2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family and I will be at the Grand in 9 days! We are staying Sugar Loaf. We have stayed at WL Club level and will be at BC club level for three nights before Sugar Loaf. I have read that the lounge in SL is a bit crowded and arranged oddly. But how is the food offerings? Particularly breakfast? We are planning most breakfasts to be from the lounge.
Do they have oatmeal in the summer?

Thanks!! Very excited!

:wave: Hey MickeyNut

Hey Blue :wave2:

Double digits!!!! :woohoo::cheer2::woohoo:

:cool1::cool1:

My family and I will be at the Grand in 9 days! We are staying Sugar Loaf. We have stayed at WL Club level and will be at BC club level for three nights before Sugar Loaf. I have read that the lounge in SL is a bit crowded and arranged oddly. But how is the food offerings? Particularly breakfast? We are planning most breakfasts to be from the lounge.

Thanks!! Very excited!

The food offerings are great (they are the same as what's served in RPC). Here is a link from the first page of this thread that provides a great description of GF CL with a list of some of the food offerings:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=51108616&postcount=7

Thanks!! Very excited!

Yay :cool1:!!! We'll be there in 9 days too :cheer2:. We can't wait. We've never tried WL CL but I hear it's wonderful. We'll be doing a split stay GF RPC/CR Atrium CL. I added a couple of extra nights to try out the CR. It will be a surprise for the rest of the family. They are die hard GF RPC fans so will see how the surprise works out ;).

On line check-in at GF: any advantage to it?

We've never done OCI as I prefer to check in at the resort, but I don't think OCI has any advantage over doing it in person at the resort, other than a packet being ready when you get there with (possibly) no waiting in line. With that said, I have read some reports that the OCI line is sometimes longer than the front desk line. Also, from what I understand, your room could possibly be ready earlier if you do OCI and don't have any requests, but that is not a guarantee. Hopefully others will chime in on OCI vs checking in at the resort :).

Yay :cool1:!!! We'll be there in 9 days too :cheer2:. We can't wait. We've never tried WL CL but I hear it's wonderful. We'll be doing a split stay GF RPC/CR Atrium CL. I added a couple of extra nights to try out the CR. It will be a surprise for the rest of the family. They are die hard GF RPC fans so will see how the surprise works out ;).

I hope you have a great trip :yay:.

WL CL was our first CL stay and we loved it (with WL CL running a very close second to RPC for me ;)).

I hope you will report back on both your RPC and CR CL stays. We are hoping to try CR CL sometime next year and while I have been reading nothing but great things about it, it's always nice to read reviews :goodvibes.

I hope you have a great trip :yay:.

WL CL was our first CL stay and we loved it (with WL CL running a very close second to RPC for me ;)).

I hope you will report back on both your RPC and CR CL stays. We are hoping to try CR CL sometime next year and while I have been reading nothing but great things about it, it's always nice to read reviews :goodvibes.

Thanks Mickeynut1! We almost changed our GF RPC reservations to WL CL as I was trying to bring my 2 nieces on this trip and they could accommodate 6 people in Deluxe CL room. But they were not able to make it. Parents didn't feel comfortable sending them alone on airplane. As far as CR CL, I hope the family enjoys it and don't give me a hard time as to "why didn't you just add those extra days at the GF instead?"

I also still haven't told my DH about the refurb and the infamous rug :rotfl2: :crazy2:.

Thanks!! Very excited!

We just stayed in Sugar Loaf and they did have oatmeal for breakfast. They also had ham, cheese, croissants, asst. muffins, sometimes cheese or apple danish:love:, bagels, breads, asst. spreads, and cold cereal.

There was an issue at the evening apps with the lines when we were there. Breakfast wasn't too bad. For a couple of nights they would put out the plates on the other side of the wine and no one could get a plate if someone was getting wine. You would have to wait. I think they got complaints on this because the next night they moved them on the other side and it definitely made the line move faster.

Enjoy your trip and let us know all about it when you return.:goodvibes

ETAHave a Happy Birthday!!

Thanks Mickeynut1! We almost changed our GF RPC reservations to WL CL as I was trying to bring my 2 nieces on this trip and they could accommodate 6 people in Deluxe CL room. But they were not able to make it. Parents didn't feel comfortable sending them alone on airplane. As far as CR CL, I hope the family enjoys it and don't give me a hard time as to "why didn't you just add those extra days at the GF instead?"

I also still haven't told my DH about the refurb and the infamous rug :rotfl2: :crazy2:.

You're welcome :goodvibes

I'm sorry your nieces aren't able to go, but I do understand about the parents not being comfortable putting them on a plane alone ;).

From what I've been reading about CR CL, I think your family will enjoy it :). There have been so many great reports lately that I am very excited about trying it on a future trip. BlueSkies has had several CR CL stays (including a fairly recent trip), so maybe she can give some input :wizard:.

LOL on not having told your DH about the infamous rug.....it would be a shocker for sure upon arrival if he didn't know ahead of time :eek: :laughing:.

Good Morning :wave2: Sorry I've been MIA, stuff going on here.......But I did want to post today to sat that today Aug 8 is the 26th anniversary of our first stay at the GF. Our first of many fab stays there. I still have & wear a watch that was left in the room as a gift........Still no actual trips planned:sad: but I am currently planning my faux Food & Wine trip

Nicely done!

I believe there are 9 king deluxes on the 2nd floor. I hope to post pics of one of them soon:cheer2:
Looking forward to your pics & mini TR/review

There are king deluxe that come in two different styles as well as queen deluxe that come in two different styles. I do not know a lot about the king deluxe. I believe they are all the rooms on the 2nd floor that were once referred to as "honeymoon suites." These rooms are theme park view and come with a whirlpool tub but are the same size as standard rooms.

The second style of king deluxe are scattered on floors 3-5 and are in the turret areas of the resort so no balcony I believe. They have regular tubs but the rooms are much larger with a sitting area.

Now for the queen deluxe, these we have stayed in frequently as they are our favorite category. There are 6 total of these rooms with two different shapes. Sort of a triangle and the other is more square. Looking at where we have stayed I believe they are rooms 4319,4419,4320,4420 and 4322, 4422(these are the triangles) The square has a large garden tub that is very difficult to exit if you are vertically challenged. We much prefer the square shape as it seems much larger.

All the square deluxes overlook the courtyard area while the two triangles over look the Villas/beach pool side. 4320 is my personal favorite. I don't like to be on the lounge floor, I like the square, and I like the courtyard view. I have stayed in all except 4319 and 4419. Prior to the recent refurb these were an occupancy of 4 as there was not a daybed. We always received a rollaway as our children would prefer to sleep alone. I do not know if they are adding a daybed to these. HTH
Thank You for providing the room numbers, I was drawing a blank on them

Hello fellow GF fans...Its been a bit and I am trying to catch up....:surfweb:

Hey ah :goodvibes You are correct on all counts! :thumbsup2 4419 is also a deluxe queen room..only difference is this is a handicap accessible room...

Thanks for posting the different deluxe room configurations...and your descriptions too! :goodvibes A picture is worth a thousand words...Just one thing that I noticed..pre refurb of course...the furniture layout is different than in the pics...the deluxe king rooms both have the small sofa located close to the foot of the bed now...or up until now??? lol.. And as you know the oblong queen deluxe the sofa is more of the center of the room with a sofa table behind it.... Wonder if they will keep that set up after the renovation?

Baler Great descriptions..thank you..that along with ahcupcakes pics should really help to clarify things for those interested in the deluxe rooms in RPC....If I am not mistaken both 4419 and 4319 are both HA rooms... I think that the 43/4420 room is so very nice too....:lovestruc
Hey Blue Thanks for the info about 43/4419 both being HA Queen Deluxe rooms..........You're Welcome! Yeah I think seeing the layouts help too! We stayed in 4420 a few years ago, that was a trip where we supposed to move to AKL after 2 nights(then we were moving back to the GF) but I didn't want to leave the GF so that fab special RPC CM who shall remain nameless here, but you Blue know who it is, switched our reservations and they only had a Queen Deluxe avail so we took it. Stinks that the Queen Deluxe rooms aren't bookable online

And while I'm here, anyone taken the Keys to the Kingdom tour? I've heard mixed reviews -- some friends have said it's too much walking and were disappointed with the "inside scoop", and some absolutely raved.
My DM & I have taken the KTTK tour several times and LOVED it every time. Yes it's a lot of walking but there is also just as many breaks either sitting or standing to talk about stuff. Every tour is different depending on your guide & crowd levels,I say crowd levels because I have heard/read some reviews saying that the group were taken on 3 rides(JC, PoTC & HM) but every.time we took the tour it was only 2 rides. I will say that the first tour of the day is best not fighting as many coming into the park and if you're going in the warmer months it's not quite as hot yet! Also included is lunch at Columbia Harbor House(you pre order you meal when you check in for the tour) and that is about halfway thru it's also a nice 30 min break

Mickeynut, I had to smile when you mentioned those sugar cookies in the GF lounges. Reminded me of how ahcupcake always mentions them! I love 'em too. :love: Not a choc. chip cookie person, so they fit the bill for me!
Hi grannyminnie :wave2: Yes I do love those sugar cookies also love the crackers they serve during the 5 - 7 hors'derves, they're Pepperidge Farm just in case you get a craving for them

~ Theme park happenings... I think that the People Mover is due to reopen any day now!! :dance3: We sure missed that on our last trip...But Astro Orbiter as been delayed a bit..ok with me..not really a fan...lol...and CoP is going down for a week too..wonder what they will be doing with that...this is a classic IMO..but is really in need of some up dating...Maybe they will finally up date that Christmas scene!!!

Hope that everyone in having a fab Friday!!! :earsgirl: preppy GF gal who hopes she is not over on her smilies again...
Aaahhhhhh the people mover a great relaxing ride

We check into the Grand tomorrow! Looking forward to seeing the new decor in RPC.

I do not know how to post pictures to the Dis. Can I can email some iPhone photos for someone else to post?

If that is possible, and anyone is willing, please pm me with am email address. I promise, all I will send is a few RPC photos :)

~Thanks to Trishadono some photos of RPC should be posted tomorrow~
Hope your stay is/was going well and Thank You for sharing your pics!

ahcupcake - thanks for those deluxe room diagrams!:goodvibes Very helpful.
You're Welcome!

I'm reposting this particular picture to confirm what I'm thinking about the 2nd floor "Honeymoon Rooms" Those balconies above the umbrellas are "Those Rooms" ? :) Hopefully I'm not thinking wrong! I pointed those out to DH as possible choices along with the Turret Rooms last week. I hate telling him I was mistaken!

And btw I'm glad I'm not the only one that takes lots of pictures. I'm still sorting through mine...1252 from 4 days!

Liz
Yes those are Deluxe Kings formerly known as the Honeymoon Suites. And the easiest was to access them is to use the pool elevator near Gaspy's

Yay for the double digit dance :banana::woohoo::yay::dance3::cheer2:party::jumping1:

:woohoo: :dance3: :woohoo:

Thanks!! Very excited!

:woohoo: Your trip is almost here!!! I have not stayed in SL since the refurb..but they have now expanded the lounge to have seating on both sides of the lobby area...:thumbsup2 The only thing that I think is kind of odd with the expansion is that the CL desk is now in the middle of the dining area???? :confused3 LOL...

Last summer they did continue to serve oatmeal so I am thinking that its available this summer too...Lots of good breakfast offerings..fresh fruit...breads..muffins...breakfast buns...Enjoy!

All just step from the CY pool...

On line check-in at GF: any advantage to it?

Haven't tried it so far...but I think most people who have seem to find that check in is quicker..

:cheer2: Nine days!!! Sounds like nine is a lucky number around here today!! As MickeyNut said we recently did the same split...just with the CR first...

What a nice surprise for your family! :goodvibes

We had a terrific stay at the CR (not our first stay..but it had been several years.. since we are die hard GF fans too)...the lounge there has such spectacular views :cloud9:....we found ourselves spending more time there watching Wishes..and just relaxing than I thought that we would....very different than RPC ..but still wonderful...I am sure that your family will enjoy it..:goodvibes

Good morning MickeyNut! :surfweb:

And :wave: to all of my fellow GF fans....Hope that you have a fantastic Friday! :cutie:

Having been keeping an eye on this thread, since I'm headed to GF in 2.5 months(!) Anyway, I got to thinking - should I rent a cabana? Anyone have a recent review? Feel like it was worth the money? I'm staying SL club level - so the drinks aren't a big plus for us. I am planning on a dedicated resort day so we will certainly be spending some time at the pool.

Hey ahcupcake :hug: Nice to see you!

Sorry that you have no actual trips planned right now...but hoping that you will soon....:goodvibes I bet they miss you over at V&A's! ;)

Shout out to grannyminne..Miss you around here...Hope all is well....:worried:

Having been keeping an eye on this thread, since I'm headed to GF in 2.5 months(!) Anyway, I got to thinking - should I rent a cabana? Anyone have a recent review? Feel like it was worth the money? I'm staying SL club level - so the drinks aren't a big plus for us. I am planning on a dedicated resort day so we will certainly be spending some time at the pool.

Have not rented a cabana recently (this year) ..but we do from time to time..and it is very enjoyable way to spend a pool day...

But...staying in SL..with it being just steps from the CY pool...you can have a very enjoyable pool day ..with easy access to all that the lounge has to offer...which is one of the perks of being in SL IMO...

Still in a cabana you do have an attendant...cushy comfy pool chairs...an abundance of fresh towels... having beverages and ice replenished through out your stay..so if you are looking for a pool day with that something extra..its a nice experience....:thumbsup2

Good Morning :wave2: Sorry I've been MIA, stuff going on here.......

:wave:

Good morning MickeyNut! :surfweb:

:wave2:

I can't help with an opinion on the cabana as we've never rented one, but wanted to say I hope you have a great trip to the Grand :wizard:.

We are doing Atrium cl then RPC!I think it will be amazingpixiedust:

I will warm it up since my trip is just before yours:flower3:

Well I already warmed it up for you!!! lol...:goodvibes Its a great split! We really enjoyed it...and I def would do it again!

MickeyNut How many times today are we going to end up posting at the same time???? lol...:flower3:

You guys...I'm probably way more excited about this than I should be, but I just scored a dinner ADR for 1900 PF for our arrival night! We originally had an 8:30 ADR for HDDR, which was fine when we were booked for WL (although I still wanted a 6:15 instead of 8:30), but once we moved to GF, I wasn't really looking forward to traveling from resort to resort late at night, after being at the airport at 7am CST. So NOW, we are eating at our resort, and it's a princess meal, which will make my daughter happy. :) I just had to share, b/c finding that ADR made my day! I'm so excited for our stay at the GF!

You guys...I'm probably way more excited about this than I should be, but I just scored a dinner ADR for our arrival night! We originally had an 8:30 ADR for HDDR, which was fine when we were booked for WL (although I still wanted a 6:15 instead of 8:30), but once we moved to GF, I wasn't really looking forward to traveling from resort to resort late at night, after being at the airport at 7am CST. So NOW, we are eating at our resort, and it's a princess meal, which will make my daughter happy. :) I just had to share, b/c finding that ADR made my day! I'm so excited for our stay at the GF!

Congrats on getting what you wanted right at the resort :goodvibes. I totally get the desire to have a dinner ADR that's convenient after a long day of traveling ::yes::.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter