How Long Do Your Trips Last?

Yeah, I sometimes marvel at the people able to go to Disney multiple times a year (like ChunkyMonkey's old trip reports where there was a new trip seemingly every month or so), but the logistics of living here mean I have to spend about $800-1000 round-trip just to fly down- I can justify it once, but not for two short trips.
Oh, wow. That would be like half my budget just on the flight. Luckily, we've either been able to get inexpensive tickets, fly with points, or drive down. My last two trips plane tickets were $200 including taxes and fees round trip. My upcoming trip, they were a little more but not too bad.

We like to go once a year and stay for 11-14 days....usually 8-day park tickets and really enjoy our downtime at the pool and DS.

We've learned over the years 5 nights or less for us is our sweet spot. Any longer we get antsy and/or bored. Plus, any longer I'll start cooking, cleaning, laundry, because eating out all meals and smelling dirty clothes gets old real fast. Also learned that 5 nights is the sweet spot for better deals.

Used to be 8-11 when I had the top tier AP.

Now we are Pixie folks so only M-F, so we go to beach for weekend, arrive at Disney Sunday, Friday check out and go to a park, around dinner head back to beach for rest of weekend.

I'd love to do the long trips, it would be less stressful but my AP says NO!

Our situation is a bit unique. We are semi-local and do a lot of weekend trips. I wish it was longer but we probably go to Disney 6+ times per year so I can't really complain. :crazy:

I go 8 nights with my husband once a year and 5 to 6 nights with my sister in law once a year. I would love to do more than 2 trips a year like I did for many years but retirement changed that. LOL But as long as I get my Disney fix 2x a year I am good

My Orlando trip run was primarily for the 50 year period 1971 - 2021 with mostly week long or four night trips annually or every other year.

Now I'm older (63), DS is grown and getting married in two weeks, I don't have grandkids, and DH who is 70 is not into theme parks or Florida these days. What that means for me is that now I just do one solo super mini annual trip (two nights in Tampa to see my favorite cousin who is in assisted living there and two nights in Orlando to see my favorite nephew who lives in Orlando (one theme park day). I usually do this trip in February which is a slow time for my nephew's business. For 2025 my one theme park day will be going with my nephew to SeaWorld -- a laid back park we both really like. It appeals to both of us more than Disney for next year. I do switch things up though and am sure I'll hit a Disney park again sometime for a day (no plans yet though and the soonest that might be is 2026). I am a Disney fan, but I've been so many times and SeaWorld just sounds really nice and more appealing at the moment. I think it's a beautiful park and I haven't been recently.

I do these trips on the cheap --points to fly and it's a quick direct flight. In Orlando I stay at my nephew's house. I do pay for meals out and entertainment for my cousin and nephew, my hotel in Tampa but all in all that's usually not all that pricey. In Tampa next year we'll visit some botanical gardens with a $6 admission, visit another nature park that has a parking fee of like $15, but that's it. A one day admission to a theme park is always pricey, but I'll just be paying for one day for two people.

It's not much but I do look forward to my mini annual Tampa / Orlando get-a-ways and my cousin and nephew look forward to them too. We say we are the three Amigos and love our annual get-together tradition.

My main vacation (traveling less not more these days) is usually somewhere out west in the summer as DH loves the west, DS and spouse do too and I love it out there also. 2025 will be a week long trip to Glacier National park in July. We'll be taking DS and spouse along on that one too. I'm looking at hitting Grand Teton National park in 2026 (will probably do that one in July too -- it's a great time to be in the mountains).

Last edited:
That all depends...
Most of the trip's I do as an FL Resident AP are day trips, but I'll do a 1 or 2 night trip 3 times annually, namely over Independence Day, Halloween Night, and New Year's Eve.

Oh, wow. That would be like half my budget just on the flight. Luckily, we've either been able to get inexpensive tickets, fly with points, or drive down. My last two trips plane tickets were $200 including taxes and fees round trip. My upcoming trip, they were a little more but not too bad.
This is why I always side eye people telling me to try the expensive hotels, lol. I work retail! I can’t go to the AK Lodge XD!

But seriously, I’m super envious of those who live ultra close and can do that. I don’t fly enough to earn many points.

This is why I always side eye people telling me to try the expensive hotels, lol. I work retail! I can’t go to the AK Lodge XD!

But seriously, I’m super envious of those who live ultra close and can do that. I don’t fly enough to earn many points.
I know what you mean. We only stay on property like 50% of the time because it’s so expensive. Done everything from
Value to Deluxe. It just depends on what deal I can find at the time. Also, how many people in our group. When we have needed 3 rooms in the past, it has been about even to go up to a deluxe condo that fits everyone, but it’s usually cheapest to get a house, so we do that more than anything.

Except when we go to Universal. I love to stay on property there. Disney I can take or leave being on property. Maybe if I could afford the Contemporary or something I’d feel different, but with the long bus rides, there’s no huge benefit like there is at Universal. I love that you can walk from any onsite hotel in 20 minutes or less there.

Our trips have gotten shorter over the last 20 years. We go about every 18 months and used to stay 8-10 days or so. Our next trip is in July and will be staying 5 days. We've gotten to the place where we don't have to do everything. One dd and I just got annual passes-we plan to do some long weekend trips to check out different festivals and events.

I am so lucky -three adult children, each parent to two grands , total of six grandkids. They go and I tag along, in my own room, to help with the grands. So I get to go at least once a year, as they each go every two to three years. They stay four or five nights each trip. Raise them right! So my longest trip has been 6 nights. I would rather go for four or five nights every two or three years to experience all the changes rather than a once on a lifetime trip, even if it meant staying off property.

I know what you mean. We only stay on property like 50% of the time because it’s so expensive. Done everything from
Value to Deluxe. It just depends on what deal I can find at the time. Also, how many people in our group. When we have needed 3 rooms in the past, it has been about even to go up to a deluxe condo that fits everyone, but it’s usually cheapest to get a house, so we do that more than anything.

Except when we go to Universal. I love to stay on property there. Disney I can take or leave being on property. Maybe if I could afford the Contemporary or something I’d feel different, but with the long bus rides, there’s no huge benefit like there is at Universal. I love that you can walk from any onsite hotel in 20 minutes or less there.
Do you miss out on a lot not getting early morning magic? I usually like that, but to be fair I usually only get on an extra ride early on. Not sure if it’s worth attempting a big ride without it or Lightning Lanes.

Generally I do a longer 8-10 day trip with my partner, then 2-3 long weekend trips solo throughout the year. I get a ton of PTO and cheap direct flights are plentiful, but I almost always fly down on points. I can't actually remember the last time I paid to fly down to FL lol. I enjoy both long and shorter trips for different reasons. But as an out of state AP my perspective is a little different. I never feel pressured even on the short trips to have everything perfect because I know I will be back sooner rather than later. The long trips are definitely more relaxing though, and I enjoy them specifically because we feel like we actually have time to do things outside the parks, like Disney Springs, more resort time, etc. But I am feeling a bit stressed about our September trip, since we just have 5 nights due to it being before a 4 night cruise on the Wish. I am kind of worried that we will sell both experiences a bit short.

Last year was our longest trip, 11 days split between Yacht Club (3 nights) and Poly (7 nights). It was absolutely our best trip to date--with that much time, we got to try so many new (to us) things, like Typhoon Lagoon which we absolutely loved. We hit lounges, Disney Springs, enjoyed mixing in some lazy morning late starts with LL stacking, etc. Though somehow, even with all that time, we didn't end up spending much at AK due to a series of snafus.

We will be doing 10 days next year, though all at Poly because a friend is coming with us and she's a first timer so I want to let her avoid moving day. I find that split stays are ideal for longer trips though because the change of scenery makes it feel like 2 vacations in one, and splitting specifically between monorail and Crescent Lake resorts lets you walk to 3 parks. We still went to Epcot and HS from Poly, generally hopping over in the evenings. But the bulk of our time at Epcot and HS was in the first part of the trip at YC.

I also find that I can't do more than like 5 days at Crescent Lake, regardless of where I'm staying. dgmw, I love it over there being able to walk to 2 parks and the Friendship boats are a fave, but I start getting a bit stir crazy at BC/YC if I'm there too long because of how samey it looks and I find 4 days is about the sweet spot for me. Ditto Swan and Dolphin, though I could probably do a week there if I wanted--I actually prefer their pool to SAB! Mainly I just find traveling to and from MK so irritating when not staying close by.

9-10 days for us. We prefer slower pace long trips. We like to really enjoy the hotel too.
This is really the main reason we like doing long trips too. We go often enough that the resort is as much a destination as the parks, if not more, and we really enjoy having the time to take advantage of the on site amenities. I can never justify an entire pool day on my long weekend trips, and I always miss it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter