• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

10year Anniv trip becomes the trip of celebrations with Dis'ers! I'm back!!

Hello! I hope everyone is having a good Wednesday!! I know not a day most people look forward to.. but it's my day off!

I thought I would share WHERE WE ARE STAYING!! Nah.. I'm gonna see if you all can guess based on some previous stay info! Although a lot of you already know :rotfl2:

Lets start with where we have stayed in the past...

May 2009. We happened to book on the tail-end of the book 4 get 3 nights free promo! This was a stay at Caribbean Beach Resort. We enjoyed this resort. Yes it is big but we were in Jamaica across the bridge from Old Port Royale and near a bus stop so we enjoyed our stay! After the 7 nights there we moved to Wyndham Bonnet Creek for 3 nights. We own at Wyndham Bonnet Creek so thought we would check it out! The resort is really nice! However... We didn't have a Rental Car and so had to rely on their shuttle. Not the most convenient so if we would ever stay there again we would get a Rental.. However instead of doing that I have been using the points in other ways...

October 2012. We did a split stay starting at Coronado Springs. Being a better DISer I actually took some pics of our room!
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We thought CSR was okay but it wasn't anything special for us. I thought my husband would enjoy the Mexican style theming but he thought it was just like CBR but a farther walk to everything.

The second half of our stay we moved to what we now call "home" I wish it was "Home" in that we owned there but it is home because we feel the most comfortable there!
The Villas at Disneys Wilderness Lodge
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Hunter LOVED our view!
ry%3D400

Yes.. it was JUST trees!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Now.. Up above I said that we were using our Wyndham points another way.. This was how! I was able to get the room at VWL for a week on a points exchange! I was so excited when I booked it :yay:
We truely loved it here and thus was born a place we will always stay at least some of the time!

In May/June 2013
I was able to go on a solo trip.. I was trying to do it on a budget so no WL for just me.. Instead I did a Split, Split, Split stay...
2 nights at Pop, 3 at POR, 4 nights Swan, 1 Night AsMo
I DO have pictures of most of these rooms... Or I thought I did! I just went to upload them and I didn't see them.. Oh well..

Starting with POP. Unknowingly I was upgraded to a KING bed preferred room. I liked that I didn't have to walk to far to get to the Bus! Unfortunately I wasn't really there long enough to explore the resort more!

Moving to POR. I feel in love with this resort! It has the same peaceful feeling that WL has! I knew Hunter would enjoy it as well if I could convince him to stay elsewhere besides WL!

The Swan! The location was GREAT! The room not so much! My first room assigned had an awful MUSTY smell. So they moved me to another room... It was much the same.. I was informed they were planning renovations so hopefully those smells are no more!

I ended the trip with a night at ASMo. Since this was just one night I didn't get the feel of the resort at all. I mainly booked it for the free ME to the airport and it was cheaper than the Swan!

October 2013 Hunter informed me to late that he was willing to go to WDW again for me to do the timeshare exchange... Instead I booked us a night at POP (again for free ME!) 2 nights at the Dolphin for the F&W Class, and then 8 nights at WL!

Pop was a failure! It might be an option if it was just me but with Hunter its a definite NO! The room was HOT! We called for AC service.. They said 30min... we stayed awake (it's already after 1am!) and they finally showed.. at 9am! We had also requested a King bed... This was NOT granted.. I thought since I had been given one without asking in May that if I asked it would be no issue. This was not the case...

The Dolphin was nice. The beds are VERY comfortable! Except we again had an AC issue. They at least came to TRY and fix it... 3 times! We would stay here again for the right rate! (or in conjunction with the F&W classic)

From there it was to HOME... the Wilderness Lodge. I had again requested a King bed.. When we checked in we were told there was none available.. I asked if there would be one the following day.. they went and checked and YES! There was! Wo-Hoo!! So we had one night in our 6th floor room with a view of the castle! and then 7 nights on a first floor room with a sidewalk view! We will take the king bed over an awesome view! Although.. the view was really awesome! I did take pictures... they are still on the memory card in the camera...

December 2013. This was a hard stay to get booked. A lot of the hotels were not showing availability! I was finally able to get POR for 3 nights and WL for 4 nights after some creative booking!

At POR we were given a room in the Alligator Bayou section. It was WONDERFUL! We loved the room! and the Resort!

Moving over to WL.. We were given the KING room I requested! I was SO HAPPY!

So.. that leaves APRIL/MAY 2014... Where do you think we picked?!?!

Hi Paula - I managed to finally get over to your report! LOVE the wedding pictures! Love your dress ... you were a beautiful bride!

Ok so you said you need to eliminate 6 of the orange restaurants on your list .... just my two cents of course but I would eliminate:

Chef's de France - you said that you have been there and I do enjoy lunch here but as you said not a must for us either ...

Whispering Canyon Cafe - This is just a personal "never again" for us. Although I may reconsider breakfast, sticking with never again for dinner.

Boma - Many love Boma but we haven't been thrilled. We have had breakfast twice and dinner once. Nothing I can point out "wrong", just didn't wow us and I wouldn't go back unless staying at AKL and then probably would give breakfast one more try.

Mickey’s Backyard BBQ – we did this our first trip. It was just Ok and Andrew was 8. Food was just 'meh. Since you love the Hoop De Doo, I wouldn't add this one in.

Tusker House – This is one I can take or leave. I do like breakfast ... Andrew is with Hunter. I guess because of our feelings about Boma, I wouldn't do lunch or dinner.

Yak & Yeti – This is one of our favs. I only say to eliminate it because we just ate there in December and you said that it isn't anything special for you guys.

As for my two cents on what you should definitely keep, I say Paradiso 37 and Sanaa. I cannot wait to get back to P37. Loved the atmosphere, the drinks and the appetizers. A very fun place. And even with my feelings on Boma, we loved Sanaa. I don't like Indian food at all so it surprises me that I liked our recent lunch here so much. The bread service and butter chicken are drool-worthy. And you can't beat the view ... it is nice to sit and watch the animals.

Probably should have followed Brenda's example but couldn't resist adding my two cents. What I have definitely learned is that no matter what you plan, the trip will be wonderful even if a meal is "less than perfect". Something else always makes up for it!

Just a wild guess Paula but I say you are staying in the Ft. Wilderness campgrounds and cabins since it feels a little like home! :laughing:

Thank for letting me push my way into your dining line up and book something for the 4 of us already.

To add to Vicki's wise words... sometimes you find something new that you wouldn't have tried had you planned in advance and that can make for a new favorite. I tend to go with the places that I know and love or even just like. I'm too much a creature of habit that's why my dining reviews tend to look the same! ::yes::

I think I may need to get fancy and try V&A with Michael.

My husband and I will be going in May for our 10 year anniversary as well. Dining has been the biggest issue for us in planning. I am almost afraid to book reservations b/c of the fear of changing my mind at the last minute. Thanks to everyone who has posted for all of the suggestions on good and bad dining experiences. This is helping to make my decisions easier!!

I would definately recommend Boma! It's our favourite by far! If you are only gonna go once then I would go for Dinner as it's more unusual but still paletable for those that do t like it too outrageous. Breakfast is also really yummy but it's all mostly the same with just a few unusual additions.

Hi Paula - I managed to finally get over to your report! LOVE the wedding pictures! Love your dress ... you were a beautiful bride!

Thank you! I loved my dress!

Ok so you said you need to eliminate 6 of the orange restaurants on your list .... just my two cents of course but I would eliminate:

Chef's de France - you said that you have been there and I do enjoy lunch here but as you said not a must for us either ...

This one is still open for debate...

Whispering Canyon Cafe - This is just a personal "never again" for us. Although I may reconsider breakfast, sticking with never again for dinner.

We really enjoyed this for breakfast. I think since we are staying there it might just be a drop in and see if we feel like it

Boma - Many love Boma but we haven't been thrilled. We have had breakfast twice and dinner once. Nothing I can point out "wrong", just didn't wow us and I wouldn't go back unless staying at AKL and then probably would give breakfast one more try.

Brenda I think is thinking of doing Boma for breakfast but she will be staying there... May be a bit more tricky for Hunter and I to get there so we shall see!

Mickey’s Backyard BBQ – we did this our first trip. It was just Ok and Andrew was 8. Food was just 'meh. Since you love the Hoop De Doo, I wouldn't add this one in.

I'm thinking the same

Tusker House – This is one I can take or leave. I do like breakfast ... Andrew is with Hunter. I guess because of our feelings about Boma, I wouldn't do lunch or dinner.

I think we would either see about a walk-up to Y&Y or a CS place on our AK day.. or a bus to Sanaa.. Hunter doesn't like everything scheduled so I may just leave it up in the air..

Yak & Yeti – This is one of our favs. I only say to eliminate it because we just ate there in December and you said that it isn't anything special for you guys.

As above, it could still happen but not going to make an ADR for it.

As for my two cents on what you should definitely keep, I say Paradiso 37 and Sanaa. I cannot wait to get back to P37. Loved the atmosphere, the drinks and the appetizers. A very fun place. And even with my feelings on Boma, we loved Sanaa. I don't like Indian food at all so it surprises me that I liked our recent lunch here so much. The bread service and butter chicken are drool-worthy. And you can't beat the view ... it is nice to sit and watch the animals.

P37 we are going to go to our first day I think... Sanaa is still up in the air..

Probably should have followed Brenda's example but couldn't resist adding my two cents. What I have definitely learned is that no matter what you plan, the trip will be wonderful even if a meal is "less than perfect". Something else always makes up for it!

I appreciate the opinions!

Just a wild guess Paula but I say you are staying in the Ft. Wilderness campgrounds and cabins since it feels a little like home! :laughing:

You are TOO funny!! But thank you for guessing as I can now post the answers!

Thank for letting me push my way into your dining line up and book something for the 4 of us already.

Pushing your way in?!! More like my going.. hey where so you want to dine so we can do it together!!

To add to Vicki's wise words... sometimes you find something new that you wouldn't have tried had you planned in advance and that can make for a new favorite. I tend to go with the places that I know and love or even just like. I'm too much a creature of habit that's why my dining reviews tend to look the same! ::yes::

Yes, we are habit people too.. Ie the multiple visits to CA Grill and Citricos each trip!!

I think I may need to get fancy and try V&A with Michael.

Yes.. WE need to get Fancy.. Maybe the 6th as a last dinner?!?!

My husband and I will be going in May for our 10 year anniversary as well. Dining has been the biggest issue for us in planning. I am almost afraid to book reservations b/c of the fear of changing my mind at the last minute. Thanks to everyone who has posted for all of the suggestions on good and bad dining experiences. This is helping to make my decisions easier!!

The new dining policy kind of scares me but hopefully we will know before midnight if we want to dine where we have ADR's the following day. I make lots of changes to my ADR's and plans! I also leave some lunches open to just see where we want to go that day. Dinners are usually booked in advance though and we have so many favorites that its not much variability between trips!

I would definately recommend Boma! It's our favourite by far! If you are only gonna go once then I would go for Dinner as it's more unusual but still paletable for those that do t like it too outrageous. Breakfast is also really yummy but it's all mostly the same with just a few unusual additions.

I'm not sure if we have room for another dinner is the problem! and we have 2 weeks! :rotfl2:

Will definitely be researching that one now! Thanks!

I've heard great things about Boma! For us its just hard to get to as we rely on Disney transportation.

Hello Everyone!! So I only had one guess as to where I was going to be staying on this trip!!

And Brenda! You know if those cabins had a King Bed it might very well be a possibility!! However, that is not where we will be this trip!

So.. Where will you find us?!?

April 23-April 27
you will find us at Port Orleans - Riverside with a King Bed
I booked it this was so we can spend our evenings listening to YeeHaw Bob Entertain us!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

From April 27-May 4th we will be staying at our HOME. The Villas at Wilderness Lodge! I was able to confirm another DVC exchange through RCI! This is what confirmed we were going for our 10 year anniversary!

And then from May 4-May 7th we move real far! Yup.. just moving over to a regular room at the Wilderness Lodge!

So there you have it.. 3 resorts but really only 2 lol.

I'm not sure if we have room for another dinner is the problem! and we have 2 weeks! :rotfl2: I've heard great things about Boma! For us its just hard to get to as we rely on Disney transportation.

Our ADR list for September has gotten a bit like that. We seem to have reservations for every single day and I think we should have some off site or fast food time too

I'm so jealous you got to book Wilderness through RCI. We are going to Disney on Friday for our 10 year anniversary. I kept scoping out the exchanges and finally there was room at Saratoga Springs. I hesitated and waited for my husband to get home from work to see if he would settle for SS. Then it was gone! I ended up booking at Bonnet Creek. Blah. I guess there's always next year!

As far as Yak & Yeti goes, just hit up the quick service. It's really good and easy. We love it!

Our ADR list for September has gotten a bit like that. We seem to have reservations for every single day and I think we should have some off site or fast food time too

We eat all on-site. Part of the reason we go to WDW is for the food. In fact staying "in the bubble" is what works for us. It still makes it hard to fit everything in!

I'm so jealous you got to book Wilderness through RCI. We are going to Disney on Friday for our 10 year anniversary. I kept scoping out the exchanges and finally there was room at Saratoga Springs. I hesitated and waited for my husband to get home from work to see if he would settle for SS. Then it was gone! I ended up booking at Bonnet Creek. Blah. I guess there's always next year! As far as Yak & Yeti goes, just hit up the quick service. It's really good and easy. We love it!

Bonnet Creek is nice but I would only stay there with a car.

I have on-going searches for the RCI exchanges. Unfortunately it hasn't been sending me emails like it should so around 7.5 months out I start checking all the time to see if anything pops up.

We like to sit down inside for Y&Y. With my husbands seafood allergy it's easier to avoid cross-contamination!

I wish we were there sooner while you I've had YeeHaw Bob on my Must Do list for a while. He sounds like he has a fun show. How fun would that be to have a drink and sing along with some songs. :thumbsup2

I'm probably going to regret changing our reservation for VWL since I think Michael would really like it. However, he said he really liked BLT so I changed it up for him. (And me since I added in AKL at the beginning of our trip.)

Oh and Michael mentioned the boat today too. :upsidedow

I wish we were there sooner while you I've had YeeHaw Bob on my Must Do list for a while. He sounds like he has a fun show. How fun would that be to have a drink and sing along with some songs. :thumbsup2

I'm probably going to regret changing our reservation for VWL since I think Michael would really like it. However, he said he really liked BLT so I changed it up for him. (And me since I added in AKL at the beginning of our trip.)

Oh and Michael mentioned the boat today too. :upsidedow

We can head over to POR a night when you are there if you would like! He performs Weds - Saturday I believe! It's a fabulous show and Hunter won't mind going back again!

I wish you were at VWL as well but we will make it work!! You are in a better location for all of our Epcot area meals!!

Hello everyone!! The dining for the trip continues to evolve and change but some places are slowly being eliminated! And new ones added! :rotfl2: I'm making comments on my original post and we will go from there!

California Grill x2 This is a favorite of ours and so it must make an appearance twice during the trip! Still on x2!
Citrico's x2. Same as Cali Grill! Still on x2!
Flying Fish - I've been 3x and Hunter 2x. The last time was really good so it makes the list again An ADR has been made for here!
Il Mulino - We've loved the food samples from here as part of the F&W Classic so its on the list [B]Still on my list, no official ADR yet...[/B]
Le Cellier - We had a great meal here last October and so it makes the list again Also still on the list but no official ADR
Monsieur Paul - We have only eaten here as part of a French Regional Lunch which was spectacular so would love to give it a try for a Dinner Realy should get my ADR made for this one!
Shula's - Have heard great reviews. Never been The ADR is made for here!
V&A's - We've eaten here once at the Chef's Table. this would be the regular dining room experience - the down side.. having DH pack a suit! This one has been cut from the list unless Brenda descides she wants to give it a shot!!
Hoop de Doo Review - This is a must as it is a favorite! Definitly!! Brenda we need to book this!
50's Prime Time - Been a few times. Love the fried chicken! On the list but I don't think we've made the ADR yet!
Chef's de France - Also been a few times and the meals have been good but not spectacular.. not a must ADR has been booked for this one
Liberty Tree Tavern - Have been 3x and enjoyed it all 3 times. Best sit-down in MK in my opinion Ohh Boo! I thought I had this one booked... must work on that!
Mama Melrose - We haven't been since our very first trip but my DH loved it so its on the list Pretty sure this one has been given the boot...
Raglan Road - Wonderful food. I want us to try it for dinner for the entertainment Will be going here for dinner on our first evening! Can't wait!
Whispering Canyon Cafe - Decent Food in a Fun atmosphere! Possible breakfast/lunch on our last day...
Boma - We've never been but it gets rave reviews... so breakfast or dinner?!? This one is such a hike from our resort.. still up for debate
Bongos – Never been so its on the list.. any opinions? Ehhh.. haven't even given it a second thought!
Grand Floridian Café - Never been, unsure which meal to choose Bothing definite for this one
Kouzzina – I’ve been for breakfast once, Hunter has never been I think we will pass since again hard to get to in the morning and Hunter isn't really a fan
Mickey’s Backyard BBQ – never been, any opinions? Decided to skip since we will do HDDR!
Paradiso 37 – Never been, thought it might be a place to try Planning this for lunch on our first day!
The Plaza – been once, was good, not a must do but a MK option thinking of this one on our first MK day as a light option
San Angel Inn – Been once, it wasn’t great, thinking of giving it another try This is still a possibility
Sanaa – never been but reviews are great. I’m not a Spicy food fan so it scares me a bit! I've actually made an ADR here!
Trail’s End – Never been, good reviews.. breakfast or lunch?!? This is still a big possibility!
Tusker House – I love the breakfast here. Hunter not so much.. Give lunch or Dinner a try or give it a pass? Pretty sure we will pass on this one
Via Napoli – LOVE the Pizza and Sangria.. Hunter hates that he doesn’t have much appetizer choices due to a seafood allergy Pretty sure we will keep this one just because the Pizza is SOOO GOOD!
The Wave – I’ve been once, thinking of bring Hunter Still a possible lunch option
Yak & Yeti – Good, nothing super special, have been several times An ADR has been made but still debating :confused3

I color coded them GREEN means its a must, BLUE means its almost a definite, ORANGE means I'm undecided, convince me one way or another!

New places that have come up are doing a lunch in either Japan or China. We have not eaten at either country so this is a possibility!!

Please continue to share your opinions! I will begin doing tentative daily plans soon!!

I'm here ...... well better late than never :rolleyes:
I've only just noticed the link to this thread at the bottom of your YSH review
First up - your wedding photos are adorable!
Shame we will miss you this time, we are arriving at the very end of May
How are the ADRs coming along?

:wave2: Hi Paula

Love the ADR list. I am so glad you decided to book Shula's, such great food and service

Via Napoli is always on my list for the same reason... ohhhh the pizza and ooohhhhh the Sangria

I went to San Angel for lunch with Barb and Rachel and it was my first time. I enjoyed it

I would skip Yak and Yeti- its not bad but it's nothing special

3 resort split stay. My DH would kill me if I made him move that many times but your trip looks awesome so far

Hey Paula!

I too just finally noticed the link to this PTR in your signature.

Ok, here's my opinion (for what it's worth, which isn't much :laughing:)

Six restaurants that I would give the heave ho...

Il Mulino - I've been there once, have no need to return. Too many other great restaurants at Epcot/Epcot Resort area that are better, IMHO. They do give you a complimentary glass of limoncello though (or they did when I was there a couple of years ago) and I know that Hunter is a limoncello fan. ;)

Chefs de France - For me this one is just okay. I much preferred my dinner at Bistro de Paris and would really like to try Monsieur Paul.

Mama Melrose - This one has never excited me. Been there, done that...done with that. ;)

Sanaa - I've only been here once so I really should try it again sometime before I completely cross it off my list. But for me, if I'm going to bus it all the way over to AKL then I would rather dine at Jiko.

Yak & Yeti - Since we just reviewed this one, you already know my feelings about Y & Y. If it weren't for the wontons I could easily cross this one off my list.

Tusker House - I actually have no opinion on this one since I've never eaten there, but I needed a 6th one so this is it. :lmao:

Feel free to totally disregard my opinion on all of the above...but if I should end up traveling to the World for my birthday, can I dine with you and Hunter at one of the other restaurants that you mentioned? ;) :laughing:

I would skip Boma and the Plaza, I have been to both and not been overly impressed. Mama Melrose's on the other hand turned out to be one of my very favorites last trip.

I'm here ...... well better late than never :rolleyes:
I've only just noticed the link to this thread at the bottom of your YSH review
First up - your wedding photos are adorable!
Shame we will miss you this time, we are arriving at the very end of May
How are the ADRs coming along?

Welcome! I know PTR's can sometimes be harder to locate! Okay.. How come you are going the same month as us both in the Spring and the fall but later in the month?!?!

I loved our wedding! Hunter did a good job with the planning!

The ADR's are slowly being made.. I'm sure to be rearranged some!

:wave2: Hi Paula

Love the ADR list. I am so glad you decided to book Shula's, such great food and service

I've been wanting to try this for awhile just wasn't able to fit it in! This time it will be done!
Via Napoli is always on my list for the same reason... ohhhh the pizza and ooohhhhh the Sangria

Pizza and Sangria.. how can it be beat?!?!

I went to San Angel for lunch with Barb and Rachel and it was my first time. I enjoyed it

Would you say its really worth it or just ok if I need a filler?

I would skip Yak and Yeti- its not bad but it's nothing special

WE currently have an ADR for here but I am still uncertain. Possibly thinking of just doing Flame Tree BBQ instead...

3 resort split stay. My DH would kill me if I made him move that many times but your trip looks awesome so far

It's not too bad.. I've done 4 resorts in one trip solo. We did 3 last fall. This time 2 of the resorts are the VWL to the regular lodge so not a far move. It does involve packing though...

Hey Paula!

I too just finally noticed the link to this PTR in your signature.

Ok, here's my opinion (for what it's worth, which isn't much :laughing:)

Six restaurants that I would give the heave ho...

Il Mulino - I've been there once, have no need to return. Too many other great restaurants at Epcot/Epcot Resort area that are better, IMHO. They do give you a complimentary glass of limoncello though (or they did when I was there a couple of years ago) and I know that Hunter is a limoncello fan. ;)

I think we will keep this one just as we have never been and we have really liked what they had at the Swan/Dolphin F&W classic

Chefs de France - For me this one is just okay. I much preferred my dinner at Bistro de Paris and would really like to try Monsieur Paul.

I agree. It's not a must do but it's still on the list as a maybe. WE will be tring Monsieur Paul!

Mama Melrose - This one has never excited me. Been there, done that...done with that. ;)

I think I've eleminated this one just because we have the other italian places!

Sanaa - I've only been here once so I really should try it again sometime before I completely cross it off my list. But for me, if I'm going to bus it all the way over to AKL then I would rather dine at Jiko.

You will be happy to hear that Jiko IS on the list and Sanaa is too! Different days though...

Yak & Yeti - Since we just reviewed this one, you already know my feelings about Y & Y. If it weren't for the wontons I could easily cross this one off my list.

Brenda has us down for Y&Y but still considering giving it a pass. Espescially since we have done it 3 times now. Thinking of Flame Tree BBQ at AK

Tusker House - I actually have no opinion on this one since I've never eaten there, but I needed a 6th one so this is it. :lmao:

Hunter isn't a fan of the Character meals so we will probably pass. Espescially with doing Sanaa

Feel free to totally disregard my opinion on all of the above...but if I should end up traveling to the World for my birthday, can I dine with you and Hunter at one of the other restaurants that you mentioned? ;) :laughing:

If you come to WDW for your birthday you can with Brenda, Michael, Hunter and myself at MANY of the places you haven't vetoed!

I would skip Boma and the Plaza, I have been to both and not been overly impressed. Mama Melrose's on the other hand turned out to be one of my very favorites last trip.

Boma has pretty much been ruled out with going to both Jiko and Sanaa... The Plaza is still on as a maybe.. Its between the Plaza, the Wave, and Grand Floridian Cafe on one of our MK days.

hi! found your PTR and just had to join in because 1) I met my DH online also and 2) we're going to Disney this fall to celebrate our 10 year anniversary! sorry I can't really help with your ADR dilemmas since we've only eaten at a few of those places, but i'm sure whatever you choose will be delicious! can't wait to hear more! maybe I can steal some ideas for our trip! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter