13 Days of Disney - Everything We Never Knew We Always Wanted - June 2016 TR Update 1/30

I loved reading all of your updates and love that y'all had such a great time! This makes me so incredibly excited for our 13 day trip coming up in July - I'm like you, usually a go, go, go kind of person... Looking forward to slowing down and enjoying everything! :)

Well timing must be everything because I only came across your report a few days ago and was able to read the entire thing the last few days as I've been stuck in bed with pneumonia. I don't even know where to start but your kids are seriously adorable, and the costumes and character interactions were incredible! I am still trying to get over the ride on the teacups with Alice. And you, lady, are a rock star to have taken on a trip that long with a bum toe. I REALLY enjoyed your report and will definitely watch for your next one! :-)

Glad you came back and finished your AWESOME trip report! It was such a fun read and your kids are super cute and obviously crazy about Disney (as are you and your husband :P). Good luck with all you've got going on this spring (well, it's not spring yet but you know it sure feels like it in our parts!) and with planning your trip this summer!! I'm jealous of you and others like Renee that get to go back right away the next year. :D BUT, we are actually planning a trip to SoCal in June with 3-4 days of Disneyland, so I shouldn't feel so sorry for myself! :laughing:

I loved reading all of your updates and love that y'all had such a great time! This makes me so incredibly excited for our 13 day trip coming up in July - I'm like you, usually a go, go, go kind of person... Looking forward to slowing down and enjoying everything! :)

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) Congrats on your upcoming long trip! Being there for that long was seriously amazing and having the ability to slow down and really savor Disney was something we will always treasure. Have the most fun and please tag me if you do a trip report!

Well timing must be everything because I only came across your report a few days ago and was able to read the entire thing the last few days as I've been stuck in bed with pneumonia. I don't even know where to start but your kids are seriously adorable, and the costumes and character interactions were incredible! I am still trying to get over the ride on the teacups with Alice. And you, lady, are a rock star to have taken on a trip that long with a bum toe. I REALLY enjoyed your report and will definitely watch for your next one! :-)

I timed it that way just for you! ;) But seriously, I'm glad you stumbled upon me, but I'm so sorry about your pneumonia! I hope you are recovering well.

Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm still trying to get over the teacups myself! The bum toe wasn't the best, but it showed us that we could come together and work through some bad stuff and also that being in Disney is enough to make anything seem tolerable. :)

Glad you came back and finished your AWESOME trip report! It was such a fun read and your kids are super cute and obviously crazy about Disney (as are you and your husband :P). Good luck with all you've got going on this spring (well, it's not spring yet but you know it sure feels like it in our parts!) and with planning your trip this summer!! I'm jealous of you and others like Renee that get to go back right away the next year. :D BUT, we are actually planning a trip to SoCal in June with 3-4 days of Disneyland, so I shouldn't feel so sorry for myself! :laughing:

Thank you! We are just a little Disney crazy. :crazy: Also thanks for the well-wishes for our business. It does feel like spring already here too, although it's going to get cold again tomorrow. Boo. I'm jealous of your CA trip! I haven't been to DL in 13 years. Desperate to get back at some point! We may end up having to skip going to WDW next year with me finishing my Ph.D. and hunting for jobs, so I was determined to get back this year.

Thanks so much for following along throughout this long thing!

Yay for an update! I was getting worried you weren't going to come back and finish it. Poor Cora! Leaving is so hard; I usually shed a tear or two, too. The only good thing about leaving is you're one day closer to returning (that's the reasoning that goes on in my head, lol).

The sad thing about your last day is that it was our first day, and we were so happy and excited. We went to Epcot that day as well to ride the new Soarin', which we all loved.

Thankfully, you have another trip on the horizon. It doesn't sound like you'll be writing a PTR, but I'm hoping for a TR. I'll definitely be reading it.

Thank you both! I think I talked about this in my pre-trip report, but not my trip report. My mother-in-law makes the costumes. We are very lucky to have an amazing seamstress in the family! In the past I've been much more diligent with making sure the costumes were complete, but kind of dropped the ball this time. Here are Bert and Mary with hat and shoes from 2015.

20150319_111541.jpg

And here's a sampling of some of our other past ones.

MK_PFTHPURPLED1CHAR_7227408409.jpeg

IMG_0466.jpg

MK_FAIRYTALEGARDENCHAR_7229801500.jpeg

20150320_170019_2.jpg
I was looking for June trip reports to know what to expect (we usually go in the spring; this year will be our first summer trip), and I found yours first. I am absolutely blown AWAY by the costumes!!! Your MIL is incredibly talented and your kiddos are just TOO ADORABLE!!! The Kristoff is just killing me dead here, and the Merida dress makes me desperately want one of my own!!! :love: Thank you for posting all of this and I do hope the recovery from your injury is complete!!!

Yay for an update! I was getting worried you weren't going to come back and finish it. Poor Cora! Leaving is so hard; I usually shed a tear or two, too. The only good thing about leaving is you're one day closer to returning (that's the reasoning that goes on in my head, lol).

The sad thing about your last day is that it was our first day, and we were so happy and excited. We went to Epcot that day as well to ride the new Soarin', which we all loved.

Thankfully, you have another trip on the horizon. It doesn't sound like you'll be writing a PTR, but I'm hoping for a TR. I'll definitely be reading it.

I'm always so irrationally jealous of the people who's trips are just starting when ours is ending! lol I like your reasoning about leaving - very Pollyanna-esque which is perfect Disney spirit.

Sadly, we've had to cancel our June trip this year. :( The upside is we will be going to Disneyland instead so we still get a Disney fix, and are planning to try for another long one to WDW next summer to make up for this year.

I was looking for June trip reports to know what to expect (we usually go in the spring; this year will be our first summer trip), and I found yours first. I am absolutely blown AWAY by the costumes!!! Your MIL is incredibly talented and your kiddos are just TOO ADORABLE!!! The Kristoff is just killing me dead here, and the Merida dress makes me desperately want one of my own!!! :love: Thank you for posting all of this and I do hope the recovery from your injury is complete!!!

Thank you! We will be heading to Disneyland this summer with MIL so she'll finally get to witness the kids in a Disney park in her costumes. I'm excited for her to get to actually see the reactions to her talent, because we have been the sole beneficiaries thus far lol.

I actually just had my last doc appointment related to my injury a couple of weeks ago and finally got the all-clear. Still a bit of nerve damage, but I can run and jump and act like myself again without issue so I'm good. :) Have the best time in June! We loved it. Yes, it's hot and crowded, but we had such a great time and the benefit of the crowd is longer park hours!

Sadly, we've had to cancel our June trip this year. :( The upside is we will be going to Disneyland instead so we still get a Disney fix, and are planning to try for another long one to WDW next summer to make up for this year.

Oh no, I'm so sorry you've had to cancel!!! However, that is a wonderful upside of getting to go to Disneyland. We'll be there ourselves June 21-27, do you know your dates yet? And I'm so glad your MIL will get to go and see your kids in the costumes she's made them. How fun!!! I don't think you've mentioned ever traveling with other family members. We haven't either, but I'd really like to take my parents back to WDW next year in 2018. It's hard for me to imagine what it will be like to share our vacation with them, having had all these other Disney trips with just us.

Oh no, I'm so sorry you've had to cancel!!! However, that is a wonderful upside of getting to go to Disneyland. We'll be there ourselves June 21-27, do you know your dates yet? And I'm so glad your MIL will get to go and see your kids in the costumes she's made them. How fun!!! I don't think you've mentioned ever traveling with other family members. We haven't either, but I'd really like to take my parents back to WDW next year in 2018. It's hard for me to imagine what it will be like to share our vacation with them, having had all these other Disney trips with just us.

Thank you! And it looks like we will overlap! We'll be in CA 6/18-6/24 and will most likely be in the parks 6/19-6/22. My birthday is 6/20 and I'm really excited about getting to be there on that date.

We have never traveled with family members before and I must admit I am a bit nervous, but MIL is only planning on coming with us for 1 day out of 4, so I'm thinking I can avoid getting too stressed out over what we may or may not be getting done because I know we'll have other days to do things however we like. And MIL is a big DL fan who appreciates the value of getting to parks early and staying all day so it seems like her touring style may be a good match for ours. Regardless I'm very excited and grateful to be getting the chance to go!

I am only up to page 6 of your report! Slowly but surely, right?!? no?

This is Alex’s “it’s so good I’m in heaven” eating face.
My daughter loves Via Napoli as well!

It was a perfect evening of walking (wheeling) through World Showcase. I took this video of Cora bopping to the music as she walked with the sunlight shining ahead of her. These are the moments that make me love Epcot.
Those are the BEST moments in Disney. I have a memory on our first trip of my girls dancing in front of rapunzels' bathrooms to the music. They thought they were really in Rapunzel's town. Just the best!

It arrived at the exact minute it was supposed to and we hopped on. The ride was nice and uneventful and we were DBV’s no more!
So lucky!

Cora holds her nose in preparation to go under the sea!
I love it!

Next we decided to grab an early lunch. We don’t mind eating early and it helps us avoid the crowds, so we generally shoot for eating around 11:00am.
We try to go at 11:30, we have mostly found that we can get our food ordered and sitting before it gets too crazy. But we usually go during "Moderate" crowd levels. It is def the best way to go.

Oh no, I'm sorry you had to cancel your Disney World trip, but a trip to Disneyland should be awesome. How did the Disneyland trip come about? Did you already rent points for Disney World? How does that work when you cancel?

It sounds like you have a bigger trip planned for 2019 so at least you have that to look forward to. 2019 is the year I want to go for two weeks. I can't wait!

Made it to page 9! Love the report!
We are typically a go go go kind of family at WDW. Because of my injury, we were really forced to slow down this time.
You had an excellent pool to be spending so much pool time at!

After it ended we were silent for a few moments, then Alex burst out: “best moment of my life!!!”
We love the Star Wars fireworks. We saw them in the pouring rain and it didn't matter. They were still amazing.

Cora wanted to wear her Rey costume, but it somehow got left out of my packing (bad Mommy!), so she settled for her Rey t-shirt and this hastily thrown-together Rey inspired hairstyle.
Thank Goodness Rey's hair is semi easy to do!

So tall! I loved that he made noises.
Chewbacca is the best. So friendly and lovable.

Our faces betray how uncomfortable we were.

STUDIO_LBDRKSDECHAR1_7713145349.jpeg
Cora's face is awesome. She looks like "Get me out of here!" When we were in HS, you could still meet Darth Vader and we have this lovely photo to remember the meet with.
Darth.jpg
You will notice my youngest hiding behind DH in complete terror! It is a weird meet with them staying in complete character...

As we walked around, an awesome CM noticed the kids’ Star Wars attire and offered to pose them in the darker area with lightsabers. They were thrilled.
Super cool!

And here’s Rees geeking out some more over Star Wars memorabilia. This was pretty much his face the whole time we were in Launch Bay.
Ha, so was my DH when we were there...

A 20 minute wait at 12:52 in the afternoon during peak season! That 3rd track seems to have really improved the waits here. Anyway, we rode, we had fun, I lost again.
That is amazing! I hope with the additional rides, that will help keep it manageable as well.

We were finished dealing with our luggage/check out by about 10:40, which was perfect, as we wanted to be in Epcot in time to catch Mary Poppins’ first meet at 11:00. The kids dressed in their Mary and Bert costumes this day.
Those are AMAZING!!!!

Also, I left Mary Poppins’ hat back in Texas. So here are Mary and Bert, Mary hat-free and both in Crocs lol.

Seriously one of the best character photos ever! Love it!

This time she was begging to try orange, but we ended up doing green again since Alex had never been on it and I wanted to ease him into the experience.
So, I am so afraid to ride this ride? How bad is it?

Next up was our final pre-booked FP of the day – a completely unnecessary one at Figment. But really, what else can you do at Epcot with the tiers?

Cora's face looks exactly like what my oldest would have looked like. Like the world has ended.

I really enjoyed your trip report! It gave me a nice Disney fix! I also enjoyed seeing your kids and their costumes. My kids have grown up going to Disney. Our trips look different with 20 and 17 year old kiddos, but it is still special.

Thank you! And it looks like we will overlap! We'll be in CA 6/18-6/24 and will most likely be in the parks 6/19-6/22. My birthday is 6/20 and I'm really excited about getting to be there on that date.

We have never traveled with family members before and I must admit I am a bit nervous, but MIL is only planning on coming with us for 1 day out of 4, so I'm thinking I can avoid getting too stressed out over what we may or may not be getting done because I know we'll have other days to do things however we like. And MIL is a big DL fan who appreciates the value of getting to parks early and staying all day so it seems like her touring style may be a good match for ours. Regardless I'm very excited and grateful to be getting the chance to go!

Our first day in the parks will be your last day, June 22. We will be starting the day with our Magic Morning in DL at 7am which shouldn't be too difficult as we'll still be mostly on central time. Then we'll hop to DCA later in the morning and probably hop back and forth later as well. Got to love the proximity of the parks there!! I will keep an eye out for you and your family. :-)

I think only one day with your MIL will be perfect. You can go at her pace and make sure to do whatever she wants since you'll have 3 other days to make sure your to-do list gets done.

I am only up to page 6 of your report! Slowly but surely, right?!? no?

Welcome! It's a little long...lol

My daughter loves Via Napoli as well!

Alex was talking about Via Napoli pizza as recently as this weekend! It definitely made a lasting impression.

Those are the BEST moments in Disney. I have a memory on our first trip of my girls dancing in front of rapunzels' bathrooms to the music. They thought they were really in Rapunzel's town. Just the best!

They really are the best! While we, of course, love the attractions at WDW, the bulk of our favorite moments seem to come from times like this.

Oh no, I'm sorry you had to cancel your Disney World trip, but a trip to Disneyland should be awesome. How did the Disneyland trip come about? Did you already rent points for Disney World? How does that work when you cancel?

It sounds like you have a bigger trip planned for 2019 so at least you have that to look forward to. 2019 is the year I want to go for two weeks. I can't wait!

Thanks! Yes, we did already rent points for WDW. Thankfully I've got a good owner that I've rented through before who is willing to do cancellations provided the points can be rented to someone else.

Disneyland came about almost immediately after we decided to cancel WDW. My MIL, sewer of all of our costumes, moved out near Anaheim last year and really wants us to visit. Pretty much as soon as we were free she contacted saying come out west instead. We worked out the details, decided to road trip it, and just like that we'd swapped coasts. Kind of a whirlwind! I know nothing of planning a DL trip so I've gotten myself an unofficial guide and am attempting to switch mindsets.

We're hoping to be able to do the big trip in 2018, but 2019 at the latest! Going for 2 weeks is just the best and completely spoiled us.

Made it to page 9! Love the report!

You're quick! :) Glad you're enjoying it!

You had an excellent pool to be spending so much pool time at!

OMG yes, the kids were almost impossible to drag away.

Cora's face is awesome. She looks like "Get me out of here!" When we were in HS, you could still meet Darth Vader and we have this lovely photo to remember the meet with.
View attachment 222325
You will notice my youngest hiding behind DH in complete terror! It is a weird meet with them staying in complete character...

I just cracked up at that picture - love it! Ren certainly does stay in character. It's a little disconcerting, but it fits. Don't know that it's something I need to experience again though lol

Ha, so was my DH when we were there...

Sounds like they would get along ;)

Those are AMAZING!!!!

Seriously one of the best character photos ever! Love it!

Thank you! We so love meeting her.

So, I am so afraid to ride this ride? How bad is it?

Green is completely fine. The only way I could see having a problem with it is if you were claustrophobic, which I'm not. The movement is pretty minor and if you can do something like Star Tours this should not be a problem at all.

Orange is another story. Spoiler alert for later in the TR, but we ended up going on orange at another point. I did not enjoy it. I don't really struggle with motion sickness and didn't really experience that here, which is what I've seen a lot of folks complain about. However, I really did not enjoy the sensation of the pressure during spinning and the ride left me with a headache that lasted for a while. The rest of my family loved it, so take that for what it's worth. It wasn't so bad that I refuse to try it again, but no more than once per trip and if I can get out of it, I will.

Cora's face looks exactly like what my oldest would have looked like. Like the world has ended.

She can be so dramatic! I mean, I get crying when the trip is over (as I am prone to that myself...), but we still had a week to go! BCV was pretty awesome though, so it was kind of hard to leave.

I really enjoyed your trip report! It gave me a nice Disney fix! I also enjoyed seeing your kids and their costumes. My kids have grown up going to Disney. Our trips look different with 20 and 17 year old kiddos, but it is still special.

Thank you! I think about how our trips will change as the kids grow a lot. I'm trying to treasure this time while they're young right now, but I'm also looking forward to getting to share the experience with them in new ways as they get older. Do your kids still get excited about the trips? I really hope that because we've made these traditions from the time they were 2 and 4 years old that they will stick and still be meaningful once my kids start reaching the "too cool for school" age.

Our first day in the parks will be your last day, June 22. We will be starting the day with our Magic Morning in DL at 7am which shouldn't be too difficult as we'll still be mostly on central time. Then we'll hop to DCA later in the morning and probably hop back and forth later as well. Got to love the proximity of the parks there!! I will keep an eye out for you and your family. :-)

I think only one day with your MIL will be perfect. You can go at her pace and make sure to do whatever she wants since you'll have 3 other days to make sure your to-do list gets done.

Yes, we should definitely keep an eye out for each other! I think we'll be doing our MM on 6/20 and starting 6/22 in DCA, but we'll be hopping back and forth as well. And I agree with how to approach the day with my MIL. I think it will end up being really fun. I don't feel a ton of pressure to get everything done because I'm ok with missing some of the stuff that's exactly the same as WDW and with 4 days I think we'll have time to hit all of our must-do's at least once with time for meandering/taking in the atmosphere left over. Are you planning on trying to see the Frozen show? I'm debating that one.

Yes, we should definitely keep an eye out for each other! I think we'll be doing our MM on 6/20 and starting 6/22 in DCA, but we'll be hopping back and forth as well. And I agree with how to approach the day with my MIL. I think it will end up being really fun. I don't feel a ton of pressure to get everything done because I'm ok with missing some of the stuff that's exactly the same as WDW and with 4 days I think we'll have time to hit all of our must-do's at least once with time for meandering/taking in the atmosphere left over. Are you planning on trying to see the Frozen show? I'm debating that one.

Yes, your 4 days will give you plenty of time to hit must-do's, soak up the atmosphere, and re-ride all y'alls favorites. :-) Love, love, love hopping at Disneyland because it's super easy.

I don't think we are going to see the Frozen show. My family does not have a lot of patience for shows. :sad2: My kids are also a bit older so they're not really into Frozen as much anymore. I bet your kids would like it! I really want to see Mickey and the Magical Map though b/c we missed that one last time, so they're going to have to suck it up this time! :P I'll plan to do it in the afternoon when it's hot and crowded anyways so it's the best option.

Yes, your 4 days will give you plenty of time to hit must-do's, soak up the atmosphere, and re-ride all y'alls favorites. :-) Love, love, love hopping at Disneyland because it's super easy.

I don't think we are going to see the Frozen show. My family does not have a lot of patience for shows. :sad2: My kids are also a bit older so they're not really into Frozen as much anymore. I bet your kids would like it! I really want to see Mickey and the Magical Map though b/c we missed that one last time, so they're going to have to suck it up this time! :P I'll plan to do it in the afternoon when it's hot and crowded anyways so it's the best option.

I really want to see that one too! I'm sad the Aladdin show is gone. No question we would have made a point to see that one.

Just found and finished your report. Thank you so much for sharing! What a great job you did making lemonade! 2/3rds of my kids are not into characters at all, so I enjoyed reading about meets I have never experienced! I will look forward to a future trip report from you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter