1957 vs. 2011

Being nostalgic for certain elements of a time in history doesn't make you nostalgic for all the other elements of that society.

But see, no one ever SAYS that. No one ever says "I'm glad we have civil rights, etc. but there were some things about the 50s I miss." They go whole hog and say how much better things were in the 50s (or whatever rose-colored time period they're looking at), full stop. And that's when others feel compelled to say look, dude, you may be fooling yourself, but we know better. :laughing:

Stop it! You're actually making sense on here. The problem is that when the boilerplate policy making came about, people stopped using common sense...which wasn't all that common in the first place.

I'm currently commando.

I think Firedancer generally makes sense...

And as far of the underwear situation..............yeah...I got nothin'

I think that every generation has had its burdens, fears, and injustices. While many people look back on the 1950s as a time of peace, it was the decade of the Korean War and racheting up of Cold War fears of a direct nuclear attack against the US. There was government sanctioned racism in many states. Polio and other frightening infectious diseases were still a danger. Social problems, such as child abuse, teen pregnancy, and addiction were hushed up.

On the topic of common sense or a lack thereof, I was at the mall the other day and a woman in front of me was using a stroller that she had rented from the mall. On the back of the stroller was a small mesh bag and across the top of the bag was printed "Do not place child in bag." That really cracked me up!

Heck, I am nostalgic for 3.00/gallon!

Ain't that the truth! :lmao:

I think that every generation has had its burdens, fears, and injustices. While many people look back on the 1950s as a time of peace, it was the decade of the Korean War and racheting up of Cold War fears of a direct nuclear attack against the US. There was government sanctioned racism in many states. Polio and other frightening infectious diseases were still a danger. Social problems, such as child abuse, teen pregnancy, and addiction were hushed up.

On the topic of common sense or a lack thereof, I was at the mall the other day and a woman in front of me was using a stroller that she had rented from the mall. On the back of the stroller was a small mesh bag and across the top of the bag was printed "Do not place child in bag." That really cracked me up!

:rotfl2:

That's along the lines of getting my kids superhero costumes for halloween and reading on the box that "Cape does not enable user to fly."

Seriously???

I know you are but what am I.

Here is what I took out of the OP:

People were able to handle things by themselves back in the proverbial day. We didn't need action committees or no tolerance policies that are just lazy boilerplate policy making. Situations were looked at and dealt with with common sense and not an agenda, at least not the limited scope of situations in the OP. It has nothing to do with other aspects of society like equal rights or the job market. Being nostalgic for certain elements of a time in history doesn't make you nostalgic for all the other elements of that society.

Now, put back on your tin foil hat because I'm sure they will be coming for you shortly.[/QUOTE]

How did you know what I was wearing, you are one of THEM aren't you??:scared:

Does over analyzing everything or trying to find the hidden meaning behind a light hearted post that wasn't supposed to be taken seriously every get tiring?

No wonder everyone thinks they were bullied, even on this thread we have imaginary victims.

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter