2 broke college girls...

kseg95

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone!

This coming summer, my friend and I are planning on a disney trip. Around a week, maybe a bit shorter. We've both been previously in the past. Ive stayed at moderates, and shes been to all 3.

We're both in college and dont have a TON of extra money to spend on this trip. Were thinking of splitting the room costs and potentially dining plan costs. We havent done the math yet however. Just wondering if you had any tips on how to squeeze the best time out of a trip with only a bit of money!

Hi I did this same kind of trip with my niece who is an adult It was a blast just two girls. We did it on the cheap. Stayed at pop during free dining and did not spend a dime on food. We flew midweek and we raised all the money before we left. I did a detailed trip report including all cost. It is on this site and mouse planet. It's called auntie Shows niece the world September 22-30 2010 check it out I think it may help. I hope you can do it and have as much fun as we did.

If you are going by car by all means get groceries and your food budget will be helped. With no car then try to fit some food in your luggage like nuts, protein bars, popcorn and so forth. There's a microwave in the food courts for public use.

Get to the resort early; so, you can enjoy your arrival day in a park longer. The same is true on your departure day; leave later; so, you can spend more time in the park. You spend money for the resort; so, enjoy the all the time you can in the parks.

Share meals at the parks/resorts. There are some larger meals like Cosmic Ray's in MK that offer a rib and chicken combination. Learn to drink tap water.

Stick with basic park tickets; you don't need hoppers. Plan your days with extra magic hours; so, you maximize your time in the parks. Also, don't sleep in; you lose park time sleeping in your room.

Share meals at the parks/resorts. There are some larger meals like Cosmic Ray's in MK that offer a rib and chicken combination. Learn to drink tap water..

Just wanted to chime in on the water suggestion.. If you're not a big water person you can bring from home those little koolaid or crystal light packets to add to the water..

Consider staying off property. There are some very nice hotels in the Downtown Disney area. You can get some great deals with breakfast and included. Last year before our cruise we stayed at the Doubletree for one night. All the rooms are suites, they gave us free breakfast and it was about a 1/4 mile walk to DTD.

Check out the mousesaver.com site for hotel deals and money saving tips.

Wait a minute. If you are in college, why not consider the Disney College Program? There's a whole board on DCP. That's what I do if I was in college again. :scratchin
Don't miss the opportunity like so many of us have. :(

Wait a minute. If you are in college, why not consider the Disney College Program? There's a whole board on DCP. That's what I do if I was in college again. :scratchin
Don't miss the opportunity like so many of us have. :(

:thumbsup2
Or try the POP with the free dining plan if you can go during that time but probably your college will have started by then. You can get free transportation if you are flying and not have to worry about driving and parking fees if you stay onsite.

I have already been talking to my 14 year old about the college program!;)

Are you driving or flying? That piece of info will help us tailor our advice to your situation.

if you're driving down stay off site....cheaper rooms and you can eat some meals there everyday too.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

I just did a bit of math and for 7 days, with a base ticket, no park hopper and the dining plan it comes to about $1,100.00 a piece. (Staying in a preferred room at POP) Of course thats no plane tickets... :rolleyes1

I dont plan on spending money on presents and etc, I've been to Disney previously and I dont have enough room to store everything I've bought!

Does anyone know when they are offering free dining either this year or 2014?? Thanks!!

I just did a bit of math and for 7 days, with a base ticket, no park hopper and the dining plan it comes to about $1,100.00 a piece. (Staying in a preferred room at POP) Of course thats no plane tickets... :rolleyes1

I dont plan on spending money on presents and etc, I've been to Disney previously and I dont have enough room to store everything I've bought!

Does anyone know when they are offering free dining either this year or 2014?? Thanks!!

YES. The are doing free dining for select dates in 2013 right now. There is an ad on the WDW home page. It says "delicious and free." Or just google it.

Thanks to all who have posted so far! It is cheaper to stay at All Star Movies (by about 20$ give or take.) Im a Trip Advisor junkie and the reviews for POP are 100x better than those for ASMo...any opinions on that? :flower3:

Check out the mousesaver.com site for hotel deals and money saving tips.

And sign up for their newsletter. The newsletter has a link which gives you a discount on the already-discounted park admission sold by Undercover Tourist.

Then re-run the numbers:
- room only reservation (no dining plan, no park admission)
- plus park admission as described above
- plus food.

Sometimes getting a room discount is a better deal than free dining. It depends on how much you eat. Lots of people eat breakfast in the room instead of at a restaurant.

if you're trying to save $$ why stay in a preferred room? Do you *need* to be closer to the food court etc? I'm assuming you're in good physical shape - why pay extra?

Also I ditto the All Stars suggestion - they're less per night and basically the same rooms. Often Music and Sports get better discounts (for room only) than Movies just FYI

Finally the PP that mentioned going for the RO discount and paying OOP for your food (assuming you are doing a 'cheap' type trip and not doing TS) is right on depending of course on how much you eat. People often just 'go for' the "Free Dining" without really seeing if it works for them food-wise and savings-wise.

We did a trip on the cheap last year. It was unplanned (meaning not budgeted for) so I had to do it on the cheap for a family of 4. I already had tickets so didn't have to buy them.

We stayed at All Stars because it was cheapest. I bought breakfast foods that we microwaved in the food court. I purchased a backpack cooler for $20 before the trip at Target. And I had ice packs. I took in sandwiches and wraps that I premade. I took grapes and veggies for us to snack on. This way I only had to pay for one meal a day. And we ate CS to save money. We do not split meals in my family. DH and DS17 can easily finish their own meals. And DD was only 2 so I took all her food in with us. She ate some of my fries though.

While I love the dining plan, unless you are doing it for budgeting purposes or doing sit down meals, I would not suggest it. The CS only plan will lose you money. You would have to work hard to know what to order to break even.

Have you looked at the menus with prices yet? I would suggest you look at the menus and decide where you want to eat before you decide to get a dining plan. Are you a dessert with every meal kind of person?

So, the preferred room...its only about 12$ more a night than a non. Ive read many complaints about resorts being spread out and so large. For about $6 more a night, a piece it seems worth it to me! Ive never stayed in a value so dont know honestly what to expect. (Please dont take that as snobby.) Ive heard from a few people going non dining plan can sometimes pan out being cheaper than with one. It does make nervous however going in without it...still a bit of a newbie I guess! We both looove Disney food so I think maybe it would be a good choice? Would it be easier to use a travel agent? Im a AAA platinum member and get good benefits booking through them. What are everyones opinions on travel agents?

So, the preferred room...its only about 12$ more a night than a non. Ive read many complaints about resorts being spread out and so large. For about $6 more a night, a piece it seems worth it to me! Ive never stayed in a value so dont know honestly what to expect. (Please dont take that as snobby.) Ive heard from a few people going non dining plan can sometimes pan out being cheaper than with one. It does make nervous however going in without it...still a bit of a newbie I guess! We both looove Disney food so I think maybe it would be a good choice? Would it be easier to use a travel agent? Im a AAA platinum member and get good benefits booking through them. What are everyones opinions on travel agents?

You can usually get a AAA discount. It is around 10% I think. I think travel agents are good if you don't know what you are doing. BUT you need a good travel agent that will work to find you discounts. Not all them are willing to do that.
The value resorts are not spread out. At all.

My daughter did the 'broke college kids' trip last year.

Find a room only discount for a value resort.

Meal plans will probably not be the best deal for a 'broke' person. It kind of looks like on this site the main draw for the meal plan is the 'pay in advance' feature. These may be the same folks who let Uncle Sam hold a crap-ton of their money all year in order to get their own money back as a 'refund'.

For next summer you should be able to find some deal if you keep your eyes peeled, at POP or an AllStars resort.

The only thing my daughter paid a premium for is she wanted hoppers.

Breakfast was Pop Tarts, or a bagel or something like that. She was in heaven when she found out she didn't have to pay Kona prices for Tonga Toast and they went to Captain Cook's at the Poly to have the same thing for less than half the price.

Unless you are on free dining, the meal plan is a huge splurge. Both in cost, and in tips for sit downs. If you are on FD then :D do it!!!! Otherwise, take the best room only disc and go.

Also if you fly, I think values are usually worth the min up side on cost. Due to renting car/parking ect a value is a fantastic choice.

Also I have stayed pref at pop, AS mov and POR, and non pref when available.... There is no difference. Most of the time if you ask close to x you get it. But I after 12$ is not enough to worry about.

Don't you mean "two very fortunate girls who can afford to go to WDW while in college?";)

Have fun, but nix the dining plan and preferred room, etc. Every dollar you spend is money you'll have to take for tuition in loans, or from your parents, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter