• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

04/13 Grand FL Cafe & 04/14 Marrakesh

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
Friday the 13th dinner at Grand FL Cafe -- :cool1:
First time for us, 2 adults. Used the DDE discount card.

I had ice tea to drink. DH stuck with water since he was planning an early morning run for Saturday.

DH started with the Soup of the Day, which was a seafood soup. I asked our server what the seafood was. She was a little flustered because she did not know. :rotfl2: I told DH that could make quite a difference. It could be shrimp, or whatever the catch of the day is. :confused3

Two types of fresh bread came out, and DH's soup soon after.

I think the seafood in the soup was the catch of the day, which was maui maui. :confused3 Just guessing as DH said the fish was VERY good and almost like a white meat. He did like the soup. But as a warning to anyone it might be an issue for -- it was a VERY tomatoey base, with a slight kick to it. The kick was not the issue for DH. But he said it was a too heavy for his taste on the tomoto base. He said it was almost paste. He ate it all and said it was not bad. But I don't know he would order it again.

DH's meal was followed by the Prime Rib: slow-roasted and served with seasonal vegetables, with red bliss mashed potatoes and au jus

I had the Meatloaf, with red bliss mashed potatoes, green beans and Marsala wine mushroom gravy.

DH said the Prime Rib was VERY GOOD. It looked like a nice cut of meat and he said it was. He thought their price for their quality of prime rib was very good. Probably the best he had eaten for the price.

Both of us raved about the veggies. :cloud9: They were SO GOOD. FRESH, crisp, and lots of butter flavoring. We each must have raved 3 - 4 times about our veggies. And the mashed taters were very good too. Red skins with some of the skins remaining, and VERY creamy.

The meatloaf was good, esp with the gravy. I would probably try something differnet next time. But really all their food looked good.

We were way too full for dessert. I couldn't even finish my meal.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Lunch yesterday was unusual, because I had booked a lunch at Alfredo's. But once seated, we were not waited on. Although people coming in some time after us were waited on right away. We were not in a hurry, which was why we initially kept waiting. But that ticked off DH, so we went to Restaurant Marrakesh where we were immediately seated without an ADR. (It was around 12:45 by this time.)

Yesterday was HOT (almost 90) so it was a perfect day for their fresh mint ice tea. :love: (I love their mint tea hot or cold.)
Service as usual was VERY good. And we got to watch the belly dancer while waiting for our food and during half of our dining. The musicians played a little longer than the dancer danced. SO we had music most of the time.
VERY relaxing out of the hot sun and humidity.

DH ordered Couscous with Lamb Shank. I ordered Chicken Couscous. And literally half of our meals are in our refrigerator. They were good, as expected. Just a lot of food. Their meats are so tender.

We left enough room for dessert though. Which was not too much of an issue since their desserts are not heavy and filling anyway.

I ordered the Bastilla - crispy leaves of pastry topped with vanilla cream and sprinkled with toasted almonds (for one). And I could not believe it was for one person! (Although I did eat it all! :rotfl: ) Two easily could have shared it. It was sweet, but not overly sweet. Almost like a GOOD cream puff, but the puff pastry would be flat, and the cream all melted. Unusual dish, but very good.
DH had Marrakesh Delight - fresh fruit salad topped with mint ice cream, toasted almonds and orange blossom water. :love: He loved it. And he could not believe all the GOOD and variety of fruit in this dessert.

Another :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 (And of course used the DDE card here too.)

Both meals were very good! :woohoo: :hug: :cheer2:

Oh wow, I would have walked out on Alfredos too! Good move on your part and I am glad Marrakesh didn't disappoint! Thank you for your great reviews!

Thanks for the review. We have eaten at Both GFC and Marrakesh and enjoyed them both. I have to agree with you about the mint tea at Marrakesh, it is great. I wish I could buy it somewhere outside Disney. :)

thanks for the GFC review - i had the prime rib there in september, and really liked it a lot too!

Thanks for the review. We have eaten at Both GFC and Marrakesh and enjoyed them both. I have to agree with you about the mint tea at Marrakesh, it is great. I wish I could buy it somewhere outside Disney. :)

It's certainly a lesser substitute for Marrakesh, but I try to get my mint tea fix with Bigelow's Plantation Mint. In fact, that sounds good right now...

I loved your review. I've always wanted to try Restaurant Marrakesh, and I'm a huge fan of Bigelow's Plantation Mint. :coffee: It's the closest I've found to what my grandma used to make with mint she grew in her garden. How does the Marrakesh tea compare to that?

Pat

194 days and counting . . . again!

I've always wanted to try Restaurant Marrakesh, and I'm a huge fan of Bigelow's Plantation Mint. :coffee: It's the closest I've found to what my grandma used to make with mint she grew in her garden. How does the Marrakesh tea compare to that?

It's more intensely flavored, with fresh mint (and this description does not do it justice by a long shot). :)

Glad you enjoyed both of you meals. We had lunch at GFC on the last day of our trip in September and it was excellent. Sorry you missed dessert there it's a treat.

Restaurant Marrakesh is one of our must do places each trip. I love the mint tea too. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the reviews! We love Marrakesh but have never had dessert. Now I know what to order.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter