2 Rooms or 1 at ASMovies?

FairyDustSeeker

Earning My Ears
Woooooo Hooooooo - My family will be visiting WDW for the first time this year! We are a family of four - DH, DS9, DD6 and myself. DH and I are so excited to surprise the kids with this trip around the holidays. We are planning 8 nights/9 days at ASMovies for the theming. This is actually our first family vacation ever. DH and I are a little nervous that we may be pressed for space and are debating whether to book 1 room for the 4 of us, or 2 adjoining rooms. Pros of 2 rooms are more space, 2 TVs, TV can be on in one room while someone is resting in the other, 2 bathrooms, everyone gets their own bed. Ahhhhh. Cons - Double the cost. Since this is a want rather than a need, we're trying to guage whether the extra space is worth the extra expense. Really . . . how much time will we actually spend in our room? Any guidance from fellow DISers would be greatly appreciated! TIA.

We stayed at ASMo for our 2nd trip. We spent very little time in our room. It was me, DH, DD3, and DS7.

I wish we had planned the one room/4 people thing a little better. It took us half our trip to figure it all out and it still didn't work that great.

One bathroom was a big problem. We bathed the kids at night, and us in the morning, but either way it took a lot of time. Especially with the one small sink area. At night, the kids would be exhausted, and they would have to take turns for thier bath.

We did bring a blow up mattress which worked well. DS8 slept on it, DD3 was still (barely) small enough for the pack n play, and DH and I each had our own bed. (Doubles are SMALL when you have a 6'2" hubby...)

So, by the time we had the mattress, pack n play, stroller and fridge in there, it was WAY too small. Even for "just sleeping" as some people put it. The getting ready and going to bed times were hard.

I don't know if your kids have different bedtimes, but mine are far apart enough to need them. Finally we figured out that DH and DS would go swim or go to the arcade. I would surf the Internet while DD went to sleep.

Late nights were bad, when everyone went to sleep at the same time. The kids were so wound up they would giggle for an hour. I won't even go in to some of the words that came out of my mouth.:scared1:

So, we have decided to do the family suites at All Star Music suites for our next trip. It's like two rooms put together, plus a kitchenette. It has a door between the bedroom and living room, and two bathrooms. Those were my main gripes with the one room, so my DH and figure it's worth the cost.

So, if you have the $$ for two rooms, I say go for it. ESPECIALLY since you are staying so long.

We stayed twice 4 to a room, and it is very tight. If you can swing two rooms I would highly recommend it. Have a great trip.

Another con of the two room idea... connecting rooms are not a bookable category and are only a request. So it is possible the rooms will not be connecting and maybe not even next to each other. It is always a possibility so you need to take that into account.

Another con of the two room idea... connecting rooms are not a bookable category and are only a request. So it is possible the rooms will not be connecting and maybe not even next to each other. It is always a possibility so you need to take that into account.

Yes, it is 'only' a request.... BUT if you don't get your request on initial check in, you can bet that by day 2 ... somewhere in that huge resort someone will be checking out and 2 connecting rooms will become available. Been there, done that. (if you don't get connecting rooms initially, calmly and politely speak with a manager who can make sure you are moved the following day... just don't unpack much for that first night)

The 2 rooms are a lifesaver .... everyone in our family sleeps sooo much better having that extra space and extra bit of quiet....

Will the kids be willing to sleep together?

We always do all four in a room with a 4 and 19 year old with no issues.

Rather than two rooms that might not connect, consider a larger deluxe room or the FW cabins and maybe a 1 bedroom villa.

WL has rooms with bunk beds so each kids gets his own bed and you and hubby get a queen instead of a double.

If your kids will share a bed, I would say get one room. It will be tight but totally doable.

Quick showers to wash the kids at night. It might take some figuring it out for the morning routine but it is possible;)

We went with four - two adults, two adult sized teens - and had no problem. We briefly considered two rooms, but frankly felt it was a bit much to pay for the reasons we considered it.:-)banana:)

I was prepared for small, so I was pleasantly surprised. We had plenty of room. We were there six nights and no one said boo about it.

If we stay at ASM....I am a single mom and I bring 3 teens with me, most often. My girls sleep together and my son sleeps on a blow up mattress. My girls shower at night. My son showers 15 times a day. We have the tiny fridge, a wheelchair, and we bring food for my son's special diet.
We have outgrown a room at ASM. I usually stay off property in a room with a kitchen. It costs less, I can cook my own breakfast, and is much easier than waiting for a bus with the room or a working lift for a wheelchair. I wish I could afford to stay in a cabin or a suite.
I say if you can afford the extra room, get it. I hate being uncomfortable on vacation.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences - so helpful! I spoke with a TA regarding the adjoining rooms issue with 2 adults and 2 children. She said if she books both rooms on one reservation, ASM will guarantee adjoining rooms due to the ages in our party. She explained it has to do with the numbers of adults and kids on the reservation and the fact that the rooms will be booked with one adult per room. She described the adjoining room policy as this: if you have a group of adults with 2 adults in one room and another adult in the other room, they will not guarantee adjoining rooms. In our case, she would book 2 rooms with only 2 adults, so it’s a guarantee. Not sure I follow the logic exactly, but as long as the rooms are adjoining, I'm happy!

When we were planning our first trip we were originally going to stay at a value. Then I came across Disney themed rental homes that are so close to Disney and so cheap! We ended up cancelling our reservation and staying at a townhome in Windsor Hills. It was literally faster to drive from our driveway to the parks than it was to wait for a bus to the park. The house was 105.00 per night and was beautiful. 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, washer/dryer, private enclosed pool in the back off the living room (the kids LOVED it), full kitchen, living room. The kids bedroom was twin beds and completely decorated Disney, even their bathroom was Disney. It was so nice to come back at the end of the day and have room to chill. We never cooked, but the kitchen came in handy for snacks and stuff.

The house we choose can be found at storytimeorlandorental.com I was nervous because I had never rented a house before but it was really easy and everything went very smoothly.

we are a family of four (me, DH, DD14 and DS10) and we always stay in the value resorts because we get 2 rooms. We have done this for years and have always been told that asking for connecting rooms is noted as a request but cannot be guaranteed. We have never had an issue getting connecting rooms. For us, spending the money on 2 rooms is the best thing we could do for everyones sanity. The 2 T.V.'s are great so we don't have to watch cartoons or other Disney channel shows. 2 bathrooms are a huge time saver, even if the kids shower the night before it is still better for us to have both bathrooms. Everyone has their own bed because the last thing I want after a very long day at the parks is to be crammed into a double bed with DH or one of the kids. My favorite thing of all about the 2 rooms is that we don't have to go to bed at the same time as the kids (this was especially true when the kids were very little).

I understand that many people feel that 2 rooms aren't necessary because you really don't spend much time in the room but, for us having that extra space so that we all aren't on top of each other really does make a difference. We have tried the one room thing (Pop Century-Feb. 2010) because we were trying to be a bit more budget conscience but, it just doesn't work well for us.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences - so helpful! I spoke with a TA regarding the adjoining rooms issue with 2 adults and 2 children. She said if she books both rooms on one reservation, ASM will guarantee adjoining rooms due to the ages in our party. She explained it has to do with the numbers of adults and kids on the reservation and the fact that the rooms will be booked with one adult per room. She described the adjoining room policy as this: if you have a group of adults with 2 adults in one room and another adult in the other room, they will not guarantee adjoining rooms. In our case, she would book 2 rooms with only 2 adults, so it’s a guarantee. Not sure I follow the logic exactly, but as long as the rooms are adjoining, I'm happy!

They are NOT guaranteed. I have spent enough years on these boards to know this. Just ask on the resort boards and you will get the real information. There was even a situation with a SINGLE adult and multiple children who did not get their "guaranteed" connecting rooms. With two adults, Disney can tell you to simply split up between the rooms. If Disney can not guarantee on a reservation with only one adult, they will not do so with two.

That said, it is very rare to not get your requests. It happens but Disney will do their best to help you out. I just do not want you to get your hopes up based off of incorrect information. Like I said, just ask on the resort boards.

I don't know if the policy changed but..... I just added 3 nights at ASMo and booked direct with Disney Travel. I was told it was guaranteed since kids are under 18 and when I got my confirmation it says "guaranteed connecting rooms". Also, when booking with AAA in past years was told it is guaranteed with kids. this "request" has always been honored in our last 10 years of trips. I would def do the 2 rooms if you can, either way you're gonna have a great time!

We've stayed 5 in a value room before (one under 3), and it was a little tight, but we also had a double stroller and a single stroller. We didn't have a problem with bedtime, because our kids were so exhausted, they would fall asleep easily. More room is definitely better, but if I were going to spend the money on 2 value rooms, then I would spend the money on a deluxe resort for convenience to the parks and hope for a pin code.

The last 2 times, my family of 4 has stayed in a value resort with 2 connecting rooms. We stay in 1 room for 1 night at Universal (so we could get Express pass access) and even though the room was much nicer, I really preferred having 2 bathrooms and everyone having their own space with the 2 rooms. 2 rooms at a value was barely more than 1 room at a moderate too which was surprising to me. It was $82 a night per room in a value so $164 vs $149 a night per a moderate.

We just stayed 4 to a room in ASMusic and while it was doable - 2 rooms would have been sooooo much nicer!! Actually when we got down there we tried to add on a connecting room but they were sold out due to several group events. I think the two rooms will make the trip more relaxing for all - two bathrooms, two tv's, a parents room and a kids room for separate betimes, more drawers and hanger space. Just overall a more relaxed vacation!

We have always stayed in values because of the cost. How much time do you spend in the room? For us it is really just a "crash pad" where we sleep and shower because we are always at the parks. Is it crowded? Yes, but doable and much more affordable for us.

We do 4 to a value room and our fine. Right now my girls are young 6 and 3. So space isn't really a issue. Yes it is a little tightwe go for 10 days but that is just beacuse of the stuff we bring with us. My girls share a bed and our fine. I can see us doing 2 rooms when they get older so they have there own bathroom. But fir now we are fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter