• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1 year old & rides ?

pandora174

DIS Veteran
We're headed 12/6 - 12/12 with our 1 year old son. We were just thinking of sitting him either on our lap or between us on rides like Pooh, Small World, Peter Pan, Snop White, Buzz etc. Has anyone had any trouble with this ? So far he's not freaked by crowds or loud noises (except fireworks up close). & we're taking him to Seaworld next month, so hopefully he'll be prepared for WDW. We also wanted to try the baby swap for some rides he can't do like BTMR, Dinosaur, SM etc. Anyone tried that & how exactly does it work ?

This is our first baby & our first trip to WDW with our little guy. Any advice is appreciated !!! :bounce:

Hi Pandora-
We took DD when she was 15 months and we just held her on our laps during the rides that didn't have lap bars. If there was a bar, we just put her between us. We didn't have any trouble getting her situated with us. We didn't do the baby swap on either trip, so I can't help there. Our DD loved it at that age, so hopefully your son will too.

Good Luck!

Have held first my son and now my dtr at trips to Disney. Never had any problems holding them on my lap or sitting them next to me.

We have done baby swap at BTMRR and TT with no problem. At TT you tell the CM at the beginning that you want to do it and get a ticket. The first rider gets in line with the other rider and baby go in the exit and wait at the end. Once the first rider comes off, you take the ticket with you through the exit and they put you right on. You don't get to see the little movie but that is no real loss. At BTMRR, there was no ticket, I just went in through the exit once my DH came off, and told the CM there I was doing Baby Swap and they put me right on. It was very easy both times.

We went in May 2003 with our 17mo DD. We either held her in our lap our put her between us, just as others have said. We never had any trouble. We actually had DD3 with us also, and most of the rides that are "kid-oriented"--Pooh, Small World, Peter Pan, Buzz Lightyear--we were all 4 in one "car".

We used the baby swap on Test Track, also. Tickets are used, as above listed--looks like a FastPass. We also used baby swap on Kali River Rapids at AK. There, you just sit under a nice covered area at the front of the line and wait on your party. When they get off, you simply trade the child and the other gets on. No tickets, no anything. Was a little uncomfortable--I felt like folks were looking at us like we were trying to "break in line"--but it worked well.:)

We went in May 2003 with our 10mo DD. We either held her on our laps or sat her next to us if there was a lap bar. We didn't do the baby swap. We either all rode together or my DH rode by himself. (Which was fine by me because I didn't really like the rides that he went on anyhow. Alien Encounter is just too scary for me! :p )

I do want to tell you that my 10mo DD absolutely had a great time! There is so much to see on the rides that we went on. Her very favorite was it's a small world. She just stared at everything. My husband got her reactions on tape and it was so cute! If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM!

Enjoy your trip!!!:Pinkbounc

I held our daughter in our lap almost all of the rides because they can see better. Squished down between DW and I restricted her view.

Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter