2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going thru the pics on my phone and found this from our anniversary dinner last fall. Look familiar?

Mmmm! DD's fave dessert!:lovestruc

They are where the Boulangerie used to be. It's now a homemade ice cream shop. They coat the brioche in your choice of sauce and then you pick the ice cream and they put it in a nifty panini press thing that crimps the edges. I got one with chocolate sauce and profiterole ice cream. It was heavenly :cloud9:

Thanks, that sounds delicious! Can't wait to check it out.:goodvibes

Will be staying at the Grand in 2015. I am a runner who prefers to run outdoors rather than on a treadmill. Anyone have a good route that is at least 4 miles preferably closer to six miles starting at the Grand? It appears the most likely direction option is to ticket and transportation center through the Poly. Anybody know approximately how for the ticket and transportation center is from the Grand?

We'll be there starting this Saturday, and I will be looking for the same....like to run every morning around 5:30am...
I know there are some nice paths that go to the Polynesian, then TTC, and beyond....so you could go all the way to the Contemporary and back....
I will probably go out the front door and use the roads - bus routes......
then look for some good coffee!!

I'm not sure how early is TOO early for you, but I can share the start time for the cabana is 10 am. Half day is 4 hours and full day is 9 hours ending at 7 pm. There is also an afternoon/evening half day but I'm unsure what the hours are for it. Price for our visit time frame is $149 half day and $219 full day plus taxes.

DH is also considering watercraft rentals now too!

Hope this helps somewhat.

Liz

Your trip will be here before you know it :yay:. I love just relaxing by the pool and taking in the beautiful atmosphere of the resort :cloud9:.

We love renting the boats after breakfast sometimes...the kids like the little ones, my husband and I with friends take out the whaler I think its called...its a pontoon. We also ride the monorail and get off at the Contemporary and have lunch at Contempo, shop, game room. Then off to the Poly...shop, have a cocktail then off to the MK for the day.

Hello, GF friend!:wave: You'll be at the Grand before you know it.:goodvibes

Our favorite things to do on resort day is simply enjoy being there. We like to have b'fast at GFC, grab a chair at the pool, have drinks, hang out. Maybe get a spa treatment or rent Sea Raycers and speed around SSL! Stroll the grounds, have afternoon tea at the Garden View Lounge; listen to the music in the lobby in the late afternoon/evening, sit in Mizner's and have a drink - if it is available, someone reported there are many more guests there now!;) Sit at the boat dock and watch EWP, then Wishes - or, Wishes at the marina, with a snack from Gasparilla's.

So much to do, we can't do it all in one day!

HI Missyrose Nice to see you here! A down day at the resort is always so nice...You can reserve a cabana for the afternoon 3 to 7 I believe...but summer time showers might just interfere with that..??? The pools both have nice umbrella tables ( I would recommend the courtyard pool though) ..so you could elect to order lunch from the pool bar..(where they will serve it to your table)...there is a good selection...and just pass the time enjoying the ambiance of the pretty pool..back ground music.. and the swaying palm trees...maybe a fluffy drink...an overall very nice way to spend a grand afternoon!

Hope that you will come back and share some of the lovely pics that you and Pixel take with us...:thumbsup2

Thanks everyone! I think just lounging around the resort and taking in the sights sounds just delightful! I think the afternoon cabana would be perfect for us if it weren't for those pesky afternoon storms, but renting a boat could definitely be in the cards!

Thanks so much for all your fabulous ideas, I'm definitely filing every last one away because we've got 50 years of VGF trips ahead of us! ;)

I will definitely be back to post photos and if anyone wants to follow along the trip live with Franklin and myself, we've got a Facebook page!

I read this every day to get my daily dose of disney. You ladies are delightfully grand :goodvibes

I agree, this is a great group of posters ::yes::.

Even if a reservation has been dropped into the resort's system, it doesn't mean the RA has actually assigned your room. I really can't tell you what would happen if your room's been assigned and you call after that to have your request amended/added. The room is usually assigned a few days prior to arrival so if you're outside that window, I say go ahead and call.

I always recommend to guests with requests that they ask at check-in if their request(s) were met. Describe your requests to the CM: "high floor," "corner room," "close to the marina" "no connecting door…" because often the CM doesn't see your requests, but they do know the room number, even if your room isn't available yet. They have a (proprietary) room map they can look at to see if your room matches your type/location request. You may have to wait longer for the room or they may have to get a manager, but they may be able to fulfill your request upon check-in or even the next day, if you're willing to switch.

You're always so thoughtful and you're right about your thread hostess doing a great job answering questions and keeping the thread up to date:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thank you for the detailed information on room requests :).

You are very sweet, thank you for the kind words :flower3:. Yes, k&a&c'smom does do a great job here, as do you on your threads :thumbsup2.

ETA..again to say...MickeyNut I will consider that an invite ::yes:: and give it serious consideration!

Sounds like a good plan to me :yay:.

As mickeynut posted, so many club perks are going by the wayside, unfortunately. RPC is, indeed, a costly stay and getting more so by the week, it seems.:eek: We may be priced out, except in very special circumstances, which is a shame, we do love being in the Main Bldg. and the spread out lounge area.

I agree, staying in the main building is amazing. It's hard to beat RPC as the lounge is beautiful and spacious, but I also think the rates are getting a bit up there :rolleyes1.

Thanks everyone! I think just lounging around the resort and taking in the sights sounds just delightful! I think the afternoon cabana would be perfect for us if it weren't for those pesky afternoon storms, but renting a boat could definitely be in the cards!

Thanks so much for all your fabulous ideas, I'm definitely filing every last one away because we've got 50 years of VGF trips ahead of us! ;)

I will definitely be back to post photos and if anyone wants to follow along the trip live with Franklin and myself, we've got a Facebook page!

You're welcome :).

Lounging around the GF is wonderful as it's very relaxing :cloud9:.

Looking forward to seeing all of your pics when you return. How exciting to have 50 years of VGF trips ahead of you. I don't think you could have picked a better resort as your home resort :wizard:.

We'll be there starting this Saturday, and I will be looking for the same....like to run every morning around 5:30am...
I know there are some nice paths that go to the Polynesian, then TTC, and beyond....so you could go all the way to the Contemporary and back....
I will probably go out the front door and use the roads - bus routes......
then look for some good coffee!!

Here is a link to the allears running and walking path page. Check out the various links on that page for many maps!

Lounging around the resort is a wonderful plan.:goodvibes Thanks for the link!

Aww, mickeynut, thanks.:hug: Missed your post last night, don't know how!:confused:

Did anyone get to see the Perseids this morning? I completely forgot, and I was even up before dawn.:upsidedow

love all the descriptions of a resort day, ahhh, are there photos of the cabanas? I will look on the main page.

Morning all! :surfweb:

k&a&c's The only thing that I was looking at this morning was the inside of my eyelids...lol..:rotfl: snoozing away....

MissyRose So many wonderful years of Disney vacations ahead!!! :cloud9:Thanks for the FB link..we love all of your pics!

jennygt Page one has it all! :thumbsup2

tinydancer Making a bee line for France on our next visit to Epcot ....that sounds absolutely heavenly! :lovestruc

McikeyNut :goodvibes

Hope that everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday! :cutie:

Thanks blueskies for answering my post. Yes I have apps on my phone and iPad for knowing the weather wherever we are traveling. I was curious about weather in November and what everyone where's to WDW in November since we've never been during the fall and winter. I'm shopping now before Utah malls only have winter clothes. I guess I'm more into clothes and shoes than the average person since not must response from anyone ... Oh well : )

meema As a weather worrier...who famously packs and repacks before a trip I truly understand....I also like to be stylishly comfortable! ;) lol...

Mid fall can be unpredictable..some days shorts and light weight tops... and some days sweaters and capris...lol..

Personally I think that bermuda length shorts ( I am a fan of the J Crew shorts..)with a short sleeve top and a sweater (just in case! also nice for tangling around the neck...lol..:snooty:) are perfect for day time comfort...as for evenings...just depends on what your plans are..but def warmer clothing or layers are a must...

And don't forget...if there is anything that you "need" Summer Lace always has a nice supply of clothing..some GF specific tops and sweat shirts too...:thumbsup2

BlueSkies - glad you were getting some (probably much needed)sleep!:teeth:

:goodvibes

I didn't see the Perseids this morning either.

I guess we were both in the dark!!:rotfl2: (see what I did there?)

love all the descriptions of a resort day, ahhh, are there photos of the cabanas? I will look on the main page.

I'm pretty sure there is at least a link in the "Recreation" post down near the bottom of the first page. If not, let me know, I'll post the link.:flower3:

Thanks blueskies for answering my post. Yes I have apps on my phone and iPad for knowing the weather wherever we are traveling. I was curious about weather in November and what everyone where's to WDW in November since we've never been during the fall and winter. I'm shopping now before Utah malls only have winter clothes. I guess I'm more into clothes and shoes than the average person since not must response from anyone ... Oh well : )

Hey, I'm someone and I responded!:rotfl: J/K.;)

Hi Blue and k&a&c'smom and the rest of my GF friends. I have to agree with Mickynut that the prices of RPC are high. Hope Disney doesn't price themselves out of business! We know that will never happen!

Getting DS ready to leave for college. He leaves 2 weeks from today. I dread the day.

Jennygt - My apologies, the link was NOT on the first page, it wasn't even on the 2013 FAQ Recreation post, I had to go clear back to the 2012.:blush: So sorry, here is a link to a post with photos of the pools, Beach Pool house with the showers/lockers and the cabanas.

There are some photos of the Beach Pool hair wrap station, for whomever asked about it a few pages back.:flower3:

Hi Blue and k&a&c'smom and the rest of my GF friends. I have to agree with Mickynut that the prices of RPC are high. Hope Disney doesn't price themselves out of business! We know that will never happen!

Getting DS ready to leave for college. He leaves 2 weeks from today. I dread the day.

:wave2: Glad to hear from you! Only 2 weeks to go, poor Mom.:hug: Very exciting for the college-bound son, though, best of luck to him as he starts his college years.pixiedust:

Those RPC prices are shocking, aren't they?!:faint:

All this Cabana talk has me wondering... are they easy to get for the day of? We arrive pretty early. If the weather is nice and our room isn't ready yet a half day cabana might be a good option. Then again if the weather isn't so great I'd rather go shopping at DTD.

BTW, can I just whine (a tiny bit) that Disney is making things decidedly difficult for a commitment-phob like me?

All this Cabana talk has me wondering... are they easy to get for the day of? We arrive pretty early. If the weather is nice and our room isn't ready yet a half day cabana might be a good option. Then again if the weather isn't so great I'd rather go shopping at DTD.

BTW, can I just whine (a tiny bit) that Disney is making things decidedly difficult for a commitment-phob like me?

LOL - yes, you can whine, we understand. I hate making plans I feel I can't get out of if circumstances change.:headache: Which is why I wasn't a huge fan of the cc policy for dining reservations - I get it, but it puts a cramp in my touring.

We have never tried to get a cabana, in advance or day of, but I can say we've often seen them available while we are in the pool. Hopefully, someone with experience attempting day of can answer.:)

Didn't know about them but totally forgot to go out and view the Supermoon!! :sad2:

I know! I did get to see it, but not because I was trying - we were outside with the dogs for one last round in the yard before bedtime and mentioned how big and bright it was. Next day, I heard it was the "Supermoon"!:teeth:

Morning all! :surfweb:

McikeyNut :goodvibes

Hope that everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday! :cutie:

Hope you are having a nice day as well :flower3:.

I guess we were both in the dark!!:rotfl2: (see what I did there?)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Isn't it ridiculous :eek:?? It's sad because although I agree about Disney never pricing them out of business, I think the rising rates will price some people out of staying onsite, especially at the deluxe resorts :(.

Good luck to your DS as he heads off to college in 2 weeks.

Whine away ;). I agree about it being harder to commit to certain things because there's not as much flexibility as there has been in the past :sad2:.

Didn't know about them but totally forgot to go out and view the Supermoon!! :sad2:

Didn't know about that :rolleyes1.

We have never tried to get a cabana, in advance or day of, but I can say we've often seen them available while we are in the pool. Hopefully, someone with experience attempting day of can answer.:)

No personal experience here either, but I too have seen cabanas available when we've been at the pool :).

I know! I did get to see it, but not because I was trying - we were outside with the dogs for one last round in the yard before bedtime and mentioned how big and bright it was. Next day, I heard it was the "Supermoon"!:teeth:

Glad you got to see the Supermoon, even if it was by accident :laughing:.

K&a&c... Yikes missed your post on the weather and what to wear (( sorry hiding )) Thanks for the info. I guess no boots and leggings or coats will be needed with the weather so nice. What I usually do if going to California or Hawaii in the winter is wear my coat in the car to the airport and get dropped off by my daughter and then leave it in the car & then have her bring back a coat when she picks us up ... Coming back on Nov 23rd so it could be anywhere between 32 degrees or 15 degrees when we get home to Utah.
Yeah shipping our dirty clothes home is a must or my husband would worry every time I buy something how it would make it home with us. Thanks again : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter