• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2 Bedroom Lockoff - Saratoga vs. Boardwalk?

disneydoc2007

Earning My Ears
Hello! For my Welcome Home stay, we will be staying with three first (& likely only) time visitor relatives (mid 40s and their son, age 11, along with myself, my husband and my boys ages 9 and 13), in a 2BR lockoff. We booked at 7 months (my home resort is Aulani) and are very happy to plan to stay in a newly remodeled SSR 2BR Lockoff. However, I see that for 10 fewer points, I can waitlist a Boardwalk 2BR Lockoff.

Where would you rather stay, assuming that the waitlist even comes through? I like the dedicated "true" beds in the remodeled room for more comfortable sleep, but our relatives are European and I think everyone would love the Boardwalk's walkability and of course being able to pool hop will be so nice with Stormalong Bay just nearby! Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I haven’t stayed at either, but have read a lot of about both before our last trip. We ended up at the Poly.
If I got to choose between the two I would choose the Boardwalk. I prefer the location being in walking distance to two parks and having the convenience of the skyliner. From what I have read Saratoga is large and spread out.

Poly is great but we wanted to get the most bang for our points so to speak, so this is why I narrowed to those two.

The walking distance argument is a good one, but we will drive a car. Bed spaces and good rest are also a top priority and the benefit of no sofa beds is just huge!

OP, if you plan to pool hop using your DVC advantage, you should contact member services for the exclusion list. I know Stormalong Bay is excluded, but I am not as familiar with the entire list. I think the last list I saw had like 7 resorts had some type of restriction.

I have only stayed in the 2 BD at Bay Lake and 1 BD at Riviera. I do think I would prefer the room setup of the Saratoga over Boardwalk, but I have stayed non DVC at Boardwalk and enjoyed atmosphere of the boardwalk and ease of visiting the near resorts and parks. Though, Saratoga gives ease to Disney Springs. Since you have a car, getting to Epcot and DHS will not be difficult.

I guess it depends on how much you expect to spend just being at your resort.

I would stay at BW. I have not stayed at a 2-BR there, only 1-BR. The location is perfect. I think any of those boardwalk area hotels are best in location. Walk to 2 parks, entertainment at night on the Boardwalk, Skyliner access to go to other resorts, etc.

As mentioned, you absolutely cannot use Stormalong Bay.

Saratoga Springs definitely has more updated and nicer beds. You will have pull-out couches at BW. Saratoga also has walkable location to Disney Springs. It all is a matter of how you plan to use your time while at Disney.

A "welcome home stay" is booked by Disney, and they pull inventory you can't see. If they offered you Boardwalk, take it right now.

If you are just talking about normal booking, there is not much chance that waitlist will fill. All the 2BRs at BW are lockoffs, and the studios are in fierce demand, by members and professionals renting them out. You would need both a studio and 1BR to be open, which is not likely.

You could waitlist Kidani. That can fill, there are a whole lot of those rooms. Or just stalk. You never know what shows up.

You haven't been able to pool hop to Stormalong Bay for decades. Whoever told you that is dead wrong.

Last edited:

All pool hopping is currently a no, honestly. But if it turns back on, SAB has always been excluded save when BW pool was under construction.

I agree with RoseGold, the likelihood of a BWV 2BR waitlist being filled is small. However, it doesn’t hurt to try! If you do waitlist, be sure to have it end at 31 days. If it fills at 30 days or less from checkin, since BWV costs less, those 10 points will go into holding.

Something more to be clear on: At this time, BWV has sofa beds in the living room (queen) and studio (double), the only Murphy being the bunk size in the studio. Only SSR has all Murphy beds. Also, BWV does not have the bunk size Murphy in the living room whereas SSR does. IOW, a BWV 2BR has only 5 sleep surfaces while SSR has 6. So think carefully about who will sleep where!

Maybe worth mentioning with all these people crammed in one room, you can bring an air mattress and add a sleeping surface. I have one in my owner's locker, and I use it even when the room can technically sleep everyone. The sleeper sofas are not what I would describe as deluxe.

Last edited:
BWV will be undergoing a refurbishment this year, which appears might actually include work on the boardwalk itself beginning in Sep and possibly before which may limit somewhat the use of portions of the boardwalk. Moreover, even if you get a BWV room, you could end up with noise issues in your room due to the refurb of rooms above or below yours that may be taking place at the time. Also, as noted above, you cannot use Stormalong Bay while staying at BWV. Moreover, as a result of covid, pool hopping to any resort was suspended, and that suspension is still in effect with no word yet as to when it may end.

In addition, as indicated by your mention of the BWV 2BR being 10 less points than SSR, you probably mean a waitlist for a standard view 2BR at BWV. You should not have high expectations of the waitlist coming through for a standard view 2BR at BWV for any multi-day stay. Only about 20% of all BWV rooms are standard view and, particularly because of their lower point cost, standard view studios and 2BRs typically book full most of the year within moments after 8 a.m. when the 11-month window opens (at Aulani that happens only to standard view GVs and sometimes happens to the hotel rooms that are DVC). Owners of BWV (including those who lost the battle right at 8 a.m. at 11-months out) create many waitlists during the 11-month window for standard view rooms, and thus, on the waitlist, you could be behind a number of BWV owners, and not just others who got on the 7-month waitlist quicker than you.

As far as the rooms go, the 2BRs at SSR are currently better internally than the ones at BWV. SSR has completed a refurb that included removing the pull-out couches and replacing them with pull-down-from-the-wall Murphy beds which are better (more comfortable) than the pull-out couch beds, Also, SSR added a somewhat less than twin-size Murphy bed that pulls out of a cabinet beneath the TV in the living room. That does not exist at BWV and will not be added in the refurb, but BWV has that cabinet with the pull-out Murphy in the studio portion of the 2BR, while SSR does not.

As far as resorts go, BWV has many advantages (absent any that could be taken away at any given time because of the 2023 refurb). You can walk or boat to Epcot and Studios. There is only one-bus stop and the bus to and from MK does not share with other resorts; for AK and Disney Springs buses are shared with BCV. At SSR, all Disney transportation to and from parks is via bus and there are five different bus stops at SSR, meaning time to and from a park can take longer than from BWV. Also, having a car for transportation to go to the parks does not necessarily make it easier, example: during the morning rush to MK, you can end up in a long traffic jam when you start getting near the entry booths to the parking lot, and then, after parking, you still have to take a monorail or boat from the Transportation and Ticket Center to MK (SSR buses go directly to the park). In other words getting to MK by car from SSR can sometimes take an hour or more.

BWV also has easy access to many restaurants at BWV, BCV and Swan/Dolphin, besides easy access to the park restaurants, particularly at Epcot because the entrance that you would use is to the World Showcase portion of Epcot that has most of the restaurants. SSR has one main restaurant and some quick service restaurants, and walk to any restaurant could be long depending on location of room, likewise for walking to one of two large themed pools. You also have fairly easy access to Disney Springs with all its restaurants, stores, kids play areas, movie theater, and Cirque du Soleil. Views from BWV boardwalk rooms and from the boardwalk (over a lake to other resorts and Epcot), are among the most impressive at WDW. Views from rooms at SSR vary from very good to mediocre. The resort is spread out over a large geographical area with grass, bushes and trees kept in top notch shape, and a golf course, and just walking around the resort can be a very pleasant activity.

My personal preference is BWV, but with rooms not yet redone (last refurb was 2016), and currently unknown noise and full-use risks that might be involved because of the upcoming refurb, I would probably choose SSR (with its newly refurbed rooms) for a 2023 trip in the summer or fall.

Last edited:
I mean its not even comparable. BWV every day of the week by far over SSR.

Like I almost have to ask if this is a real question?

• BWV is cheaper
  • BWV walking or boating to Epcot/HS
  • BWV closer to festival if there during one
  • BWV avoid busses likely 40-50% of your trip days
  • BWV theme vs SSR apartment complex
  • BWV more compact resort with no multiple bus stops

Its not remotely close of a decision unless you specifically are obsessed with Disney Springs but at that point save money and book hotels by Disney Springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter