• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1,001 Questions

MamaBelle4

DIS Veteran
Okay, maybe not that many. I've been to Disney before, but this is my first time staying onsite.

For RD, how early should I plan on arriving? Say the MK opens at 9, should I arrive by 8?

I'm debating between using Disney transport or parking. We will be renting a large van for our large party. I just keep thinking driving may be our better option for fighting strollers and everything else, but I like the convenience of being dropped off right by the entrance. Which do you do?

Okay, so that was only like 4 questions but I'm sure I'll have followup questions.

We aren't rd people, we prefer to be in the parks late at night so I can't help with your first question.
On the transportation issue, we always drive down and we find that we prefer to just take our own car to the parks instead of using Disney transportation. We usually get there faster, have more control over our day and such. For us it's not a big deal to walk from the parking lot, but you might consider that there will be some extra walking at the end of a long day. Now I will say that if we are in MK for the most of the day and then plan to hop over to Epcot, we will just use the monorail but we aren't big on the busses.

Last edited:
Arriving for RD kinda depends on the season. If it is a busy time of year, I'd try to get there an hour before RD. If it is a slower time of year, getting there a half hour or so in advance should be fine!

45-60 mins should work for RD - and if you decide to take Disney transportation then you'll find that the buses are less crowded in the morning!
I don't personally have children but the Disney bus drivers are VERY accommodating to people with strollers and will wait to make sure you're settled before driving. The buses require that your strollers are folded up before boarding. I always use the buses because, for me, it's part of the experience of staying onsite. They can take 30+ minutes to arrive at the end of the night, though!

For RD I think 40 min early is fine. Maybe earlier if you're going at very high crowd levels, but I usually go when it's moderate+ crowded. Personally, I hate being in a crowd just standing around, and I'm not usually in a beeline for one specific hard-to-get ride, so I like arriving for "not quite rope drop" and getting there just about 5 min prior to open up to 15 min after. They usually start letting folks in 15-20 min early, so the initial crush is through the gates and I still have all the low crowds and get lots done.

I rely on the buses, but strollers and a big group are hectic - I often see people say they like to bus to MK ( it drops off closer that where you park and then need monorail or boat to the gates) and car for all other parks.

Often the parks will start letting people in about 15 minutes early, so plan for that too. We never go during busy times, so we'll try to arrive around a half hour before park opening.

I would definitely drive to every park except MK, where you have to park at the TTC and then either monorail or ferry over to the park. If the bus seems too unwieldy for you needs, you could always valet park at the Contempoary. For less than $20 you can park all day and just walk over to the park. With your large group that cost is minimal. But the bus is a good option too.

Before you ask any FastPass questions, you may want to review the links in my signature.

In my experience, except maybe at SUPER busy times of the year (Presidents Day weekend this year is the busiest I've ever experienced and my way worked for us), and unless you're running for some of the most popular rides (like 7D, PP, TT, Soarin', TSMM), which I don't do, there is no advantage to getting to the parks an hour early and waiting in line for the turnstiles to open and getting off of the bus right at park opening and walking through the turnstiles 10 minutes or so after the rush. That said, my way has a fair amount of caveats so it may or may not work for your family. I use my FP+ for those rides and have a more relaxing morning (and still get half a park done before lunch).

I only use disney transport. Even the times I've rented a car (needed it for other things in Florida) I park my car at my resort and rely on disney transport. I did several trips with just me and my son who was still in a stroller and I never really had issues folding the stroller and wrangling him at the same time. Just make sure that the stroller closes well (I had a special bag that was kept in the bottom of the stroller, but either my son or I could hold when the stroller was folded up on the bus). Personally, holding a stroller on an air conditioned bus seems better than a ride in a hot car to me, but I know others may have differing opinions.

We always drive!! We like the convenience of being on our own schedule! Depending on the time of year you go (we go in the summer)- the thought of waiting in long lines for the buses is not appealing and takes away from our pool time!

Often the parks will start letting people in about 15 minutes early, so plan for that too. We never go during busy times, so we'll try to arrive around a half hour before park opening.

I would definitely drive to every park except MK, where you have to park at the TTC and then either monorail or ferry over to the park. If the bus seems too unwieldy for you needs, you could always valet park at the Contempoary. For less than $20 you can park all day and just walk over to the park. With your large group that cost is minimal. But the bus is a good option too.

Do they still allow you to do the valet parking at the Contemporary for the purpose of going to the park instead of the resort?

For RD I think 40 min early is fine. Maybe earlier if you're going at very high crowd levels.... Personally, I hate being in a crowd just standing around, and I'm not usually in a beeline for one specific hard-to-get ride, so I like arriving for "not quite rope drop" and getting there just about 5 min prior to open up to 15 min after. They usually start letting folks in 15-20 min early, so the initial crush is through the gates and I still have all the low crowds and get lots done.

Exactly what I would have written.

We tend to drive if we are not going to the MK. It's less convenient.

We are not big breakfast eaters. We try to arrive 45 minutes before stated park opening. We use that time to eat granola bars or beignets and to apply sunscreen.

Don't take the bus. For the love of whatever deity you worship, take your own transportation if you have it. It takes forever to get anywhere on the bus.

I like driving to every park except the MK. I always do drop drop and usually get to park at a distance that I don't mind walking. I ride the tram at times and find it not crowded that early in the morning. I actually don't mind any park bus at morning drop drop.......but I really hate waiting for a bus in the late afternoon or the closing nightmare. I just find it faster to get back to the resort in my car.
Personally....I have always found it a little more complicated when I am traveling with a large group. That alone would make me lean towards driving and letting anyone in the group that wanted a different schedule to have the option to ride the bus. (Only my opinion)

Last time I was there we stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge and the buses were a nightmare. It takes forever to get anywhere from AKL (except AK) and the wait for the buses was also ridiculous. The morning we went to Magic Kingdom we waited 45 minutes for a bus and when one finally came it only allowed a couple people on. We missed the park opening. That night coming home, we waited a really long time with a tired cranky kid watching multiple buses for other resorts come and go. Not sure if it's just that resort or what, but it was a frustrating experience.

Last time I was there we stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge and the buses were a nightmare. It takes forever to get anywhere from AKL (except AK) and the wait for the buses was also ridiculous. The morning we went to Magic Kingdom we waited 45 minutes for a bus and when one finally came it only allowed a couple people on. We missed the park opening. That night coming home, we waited a really long time with a tired cranky kid watching multiple buses for other resorts come and go. Not sure if it's just that resort or what, but it was a frustrating experience.

Yeah busses are either a hit or miss, which can be frustrating. But I would have to say that most of the time the bus wait is never longer than 20 minutes or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter