12 yo in both edge and oceaneers?

Bing Bong

Earning My Ears
I have a daughter who is 12 on our upcoming cruise. I saw somewhere about her having to stick to either oceaneers or edge is that true or can she switch throughout the cruise?

With a 12-year-old, this is probably not an issue for you, but be aware that in order to participate in Edge, your daughter must have self check-out privileges at the Lab. She will be able to go to either area and switch between them.

When my son was that age, he went back and forth between the two. If he wanted to play with his younger brother he went to the Lab and when he wanted to be separate he went to the Edge and left his younger brother in the Lab. It worked great as both had their own in/out privileges which is a must. The 12 year old will get the best of both worlds.

With a 12-year-old, this is probably not an issue for you, but be aware that in order to participate in Edge, your daughter must have self check-out privileges at the Lab. She will be able to go to either area and switch between them.
Ok that sounds good, but how do I get her too have self check out privileges, is it on the app or do I do it on the ship?

Ok that sounds good, but how do I get her too have self check out privileges, is it on the app or do I do it on the ship?
If it wasn’t a part of online check in process then you can do it on the ship. It’s a very simple process.

It’s part of the check in procedure on the app. I did it with my 12 year old. There is a section where you agree to allow the child self check in and out.

Thanks for all the help this is our first cruise so I was a bit unsure on the specifics, especially with covid.

Per DCL website one has to be between the ages of 11-14 to enjoy the edge.

That being said, younger sIblings who are not yet 11 years old are not allowed into the Edge even with an older sibling.

They have to actually be 11, not turning 11. Sometimes, DCL will allow you to sign a waiver to allow a 10yo to get into Edge. Depends on capacity.
This is correct. Children who are 11 or 12 can "automatically" move between the Oceaneers Lab and Edge. If a child is close to turning 11, the Edge staff may choose to allow that child to participate in Edge, but it is not guaranteed. The parent would need to go with the child to Edge and ask if it's possible for that sailing and with that child. It's necessary to go with the child so the staff can get a sense of whether the child would do well with older children. Children who are approved for Edge can then go between Edge and the Lab.

Just be aware that the Edge is like middle school - much less structured activities, more little cliques of people, and very important to be there on the opening night for the introductions. It is also come and go as you please - no check in or check out, so it's not a secured facility. Many kids pop in as a meeting place or to play video games for a spell, then head out and wander the ship in little groups. You will have 8th/9th graders in there, so that may be a consideration.

My daughter is 11 so she will fall into this group - Does Edge have any scheduled events at all? Like anything where a time is set? I've made a mental note to make sure we go there on Day 1. Like scavenger hunts and such - are they scheduled?

Do any of you have previous experience with this age group and going to the Oceaneers club? Are they too old to enjoy it? I guess it varies by child. My DD was 9 on our last cruise and wen to OC some, not a ton, but seemed to enjoy when she did. But I wasn't really looking ahead then to know if older kids were present.

My daughter is 11 so she will fall into this group - Does Edge have any scheduled events at all? Like anything where a time is set? I've made a mental note to make sure we go there on Day 1. Like scavenger hunts and such - are they scheduled?

Do any of you have previous experience with this age group and going to the Oceaneers club? Are they too old to enjoy it? I guess it varies by child. My DD was 9 on our last cruise and wen to OC some, not a ton, but seemed to enjoy when she did. But I wasn't really looking ahead then to know if older kids were present.
Yes, Edge will have a schedule of activities, but it won't be in the app. She will have to go after it opens for the day (usually at 10 AM) to see what is on offer for the day. They have a little board that they write the activities on. I've attached a picture of the activities from the Dream two weeks ago. My daughter just snaps a picture at the beginning of the day so she can reference it on her phone.

My daughter is currently 13 (about to be 14) and she was SO HAPPY when she was able to go to Edge. Once she was about 10, she was pretty much over the Oceaneer Club and Lab and pretty much only went to Edge after she was 11. She'll be able to go to both Edge and Vibe on our next cruise, but I suspect she'll mostly stick to Edge for now. There's a big difference between a just turned 14 year old and a 17 year old and she mostly likes to hang out with kids at or slightly younger than her own age.

Attachments

• IMG_5274.jpg
    IMG_5274.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 34

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter