Walk me through scooter rental

KGmomoftwins

DIS Veteran
Hello I apologize as I’m sure these have been covered before. We are coming in August for a 4n trip and my husband will likely need a scooter. We are staying at BWI. Who should I go through? What model is the best? Is it like the strollers they need to be parked in a designated area or can he bring it to wait in line? Or if he would like to walk a bit can it be left parked somewhere? Thank you we are knew to all this as he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and neuropathy a year ago. He’s also had to spinal surgeries within the last year. He’s doing so well and doesn’t want a scooter but walking and standing that much could be painful for him. Thank you so much for any tips you can give.

Scooterbug is the partner provider. (800) 726-8284.

Depending on the attraction, is what decides how far he can ride the scooter when in the queue. Yes, there are areas to park it if he wants to walk, just remember they all use the same key so I wouldn't leave it too long.

Scooterbug is the partner provider. (800) 726-8284.

Depending on the attraction, is what decides how far he can ride the scooter when in the queue. Yes, there are areas to park it if he wants to walk, just remember they all use the same key so I wouldn't leave it too long.
Seriously they all use the same key?!

I would strongly advise against Scooterbug, if you get lucky, you get a working device, but more often than not, you get one that doesn’t work properly. Our preference is Gold Mobility, newer equipment, kept in good working condition and good customer service, but you do need to meet them in person for pickup and drop off, but they come on your schedule.

I would strongly advise against Scooterbug, if you get lucky, you get a working device, but more often than not, you get one that doesn’t work properly. Our preference is Gold Mobility, newer equipment, kept in good working condition and good customer service, but you do need to meet them in person for pickup and drop off, but they come on your schedule.
By meet them you mean at your resort?

Gold switches out their equipment on a regular basis so it is in great condition and their customer service is excellent.

They will meet you at the resort for prearranged drop off and pick up at a time that suits your needs. I’ve had flight delays and found them very accommodating in keeping up with my travel so we can adjust our planned meetings.

Your DH will find he can take the scooter in most lines. If he prefers to walk a bit, he can park it in a designated area usually near the strollers. Sometimes a CM will need to move your scooter… particularly if it’s not in the proper parking area… but they can direct you on where to find it. Never leave anything of value in it… while theft is not usually an issue, why tempt fate?

Yes, keys are interchangeable so best to leave something distinctive… jacket or whatever… to help you find yours. Honestly never been an issue.

Last edited:
Hello I apologize as I’m sure these have been covered before. We are coming in August for a 4n trip and my husband will likely need a scooter. We are staying at BWI. Who should I go through? What model is the best? Is it like the strollers they need to be parked in a designated area or can he bring it to wait in line? Or if he would like to walk a bit can it be left parked somewhere? Thank you we are knew to all this as he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and neuropathy a year ago. He’s also had to spinal surgeries within the last year. He’s doing so well and doesn’t want a scooter but walking and standing that much could be painful for him. Thank you so much for any tips you can give.
Either Gold Mobility or Walker seem to have the best reviews among people here. Which model is best? Both vendors are usually very helpful-call and ask. Generally, he3 can take the scooters through the line, occasionally having to make a bypass due to stairs.

To add on to the advice you have already seen, since many rental scooters appear identical, you can bring along something bright and colorful - like a bandana, or a length of ribbon, or even a Disney shirt, or a beach towel - and leave that on the scooter to “mark” it. That way, if the scooter does get moved while y’all are on a ride or in an attraction, you can ask the nearest CM if they have seen the scooter with the bright blue polka dot ribbon tied on the basket.

Y’all need to call the scooter vendor that you are most interested in using, and talk to the them. Part of the discussion will be around your hubby’s height/weight to make sure that he is set up with the scooter that is the best size for him. If he has (for example) any arthritis in his hands, this is when y’all could ask for a scooter with thumb controls instead of a squeeze throttle.

Last but not least, yes - you can actually go online and order a generic key that will fit at least 30% of the rentals at Disney on any given day. Rental vendors in Orlando buy huge fleets at a time, and the cost to key each one differently would be prohibitive.

Be sure to ask your rental vendor what their policy and procedure is if there is a problem after business hours.

And be sure to park the scooter *inside* your hotel room every.single.night to recharge it overnight. It’s important to keep it in your hotel room. There is ample space in every single resort hotel room at WDW for a rental scooter. If you need furniture moved or rearranged, just call Housekeeping from your room phone.

To add on to the advice you have already seen, since many rental scooters appear identical, you can bring along something bright and colorful - like a bandana, or a length of ribbon, or even a Disney shirt, or a beach towel - and leave that on the scooter to “mark” it. That way, if the scooter does get moved while y’all are on a ride or in an attraction, you can ask the nearest CM if they have seen the scooter with the bright blue polka dot ribbon tied on the basket.

Y’all need to call the scooter vendor that you are most interested in using, and talk to the them. Part of the discussion will be around your hubby’s height/weight to make sure that he is set up with the scooter that is the best size for him. If he has (for example) any arthritis in his hands, this is when y’all could ask for a scooter with thumb controls instead of a squeeze throttle.

Last but not least, yes - you can actually go online and order a generic key that will fit at least 30% of the rentals at Disney on any given day. Rental vendors in Orlando buy huge fleets at a time, and the cost to key each one differently would be prohibitive.

Be sure to ask your rental vendor what their policy and procedure is if there is a problem after business hours.

And be sure to park the scooter *inside* your hotel room every.single.night to recharge it overnight. It’s important to keep it in your hotel room. There is ample space in every single resort hotel room at WDW for a rental scooter. If you need furniture moved or rearranged, just call Housekeeping from your room phone.
Thank you! I’m calling gold mobility today. When our girls were small we made a cute sign for the stroller so I will do the same for this. I knew about inside the room we are staying in a 1 bedroom that way he can eat healthy and be more comfortable if he wants to just hang out.

Just be aware Gold only rents by the week, though they may have recently added a 3-day option. But it's a flat rate and they won't adjust if you want shorter. Other vendors rent by the day, though there may be a 2-day minimum.

Does anyone know if Gold will drop off at the Swolphin and leave it at Bell services if you’re not there to get the scooter??

Have used Scooter Bug with mixed results (battery issues) - but they are good at delivering and picking up at your hotel so you can use it to go between the parks vs the scooters at WDW which have to stay inside the park. Unless they give you a cup holder, I'd buy one on Amazon to bring with me ($10, will put the link below) - these hold both the drink AND a phone in easy reach and are typically better AND cheaper than getting one from the scooter company - awesome on strollers and bikes too. Consider bringing a heavy weight poncho that will not blow around, and some shower caps (for shoes, seat, and to cover the instrument panel) if it rains. Bring a bright colored ribbon to tie on it - makes it easier to spot if you park it and it looks like all the other scooters - a sign might be hard to see from every angle but a bright ribbon up top is easy. Never leave anything important in it if you leave it - especially items you've purchased still in bags. Food and water, and a plain sweatshirt are probably fine to leave in it but use a locker for valuables or carry them any time you leave it parked. P.S. They are FUN, be sure to ride it too ;) few places are as scooter friendly as Disney! My friend left meds at the room and since I'm a slow walker, I used it to go back for them... it was really helpful for that, and hauling food/water/backpack in the basket all day too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086TZXKMJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Be sure to ask about where the switch is for "free wheeling" mode. I knew of it but didn't know where is was. Once getting off a ride, it was in free wheeling mode and we didn't know how to switch it back and the couple of CMs around didn't know either. Took a few mins to figure it out. It's easier to move in the free wheeling mode.

Does anyone know if Gold will drop off at the Swolphin and leave it at Bell services if you’re not there to get the scooter??
Yes, they will (or used to, some bell services have been having issues and so they adjust sometimes to protect their equipment) as long as you are a guest there.

Yes, they will (or used to, some bell services have been having issues and so they adjust sometimes to protect their equipment) as long as you are a guest there.
Thanks! We’re staying at Dolphin for our trip this fall and are planning to rent my mom’s ecv with Gold. If for some reason we can’t have it delivered in the day we arrive, we’ll see if they can do it first thing the next morning.

Thanks! We’re staying at Dolphin for our trip this fall and are planning to rent my mom’s ecv with Gold. If for some reason we can’t have it delivered in the day we arrive, we’ll see if they can do it first thing the next morning.

I usually get my Mom's delivered first thing in the AM by Gold. Typically between 7-8 AM. We are from the west coast and often do not get in until later in the day, so we make do with our wheelchair the first night and really do not go out that evening.

You can rent a scooter through Disney's preferred providers for your stay at BWI. Choose a model that suits your husband's needs best. He can bring it with him while waiting in line and there are spots to park it if he wants to walk a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter