pool for sure ... unless it was music in my head from being so happy I was at GF : ) The pool area and grounds are gorgeous and your going to have a memorable fun vacation! I'm kind of in her reverse situation as you resort wise. My twin granddaughters want to stay at poly next summer so I'm planning a trip with them right now, I haven't stayed at the poly in 20 plus years so it will be different for us and really I'm looking forward to staying again especially since it will be all refurbished and fabulous. So change is a good thing once in awhile : ) Enjoy!!!

We love the Poly but just cant deal with the threat of construction, DH was the biggest poly fan and he is the one who is saying GF! I think that my kids will love the splash area and I am kinda excited to try something new, for the most part I hate change lol.I will wait to see whats what when the Poly is done but for now so much change over there will make us sad so why not just go somewhere else?

:wave:

k&a&c'smom said:
many of the rooms on floors 4 and all of those on 5 are dormers (except suites). If your requests have "upper floor" listed first, they may not have any non-dormers available, and so they give priority to the part of your request that says you want an upper floor, rather than the part that says non-dormer. If non-dormer is your highest priority, list it first.:flower3:

Hi k&a&c'smom :wave2:

How are you?

Clarification needed :confused3 In the main bldg, std club rooms on the 5th floor are all dormer rooms? :confused:

Thanks much :hug:

:wave: Safe travels, have a magical vacation.pixiedust: Loved your sweet travel wishes for your fellow DISers, right back atcha!

How is Grace, btw? Much better, I hope.:hug:

YES! I posted a bit on the YC/BC board. She was cleared today by the vet. We are very excited!

We love the Poly but just cant deal with the threat of construction, DH was the biggest poly fan and he is the one who is saying GF! I think that my kids will love the splash area and I am kinda excited to try something new, for the most part I hate change lol.I will wait to see whats what when the Poly is done but for now so much change over there will make us sad so why not just go somewhere else?

I totally agree on the lobby waterfall it's sad to see it gone, and I've seen the plan photos and just feels not so fabulous as it was, so that's all sad too. I'm hoping when it's all done it makes sense and looks good. I think of the changes as it more looking like a Hilton Hawaiian resort in the lobby ... as far as the DVC and water villas I have very mixed feelings and mostly not good ones. Oh well time marches on and changes are always part of it sadly. I let the girls pick for next summer and that's where they want to stay, and like you I'm not a fan of changes either. Even for our upcoming November 2014 trip we ended up staying at AKL CL for our something new but I added GF RPCL so we'd have my beloved GF. I'll probably end up doing the same by the time next summer comes and add GF to the end of our poly stay lol I do think your family will love the floridan and the splash area is incredible for the kiddos : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter