Switch to RPR Club level over PBH for peace of mind, but at a cost...

MamaKate

Simply meant to be...
After seeing the all the construction photos at PBH, I really started to worry about our upcoming stay at the end of May. I knew there was construction when I booked but didn't know it was that intrusive.

For the last couple weeks, I've been stalking the APH booking site and I found a room at RPR in a club level room. So, my question is, is it worth an extra $730 for 5-nights for a family of 4 to change to RPR? In reality it won't be that much more because we will be saving on breakfast, snacks, and drinks.

My frugal heart is saying no, but my sanity is saying yes.

I would say without trying you could consider it $15/person/day with just light breakfast & 2 beverages. If you would otherwise buy breakfast daily, and utilize the beverages more fully, it's more like $20+/person/day. You can bring the beverages to the parks, that's $4.29+ for each drink you don't buy in the parks. Cans of soda fit upright in the free lockers (barely, but enough). Would you also do a dinner at the club, and maybe grab some snacks or evening desserts? Figure saving $80-100+ for a club dinner (including booze) one night. So $20/person/day + $100 one dinner is $500 right there. If you are utilizing it well, it can easily be a lot more. Though if you are really really frugal, maybe not as much if you would just do free water and bring snacks from home otherwise?

Dealing with construction is not pleasant on a vacation. PBR is a lovely resort, but it's hard to appreciate it's charm in the current state. RPR is closer to the parks and easily walkable, even when it's hot. The club lounge is a nice convenience, especially with kids. The pool is great. If it's not going to cause a financial burden, I recommend making the switch.

I would say without trying you could consider it $15/person/day with just light breakfast & 2 beverages. If you would otherwise buy breakfast daily, and utilize the beverages more fully, it's more like $20+/person/day. You can bring the beverages to the parks, that's $4.29+ for each drink you don't buy in the parks. Cans of soda fit upright in the free lockers (barely, but enough). Would you also do a dinner at the club, and maybe grab some snacks or evening desserts? Figure saving $80-100+ for a club dinner (including booze) one night. So $20/person/day + $100 one dinner is $500 right there. If you are utilizing it well, it can easily be a lot more. Though if you are really really frugal, maybe not as much if you would just do free water and bring snacks from home otherwise?
Good points! I do believe we will utilize the club lounge several times because in general our touring style is not rope dropping but getting there fairly early and having lunch in the parks and then returning to the hotel for a break. Then we return to the parks once the sun starts to go down and stay until closing.

Honestly, I'm not "that" frugal, but I do like getting the most bang for my buck. Just knowing I can put the extra money towards a future trip is really where I have conflict. More Vacations = Better 😎.

Dealing with construction is not pleasant on a vacation. PBR is a lovely resort, but it's hard to appreciate it's charm in the current state. RPR is closer to the parks and easily walkable, even when it's hot. The club lounge is a nice convenience, especially with kids. The pool is great. If it's not going to cause a financial burden, I recommend making the switch.

We have stayed at Portofino several times and love it there. But the construction is stressing me out. My family says they are fine either way, but I know it will bother me. Plus it looks like it hard to get from one point to another right now.

I'm starting to lean towards moving to RPR just to ensure a more relaxing trip.

I know it will bother me.
That might be your answer in and of itself. It's not worth being stressed on vacation. And if you're back to the room several times a day, the construction will be more in your face.

1-2 evenings of hitting club dinner and heading back to the parks will be your break-even, probably. The extra space in the club lounge will also help offset the smaller rooms at RPR.

You can always book the club & still just keep an eye on AP rates for a normal room at RPR or HRH.

I recently changed my reservation from PBH to HRH, which increased the cost by about $600.

I do like PBH, but the main reason I prefer it is the general ambience of the resort - mostly fairly quiet and I can sit by the harbour and enjoy the sights and sounds. Which I think will be lost with all the construction going on right now.

But other people may be different and not care so much about the construction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter