Gratuity Question - Las Vegas 3 day tour & Navajo guide

Karin1984

DIS Veteran
After my visit to Disneyland, I am going to Las Vegas, and will do a 3 day tour visiting Zion & Bryce National Park, Grand Canyon etc. The website specifies the tour fare doesn't include tour guide gratuity.
As a European, I am not that used to tipping, especially not with tours like this.

How much would you tip the guide?
I'm travelling solo. The tour is 3 full days. Total price is about $900, including transport, hotel, several meals and entrance fees.

Additional question, for one part we will have a local Navajo guide. This tour within the tour is $75
It doesn't specify, but I assume it's expected to tip the Navajo guide as well. Unless there are cultural reasons Navajo do not or cannot accept tips?

All help and advice is much appreciated!

Is the guide also the motor coach driver? If not, I would tip the driver as well. Also, where are staying? B&B, motel, national park lodge at Zion? Based on the type, plan on potentially a few dollars to $20 for a night in a b&b.

What I have tipped on similiar:
Driver - $20 per day
Tour guide - assuming these are 8-10 hours days - $50-100 per day. This depends on how well they present the content. Soft spoken and can’t hear them, less. Kind and engaging, more.
Navajo presenter $10-15 assuming theirs is an hour.

Tip him/her/them a total of 10 to 20 percent of the tour cost NOT INCLUDING the cost of the hotel and any included meals. You only need to tip people for the portion of service they provide. So the driver and/or tour guide do not need to be tipped for the hotel/meals, just for the driving and guiding you on the tour.
If the add on tour is, as you say, $75, a $10 tip will be absolutely fine

Tip him/her/them a total of 10 to 20 percent of the tour cost NOT INCLUDING the cost of the hotel and any included meals. You only need to tip people for the portion of service they provide. So the driver and/or tour guide do not need to be tipped for the hotel/meals, just for the driving and guiding you on the tour.
If the add on tour is, as you say, $75, a $10 tip will be absolutely fine
Thank you, that helps.

I am now wondering what the guide will do, as we can hike or explore on our own often, the evenings are time off. Looking again at the day to day description, it sounds more like the guide is mainly the driver. And the Navajo guide will be really explaining more about Antelope Canyon, the history, nature etc.

Don’t overthink it, you’re tipping the driver/guide for the transport/been a tour guide part of the trip. If you think it’s worth 20 bucks, tip 20 bucks. If you think their service is worth $100, tip that.

For me on a $900 tour I’d tip the driver $30 to $50 depending on how good/friendly/helpful they were. Problem is they can get a bit obsequious chasing a tip which can be annoying for those of us from outside the USA, just politely tell them to calm down a bit if they are been a bit OTT.

Other thing is you may need to tip for your meals, check whether tips for meals provided in the cost of the tour are included or not. If not, 15% to 20% would be fine for that or $5pp for breakfast/lunch, $10pp for dinner. I’m assuming the meals are going to be about $20 to $30pp for breakfast/lunch, about $50pp for dinner.

Final thing about tipping. When you are not on a tour and getting meals in a table service cafe/restaurant, tip 15% to 20% on the PRE-TAX cost of the meal. The bill/check will be itemised. But do remember, tipping is not a legal requirement so the amount is always up to you.

Having been on two very inclusive trips around the four corners area of the southwest US, I would leave $5-10 a night for housekeeping, 20% is standard at restaurants (more if you want), tour guide $50 day, driver $50 (3 days) and the Navajo Presenter $50 or even $100.

Having spent time in the presence of various Native American Presenters, I have found it awe inspiring and an honor to be with them and listen to their history.

Have an assortment of bills in your pocket so you can decide on the fly. I am sure you will make everyone happy!

Enjoy that wonderful trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter