2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask because we do have a main building deluxe reserved for September in the main building, IPO said we could be given either a king or queen, and could request which we prefer, though of course there's no guarantee.

By the way, after conflicting info here, asked IPO again about whether deluxe was deluxe or queen and king were different options. Was told, again, supposedly after checking with manager, that with our reservation category we could be assigned either, and it's usually done based on guest preference or, if there was none listed, number of people in party. I'll be sure and report back if that differs in actual practice.

I'm not sure why you're being told you that you could get assigned one or the other because as k&a&c'smom posted, both RPC king deluxe and queen deluxe rooms are bookable categories, so you would have to book which one you want rather than request one or the other.

I don't remember off hand how many sq. feet are in the deluxe with queens, but it is considerably more room than a regular - if I recall, somewhere in the 600s.

You are correct, the deluxe queens are in the 600 sq ft range vs 400 for a standard room :).

You are correct, the deluxe queens are in the 600 sq ft range vs 400 for a standard room :).

I thought that is what I had read, but it's been a day or two.;) Here is some info I just found on Cara Goldsbury's site, Luxury Guide to WDW, regarding the size of the rooms:

Deluxe Rooms at 634 square feet, all located in the Main Building, offer a spacious sitting area within the guest room with a sofa, coffee table, entertainment center, wet bar, writing desk, two chairs and a table, and two queen-size beds (but never a Magic Kingdom view), three on the 4th floor and three more on the 3rd floor (if you want a quieter location request the 3rd floor since 4th floor rooms are found just off the lounge).

Deluxe King Rooms sleeping two are in the Main Building and are privy to the Royal Palm Club, but there are two variations: six turreted rooms with 648 square feet offering a 4-poster bed, bay window sitting area with sofa and easy chair, entertainment armoire, wet bar, small walk-in closet, and oversized tub, but no balcony and only a few offering a semi-view of the Castle; and 440 square feet standard-size guest rooms, all with a marina/Magic Kingdom view, balcony, and whirlpool tub located on the 2nd floor above Gasparilla Grill. Room type is on request only.

If her info is accurate (it is a little outdated, the deluxe king now sleeps 3), there is about 14 sq. foot difference between the queen deluxe and king deluxe.

If I remember correctly, kac, we used to have floorplans of the two different layouts of the queen deluxes in the RPC. Out of the 3 on each floor, two face the courtyard and the other faces the theme pool.:)

Coopersmom, I thought you had stayed in a deluxe queen RPC already?

If I remember correctly, kac, we used to have floorplans of the two different layouts of the queen deluxes in the RPC. Out of the 3 on each floor, two face the courtyard and the other faces the theme pool.:)

Hey, you!:wave: Good to hear from you, how are you doing?!

We do have the floor plans, but someone (ahcupcake, I think) just posted them a few pages back.:) I need to get those on the first page - well, it will have to go on the second page, I don't have much room left on the first, lol.

Coopersmom, I thought you had stayed in a deluxe queen RPC already?

Yes, I have, back in 2011, that's why I was trying to compare, and why we booked deluxe again, because we appreciated the extra space.

I may be getting bad info, or they're just telling me something/offering to do something that isn't standard, but I was told, twice now, by Grand IPO that when you book a deluxe room (and, yes, I booked online so it said "king deluxe"), they'll usually assign king, because that's what they have most of, but you can request queen deluxe but, if there is a request or they need to for space/party size, they can give you a queen deluxe instead. They have that discretion. Again, not a direct quote, but a summary of what I've been told. I know info isn't always reliable, so we'll see when we get there.

So far, I've only said I'd prefer the larger room, not one of the more standard-size honeymoon kings, and they've said that should be no problem. I was asking for more detailed info here to see if I should make a more specific request.

In the course of a phone conversation, they actually asked me what room I was in before, since I told them I'd stayed in a queen deluxe previously, and I said I wasn't sure, but it was one on the same floor as lounge, but across the atrium, with a double balcony/view of the beach and beach pool area. They said they thought it sounded like room 4422. Does that sound correct? They asked if I'd like that room again and that's when we got into the conversation about king vs queen deluxe. The basic gist being: technically, they can assign either because it's the same price/booking category. Anyway, I said I wasn't at all set on having the exact same room, but we did prefer the extra space over the view. Though, having said (and meant) that, if there's a way to get lucky and have both, that would be ideal, obviously.

Now, I'm wondering whether to request one of the king turret rooms and hope to get the few mentioned earlier here that have fireworks views. I know the Queen deluxe we were at previously didn't, since that view direction on the balcony was blocked by Bay Lake Tower.

So, long story longer than it needs to be :) ...

Has anyone confirmed if the main building king deluxe rooms, octagon shape, now have daybeds?

Thanks for all the info so far!

I hear you now. OK, 4422 sounds right on that other queen deluxe #.
Now, not all king deluxes are turrets, mind you, most of them are on the 2nd floor and DO have the daybeds. Thus, that may be where the confusion lies.

BTW, how old is DS? You may just request the turret and then get a rollaway thru CL when you arrive. (Like I've never done that or anything of the sort...;) )

Also, you DO need to change room categories through Guest services via phone call and change to queen deluxe if you want to secure that instead.

HTH :goodvibes

Hey, you!:wave: Good to hear from you, how are you doing?!

We do have the floor plans, but someone (ahcupcake, I think) just posted them a few pages back.:) I need to get those on the first page - well, it will have to go on the second page, I don't have much room left on the first, lol.

Doing ok here!
I pop in here and there and check in on y'all. :thumbsup2
We're finally heading back to RPC in November, TPV! Yea!
So, I'll be hanging out here more now. :cloud9:

Your trip is getting so close :cool1::cool1:.

I wouldn't do OCI as I like to check in at the resort, but that's just me ;). I can't answer for sure whether or not OCI overrides requests you've made on your reservation and with IPO, but I wouldn't think anything would happen if you just did the check in process and didn't check off any other requests. Hopefully someone with experience with OCI will be able to give some input :flower3:

:wave2: Hi mickeynut1

How are you? :hug:

Yes indeedy deedy, our trip is so close, I could just :faint: with excitement :yay:

I'm so scared OCI might negate what we gave to IPO that I might just wait and check in at the resort...no harm in waiting, right?!? Checking in at the resort, gives us more time to enjoy RPC :cloud9:

Have a great day pixiedust:

:wave2: Hi k&a&c'smom

How are you? :flower3:

Hope you're having a GRAND weekend :)

Yes indeedy deedy, our trip is so close, I could just :faint: with excitement :yay:

Thanks much for responding and letting me know about the other OCI reports :eek: that seals the deal ::yes:: we'll forego OCI and check in at the resort... would rather be safe than sorry :thumbsup2

Thanks again for the heads up :hug:

k&a&c'smom said:
:cheer2::cheer2: Almost there, woohoo!

I wish I knew the answer, but I don't. I have read on the Y/BC thread that this is the case - if you make any requests during online check in, it negates those that you have added to your reservation, unless they are the same (e.g., "upper floor" on both). With no recent experience with OCI, I can't be sure either way.

After reading those reports, I decided we will probably skip OCI again this trip - especially after hearing that Grace&CarolinesMom had a similar issue with it that we have had in the past.:rolleyes:

Jrj.....you are too cute and so nice! Yes I would wait too. OCI is way overrated.

Jrj.....you are too cute and so nice! Yes I would wait too. OLI is way overrated.

:wave2: Hi Lulu'sMom

Happy Sunday!! :jumping1:

It's 102 degrees here in Texas, so I'm standing outside and walking around the backyard, in preparation for our September trip to Disney :lmao: nothing like getting my sweat on for the Mouse :rotfl2:

Thanks so much for your kind words...truly appreciated :flower:

Yep, we're going to wait...don't want to take any chances...know what I mean?!?

So what is the best location for tpv and why? I am having a hard time finding photos and videos from TPV. I keep looking at the map and cant decide, we will be using the pools alot.

Also do most of the rooms connect?

Doing ok here!
I pop in here and there and check in on y'all. :thumbsup2
We're finally heading back to RPC in November, TPV! Yea!
So, I'll be hanging out here more now. :cloud9:

Hi Lulu'sMom :wave2:.

Good to "see" you again. Glad things are going well :flower3:.

How exciting to be going back to RPC in November. Hope to see you popping in here often :goodvibes.

:wave2: Hi mickeynut1

How are you? :hug:

I'm so scared OCI might negate what we gave to IPO that I might just wait and check in at the resort...no harm in waiting, right?!? Checking in at the resort, gives us more time to enjoy RPC :cloud9:

Have a great day pixiedust:

Hi there :wave:

Things are good here, thanks....hope everything is well with you :goodvibes.

I wouldn't do OCI, either.....just wait until you get there and check in at the resort, it's more personal that way, IMO ::yes::.

Jrj.....you are too cute and so nice!

I agree :goodvibes.

It's 102 degrees here in Texas

:faint:

So what is the best location for tpv and why? I am having a hard time finding photos and videos from TPV. I keep looking at the map and cant decide, we will be using the pools alot.

Also do most of the rooms connect?

I can't help as we've never stayed TPV, but I'm sure others with experience will be along to give some suggestions :).

((( grouphug)))

Yes it's hot as hello down here in the Lone Star state!

Mickeynut, as far as I'm concerned there's not a bad TPV room at the Grand! Lol

:goodvibes
Hi there :wave:

Things are good here, thanks....hope everything is well with you :goodvibes.

I wouldn't do OCI, either.....just wait until you get there and check in at the resort, it's more personal that way, IMO ::yes::.

Glad to hear all is well... everything is fine here, just trying to stay cool, it's hot as a firecracker out there :firefight

Yep, we agree with a more personal approach and will wait and check in at the resort

I hear you now. OK, 4422 sounds right on that other queen deluxe #.
Now, not all king deluxes are turrets, mind you, most of them are on the 2nd floor and DO have the daybeds. Thus, that may be where the confusion lies.

My impression from earlier thread posts was that many thought all the deluxe rooms would be getting daybeds after the recent room refurb. I just wanted to know if anyone could confirm/deny if that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter