***1st Week of December Thread ADR Plans, Park Hours, and dealing with Pop Warner***

Here we go, rant time.

Just found out Universal increased ticket prices on Tuesday. 1 day Park to Park now $160+tax for the date we were going. Also, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is on refurb from Dec 1-18. Trying to figure out if a train ride and the one Harry Potter ride I haven't done before are worth $170 when I could just add a day onto our Disney tickets for like $15 each. Y'all, I am so mad. Plus, my local friend who worked through Halloween Horror Nights and got hired on afterward doesn't start his new position at Islands of Adventure until Dec 20. Why? Because his new job is at HP&tFJ! UGHHHHHHH. So we probably couldn't get any comp tickets or discounts because he's not working yet, and now the prices are higher AND one of the big two rides to ride is down. ***???? :furious:

Got a phone call from planet Hollywood today. I have a reservation for the 5th. They called to let me know they will not be open at that time. Looks more like mid december

Went to SOA back in 2000...guys in our group weren't really impressed. My DS6 and DS8 couldn't wait to get out of there and get back to the parks. DH thought it was OK, but we've seen better shows in real life. DD3 loved it...so much so that she volunteered the two of us to get up on stage....maybe it's better now..that was a long time ago

Haha...I bet those are fun memories of being volunteered to go up on stage! I guess it's sometimes hard to predict for sure who out of one's group will like something and who won't until everyone is actually experiencing it!

I don't know. I've never done either (only Ohana breakfast) and would want to try Ohana. Do you eat outside for the Spirit of Aloha? If so, it could be chilly and you might prefer to be inside. Are they the same price? I would think Ohana would be a bit cheaper. If you were on meal plan Ohana is only credit, right?

As far as I know, SOA category 1 isn't covered under the dining plan (I think it has to be 2 or 3) and 'Ohana is 1 credit, so that is a consideration for sure. I really need to reign our budget in and SOA would be more. I have also GOT to get it in my head that December weather is unpredictable in Florida. Three years ago, it was essentially hot our entire trip (coming from typical MI December weather, it felt hot to us). One evening we broke out our hoodies, but other than that it was upper 70s/mid to upper 80s and sunny the whole time. :sunny: I know that's definitely not always the case in December so that's another consideration!

Oooh, that's a tough one! Have you ever done any dinner shows before? Did you like it? I've heard mixed reviews on SOA because it's outside, and iffy reviews on the food. If you're looking for experience, I'd go for SOA. If you're going for food, I'd do 'Ohana. Does that help?

We never have done a dinner show! HDDR is way at the top of our "next time" list though for sure. That feels like a must do, I think. Since we have some other experiences planned that I hope will be fun, I'm thinking food seems more important. Makes perfect sense and a great way to decide!! Totally helps!! ::yes::

I'm leaning towards plan b. I have heard mixed reviews about SOA and I think you'll be hungry enough for 'Ohana if you have a light snack/lunch. It also gives you more time in the park. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, the more time in the park thing is important. I know 'Ohana is notorious for running behind, but hoping at 3:50 we could avoid that. Should take less time away than SOA (not that I want to rush it; looking forward to it!). I hear SOA is a little cheesy, which we're not opposed to. We're a little cheesy! lol :hyper: But the time factor matters. :hourglass

Thanks very much for the help in thinking that through. Yay, 'Ohana it is! :thumbsup2

ETA: :mickeybar:mickeybar:mickeybar:mickeybar:)

Last edited:
Here we go, rant time.

Just found out Universal increased ticket prices on Tuesday. 1 day Park to Park now $160+tax for the date we were going. Also, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is on refurb from Dec 1-18. Trying to figure out if a train ride and the one Harry Potter ride I haven't done before are worth $170 when I could just add a day onto our Disney tickets for like $15 each. Y'all, I am so mad. Plus, my local friend who worked through Halloween Horror Nights and got hired on afterward doesn't start his new position at Islands of Adventure until Dec 20. Why? Because his new job is at HP&tFJ! UGHHHHHHH. So we probably couldn't get any comp tickets or discounts because he's not working yet, and now the prices are higher AND one of the big two rides to ride is down. ***???? :furious:

Oh no!!! I had heard about FJ a couple of days ago, but that is really expensive for the tickets!! Both Disney and United are almost forcing you to commit to multiple days because it brings down the cost so much. If you've already been there, could you go back for a 2 or 3 day trip after your friend gets the job?

Hey...our last meal is at Cape May! Minnie over Stitch in this house....but I think Ohana does have better food....haven't been to either...just my impression from reading the boards. Besides, I'd prefer the family style at Ohana to the buffet at Cape May. But, alas, it's got to be Minnie Mouse for this group.
actually i think it is the opposite. I think the food is better at cape may... more variety at least though I do enjoy being served. THey have crepes at cape may :)

WOOT WOOT! :yay: Touring Plan strikes again!! I swear, it NEVER gets old to snag a stalked ADR! Just got a 3:50 'Ohana dinner for our last day! :banana: There's a but! lol

I know there's no shortage of great opinions here, so I'm hoping I can get some from you guys. Could you pretty please with a Mickey bar on top help me think through plan A and plan B? This is for our last park day, a Saturday, and we plan on MK all day.

Plan A
CP at 10:15
Spirit of Aloha 5:15 dinner show
Wishes Dessert Party*

Plan B
CP at 10:15
'Ohana 3:50
Wishes Dessert Party*

*I stole @Lisa F's sorta recent great idea to get a dessert party for this night to be sure we have good Wishes viewing considering it's a Saturday.

I'm a little torn between 'Ohana and SOA. What should I consider to help make this decision? :scratchin:scratchin:scratchin

This is probably it for tweaking ADRs! :badpc: (Hmmm...that sounds familiar, like maybe I made a really big deal about being done before??:lmao:) I do have a couple extra Yak and Yeti's, completely dependent on what RoL does. I feel hopeful about RoL though. Like everyone, I'm hoping those much-discussed soft openings really ARE right around the corner!! :flower1:

Ohana for sure. SoA does not get great reviews.

Here we go, rant time.

That totally stinks. I would not pay that kind of money with the main ride down. How often do you go to Orlando? Do you think you could plan another trip to Universal alone at a later date? If it were me, I'd add another Disney day for the $15 each and use your savings towards a future trip or another fun Disney activity..

I did. I ended up coming out $50 ahead with DDP but to be fair, the calculator I don't think was up to date with 2016 restaurant pricing so I'm not sure if the $50 is moot. But I'm leaning against it. I love appetizers more than desserts and we split and share a lot of meals. I think the cost of the character meals is just freaking me out.

That's our thing too; we're not big dessert eaters, but we LOVE apps. Makes the DDP not really worth it if we like that at Disney.

I have an ADR for BOG on 12/4 at lunch for 2 people. I REALLY need it for 5. I haven't cancelled it yet, but may have to pull the trigger soon :(

Hmm, depending on the time I may be interested in it. Let me know what you decide to do!

Here we go, rant time.

GRRRR, don't even get me started about FJ. :( I have to buy our Universal tickets this weekend; we're going to our local AAA office because they have discounted tix. Maybe you could check that out?

@Talby I've been to both. While I'm not a huge fan of 'Ohana, I'm less a fan of SOA. I didn't think the food was all that great. I would choose 'Ohana between the two.

@Mintycake We've always done the DxDDP or DDP, but this time are going OOP. The plans just don't work the way some people (me) eat. I prefer an app or two and dessert and M isn't a dessert person. We always felt so full and this time, we're hoping to enjoy not wanting to roll out.

actually i think it is the opposite. I think the food is better at cape may... more variety at least though I do enjoy being served. THey have crepes at cape may :)
yum...DD will love the crepes. We were a little bummed that there are no omlettes, but I think she will adjust! Glad to hear you like Cape May. We are doing the Cape May breakfast on our last day, and a GG family style mid-week...we will see which we prefer. I've only done a character breakfast at 1900 Park Fare, so some new experiences this trip...always fun!!!

Got a phone call from planet Hollywood today. I have a reservation for the 5th. They called to let me know they will not be open at that time. Looks more like mid december

Oh bummer! I guess I can cross that option off my list. I was looking forward to trying one of their milkshakes!

Here we go, rant time.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about that! That sucks! I heard about the price increase but didn't know that you have not bought yet! I actually bought mine before the previous price increase. That was announced I think, this one seems like it came as a surprise :(

Haha...I bet those are fun memories of being volunteered to go up on stage! I guess it's sometimes hard to predict for sure who out of one's group will like something and who won't until everyone is actually experiencing it!

As far as I know, SOA category 1 isn't covered under the dining plan (I think it has to be 2 or 3) and 'Ohana is 1 credit, so that is a consideration for sure. I really need to reign our budget in and SOA would be more. I have also GOT to get it in my head that December weather is unpredictable in Florida. Three years ago, it was essentially hot our entire trip (coming from typical MI December weather, it felt hot to us). One evening we broke out our hoodies, but other than that it was upper 70s/mid to upper 80s and sunny the whole time. :sunny: I know that's definitely not always the case in December so that's another consideration!

We never have done a dinner show! HDDR is way at the top of our "next time" list though for sure. That feels like a must do, I think. Since we have some other experiences planned that I hope will be fun, I'm thinking food seems more important. Makes perfect sense and a great way to decide!! Totally helps!! ::yes::

Yeah, the more time in the park thing is important. I know 'Ohana is notorious for running behind, but hoping at 3:50 we could avoid that. Should take less time away than SOA (not that I want to rush it; looking forward to it!). I hear SOA is a little cheesy, which we're not opposed to. We're a little cheesy! lol :hyper: But the time factor matters. :hourglass

Thanks very much for the help in thinking that through. Yay, 'Ohana it is! :thumbsup2

ETA: :mickeybar:mickeybar:mickeybar:mickeybar:)
Glad u decided on Ohana! /seems like time wise it would work better for you especially with the wishes dessert party lined up :)

@Talby I've been to both. While I'm not a huge fan of 'Ohana, I'm less a fan of SOA. I didn't think the food was all that great. I would choose 'Ohana between the two.

@Mintycake We've always done the DxDDP or DDP, but this time are going OOP. The plans just don't work the way some people (me) eat. I prefer an app or two and dessert and M isn't a dessert person. We always felt so full and this time, we're hoping to enjoy not wanting to roll out.
Hahaha I'm going to be rolling home on DxDP! Lucky it's only half of my trip ;)

Glad u decided on Ohana! /seems like time wise it would work better for you especially with the wishes dessert party lined up :)

I do like the timing better! ::yes:: You know how these planning decisions sometimes will just feel right? This one does. :goodvibes I honestly think I'm officially done! There's nothing left to tweak! But, man oh man, do I have a LOT to do! I will not be bored these next couple of weeks! And I know I'm not alone in that! Crazy how all of our trips seemed so far away for so long, then suddenly, they are almost here. I was trying to figure out who are among the first to be going...is it BDFMom and JamieOak? I know there are some November peeps but can't quite remember everyone's dates.

Hahaha I'm going to be rolling home on DxDP! Lucky it's only half of my trip ;)

I think we're all gonna be rolling home after our trips, with or without dining plans, with all the holiday treats! :rotfl:

Holy cow, what a busy week it's been for me! And it's finally starting to feel like my trip is super close! Next week is Thanksgiving, then I have a full week at work after that, and then it's my trip week! :banana: Need to start thinking about getting my suitcase out, and collecting the stuff I need to pack. Only have one etsy shirt that hasn't been delivered yet, but it finally shipped yesterday, and 2 more mb decals! 3 weeks from right now I'll be at MVMCP! :cool1:

I do like the timing better! ::yes:: You know how these planning decisions sometimes will just feel right? This one does. :goodvibes I honestly think I'm officially done! There's nothing left to tweak! But, man oh man, do I have a LOT to do! I will not be bored these next couple of weeks! And I know I'm not alone in that! Crazy how all of our trips seemed so far away for so long, then suddenly, they are almost here. I was trying to figure out who are among the first to be going...is it BDFMom and JamieOak? I know there are some November peeps but can't quite remember everyone's dates.

We go 11/26! :scared: I'm in a bit of a freak out over here. Just feels like there is so much to do and so little time, I'm almost frozen in panic. But, I'm sure it'll all work out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter