2012 Beach and Yacht FAQ, Part 3- Don't Post Here!!! New Thread, November 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
David C said:
Hi everyone, we are off to the Yacht Club for the first time next Monday so getting excited now.

We have stayed in several Disney Resorts and have always made room requests by contacting the hotel approx 72 hours before arrival, does anyone suggest a better way, I usually ask for a high floor, no connecting door and a corner room.

Thanks

I would call 1-407-WDISNEY and make your request today. When you get to YC, politely ask at check-in of your requests have been met. The CM should be able to tell you about your room, even if it's not ready. If they haven't been met, politely ask of there's a room available that does meet your request. You'll get a yes or no answer, and that'll be that, since it's only a request. Good luck and enjoy YC!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

TeenaS said:
That's very sweet of you to say. Jeanne teaches in one of the lowest income areas of Vegas. Lots of her kids are foster kids and some don't have "real" addresses ... we don't really know where they live. It's very sad.

I provide a "Disney" store for her classroom. They must earn play money (they start with coins and then change half way through the year to paper money - they learn real fast how money works with this store) by getting good grades, doing projects, doing homework, etc. Then at the end of the week they get to go to the store. There are small, medium, large and extra large treasures to buy. I stock it with mostly Disney stuff but sometimes we get lucky and people who are cleaning out their attics, basements, etc. will send her old McDonald toys or beanie babies, etc. to help stock the store. I get lots of Disney items at the dollar store and when Disneystore.com has a sale, I pick up the large and extra large treasures. I also get stuff at our Cast Connection (discontinued items, etc.). These little things are huge for the kids Jeanne teaches. Some don't even get Christmas presents at home. One guest (we call her Fairy Godmother) knits hats for each child for Christmas. The kids wear them all the time and are so excited. It's sometimes the only presents they get.

And one of the best things ever is that because of the hours I volunteer at Jeanne's school as a Disney VoluntEAR, The Walt Disney Company sends her school a $1000 grant each year. Her school uses it to purchase awards for the children so they can get something for reading, math, attendance, etc. Some of the awards are just pencils or book markers, but the kids really love them. I have to say I'm very honored to be able to work at a Company that is so wonderful!

Our children are so darn lucky. We are all so lucky. It's very sad that there are so many children here in the US that will never get to experience WDW or the things we give our kids.

Teena- you are just an amazing person! That is just so awesome that the school gets all that $$$ because of you!!
It really is sad that school is sometimes the safest and most stable environment those kids have. Some of my kids didn't even want to go home.
It makes you really appreciate what you have!!
I know I had said a while back I would PM you about moving to FL but I'm holding out... Hoping something good comes out of the interviews I had last week!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We just found out that Frontier Airlines is starting a Mercer County airport/Orlando run soon - supposedly they have really good air fares.

Now the thing is right now they are only offering friday afternoon and moday morning travel times. I've seen that some folks stay the first night at the MCO airport and then take ME early the next morning - what happens to your luggage? Do you have to get it and take it to the ME bus yourself or does it go out the first night and is held until you get there the next day?

Don't know if we will even decide to fly but just wanted to know what the options are.

Thanks!

We just found out that Frontier Airlines is starting a Mercer County airport/Orlando run soon - supposedly they have really good air fares.

Now the thing is right now they are only offering friday afternoon and moday morning travel times. I've seen that some folks stay the first night at the MCO airport and then take ME early the next morning - what happens to your luggage? Do you have to get it and take it to the ME bus yourself or does it go out the first night and is held until you get there the next day?

Don't know if we will even decide to fly but just wanted to know what the options are.

Thanks!

Hmmm...
I hadn't thought about it other than getting our own luggage. We're actually doing this Saturday night. We're staying at the Hyatt at MCO, and we just assumed that we'd drag our own luggage to the hotel, then down to ME and then into the BC. I'd love to be able to send it to BC the day we land, (Saturday) and have it be there when we actually arrive (Sunday), but since our Disney reservation doesn't actually start until Sunday, I don't think ME will do anything with us until then. Does anyone know more about this?

I'm sorry Robyn for being noncommittal, but my best guess would be that yes, if you stay at MCO after your flight, you will have to schlep your own luggage around. Hope that's somewhat helpful! :wave2:

Hmmm...
I hadn't thought about it other than getting our own luggage. We're actually doing this Saturday night. We're staying at the Hyatt at MCO, and we just assumed that we'd drag our own luggage to the hotel, then down to ME and then into the BC. I'd love to be able to send it to BC the day we land, (Saturday) and have it be there when we actually arrive (Sunday), but since our Disney reservation doesn't actually start until Sunday, I don't think ME will do anything with us until then. Does anyone know more about this?

I'm sorry Robyn for being noncommittal, but my best guess would be that yes, if you stay at MCO after your flight, you will have to schlep your own luggage around. Hope that's somewhat helpful! :wave2:

No problem! I have eleven months to figure it out. If we fly we were thinking of either staying at the MCO Hyatt or just going to POR for one night.

Have a great trip!

Teena have to say it makes me love Disney that little bit more to know they help those less fortunate than us and it's all because of people like yourself:) Have a great time with Jeanne and Lily and I look forward to chatting with you in the lobby at the Beach Club in the years to come:)

Talking about reality. In the elevator when we were leaving the BC, Jeanne was sad obviously. Another couple was in the elevator with their suitcases and Jeanne said how horrible the end of vacations were. She also said "back to reality". The man said, "where are you from?" Jeanne said "Las Vegas". The man said "Not sure what your definition of reality is" and the woman said "I don't feel sorry for you at all". If they really knew what the real Vegas was like!!

Know of what you speak only too well. DW took the DD back to the airport last weekend so she can get ready for her 2nd grade class in Vegas. It may be a fun place to visit, but it's really not a fun place to make a living if your family is 2,000 miles away.

Hmmm...

We are doing this next friday and also just assumed we would be getting our luggage ourselves.

A

We are 4.5 hours away from WDW, but have had a little bumpy start. Yesterday, my one son spiked a fever, so we started him on tylenol. After inspection of his mouth, I saw that he has another tooth popping through, so I am hoping his fever is because of that. He unfortunately did not sleep well in our over night journey, so I only managed to get 2.5 hours of broken sleep after driving for 5 hours. My DH has taken the responsibility of driving the rest of the way. We stopped at a Denny's in SC for breakfast around 7, and after Finding out Trevor's fever was up to 103, we decided to give him some Advil. Well, 10 minutes later he decided to projectile vomit all over himself, me, and his brother. Our trip has had an eventful start, but at least we are almost to Disney and only one kid is sick!

Sorry about your rough start! Hopefully it's just the new tooth and he is back to his self very soon!!
My DS began throwing up this morning at 5:00 a.m.:worried: We are due to fly out tomorrow morning!! I think (hope/pray) he just ate something that didn't agree with him. He doesn't have a fever but we are keeping a close eye on him today. He just turned 10 and this will be only the 4th time he's ever thrown up. He's gone about 4 hours now since the last episode but his stomach is still very crampy. I've been sitting here at work (shhh, don't tell them I'm on the DIS) calling home to get updates from my MIL. Poor guy was crying this morning when I was getting ready to leave because he didn't want me to go to work - this was a morning he wanted to snuggle with mom -it broke my heart to leave. The boss said I could leave early so I will be heading home soon though. Hopefully he is feeling better tomorrow for our big day!!

Teena, I'm in a suburban Catholic high school, so we don't do fundraising or ask for donations.

But I'm also active on a teacher's forum, and have learned a thing or two there.

Have Jeannie decide on some of what she needs and place a request on http://www.donorschoose.org/ She can place multiple requests I think. But the best requests seem to be those that are very specific, not too long winded, and not for too much-- I think the donors like to feel like they're making a real difference.

There are probably some rules and regulations, but I bet her treasure chest would get filled up quickly, or that all her kids would have a new book or whatever for Christmas.

Also, if Panera bread is big in Las Vegas, have her contact them for a donation. When I was fundraising for my own kids' nursery school, Panera was very generous about donating "free cookie" coupons.

Thank you so much. I will pass this on to Jeanne!!

Teena: Glad Disney helps out that way. How big is Jeanne's class? I think she teaches first grade, is that right?

Teena: Glad Disney helps out that way. How big is Jeanne's class? I think she teaches first grade, is that right?

This year is her first year of First Grade. She will have the children for two years, teaching them first and second grades. Last year her class averaged around 23. One day you get a new student and the next a student just doesn't show up and is gone. Once while I was there helping, she got a new student with no records at all. When asked, he couldn't even tell us or wouldn't tell us if he had ever been in a school before. He was from a foster home ... someone had dropped him off at one of the "safe haven places" in Vegas with nothing at all. They guessed his age and gave him to Jeanne. After the third day we got him to talk a little but he couldn't read or anything. He looked about 7-8 years old. Jeanne had him for about a month and he just disappeared, never showed up again.

We'll get the class roster Sunday night ... the night before school starts and then there will be constant changes that first week of school. Last year we got a new child every day the first week of school. Her classroom last year legally was allowed to have 15 children in it. Once she was over 26. You couldn't move. This year she is moving into the regular building. Jeanne and I get to move everything ourselves from the out building where her old classroom was to the new room. Her new room is larger thank goodness!

TeenaS said:
This year is her first year of First Grade. She will have the children for two years, teaching them first and second grades. Last year her class averaged around 23. One day you get a new student and the next a student just doesn't show up and is gone. Once while I was there helping, she got a new student with no records at all. When asked, he couldn't even tell us or wouldn't tell us if he had ever been in a school before. He was from a foster home ... someone had dropped him off at one of the "safe haven places" in Vegas with nothing at all. They guessed his age and gave him to Jeanne. After the third day we got him to talk a little but he couldn't read or anything. He looked about 7-8 years old. Jeanne had him for about a month and he just disappeared, never showed up again.

We'll get the class roster Sunday night ... the night before school starts and then there will be constant changes that first week of school. Last year we got a new child every day the first week of school. Her classroom last year legally was allowed to have 15 children in it. Once she was over 26. You couldn't move. This year she is moving into the regular building. Jeanne and I get to move everything ourselves from the out building where her old classroom was to the new room. Her new room is larger thank goodness!

That's sssooooo sad. Makes you realize how lucky we all are.

We just stayed in one of the RGRs at POR in April. We really liked them! The new furnishings are very warm and cozy. We would definitely stay there again!

Thank you for this!! I think our stay at POR won't be too bad but I am really concerned about the LM room at AoA. The kids are much bigger than they were the last time we were at a value so the double beds may prove to be a bit too small! But it's only for a couple of nights so I am sure we will be just fine. Thinking positive!:thumbsup2

Is there anyone there between now and next Wednesday that can check something for me? I was planning to order a variety pack from Babycakes delivered to my room to hold me over till I could get to Downtown Disney. Rumor on the allergy threads is that they now have Babycakes at the Marketplace. Would someone mind checking and letting me know what specifically they have?

Thanks

Amy (Gluten and Dairy allergic and a huge fan of Babycakes NYC)

DjdBrit said:
Arriving at the Yacht Club on Monday morning!!!! Super excited:)

I'd be excited too! I hope you will end up loving the YC as much as I do.

LOOK! See the YC really is the 'darkside'.:rotfl:

You know whats even funnier is I snapped a pic of the BC Villas at night and it looks really nice and pretty. And my camera typically doesn't take pictures well at night yet this one came through...hmm...

You know it will get even worse when you have to write over the lamination with different colored sharpies because the sharpie that you used to make the first correction is now no longer correct. Then you get to the label stage where you are just sticking blank labels over strategic spots in your laminated plan.

A sure sign of desperation is when you start to cut out spots on the plan and transplant fresh paper on those spots. This then requires a reapplication of a laminated layer, which is 2 layers deep in some spots and one layer deep in others.

The best part comes moments before you must leave for the airport, when after working on revising the plan for the "final" time (instead of packing!) you discover that the printer is out of ink. Usually your family drags you out of the house at this moment, tosses you in the trunk and listens to you scream "The plan!!! The PLAN!!!!" until you pass out from a lack of oxygen.

Your reward for all this is the lack of underwear that you must endure because you were too busy planning and laminating, sharpie-ing and labeling.

Somewhere there is a place for people like us. I think it's name is Walt Disney World.....

~NM

I have found some stickers in DD's book that I have used to cover the laminate and then covered them with sellotape :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter