• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2008 DDP Changes-CHANGING EATING HABITS!

I wonder how much more folks will be willing to spend for that choice. Would it be worth a $3 per day increase in price for the option? That's probably what it would cost in today's dollars (so if they do it for 2009, it would probably be more than that).

I too, am upset about the changes to the regular dining plan. I can't believe they are doing away with the appetizers and now we have to pay tips and they only reduced it $1. We loved not having to carry money with us for meals!!!

Therefore, we will not be doing the dining plan next trip. We are actually gonna try the deluxe plan. Unfortunately, we'll still have to carry money for tips, but at least we get appetizers and can try new places.

I suspect that this is very likely one of the desired results Disney was aiming for: Folks deciding to go with the Deluxe Dining Plan.

Have a great time.

I can't wait to see how this goes over in 2008. I agree with bicker that those smart marketing folks at Disney knew they would get people to enjoy the convenience of the DDP and then change to a more profitable set of rules.

We will do DDP for the our 2 day stay in November but not our 9 day stay in January. We will get the DDE for that trip. I believe Disney will see a great drop off in DDP for 2008. People like the gratuity included portion more than an appetizer and that is what will keep most people from adding DDP. I'd be betting Disney sweetens DDP for 2009 but not back to the 2007 version.

Scott

We will do the DDP for our upcoming trip, but it will be the last one. I will go back to OOP dining. :)

I think when Disney sees the drop in ddp and the drop in on site bookings they will rethink this change. For me it still is fine not awesome like it was. Let's face it you don't have to tip and an entree and a dessert is plenty. I'm not saying I wouldn't tip but I don't have to!!

Unfortuantely, I don't think this will make a difference, for several reasons.

As hard as it is to admit, Disney is all about making money. They are a corporation. They were not making as much on food due to the dining plan. Disney does not care how happy people are as long as they are turning a profit. There are many people who could care less about the dining plan or do not know about it, so, Disney will still make money from those people.

Everybody complained about Disney waiter service/quality being so terrible due to the DDP and waiters knowing they will get their tip regardless of how well or poorly they do their job. Well, Disney is doing something about that. Tips are not included, now the waiters will get paid based upon their service and performance.

As of January 2008, if there are 6 or more in the party, or they're DDE members, then yes, they will be.

So if you are a DDE member, the tip is added as well? We are thinking about getting the card for our trip in January. I really don't like when the tip is added because I tend to tip more than they usually add, but rarely (very rarely) I would tip less for really lousy service. Also, I usually only tip 12-15% for buffets, but 20% or more for table service.

I truly wonder if the tip exclusion is a result of all the complaints Disney received about poor wait staff service. Most of the time (on our September trip) our service was really good, sometimes even excellent, however, we did have one Epcot meal that I would have had a hard time tipping much for, as the service was poor (no drink refills, not stopping back, curtly answering questions). It might not be the reason, just a guess!

I truly wonder if the tip exclusion is a result of all the complaints Disney received about poor wait staff service. Most of the time (on our September trip) our service was really good, sometimes even excellent, however, we did have one Epcot meal that I would have had a hard time tipping much for, as the service was poor (no drink refills, not stopping back, curtly answering questions). It might not be the reason, just a guess!

Nahh...it was a monetary decision, it was simply too much money for them to dish out and not getting enough back. Our tip for California Grill was $60 bucks! However, it was two credits and we are all on the adult plan now (you know Mickey Math and how your children become adults when they go to Disney World ;) )

Disney does not care how happy people are as long as they are turning a profit.
I think this misses the point: Disney will still make people happy despite the changes to the Dining Plan, and that's why they'll continue to turn a profit.

I know the changes in the DP are going to change our eating habits. I'm thinking about renting DVC points next year (if I can talk DH into WDW again) and eating many of our meals in our room. We will also eat offsite more often. The nice thing is, we can purchase tickets wherever we want and not feel tied to WDW for the whole trip.

I would love to be able to see the numbers at Disney. The DP was a great way to keep people captive onsite. We didn't visit the beach or other Orlando parks when we had the DP because I didn't want to waste our credits, and honestly it was just easier to stay at WDW the whole time. We also tipped above the 18% the wait staff gets, and ordered drinks at meals. It seems like many people are not going to use the new DP and I wonder how that will effect WDWs profit??

They're usually pretty-good about exacting every last penny out of us that they can, so I suspect they'll see improved profits from these changes.

Don't you worry about them -- they'll be fine! :)

I know the changes in the DP are going to change our eating habits. I'm thinking about renting DVC points next year (if I can talk DH into WDW again) and eating many of our meals in our room. We will also eat offsite more often. The nice thing is, we can purchase tickets wherever we want and not feel tied to WDW for the whole trip.

I would love to be able to see the numbers at Disney. The DP was a great way to keep people captive onsite. We didn't visit the beach or other Orlando parks when we had the DP because I didn't want to waste our credits, and honestly it was just easier to stay at WDW the whole time. We also tipped above the 18% the wait staff gets, and ordered drinks at meals. It seems like many people are not going to use the new DP and I wonder how that will effect WDWs profit??

We are DVC members too and just returned from WDW and used the DDP. The food was great. We ate at Le Cellier, Chefs de France, Biergarten, Jiko, Boma, Olivias, Donald's Breakfastsauras, Spoodles, & Sci-Fi Dine. and various counter services. Only the Sci-Fi Dine seemed substandard to me. We thouroughly enjoyed it but will not purchase the DDP for our trip in 2008. We will make use of the kitchen in our DVC villa and put our 3 teen boys to work. LOL:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

For people like us who never did buy the DDP it will be a relief to finally get into some of our favorite WDW restaurants without having to plan 120 days out. We have been enjoying a lot of the off site restaurants for the last several years.

WDW also received a lot of complaints from guests who went to WDW and were unable to actually enjoy any TS meals due to full capacity.

It will be interesting to see how everything works out next year.

For people like us who never did buy the DDP it will be a relief to finally get into some of our favorite WDW restaurants without having to plan 120 days out. We have been enjoying a lot of the off site restaurants for the last several years.

WDW also received a lot of complaints from guests who went to WDW and were unable to actually enjoy any TS meals due to full capacity.

It will be interesting to see how everything works out next year.

I know Le Cellier is very hard to get into unless you make a ressie many months out. While we were waiting to be seated, they turned away more than 10 families/couples who were walkins that hadn't made a reservation. Even a castmember at AKV said she had been trying to get a reservation at Le Cellier during the last couple months and had been unsuccessful. It will be interesting to see if that eases up for Le Cellier in 2008.

It will be interesting to see if there is a drop in people using DDP in 2008. You are right that an entree and dessert is plenty but I'd still like to see a choice between appetizer and dessert. There are plenty people out there that cannot have sugar.

I would also like to see a choice between an appetizer and dessert. I wonder if Disney will do any tweaking of the plan before 2008 begins:rolleyes:

I know Le Cellier is very hard to get into unless you make a ressie many months out. While we were waiting to be seated, they turned away more than 10 families/couples who were walkins that hadn't made a reservation. Even a castmember at AKV said she had been trying to get a reservation at Le Cellier during the last couple months and had been unsuccessful. It will be interesting to see if that eases up for Le Cellier in 2008.

I don't think that Le Cellier will change much in 2008. I called at exactly 7AM at 180 days out and struggled to get a reservation for 8 that wasn't at 8:45 pm. I was able to get earlier only by (at their suggestion) making two reservations under two different names, so we have two tables of four.

I don't know if we will see a lot of changes in 2008 or if the changes will be more noticible in 2009, but I do think that more families will choose to revert back to their original dining habits pre DDP, which will open up more dining venues, especially places that require 2 TS credits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter