The official Team Not-So-Fast thread

Ok, speaking of marathons.... this seems like a good topic for this group. I just read that the Honolulu marathon doesn't have a pace requirement?! And they stay until the last person is done? Now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have signed up for Dopey as my first marathon. 🤣 (It's fine, I'll be fine)

Does anyone know of any other marathons with no pace requirements? Or races with a strong back of the pack? I like running at Disney because as a slow person I'm not alone.

Does anyone know of any other marathons with no pace requirements? Or races with a strong back of the pack? I like running at Disney because as a slow person I'm not alone.

NYC has a pace requirement and re-opens the streets BUT they also let you keep running on the sidewalks and they have a DJ and people stay at the finish until the last person finishes (I've actually been to the final finisher event a few times, it's a super fun vibe).

NYC has a pace requirement and re-opens the streets BUT they also let you keep running on the sidewalks and they have a DJ and people stay at the finish until the last person finishes (I've actually been to the final finisher event a few times, it's a super fun vibe).
I have seen videos of the final runner finishing in the dark at the NYC marathon, but I didn't realize that they let them run without a cutoff time. That's really quite cool that they're supportive of all of their runners.

So excited to have so many already join us! I just updated the OP to reflect the desire to either put specific times and paces behind a spoiler tag OR preface with a trigger warning. I'm not going to be thread police (and I'm not an admin with the ability to edit or remove posts), so this will just be on the honor system.

I love this discussion of not-so-fast supportive marathons. I will say that some races I thought were that or supposedly had great crowd support really meant that only to a certain point. Rock n Roll Vegas Half Marathon was one. Sure, the crowd support was there through the Strip for the first hour or so, but by the time those of us in the back third or so of the race came through, it was thin. The portion running from there to downtown and back was downright scary in spots. But crowd support ebbs and flows, to be expected. When race organizers are allowing breakdown of water stops and race structure when people well within the time limit are still on the course, that's a big problem.

@superchime I have only done WDW marathons, and they go overboard supporting everybody on course. When they had to cut it in 2020, they put tons of extra medical personnel on the course, added water stops, ice stops and did everything they could to support those of us finishing in the back. You WILL be fine!

I have seen videos of the final runner finishing in the dark at the NYC marathon, but I didn't realize that they let them run without a cutoff time. That's really quite cool that they're supportive of all of their runners.

There was something on social media of someone finishing the Boston, but not earning an Abbott Star because they finished over 6 hours after the last person crossed the start line. I believe NYC is the same where you can finish, but it doesn’t count as an official race completion.

Ok, speaking of marathons.... this seems like a good topic for this group. I just read that the Honolulu marathon doesn't have a pace requirement?! And they stay until the last person is done? Now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have signed up for Dopey as my first marathon. 🤣 (It's fine, I'll be fine)

My first marathon was as part of a Goofy (no Dopey challenge yet or I would have probably made that decision instead of the Goofy...).
Walk and jog the first 3 races and then use what is left in the tank for the marathon. And with photo stops, you'll get plenty of walk/run breaks.
You got this.

This discussion made me think about my first marathon. No numbers/paces in this.

I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in 2017 as my first marathon. It was an unseasonably hot day, and so the second half of the race was miserable and I ended up having to go much slower than I had wanted. But I finished!

The next weekend, I went to a post-tennis-season party with my husband, and one of his tennis friends was also a runner - and young, tall, and thin. We talked about my marathon. When I mentioned my time, his response was, "It's amazing how people can run for so long!" LOL! I think he meant it in a "good persistence" way, but it definitely didn't come out like that.

Yeah, that’s a comment that could definitely be taken either way, depending on the current attitude of the person on the receiving end

This reminds me of a runner's world article I read years ago where the author was interviewing the winner of Boston or NY or one of the other big marathons. The interviewer said something along the lines of "as an x-hour marathoner myself, I have to ask, how do you run that fast?" and the winner, who I'm assuming did like barely over 2hrs responded by asking "how do you run for that long?" There was a positive tone to it, so it seemed like he was genuinely impressed by someone running for that much longer of a time due to slower pace.

While the Twin Cities Marathon doesn’t have a the most generous minimum pace (faster than Disney’s), the Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10 Miler is VERY generous because you have until the slowest marathoners finish, and they start an hour after the 10 Miler

I think I qualify but I'm really trying to leave the group - no hard feelings?
No times as stipulated in the thread, but here's my story. DD10 plays LAX and joined her (small) school's running team to stay in shape in the off-season. I have not trained and not really run since my men's soccer league called it quits during COVID. We ran a 5K together but I was clearly holding her back. We ran a 2nd 5K about a month later and told her to run her pace - don't wait for me. I ran 3 minutes faster than the 1st 5k, she ran 8 minutes faster - and took first place in her age group. We left before they announced winners - really didn't think either one of us would come close to winning.

I fully expect we'll run a couple of 5Ks again next year. She'll be a year faster so definitely going to train for those - and will probably get smoked by her again. Hard to be upset about that when I'm really just so proud of her.

Speed is relative,
Indeed. In Jan it took me until mile 12 or so to catch up to someone who claims the team not-so-fast moniker.
And no matter how slow you feel like you are, there is likely someone who wishes they were that fast, or that they could participate at all (for instance, due to bad knees).
Remember that less than 1% of all Americans ever finish a marathon. So simply completing one is a feat, no matter the time. The fact that you are on this forum means you've either done it or you're thinking about it, thus already in very select company.
Plus, it is so fun to see and hear peoples' reactions when you wear a race shirt.
Also, FWIW, the average age for participants is 40. Not sure what to make of it other than it illustrates how many of us older types are out there doing this.

I'm joining as well. (Indirect reference to running pace below).

Never been that fast to begin with but I'm having some health issues so my doctor wants me to keep my heart rate below 150 BPM. That's looking like walking/slow jog until I get things resolved. I had literally signed up for the WDW marathon the same day my doctor told me to stop running, so I'm anxious about being able to finish and really enjoy the course. Based on prior POT I think I'll be in corral C, but I would love to be able to take pics, maybe go on a ride during the marathon, etc.

I'm joining as well. (Indirect reference to running pace below).

Never been that fast to begin with but I'm having some health issues so my doctor wants me to keep my heart rate below 150 BPM. That's looking like walking/slow jog until I get things resolved. I had literally signed up for the WDW marathon the same day my doctor told me to stop running, so I'm anxious about being able to finish and really enjoy the course. Based on prior POT I think I'll be in corral C, but I would love to be able to take pics, maybe go on a ride during the marathon, etc.
You’ll be fine. Not sure about a ride but you’ll definitely be able to get pictures. I stopped for a number of characters and still had some cushion to play with.

There is a discussion over on another thread about how many days per week people tend to run. I'm curious if this cross-section is the same or if we deviate.

Personally, if I'm not training for something actively, I tend to run 2 or maybe 3 days a week, and attempt to do one day of strength training. I just can't seem to stay consistent without a training plan going.

There is a discussion over on another thread about how many days per week people tend to run. I'm curious if this cross-section is the same or if we deviate.

Personally, if I'm not training for something actively, I tend to run 2 or maybe 3 days a week, and attempt to do one day of strength training. I just can't seem to stay consistent without a training plan going.
I’m trying to keep it to 3 days a week now, as opposed to turning strength days into also run days and pushing mileage more than I should

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter