• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st Time With 8 Year Old Boy

TinkerTerry

Mouseketeer
I've only recently done adults only trips. This year I'm going with 2 girls 5 and 8 and 1 8 year old boy. He's not too excited about doing all the princess activities with the girls. Any suggestions?

Any adult men going? My dad would take my nephew to do "guy stuff" while us girls met royalty. My nephew loves to shop, so sometimes guy stuff was just wandering through a store.

Make sure to see Buzz and anything to do with Pirates. The princesses are super nice to the boys too. There are tons of stuff for boys too.

I just took my boys and my oldest is 8. What are all your princess plans? Are you asking for ideas of things for him to do while you do princess stuff with the girls, or are you asking for ideas on non-princess things to do?

I have two boys around that age. It's great. They skip over all the princess stuff, too. You see the parks differently when princesses are not the only focus.

My first went to Cinderella's dinner when younger. He was entertained by the step-sisters. Very cute.

For princess meet-and-greets, there is always something else nearby to do.

He will have his grandfather with him and yes I'm looking for things for him to do while his cousins are doing Princess things. He doesn't want to do those things.

There will be tons of stuff nearby. We did so much and did zero princess stuff. It's not hard to avoid. If you want specific ideas of whats close, just tell us what plans you have and maybe we can help. Alternate meals if you are doing a princess meal, or close by attractions.

Mine enjoy:

Rides like Jungle Cruise, 7DMR, BTM, etc.
Tom Sawyer Island
Food
Street performers
Fireworks
Boats
Monorail
Mickey
Gift shops
Activities like collecting badges at AK
Cultural activities
Behind the seeds tour
Bird show at AK

Test Track is high on their lists this time

I'm not sure what "princess activities" you have planned, but there is Pirates League in MK. Jedi Training in HS. The Captain Jack pirate activity in MK.

Or he could just go with grandpa and ride extra rides while the girls did princess stuff.

I have 2 boys, so princesses have never been high on our priority list..But I will say that if you are doing a princess meal with the girls I wouldn't necessarily switch the boy and Grandpa to another meal. My boys have loved eating at Akershus, CRT and 1900s Park Fare; they princess interaction in those places cracked them up and they felt totally special with the extra attention.

If he likes Star Wars they have a jedi training. My daughter was very disappointed that she was too old to participate.

Pirates League in MK, Jedi Training at HS, Sorcerers of the MK, just to name a few...

There is also the Pirate and Pals Fire works voyage. It leaves from the Contemporary and you watch fireworks on boats after meeting Captain Hook and Smee. It was soooo much fun for our family last time we went. Totally worth the price!

Here is another vote for Sorcerers of the Kingdom at MK. Everyone in your group can get a pack of the trading cards and then give them to the 8 year old. At 8 years old he will enjoy the interactive element.

JTA and other Star Wars stuff at HS, Pirates League at MK, and a couple character meals. My boys loved Garden Grill at Epcot and Tusker House at AK at those ages. Don't forget about the Lego store in Disney Springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter