1st Family Trip to Orlando

hussey1213

Earning My Ears
We're taking our 1st family trip to Orlando this June 2014. Anyone done any character dining in Orlando? We're looking for one that is unique from what we have in CA. Most important (in this order) 1) great & memorable experience 2) lots of character interaction 3) good food, preferably something different 4) cool/unique atmosphere or scenery. Any recommendations?

Are you looking for a Disney character meal, or something non-Disney?

Our favourite character dining in Orlando is the breakfast at Ohana (Lilo, Stitch, Mickey and Pluto) at the Polynesian Resort, and dinner at Crystal Palace (Eeyore, Piglet, Pooh and Tigger) at MK.

If you are looking for non-Disney options, then I highly recommend the Shrek Feast at Gaylord Palms (Shrek, Fiona and Puss in Boots).

We're taking our 1st family trip to Orlando this June 2014. Anyone done any character dining in Orlando? We're looking for one that is unique from what we have in CA. Most important (in this order) 1) great & memorable experience 2) lots of character interaction 3) good food, preferably something different 4) cool/unique atmosphere or scenery. Any recommendations?
We've done Chef Mickey in the Contemporary Resort.

Positives:
- lots of character interactions
- wide variety of food, nearly all of it comfort food. Good quality, but ordinary.
- the inside of the Contemporary, with the monorail going by every few minutes is unique

Negatives:
- very expensive for a buffet of comfort food.
- very crowded. Even with an ADR we had an hour wait.
- loud. Difficult to have a conversation.

My favorites are Tusker House, Crystal Palace, and Chef Mickey's. The food is the best at Tusker, but its in Animal Kingdom so that would have to be planned for an AK day. The food at CM and CP is pretty good. I love Crystal Palace because it gives us a nice break while we are at Magic Kingdom, which we always need around noon. It gives us a nice way to sit in the air conditioning and rest plus the Pooh characters are awesome. Chef Mickeys is great because its not at a theme park so anyone can go, just make sure you make ADRs. I have never waited more than 10 minutes with an ADR and the character interaction is awesome. Plus then you get to see the Contemporary Resort which is incredible.

If you have Princess lovers you should do Akershu's at Epcot or Cinderella's Royal Table at MK. Both are excellent but even more expensive than the others. You do get a little photo package as part of the cost though.

You MUST get ADRs for any of these character meals or you will be waiting possibly hours for a table.

We greatly enjoyed the Ohana at the Polynesian resort. It was Lilo, Stitch, Goofy, and someone else. It's family style buffet breakfast. The food was great, the character interaction was wonderful, and the price was fantastic!! I miss the character meals.....my kids are "too big" for them now.

Garden Grill at Epcot has Farmer Mickey, Pluto, Chip, and Dale. The characters were great, the restaurant rotated, and they grow some of the food in the Land pavilion. It's really cool to ride the Living with the Land boat ride and go eat here.

I miss the character meals.....my kids are "too big" for them now.

Say it ain't so! :eek:

My kiddo turned 18 a couple of weeks ago, and he still loves a meal with Mickey (or whomever). I can't imagine the day he'll tell me he's too old for character dining. I'm 40 and still love it!!! ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter