2003 trip planning on a budget

meowchi

Earning My Ears
I am interested in going to Disney sometime next summer and I have 3 children, they will be 10-14. I want to stay on Disney property but they only allow 4 to a room. How can I do this with my family? I wish Disney would cater to some of the bigger families without it costing me 4000.00 to go. We had to stay off site last year and that cost us 3500.00 to go. Is there any help for us?

the rooms at port orleans riverside in alligator bayou have a trundle bed so that there is room for 5. we stayed there last november and loved it. you should try there. hope this helps. also we have a house rented for june, 2003 that is 6 bedrooms with a pool and hot tub that is costing us $1350 for the week. not too bad if you wanted to try staying off site.

I agree with meowchi. I too have a family of 5. It is so hard to get a room to accomadate 5. My kids will be 10,15 and 16 1/2 when we go next year. We went last year off season and stayed off site and it cost us $4200. We'd love to stay on site but it is so expensive. We'll be going next April 2003 and staying off site again but half the price for the hotel with cont. breakfast. I wish too that Disney would cater to larger families and a decent price range. Just my 2 cents.

What a nightmare it is for a family of five. I just love it when they say "Oh you will need 2 rooms." I can bearly afford the one room, never mind two. We also stayed at POR and we liked the property very much. The only negative is that the room is incredibly small and you have teenagers. I had an 8, 6 & 3 year old last year and I thought things were tight. After our trip last year, we decided to invest in DVC. The investment was very tough for us financially, but we believe it will be well worth it in the long run. We just can't see ourselves in one hotel room when the kids get older. We can now stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom villa. Are you aware that you can rent DVC points from an owner and stay at the properties for almost 50% of the rack rate as long as it is not a Friday or Saturday night. The DVC studios only accomodate 4, but Disney will not stop you from having 5 in a DVC studio. However, they will not give you extra bedding or a cot, so you would need a sleeping bag. Or you could just rent out a suite. If you are interested check out the DVC Rent/Trade board.

Another option is to stay at the Fort Wilderness cabins. My aunt and her family of 5 stayed there last year and really enjoyed it. There is a full kitchen, bedroom with bunk beds and full bed and pull down full (or maybe queen?) bed in the living room. There was also a television in the bedroom and living room.

The extra space came in very handy for them and having the full kitchen helped them save money on meals. With an Annual Pass rate (she got her youngest an annual pass just for the savings on the room) she paid about $148/night (including tax) for the cabin during early December.

Some of the deluxe hotels can also accommodate 5 and there are some good deals on them. However, you are still all sharing one room which can get tight.

Good luck,

I'm not sure if they have adjoing rooms but what about 2 rooms at the all stars. It seems you would be paying the same for 2 rooms opposed to the one at POR, plus you have twice as much room.

An other option off site but so close it's almost onsite is
Holiday Inn Family Suites Plus FREE Breakfast every morning!
Here is the link
http://www.hifamilysuites.com/index.html?
Accommodates 6 People
Parlor Area
• Kitchenette with mini-refrigerator
• Microwave
• Coffee maker
• 25" television
• Pull out sleeper sofa[2 people]
• Rocking chair
• Video cassette player
• 2-line cordless phone
• Game table
• Safe

Private Bedroom[WITH A DOOR!!]
• King size bed[2 people]
• 25" television
• Combination vanity/work station
with separate modem line
• Lighted make-up mirror and hair dryer
• Iron & Board

Themed kids' semi-private bedroom with privacy curtain
• Bunk beds & Jr. pullout bed[3 people]
• 20" television
• Video player
• Clock/Radio
• Fun phone
• Nintendo 64 system,GAMES $5. per 24 hrs
• CD/cassette player
• Activity table with chairs
• Ceiling fan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter