“Disney is not my favorite vacation – What?? Are You Related to Me?” PTR

MeandMyBoys

Mouseketeer
I have been the very grateful beneficiary of lots of information about touring Disney from the wonderful folks here at the DisBoards, but as you can see from my post total, I don’t post very often. I have decided to venture into uncharted waters and try my hand at a Pre-Trip Report for our August 2009 trip.

But before I begin, let me share some of that very helpful information. Had it not been for the DisBoards, I would never have known about the wonder that is the Dole Whip at Aloha Isle in MK. :love: Now, I prefer the swirl with vanilla ice cream, but however you like yours, it is truly a wonder of cold deliciousness. Had it not been for the DisBoards, I would never have known about the Lapu Lapu at Ohana – in fact, I would never have tried Ohana! Had it not been for the DisBoards, I would never have known about the frozen lemonades at DHS (which will always be known in my mind as MGM, but that’s my own issue). You could probably get those frozen lemonades in many places, but they never taste as good as they do in DHS. In fact, during the Year of a Million Dreams, I got one for free (well, two, because DH got one too). :cool1: Had it not been for the DisBoards, I would never have known about the creamy deliciousness that is the cheddar cheese soup at Le Cellier or the deliciousness of the margaritas in Mexico. Now I’m not really sure that I can give you all credit for our discovery of the Dawa Bar in Animal Kingdom. :rolleyes1 I believe that DH and I discovered that on an adults-only trip during a torrential downpour, but I’m sure that I would never have known about the Flame Tree BBQ without you!

I want to give you some background and tell you about how this trip came about, but first, let me introduce you to our cast of characters:

Me: Ariel, aged 41, Disney obsessed overplanner. I am anxiously awaiting the release of the August park hours so I can plan our days and make ADRS. I started my grown-up life as an English teacher, went to law school, but decided I didn’t like practicing law and have ended up teaching part-time for a local university. My main job in life is stay at home mom. I’ve been PTA President and currently serve on our local school board. So I guess I’m pretty much the butt of many jokes – a lawyer and a politician, all wrapped up into one :rotfl2:! I chose Ariel because of my red hair and love of the Little Mermaid, but my favorite characters are Tigger:tigger: and Tinkerbelle :tink:.

DH: Grumpy, aged 39 (yes, I’m a cradle robber :eek:). He will celebrate his 40th birthday before our trip, but this trip is a part of his birthday celebration :cheer2:. Grumpy doesn’t love Disney quite as much as I do, but he really does like it. He is a teacher with a special assignment – he coordinates a law related education program. He was a lawyer first and a teacher second – the opposite of me! He’s really not very Grumpy, but he owns several Grumpy t-shirts, plus a Grumpy beer glass, so I decided it would fit!

DS #1: Mickey, aged 12. Mickey is a brilliant child who suffers from some anxiety issues. He has problems with tactile issues – texture of clothing and food. He is the world’s most finicky eater. We say that he’s on the white food diet – cheese, yogurt, pasta, milk, cheese (again), bread, peanut butter, more cheese :sad2:. He does not eat vegetables nor does he eat meat. At first, the meat thing was by preference, but he told me about a year ago that he doesn’t eat animals. So he’s not a vegetarian because he doesn’t eat vegetables – I’m not sure what he is :confused3 ! He’d like to be either a veterinarian or a rock star when he grows up. His favorite character is Mickey.

DS #2: Goofy, aged 10. Goofy really shouldn’t be Goofy, because he’s much more serious than that! Goofy is the middle child and suffers quite a bit from middle child syndrome. He’s such a good boy and everyone always says what a pleasant child he is. He’s funny and smart and creative. He loves to read and write. I have been absolutely blown away by some of his writing. He truly has a gift. He’s a sweet and loving boy who always tries to make sure that everyone feels included and welcome. Thankfully, he eats more food than his older brother!! His favorite character is Goofy. Goofy is the originator of the title of this PTR. We were discussing favorite vacations one day in the car and he informed me that Disney is not his favorite vacation. I think it’s number 3, after Washington, DC and Hilton Head Island. My response was, “You’re breaking my heart. Who are you? Are you related to me? :rolleyes1

DS #3: Stitch, aged 7. He will turn 8 on the day that we’re driving to Florida. We will also be celebrating his birthday. This will be his 3rd Disney birthday celebration – his brothers don’t think that’s fair!! To say that he’s the baby of the family would be an understatement! Stitch is a total Mama’s boy and his brothers believe that he’s a spoiled baby and maybe he is, but he’s my spoiled baby! Actually, there are times that he can drive me absolutely crazy, which is why it’s fitting that his name (and his favorite character) is Stitch.

I am the Queen of my castle as the only woman, but it has its downsides. I have no one who is interested in princesses or fairies. In fact, when DH and I went for an adults trip to WDW for my 40th birthday, it was my first chance to attend a princess meal. We went to Akershus, which DH didn’t mind all that much. He tells me that it’s only a matter of time before the boys discover the allure of the princesses!

We do have some secondary characters – the dogs. Katie is our beagle. The boys love her! We also have our foster dog, Sabrina. My sister recently changed apartments, and she can no longer have a dog, so Sabrina lives with us, but she’s not ours. She’s our foster dog!

I’ll follow up in the next post with some Disney background and information about how this trip came about. Well, I hope you've enjoyed this so far and are interested in reading some more!

I'm here! I'm enjoying your writing style. I'll be 40 this September. Could I talk DH into an adults only trip? Hmmm..... Can't wait to read about your plans.:goodvibes

Thanks for reading! It can be a little bit intimidating posting something and wondering if anyone will read it!! I'll check out your pre-trip report too!

DH and I have done a couple of adults only trips. Going to Disney without the kids is a completely different experience and we've really enjoyed it. Not everyone can understand why we'd choose Disney over the other options for an adult vacation, but we both enjoy it! :thumbsup2

Nothing wrong with adults going to Disney World. After all, it's the place where a kid can be a kid again!

I completely agree with you about DisBoards and how helpful everyone is. I've had nearly all my questions answered on here!

Love the report so far! Look forward to more details :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter