“Would You Like an Adventure Now?" A July PTR *Updated 8/1

The split stay sounds like a great compromise! WL is my personal favorite. But, I love the idea of staying in the Epcot/HS area and I think we'll try the Swan on our next adults trip. Switching resorts shouldn't be a big deal since it's just the 2 of you. Very exciting!

I'm enjoying all your plans. You've made excellent choices and where to stay to work best for you and your family. This is going to be a great trip!

Unfortunately, no. Alex is still adamant that he has no desire to try a moderate.
Why doesn't he want to try a moderate? Any particular reason? Just curious... Everyone is allowed to have there preferences....

We’re staying at an AirBnB offsite.
Que Record scratch! Ha!

For starters, Evelyn hates sharing a room with Landon. When we went to Cornwall in September, Landon kept her up the first night and she was a cranky, mean mess the following day. And then the second night, he woke up super early and caused her to get up which in turn lead to her waking US up. Landon doesn’t sleep. He never has and probably never will. Whereas Evie loves her sleep. Needs it to be her happy, amazing self. And usually at Disney, Landon’s so tired he usually cooperates, but we’d still have a fight every night with Evie. She’d cry and whine about Landon and it would get real old, real quick.
That is a good reason... Sharing 1 room is tough with a family of 4 especially when the kids are still little.

Plus, we're big breakfast people, so having a kitchen to cook eggs everyday was really appealing.
No cooking for me on vacation! I cook all day and night at home. It's a rule for me personally.

Because WL was our first choice and a new resort, we decided to stick with our gut and book 4 nights there.

Except that lasted for approximately two days. We booked the room Saturday afternoon, and by Monday we had changed our plans. :rolleyes2:laughing:
Ha! I love the changing of mind almost immediately! We all do it!

Alex and I will be staying 2 nights at Wilderness Lodge and 2 nights at the Swan Resort.
Woo Hoo! It's perfect! I think you will love the Swan even more with going into the parks. That area is just great!

Hopefully, Wilderness Lodge will make up for it. And who knows? We might fall in love with the resort and realize we want to stay there every trip from now on. You never know.
Wilderness Lodge is amazing as well. We haven't stayed as it has gotten pretty pricey. I am glad you were able to get a military discount!

I am so excited for you to be staying at my "home"!

I'll be honest, it was reading your report that really put WL on my radar! You just sounded like you had the most relaxing time there.

Yay! I think the split stay adults to is going to be really nice. Best of both worlds.

I'm really happy with our decision and think it was the best choice.

I’m sorry your mum has had a rough year and hope things are looking up for her now. I’ve no doubt the thought of spoiling her gorgeous grandkids will be a highlight in 2022. Grandchildren are definitely good for the soul and so much fun to boot!
Your split stay sounds perfect to me. I’ve never stayed at WL but it looks magnificent plus as Susan said , relaxing at Geyser Point with an adult beverage watching the EWP sail by is the perfect pastime for two child-free adults.

All the talk of WL here on trip reports put the bug in my ear, and now I can't wait to try it for myself. I think our first night is going to be spent doing exactly that, watching the EWP at Geyser Point, enjoying NOT being the parent answering a million questions. :rotfl:

I think that split stay sounds perfect. Truly the best of both worlds.

Since this is going to be a "splurge" trip we decided to go all in and stay at both places we wanted.

The split stay sounds like a great compromise! WL is my personal favorite. But, I love the idea of staying in the Epcot/HS area and I think we'll try the Swan on our next adults trip. Switching resorts shouldn't be a big deal since it's just the 2 of you. Very exciting!

I'm surprised we haven't stayed at WL yet, given its popularity, it sort of feels like one of those experiences we need to try for ourselves.

I'm enjoying all your plans. You've made excellent choices and where to stay to work best for you and your family. This is going to be a great trip!

We are all ready for this trip. It's been so fun listening to the kids talk about it. This is the first time they are really involved in the planning, and I think it adds to the pre-trip excitement.

Why doesn't he want to try a moderate? Any particular reason? Just curious... Everyone is allowed to have there preferences....

He dislikes how spread out the resorts are, and for the rooms he's getting he'd rather save some money and stay at a value or spend more a stay deluxe. Plus, the themes have never appealed to him. Personally, I am waiting until the kids get older and then I'm hoping I can convince them to try one with me.

Sharing 1 room is tough with a family of 4 especially when the kids are still little.

Traveling so much overseas, we've stayed in all types of places, and I am ready for a little normalcy with a house on vacation. :rotfl:

No cooking for me on vacation! I cook all day and night at home. It's a rule for me personally.

I'm that way with driving. I hate driving and have to do it so much at home, schleping the kids to school and after-school activities that when I'm on vacation I don't want to worry about it. Fortunately, Alex doesn't mind and knows when we're driving to and from the Airbnb it's all his job.

I think you will love the Swan even more with going into the parks. That area is just great!

I agree!

We haven't stayed as it has gotten pretty pricey. I am glad you were able to get a military discount!

I have been so out of the loop on all things Disney since moving overseas, that I didn't realize in 2018 Disney implemented a sliding scale for military discounts. So they adjust the discount based on time of year. So, unfortunately, the discount we got was definitely wayyyy less than I had projected, but I'm grateful for anything. Every little percentage helps with Disney resort prices!

I'll be honest, it was reading your report that really put WL on my radar! You just sounded like you had the most relaxing time there.
It really was the loveliest stay. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. We are not back there until our December trip. March is a SSR/OKW split and my August solo trip is Poly/AKL. Of course I will get to Geyser Point both trips for dinner and drinks!

We’re staying at an AirBnB offsite.

:scared1::sad2:

As you say, times are changing and it's actually not bad to stay offsite now. The bus service is abysmal and I find myself taking Lyfts more and more anyway. Might as well save a TON of money offsite (I stayed at Uni last trip and went to Disney 2 of those days). The rooms aren't even themed anymore- they are hardly even recognizable as Disney rooms. Sad. So I get it. I really do.

And Alex and I are getting a four night kid-less trip!!!

:cheer2::worship:

Yay!!!

That's WONDERFUL! How fun for your two!!

I have no hope of reading all of the the chatter now that I'm so far behind from my move, but now that my own TRs are caught up I can start to catch up everywhere else!! It's good to be back in what I hope is regular DISGroove again! :)

He dislikes how spread out the resorts are, and for the rooms he's getting he'd rather save some money and stay at a value or spend more a stay deluxe. Plus, the themes have never appealed to him. Personally, I am waiting until the kids get older and then I'm hoping I can convince them to try one with me.
I get that. I would say that Caribbean Beach doesn't feel as big as it used to, now with the Skyliner. Most rooms are close to one of the 2 Skyliner stops of the main building. Or French Quarter! It's not big at all. But only bus transportation which i ding it for.

I'm that way with driving. I hate driving and have to do it so much at home, schleping the kids to school and after-school activities that when I'm on vacation I don't want to worry about it. Fortunately, Alex doesn't mind and knows when we're driving to and from the Airbnb it's all his job.
Andy is that way with driving even though I am the one doing most of the kid schleping... ha! Which is why I am super sad about Magical Express.

I have been so out of the loop on all things Disney since moving overseas, that I didn't realize in 2018 Disney implemented a sliding scale for military discounts. So they adjust the discount based on time of year. So, unfortunately, the discount we got was definitely wayyyy less than I had projected, but I'm grateful for anything. Every little percentage helps with Disney resort prices!
There are so few "normal" rooms now at Wilderness Lodge, that the rate goes up fast! And it's a shame, as we used to love staying there.

Hello! I just stumbled across your PTR, as we are also planning on going in July. Funnily enough, my son will have just turned 9, and my daughter will also be 6! I am terribly jealous of your kid-free time! My husband and I did that a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it.

Great start to your PTR. Looking forward to reading more! :)

Brilliant idea to do a split stay. Best of both worlds. Plus I'm sure switching resorts won't be as big of a deal without the kids.

I’m catching up on all the wonderful pre trip plans of several people and I love your plans. I think the split stay is a great idea. Both resorts have there own good things and both are close to different parks!
We are staying at WL in April for the first time, I’m really excited for the stay and GP.
I have had the Swan booked several times and always cancel for something else, lol 😂 one of these trips we will be staying there.
We have done many split stays and it really isn’t to bad changing resorts. It is fun to experience different ones I think!

my August solo trip is Poly/AKL.

Oh my, that sounds wonderful! AKL is my favorite deluxe, with Poly as a close second. I think if I had to pick two dream resorts to stay at, those would be it. :goodvibes

times are changing and it's actually not bad to stay offsite now.

Now that the kids are older and don't need as many breaks, I think we'll be spending more time in the parks. So why pay the astronomical prices for a room we really won't use to its full potential.

It's good to be back in what I hope is regular DISGroove again! :)

Have you gotten internet set up at the RV? I know you're not there during the days you work, but I am sure on your days off you'll want to be able to relax in your home and get online.

Which is why I am super sad about Magical Express.

I still can't believe Disney let that service go...

Hello! I just stumbled across your PTR, as we are also planning on going in July. Funnily enough, my son will have just turned 9, and my daughter will also be 6! I am terribly jealous of your kid-free time! My husband and I did that a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it.

Great start to your PTR. Looking forward to reading more! :)

Another July planner! Welcome! :wave2:
I think this will be a great age to take the kids. They're still young enough be enthralled with the magic but old enough to be independent. I really can't wait. Are you all staying onsite? Have your park days picked out?

Brilliant idea to do a split stay. Best of both worlds. Plus I'm sure switching resorts won't be as big of a deal without the kids.

I pack pretty light, so I don't think switching resorts will bother me much. I guess the only issue I could see is if I wanted to nap in the early afternoon and our Swan room isn't ready yet. But, I've been known to doze on a pool chair before so it won't be a big deal if it happens again. :rotfl:

Both resorts have there own good things and both are close to different parks!
We are staying at WL in April for the first time, I’m really excited for the stay and GP

I can't wait to hear what you think of WL!

I do like that we'll be close to two different areas of WDW property. Hoping we can use that to our advantage and cut travel time to certain places.

I have had the Swan booked several times and always cancel for something else, lol

I hope you do stay there one day. Honestly, I find it hard to want to book elsewhere now. The prices are just so much more reasonable compared to the other Epcot resorts, and I had no complaints about the room.

Let’s talk tickets and park days, shall we?

I know plans can change (I need look no further than my hotel plan for that) but as of right now, this is what Alex and I are thinking our plan of attack will be.

The kids will have 5 day military park hopper with Genie + tickets, and us adults will have 9 day park hopper with Genie + tickets. Originally, we were going to purchase two sets of military tickets for Alex and myself, but the 9 day MYW option was cheaper if we go through Shades of Green.

The same for adding the Genie + option. I figured since we’re saving money on the tickets, we might as well suck it up and get the Genie + option. Being away from the parks for three years, we’re going to want to ride as much as possible, and with the upcharge rolled into the ticket price, I don’t find myself grumbling about it as much. I just look at it is a 15 dollar a day increase in tickets.

The four of us are ALSO getting the 2 Day Park to park Freedom Pass for Universal Studios.

We’re going back to Universal!!!

:cheer2:

Hooray!

The last time we went to Universal, Landon was three and Evie was 6 months old.

Since then, both have discovered Harry Potter and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the series. Landon’s currently reading Book 5 with me, but Evie has listened up to Book 4.

They especially love Lego Harry Potter and play with their sets most weekends.

If I’m being honest, I think Landon might be more excited to visit the WWoHP than Disney.:sad2: He wants an interactive wand, wants to drink Butterbeer, and really wants to ride the Hogwarts Express.

Living in the U.K., my family has had the opportunity to experience a lot of cool Harry Potter stuff. We have toured the Studios set:

And visited Shambles Market, the inspiration for Diagon Alley.

Saw the spot where Harry flew on Buckbeak in HP 3 was filmed. (The Glen Etive in Scotland)

We’ve been to King’s Cross and seen Platform 9 and 3/4s. Browsed countless of HP shops, have gotten plenty of HP immersion.

It’s not enough for Landon, though. He wants the Wizarding World, and now that he is tall enough for all the attractions within the land, we figured now was a good time to take him.

Honestly, I’m not complaining. Frozen butterbeer has to be one of my favorite all time park snacks and Escape from Gringotts one of my favorite coasters. If someone wants to go to Universal so I can enjoy those things again, I’m all for it.

So. The tentative outline of our park days looks like this:

Day 1: Check In to AirBnB. Try to go to Disney Springs and activate our tickets. Resist the urge to be lazy and crack open an adult beverage by the pool and then regret my choices the following morning when I’m at the ticket counter with the masses activating our tickets.

Day 2: Disney Park

Day 3: Disney Park

Day 4: Disney Park

Day 5: Rest. Alex will be miserable. I will be grateful. The kids will be pruney from the pool.

Day 6: Disney Park

Day 7: Disney Park

Day 8: Rest Day. Alex will probably refuse and go to Disney Springs. I’ll insist he bring me back a Cold Brew from Gideon’s. The kids will still be prunes but I imagine much more tired prunes.

Day 9: Universal Day

Day 10: Universal Day

Day 11: Kids Leave/Hopefully a Disney Park for Alicia and Alex

Day 12: Still just the adults at Disney

Day 13: Starting to feel kind of cruel writing it, but yep. No kids at Disney. Also might be a mostly down day. Like Alex will agree to three down days…All right, a down day for Alicia while his commando touring self gets in some solo park time.

Day 14: Final day of Disney parks. Wow, that was a depressing sentence. Can’t dwell on THAT.

Day 15: Departure day.

It took a lot of back and forth with Alex to agree on this schedule. Alex wanted to do four straight park days, then take a break, but I remember on our trip in 2019, after three days I was wiped. With it being July and the kids still young, I really do think a 3-2-2 style will be the best system.

What would you all have done if given the same tickets? Maybe 2-3-2? Or 5 and 2 with 2 days off in the middle?

I’ll go into each park day’s plans later, but for now I wanted to lay out the overall schedule. Baby steps, right? Now that I know the days, I can start focusing on the more intricate details, like how I’m going to fit in all these snacks my kids want to eat!

I think you have the rest days in the right spot. I am with Alex on wanting to be in the parks everyday but DH has made me take breaks. I am very appreciative after because I really needed the break.

We want to stay at a Disney resort again, try someplace new, but we always want to go back to the Swan. Ergo....

Alex and I will be staying 2 nights at Wilderness Lodge and 2 nights at the Swan Resort.
I like it! Makes a lot of sense. It really isn't as big of a deal to do a resort change with just 2 adults and you get to experience the best of everything!
The four of us are ALSO getting the 2 Day Park to park Freedom Pass for Universal Studios.

We’re going back to Universal!!!
Awesome! It's great that you get to go back while the kids can experience more of it and are excited about HP.
Check In to AirBnB. Try to go to Disney Springs and activate our tickets. Resist the urge to be lazy and crack open an adult beverage by the pool and then regret my choices the following morning when I’m at the ticket counter with the masses activating our tickets.
The struggle to resist that urge is real!
Rest. Alex will be miserable. I will be grateful. The kids will be pruney from the pool.
I can relate to Alex. I'd be pacing around wanting to do something.
No kids at Disney. Also might be a mostly down day. Like Alex will agree to three down days…All right, a down day for Alicia while his commando touring self gets in some solo park time.
Sounds like a win/win situation to me!
What would you all have done if given the same tickets? Maybe 2-3-2? Or 5 and 2 with 2 days off in the middle?
What are these off days that you refer to? :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

The same for adding the Genie + option. I figured since we’re saving money on the tickets, we might as well suck it up and get the Genie + option. Being away from the parks for three years, we’re going to want to ride as much as possible, and with the upcharge rolled into the ticket price, I don’t find myself grumbling about it as much. I just look at it is a 15 dollar a day increase in tickets.
That's a good way to look at it.
The last time we went to Universal, Landon was three and Evie was 6 months old.
The cuteness in this picture!🥰
Since then, both have discovered Harry Potter and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the series. Landon’s currently reading Book 5 with me, but Evie has listened up to Book 4.
Reading HP with your littles is such a magical experience. My boys adored those books and it was so fun to read them together.
If I’m being honest, I think Landon might be more excited to visit the WWoHP than Disney.:sad2: He wants an interactive wand, wants to drink Butterbeer, and really wants to ride the Hogwarts Express.

Living in the U.K., my family has had the opportunity to experience a lot of cool Harry Potter stuff. We have toured the Studios set:
Sounds amazing!! You will have the best time touring HP land in Universal.
Saw the spot where Harry flew on Buckbeak in HP 3 was filmed. (The Glen Etive in Scotland)
Stunning!
Day 13: Starting to feel kind of cruel writing it, but yep. No kids at Disney. Also might be a mostly down day. Like Alex will agree to three down days…All right, a down day for Alicia while his commando touring self gets in some solo park time.
Perfect! Self care is a good thing.
It took a lot of back and forth with Alex to agree on this schedule. Alex wanted to do four straight park days, then take a break, but I remember on our trip in 2019, after three days I was wiped. With it being July and the kids still young, I really do think a 3-2-2 style will be the best system.
I think that is perfect! Even when I do back to back park days, I never stay for the whole day. I usually go for 3-4 hours, take a break and go back later. My Christmas trip where I did 3 commando days, I was so tired I fell asleep in FoLK!

I like the schedule with the rest days interspersed throughout your stay. My goal is next trip to have a longer stay so we can work in a rest day. Or at least a no park day. I think my DH would love that. Your trip is coming up - July will be here before you know it!

I promise I'll be back to reply, but for right now, I had to pop in here and say that I am shocked at how out of the loop I am with the theme parks right now.

***Ticket Update***

Last night, Alex called Shades to finish our ticket order, and the woman on the line had to politely tell us we had the Universal Freedom Pass Tickets wrong.

They're not 2 days, 2 park to park tickets.

They're entrance INTO the 2 parks. For everyday.
They don't come with free parking or discounts in shops or restaurants, but the tickets grant you entrance until December.

:eek::eek:

How in the world did Alex I miss that?!
Had we known we were getting pseudo-Annual Passes to Universal, we would have adjusted our trip plans! Purchased a few less days at Disney and saved us some money, or we would have extended our AirBnB by another night or two to get a few more days at Universal.

Yeesh.
Rookie move, Alicia. ROOKIE MOVE.

So now the question will be, do Alex and I try to work in more Universal time during our kid-less trip? Or do we stick with Disney since we've paid for those tickets and don't want to waste them? Anyone ever split the days between the two locations? Universal in the morning and Disney at night? Is that even feasible with the drive time and security checkpoints?

Someone else please tell me you've made a Disney blunder when planning a trip to help ease my embarrassment. I need to know I'm not a complete unknown when it comes to vacation planning. I also need to stop dwelling on all the money I flushed down the toilet by buying 9 Day MYW tickets, when I could have just purchased a Military Disney ticket and used our Universal tickets for the rest of our time. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter